ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Scott Announces Presidential Exploratory Committee for 2024

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina, the most prominent Black leader in the Republican Party, started an exploratory committee for a 2024 presidential run on Wednesday.
During a Wednesday morning interview with Fox and Friends detailing his announcement, Mr. Scott said his decision to form the committee was born out of the weeks he has spent touring early primary states, including Iowa, New Hampshire and his home state, South Carolina.
“I have found that people are starving for hope. They’re starving for an optimistic, positive message that is anchored in conservative values,” he said.
The announcement, which was first reported by The Post and Courier of Charleston, S.C., opens an all-but-declared presidential campaign for Mr. Scott. An exploratory committee will allow the senator, who would enter the Republican primary with nearly $21.8 million on hand in his Senate account, to raise money directly for a 2024 campaign and garner more national attention before a formal presidential announcement. He will host a donor retreat in Charleston this weekend, where he is expected to update his top donors on his plans.
Story continues below advertisement
Continue reading the main story

Allies have already established a super PAC that is expected to be supportive of Mr. Scott, should he make his run official. Last week, the PAC announced that it was expanding through the hiring of two veteran South Carolina political operatives, Matt Moore and Mark Knoop.

Mr. Scott also teased his plans to run in a fund-raising email to supporters on Tuesday evening, saying he would soon make “a major announcement.” On Wednesday, he released a three-minute video online outlining his personal story and political ambitions.
“I know America is a land of opportunity, not a land of oppression. I know it because I lived it,” he said, criticizing Mr. Biden’s administration. “I will never back down in defense of the conservative values that make America exceptional.”
Mr. Scott, who will campaign in Iowa on Wednesday, in New Hampshire on Thursday and in South Carolina on Friday, is expected to heavily emphasize his only-in-America rise, a story he first told on the national stage at the 2020 Republican National Convention.
“Our family went from cotton to Congress in one lifetime,” Mr. Scott said. “And that’s why I believe the next American century can be better than the last.” In 2021, he was tapped to deliver the Republican response to President Biden’s first joint address before Congress, a speech that turbocharged Mr. Scott’s online fund-raising.
Story continues below advertisement
Continue reading the main story

It is that personal story that he believes will resonate most with voters, he told Fox News on Wednesday. Asked if that would be enough to beat former President Donald J. Trump, who maintains a sizable lead in the Republican presidential primary, Mr. Scott pivoted to criticism of national Democrats.
“The field of play is focusing on President Biden’s failures,” he said, and later added, “I believe we give the voters a choice so that they can decide how we move forward as opposed to trying to have a conversation about how to be a Republican. I think we’re better off having that conversation about beating Joe Biden.”
Mr. Scott’s biography, his oratorical skills and his prominence as the top-ranking Black Republican in Congress have him on many Republican short lists to serve as a potential vice president, though advisers to Mr. Scott have rebuffed that as the goal.
If and when Mr. Scott officially enters the race, he will be the second South Carolina Republican in the 2024 sweepstakes, following the entry of Nikki Haley, the former governor and former United Nations ambassador. He also joins an increasingly crowded primary field for president: Former President Donald J. Trump, former Gov. Asa Hutchinson of Arkansas and the tech entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy have all begun campaigns. Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida is expected to join the field in the coming months.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Even tho Iowa lost 1st in nation caucus status with democrats the impact will be minimal since Biden is the slam dunk on that side.
But with the GOP, Iowa remains the focus of the attention.
Scott is coming today to join the parade of hopefuls coming to Iowa.
Trump lost to Ted Cruz in Iowa in 2016.
I think it will be wide open in 2024.

They are not even competent on the most basic of levels. Expect outbreaks of Cholera, etc. in their states as they reject things like woke waste water and drinking water systems. After all...them thinkin libs made all that stuff....

Own the Lib! This is your chance. Dig a hole in your backyard and start pooping in it! Don't be woke.

Why not?

In reality he seem like he has common sense that believes in a limited federal government while having the ability to work with the other side. Much better than anyone else who has said they are running for POTUS from the Republican side other than maybe Haley.
And, unfortunately, that means he has very little chance of winning the Republican Party of Trump nomination.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Seems a little late in the game to just explore. Why not just announce? Unless the exploring is waiting for Trump to get another indictment.

• Haha
Reactions: Ehhhdolph
He sounds like pretty much every other Republican, and continues to enable and support Trump. Anyone who does that is not to be taken seriously:

After the private event with homeschool families Wednesday morning, Scott planned to have lunch with a group of area pastors before speaking at the Cedar Rapids Country Club in the evening.

He said his faith would be an important part of any future campaign.

“My foundation as an individual is one that's formed by my grandmother, my mother's faith,” he said. “And it certainly resonated with me when I was growing up that when things are scarce, the one thing that was in abundance was faith and love.”

So far, the presidential field has been defined by Trump, who continues to command the support of his base, despite legal troubles on multiple fronts.

More:Why Donald Trump's arrest may help his presidential campaign in the 2024 Iowa caucuses

Scott suggested the issue is a distraction, saying politicians should spend more time focusing on the voters they serve. But he also suggested the indictment against Trump was politically motivated.

“The weaponizing of the law against political enemies only weakens the fabric of our country,” he said. “It brings into question whether or not the laws of this country are going to be used as a weapon against those folks that we don't like. I will say that as a guy that understands that experience too much, too familiar — that's a bad direction for this country.”

The way Trump has eroded common decency and made awful things normal, he'll probably just call him Black Tim and no one on the right would bat en eye.
Well we have liberals on here(see the Clarence Thomas thread) and in the media who call any Republican African American "Uncle Tom" so it would be nothing new.

Trump will be the nominee AINEC. Silly for anyone else to even think about it.
Unfortunately you are probably right but there is hope that a decent man and with decent causes could beat him in a primary. Scott seems to be that guy, now its a matter if he can gain any traction. Seems he already has some big donors backing him which helps.

Unfortunately you are probably right but there is hope that a decent man and with decent causes could beat him in a primary. Scott seems to be that guy, now its a matter if he can gain any traction. Seems he already has some big donors backing him which helps.

A decent man has no chance in today’s GOP. Even when Trump is gone, MTG, Gaetz, Jim Jordan, etc. will be the driving force. Hatred, retaliation, and performance art is what 35% of our people want.

Well we have liberals on here(see the Clarence Thomas thread) and in the media who call any Republican African American "Uncle Tom" so it would be nothing new.
Lulz. It's always grievances and race with you. Scott got down on his knees and swallowed for Trump, the guy you supposedly hate. Don't ever lecture us about how common sense Scott is, and how he'll reach out to Dems when he supported Trump. He has had his chances to lead, and he has failed.
Trump will destroy Scott if he isn't in prison.

The way Trump has eroded common decency and made awful things normal, he'll probably just call him Black Tim and no one on the right would bat en eye.
Not to mention the eye roll when he talks about how Scott is a handsome fella, who just hasn't found the right lady to settle down with.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Lulz. It's always grievances and race with you. Scott got down on his knees and swallowed for Trump, the guy you supposedly hate. Don't ever lecture us about how common sense Scott is, and how he'll reach out to Dems when he supported Trump. He has had his chances to lead, and he has failed.
Trump will destroy Scott if he isn't in prison.
Always race? Lol you just make stuff up sometimes.

Scott is a decent man and to say otherwise is just your Team Blue blinders on. If he doesn’t say Trump is evil and should be in prison then your Team goes straight to the MAGA labeling. It’s a great play out of the playbook but at some point it’s not gonna work. Scott has called out Trump many times.

Scott is a decent man and to say otherwise is just your Team Blue blinders on. If he doesn’t say Trump is evil and should be in prison then your Team goes straight to the MAGA labeling. It’s a great play out of the playbook but at some point it’s not gonna work. Scott has called out Trump many times.
Sure he did. Then he did his bidding, bowed and scraped, and pandered to the cult members every time it really mattered.
My race comment was directed about how you ran to the Uncle Tom comments on Clarence Thomas. Such a standard deflection for you when corruption is afoot. You'd be beating yourself blind if a liberal justice was as corrupt as Thomas is.

No he’s not a decent man. He’s a liar who supported a grifter conman President. Scott knows right from wrong and he chose to support wrong. Eff him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT