ADVERTISEMENT

***** Thread for Topics Not Deserving of their Own Thread *****

I just saw Billy Gardell and he is thin. Had gastric bypass.

I would say weight loss didn't make him look healthier

Billy-Gardell-Weight-Loss-Featured-Image.webp

This has been on my mind for a while. There is a thread like this on another forum I go on now and then. I think it keeps some clutter off the page. JMHO I know.

This is sort of a stream of consciousness thing really.

OK I will start.

I watch the Old Hawaii Five-O a lot on Pluto in the evenings. Or I have it on in the background. Generally its 70's crime stuff with comically depraved criminals, etc. Well last night they had a Vietnam episode, and it was really really harsh. About the son of a WWII hero general who kills himself after coming back from Vietnam. It starts out as the investigation of the murder of a decorated war hero, possibly by his own brother. It turns out the brother stopped one suicide attempt, then had a meltdown to the brother about the kids and old people he greased in Vietnam, and it was caught on tape. The other brother says "I aint getting drafted" and is heading to Canada. Well McGarret gets them all in a room at the end and they listen to the tape and its horrifying, even in 2023. Then the general turns to his living son and says "lets go home"...and the son says "No Dad, I am not going, even if I have to go to jail." Then the dad general says "Then I lost 2 sons". and walks out. End of Episode. Wow. That was unexpected on a Monday evening.

Halo, you mean halo is the other forum

I don’t understand why cereal doesn’t have a re-sealable bag. Eggos do.

I have a fear of dentists - paradontia?

I finally got an executed contract for a house (after writing 6 over as many months)

Packing sucks

Whoever made that Taylor swift vs Katy Perry thread is an idiot

/random thoughts

Reactions: win4jj
I don’t understand why cereal doesn’t have a re-sealable bag. Eggos do.

I have a fear of dentists - paradontia?

I finally got an executed contract for a house (after writing 6 over as many months)

Packing sucks

Whoever made that Taylor swift vs Katy Perry thread is an idiot

/random thoughts

Taylor swift writes her own music and is way hotter

This has been on my mind for a while. There is a thread like this on another forum I go on now and then. I think it keeps some clutter off the page. JMHO I know.

This is sort of a stream of consciousness thing really.

OK I will start.

I watch the Old Hawaii Five-O a lot on Pluto in the evenings. Or I have it on in the background. Generally its 70's crime stuff with comically depraved criminals, etc. Well last night they had a Vietnam episode, and it was really really harsh. About the son of a WWII hero general who kills himself after coming back from Vietnam. It starts out as the investigation of the murder of a decorated war hero, possibly by his own brother. It turns out the brother stopped one suicide attempt, then had a meltdown to the brother about the kids and old people he greased in Vietnam, and it was caught on tape. The other brother says "I aint getting drafted" and is heading to Canada. Well McGarret gets them all in a room at the end and they listen to the tape and its horrifying, even in 2023. Then the general turns to his living son and says "lets go home"...and the son says "No Dad, I am not going, even if I have to go to jail." Then the dad general says "Then I lost 2 sons". and walks out. End of Episode. Wow. That was unexpected on a Monday evening.
TL;DR

Reactions: JRHawk2003
This is why I love this thread. 5 people may have heard of Billie Holiday. Perhaps 1 or 2 may be interested in her reincarnation.

Reactions: Bonerfarts
Dirty little secret. Most any piece of furniture, tool, gizmo, gadget or whatever can be bought at a fraction of the retail price at estate sales, auctions, 2nd hand stores, etc. Inspect, test, purchase.

Quality hand built hardwood furniture for less than sawdust and glue rubbish they want you to buy (oh and assemble yourself, thanks). Buy tools and small appliances from when they were built to last.

Reactions: Bonerfarts
So my (no pic) wife started binging the Apple+ show, Shrinking, yesterday as I was finishing up some work. I joined her at around episode three and we finished the season by late evening. This is a brilliant show, with fantastic writing and characters.

Afterwords, I mentioned that I came away from the show with sort of a Ted Lasso vibe in how the characters related to one another and how it makes me feel after watching.

So this morning, I’m just cruising the internet and I found the common thread… Brett Goldstein, who plays Roy Kent in Ted Lasso but is also one of that show’s writers and key creative forces, is also the writer behind Shrinking.

I’m thinking this Brett Goldstein fella may be one of the most talented and perhaps underrated writers/creators of our time.

/csb and thanks, OP, for giving me a place to put this.

Reactions: BelemNole
So my (no pic) wife started binging the Apple+ show, Shrinking, yesterday as I was finishing up some work. I joined her at around episode three and we finished the season by late evening. This is a brilliant show, with fantastic writing and characters.

Afterwords, I mentioned that I came away from the show with sort of a Ted Lasso vibe in how the characters related to one another and how it makes me feel after watching.

So this morning, I’m just cruising the internet and I found the common thread… Brett Goldstein, who plays Roy Kent in Ted Lasso but is also one of that show’s writers and key creative forces, is also the writer behind Shrinking.

I’m thinking this Brett Goldstein fella may be one of the most talented and perhaps underrated writers/creators of our time.

/csb and thanks, OP, for giving me a place to put this.

Apple seems to have some good shows. The Tetris thing interests me but I already have too much streaming.

I've recently purchased a couple stereo equipment items that I have been looking for quite awhile (years), used and fairly priced, that worked perfect.

It was cool that there are actually some fair and honest sellers out there still.
I did the same thing recently. Was looking for some specific equipment to pair with a mint condition high-end turntable from the early 80s I was given last year. Over the past couple months I was able to find a 70s era Pioneer receiver I’d been looking for and a pair of 70s Boston Acoustics speakers that I wasn’t familiar with, but work perfect with the system. All in fantastic condition. It’s been fun to set up and play with.

I did the same thing recently. Was looking for some specific equipment to pair with a mint condition high-end turntable from the early 80s I was given last year. Over the past couple months I was able to find a 70s era Pioneer receiver I’d been looking for and a pair of 70s Boston Acoustics speakers that I wasn’t familiar with, but work perfect with the system. All in fantastic condition. It’s been fun to set up and play with.

Yeah, I just can't help myself. Sitting in my listening room right now, 3 systems set up. Sort of my small scale old school electronics "wall of sound" equipment-wise.

In fact, heading out shortly to purchase an inexpensive tuner that needs some work...gonna begin teaching myself some recapping basics with it. I have zero true need for it because I've already got 3 damn good ones, but it's considered a pretty good tuner and is little money...no better way to begin learning how that on it.

What I need is to up my speakers game, but those are much harder to come by $ wise. Hoping once garage sale season begins I can find some steals.

Why doesn’t America and Canada just consolidate? Like two high schools. We just make one badder ass country. The United States of Americanda.

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye

I have a Marantz 2235B receiver. I love the thing. Weighs like 50 lbs.

I've recently purchased a couple stereo equipment items that I have been looking for quite awhile (years), used and fairly priced, that worked perfect.

It was cool that there are actually some fair and honest sellers out there still.
Not sure how I missed this post but it makes me happy.

Yeah, I just can't help myself. Sitting in my listening room right now, 3 systems set up. Sort of my small scale old school electronics "wall of sound" equipment-wise.

In fact, heading out shortly to purchase an inexpensive tuner that needs some work...gonna begin teaching myself some recapping basics with it. I have zero true need for it because I've already got 3 damn good ones, but it's considered a pretty good tuner and is little money...no better way to begin learning how that on it.

What I need is to up my speakers game, but those are much harder to come by $ wise. Hoping once garage sale season begins I can find some steals.
If you’re around Waterloo I have many pair of quality vintage speakers. Pioneer hpm 100s, Accoustic Reasearch AR 2ax, 1960s Advents, Sansui, Cerwin Vegas (the big ones) and who knows what else.

I have a ‘record / stereo store’ that I haven’t bothered to even visit in over a year. Stuff just sitting there. Monster receivers all gone but plenty of other gear, turntables, black receivers, tape decks, reel to reel.

Inspect and test all you like. If interested in purchase, price is 1/2 of what similar is bringing on eBay. Either it’s a fantastic deal for you or I won’t sell.

If you’re around Waterloo I have many pair of quality vintage speakers. Pioneer hpm 100s, Accoustic Reasearch AR 2ax, 1960s Advents, Sansui, Cerwin Vegas (the big ones) and who knows what else.

I have a ‘record / stereo store’ that I haven’t bothered to even visit in over a year. Stuff just sitting there. Monster receivers all gone but plenty of other gear, turntables, black receivers, tape decks, reel to reel.

Inspect and test all you like. If interested in purchase, price is 1/2 of what similar is bringing on eBay. Either it’s a fantastic deal for you or I won’t sell.
The speakers (Boston Acoustics A200) that I picked up came from a store similar to yours. A guy in St. Charles, MO has literally dozens and dozens of receivers, turntables, speakers, tape decks, etc. that he has purchased at estate sales over the years. He cleans/replaces bulbs/recaps stereos and turntables and refoams speakers as needed and everything is for sale. Same thing as you, prices at about 1/2 of eBay prices.

He’s also an expert on Technics turntables and various cartridges. I took in my receiver and he took it apart and cleaned knobs and switches with deoxit and replaced the bulbs with LED. He also had me bring in my tone arm with cartridge and adjusted it.

It’s cool to see all the vintage 60s, 70s, 80s stereo equipment still out there in like new condition.

• Love
Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
The speakers (Boston Acoustics A200) that I picked up came from a store similar to yours. A guy in St. Charles, MO has literally dozens and dozens of receivers, turntables, speakers, tape decks, etc. that he has purchased at estate sales over the years. He cleans/replaces bulbs/recaps stereos and turntables and refoams speakers as needed and everything is for sale. Same thing as you, prices at about 1/2 of eBay prices.

He’s also an expert on Technics turntables and various cartridges. I took in my receiver and he took it apart and cleaned knobs and switches with deoxit and replaced the bulbs with LED. He also had me bring in my tone arm with cartridge and adjusted it.

It’s cool to see all the vintage 60s, 70s, 80s stereo equipment still out there in like new condition.
That dude puts me to shame! My ‘store’ is just a room in a building my friend owns. I’ve never advertised, just occasionally bring a customer over. Smart consumers seek out and find quality at their price.

Me and that guy and plenty of others are just lifers. We’re everywhere, you just have to dig!

Reactions: VodkaSam

HPM 100's (drooling noises)...

Pioneer in the 1970's...damn they made some great gear. Back when I was a kid, they were The King in my circle of friends, especially when the stereo wars kicked into high gear.

Whenever this board has threads along the lines of "if you won the lottery, what would be the first item you'd buy..." - I'd have a difficult time not picking up say an SX-1980 or a complete SPEC system. People like to talk about Marantz and McIntosh from that era, but I'd have a hard time not going for either of those.

Aw hell, why not both :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT