ADVERTISEMENT

Thomas Gilman - World Champion

TG is wrestling the best he ever has. Thanks to Iowa and PSU. Both have had huge impacts on his career. More impressive, to me, is the fact that he doesn't come off like a cocky arrogant knucklehead any longer.

Reactions: Trapper85
Congrats to Thomas. Regardless of who he trains with now, he will always be a Hawk in my eyes. It is a lot easier to cheer for him when he isn't smack talking the Hawks, that is for sure. I really wonder if we will ever see him and Spencer wrestle in the future. I could see Thomas winding down and starting the next stage in his life, but maybe he will continue wrestling for one more cycle. Always liked him as a Hawk and will cheer for him against anyone other than a current Hawk in the future.

Congrats to Thomas on winning gold. Tough to see Taylor and Snyder fall short. Hmmm....

<<you could almost see it in their eyes. Like something was missing.>>

Maybe training at the NLWC is not working for them. 😳

Congrats to Thomas on winning gold. Tough to see Taylor and Snyder fall short. Hmmm....

Id more wonder why someone like Zain or Nolf arent even contenders at this point.

Also, why is Nico not the one winning titles?

Last edited:
It's hard to argue this. It's so strange because those matches he would lose at nationals, you could almost see it in his eyes. Like something was missing. That was nowhere to be found in the olympics or in this world championship.

It is similar to Bull. I don't understand it. Too much pressure? Are we not as good with the mental side of things? And with Bull it has been Friday Morning the last two years. Struggles to finish, gets taken down late to lose a close one.
I think a big part of it is growing up and maturing. Understanding that mind set maybe the most important part of pre-match preparation.

Mark Hall is the most surprising. One NCAA title and no real senior level success... I wouldn't have figured that five years ago.
Same here. There was a time when most people thought he was the heir apparent at 74kg, myself included. As talented as he is, he just hasn’t been able to develop a consistent leg attack that works on the best wrestlers, and you’ll never make it in senior level freestyle without consistent ability to create offense.

Reactions: thedecider

Point taken, but you are talking about two Olympic champions and multi-time NCAA champs where I was talking about someone we all expected similar from but didn't see.

Point taken, but you are talking about two Olympic champions and multi-time NCAA champs where I was talking about someone we all expected similar from but didn't see.
And yet, they all ended up at the same place. Kinda

Same here. There was a time when most people thought he was the heir apparent at 74kg, myself included. As talented as he is, he just hasn’t been able to develop a consistent leg attack that works on the best wrestlers, and you’ll never make it in senior level freestyle without consistent ability to create offense.
I think he absolutely has the skills to compete at the highest level but having the desire to do it and to put in the work needed to compete at that level is an incredible grind. I really don't think that fire was there for him anymore. I don't think it was there his senior season either. This is an incredibly tough sport mentally and physically and I think he was just wanting to move on to the next chapter in his life.

I wouldn't count Hall out yet. While I'm no fan of his, he did win 2 Jr World FS titles, the last by TF. You have to consider the weight class he's in ... some of the best FS guys in U.S. history in Burroughs & Dake.

I wouldn't count Hall out yet. While I'm no fan of his, he did win 2 Jr World FS titles, the last by TF. You have to consider the weight class he's in ... some of the best FS guys in U.S. history in Burroughs & Dake.
He’s going to be going 86 for the remainder of his career. Even if DT retires he can’t beat Zahid.

Reactions: pumpdog20
I think he absolutely has the skills to compete at the highest level but having the desire to do it and to put in the work needed to compete at that level is an incredible grind. I really don't think that fire was there for him anymore. I don't think it was there his senior season either. This is an incredibly tough sport mentally and physically and I think he was just wanting to move on to the next chapter in his life.
He's a tweener for the Olympic weights. The cut to 74 is too much and he doesn't have the frame for 86. He's only 5'9".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT