ADVERTISEMENT

***Thomas Meyer Commits!***

boom smile GIF

Has he mentioned if they are indeed recruiting him as a TE? Has the size and athleticism to go at more than one position it seems.

Reactions: obfuscating
What are you talking about? With rare exceptions, Iowa has dominated in-state recruiting under Kirk.
Misses off the top of my head Pierschbacher, Adrian Arrington, Amara Darboh, Max Duggan, Tommy Fidone, TJ Bollers, Oliver Martin, DePaepe and Proctor. Yes two of those came back but they should’ve been Hawkeyes out of the gate. When you’re Iowa, you can’t let the top guys in your state leave. Period. Like I said, getting better but need to keep locking it down, I think Nwankpa was a big deal to get the truly national recruits to look at Iowa as more than the hometown school.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
Misses off the top of my head Pierschbacher, Adrian Arrington, Amara Darboh, Max Duggan, Tommy Fidone, TJ Bollers, Oliver Martin, DePaepe and Proctor. Yes two of those came back but they should’ve been Hawkeyes out of the gate. When you’re Iowa, you can’t let the top guys in your state leave. Period. Like I said, getting better but need to keep locking it down, I think Nwankpa was a big deal to get the truly national recruits to look at Iowa as more than the hometown school.
Lolol... So Iowa should NEVER lose top guys occassionally to schools like Bama, or Michigan. Really? You think it doesn't happen in every other state that a guy might chose a top 5 program elsewhere? Expectations here are ridiculous. Overall KF has done a great job recruiting top Iowa players. There will always be a few exceptions. Saying you can't "let" guys go elsewhere??

Lolol... So Iowa should NEVER lose top guys occassionally to schools like Bama, or Michigan. Really? You think it doesn't happen in every other state that a guy might chose a top 5 program elsewhere? Expectations here are ridiculous. Overall KF has done a great job recruiting top Iowa players. There will always be a few exceptions. Saying you can't "let" guys go elsewhere??
I see his point, Iowa doesn't produce a bunch of high end recruits, there's maybe one elite prospect per recruiting class, usually a few decent prospects, and the rest are small school crystal ball kids that Iowa has made the bread and butter of their program.

Iowa has lost out on many / most of the few "elite" prospects, the win ratio isn't good. But on the flip side, Iowa loses a Piersbacher but finds a Jack Campbell. Iowa loses Adrian Arrington but finds Josie Jewell.

I see his point, Iowa doesn't produce a bunch of high end recruits, there's maybe one elite prospect per recruiting class, usually a few decent prospects, and the rest are small school crystal ball kids that Iowa has made the bread and butter of their program.

Iowa has lost out on many / most of the few "elite" prospects, the win ratio isn't good. But on the flip side, Iowa loses a Piersbacher but finds a Jack Campbell. Iowa loses Adrian Arrington but finds Josie Jewell.

I’d agree if Iowa wasn’t regularly getting the majority of the top in-state commits year in and year out.

I’d agree if Iowa wasn’t regularly getting the majority of the top in-state commits year in and year out.
They do. But when the #1 is an elite prospect, outside of X, when was the last time Iowa landed the elite, EVERYBODY wants guy? Kirk has done a GREAT job fending off Iowa State, Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois, Mizzou, etc for the high 3* and the 4* guys in the state. It's awfully tough sometimes for legacy guys who choose Iowa State because their dad or uncle or whoever played there. But when all things are equal, Kirk has a pretty good stranglehold on the in-state talent.

They do. But when the #1 is an elite prospect, outside of X, when was the last time Iowa landed the elite, EVERYBODY wants guy? Kirk has done a GREAT job fending off Iowa State, Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois, Mizzou, etc for the high 3* and the 4* guys in the state. It's awfully tough sometimes for legacy guys who choose Iowa State because their dad or uncle or whoever played there. But when all things are equal, Kirk has a pretty good stranglehold on the in-state talent.

I’d also add that timing regarding a commitment has a massive impact on their recruiting rankings. Forget the guys name from this years class (OL I think) but he committed fairly eary in the process, made clear he wasn’t switching so his recruiting rankings never moved that much after he committed.

I can’t remember the last time Iowa lost more in-state recruits than it got so I’m not going to be too worried here.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
I’d also add that timing regarding a commitment has a massive impact on their recruiting rankings. Forget the guys name from this years class (OL I think) but he committed fairly eary in the process, made clear he wasn’t switching so his recruiting rankings never moved that much after he committed.

I can’t remember the last time Iowa lost more in-state recruits than it got so I’m not going to be too worried here.
Fox.

Yeah, Iowa does quite well when it comes to keeping top recruits home. In any given year, Iowa’s taking 3-4 of the top five kids.

Minnesota, Illinois, and even Missouri are neighboring state schools that have a much harder time keeping top talent home, and they don’t even have another major state school to deal with.

Fox.

Yeah, Iowa does quite well when it comes to keeping top recruits home. In any given year, Iowa’s taking 3-4 of the top five kids.

Minnesota, Illinois, and even Missouri are neighboring state schools that have a much harder time keeping top talent home, and they don’t even have another major state school to deal with.
It makes sense though, Illinois/missouri last year according to 247 had 9/10 ranked as 4* guys.

Reactions: Birky
Has he mentioned if they are indeed recruiting him as a TE? Has the size and athleticism to go at more than one position it seems.
PP told him to change to "ATH" in his bio so PP can poach him from the offense.

Any player looking at Iowa during the BF OC era, I don't blame one bit for leaving the state. Hopefully, TL is able to make the changes needed to keep in-state (ATH, QB, WR) talent "wanting" to come to Iowa to play offense.

It makes sense though, Illinois/missouri last year according to 247 had 9/10 ranked as 4* guys.
Certainly a factor, but there are several. No professional teams etc. You’ve heard them all.

I’d bet my hat Iowa fends off that blue blood competition at a higher rate than Minnesota, Missouri, and Illinois, but I’m not going for to take 2 hours to do a study. I’d guess Iowa is close to in line with Nebraska and Wisconsin.

If you think Iowa has a harder time keeping kids home than other flagship schools, as the poster I was replying to seemed to imply, then we’ll probably have to agree to disagree.

I think you were just making a point that it’s not an exact comparison. In that case, no, there is no such thing as a 1:1.

Reactions: BustingNarratives
Okay, I did a two minute study instead of 2 hours.

As you said, the competition is stiff, but woof. Last year Missouri got one of the top in the state of Missouri(so did Iowa.) In Illinois, Illinois pulled in zero. Wisconsin got like three of them.

This board would explode if that happened here, even the top ten recruits in the nation were all in the state of Iowa.

Okay, I did a two minute study instead of 2 hours.

As you said, the competition is stiff, but woof. Last year Missouri got one of the top in the state of Missouri(so did Iowa.) In Illinois, Illinois pulled in zero. Wisconsin got like three of them.

This board would explode if that happened here, even the top ten recruits in the nation were all in the state of Iowa.
Absolutely, and you had already made the point that the hawks pulled in 75% of their offers. I was just trying to make the point that it was really an apples to oranges comparison. Illinois will forever be a sleeping giant given their recruiting bed, and Mizzou has Lees Summit which as of recent has been an absolute monster.

Reactions: kceasthawk
that's a lot of talent on paper. but of all those players the ones i think iowa really missed are pierschbacher, proctor, and duggan. most of the rest it's the players who lost out. they would've gotten far more than they did by attending iowa.

Reactions: hexumhawk
Fidone was a miss? I'd say thanks he did not come here!

And whar is Bollers up der in Madison?

that's a lot of talent on paper. but of all those players the ones i think iowa really missed are pierschbacher, proctor, and duggan. most of the rest it's the players who lost out. they would've gotten far more than they did by attending iowa.
DUggan had no interest in Iowa given the offense that Iowa was running. P and P were looking at a Natty, which isn't going to happen at Iowa.

Reactions: desihawk
DUggan had no interest in Iowa given the offense that Iowa was running. P and P were looking at a Natty, which isn't going to happen at Iowa.
agreed on all counts but here's a controversial take -- even P1 who won 2 NCs at bama i suspect regrets going there today. even complete no-names who logged on-field time as OL at iowa routinely stick in the league and i think P1 does better for himself if he'd come here.

agreed on all counts but here's a controversial take -- even P1 who won 2 NCs at bama i suspect regrets going there today. even complete no-names who logged on-field time as OL at iowa routinely stick in the league and i think P1 does better for himself if he'd come here.
Let's not kid ourselves, Bama is an absolute OL factory. Now that may be due to the fact that they regularly garner 5* players. Just looking at the last 5 years.
2024: Mock JC Latham first rounder.
2023: Stean 3rd round
2022: Neal #7 overall
2021: Leatherwood #17 overall
2020: Wills #10 overall

Reactions: pink shizzle
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT