ADVERTISEMENT

Time for Phil to move on

Over the top generalizations, stereotyping, and projecting have run amuck in this thread.

I think the funniest part is this "whiny pussies" trope and associating a group with it. Literally people complaining about other people complaining. Doesn't that also make the arbiter a whiny pussy?

Oh, the irony.
Nah it probably makes us trolls. I'm OK with being called a troll and making fun of whiny bitches for losing their shit over things the can't control and then tell us what they are going to do about not getting their way. Like we give a shit.

But it is fun trolling them. Next will be a name calling post along with a homosexual slur to prove they are a man and not a little bitch.

I can’t help but enjoy you….you honestly don’t have a side do you 😂😂

And I have always wondered how Tom escapes the fan boy hostility…there is 100 miles between us and Penn St😱
And how wide was the gap this year for football?

National Title.
Going Crazy GIF

Reactions: TailgateTom
Wow, have been busy and am just catching up.
Let's give the guy a chance.
11,000 yards passing 87 tds. He knows how to be a qb and what one is.
Also top 30ish scoring O 5 of 6 years.
Hopefully he told Kirk you have to let me pick my players and run the O.
We will know first game.

He deserves a chance to win something meaningful. He won’t get that here.
Sorry ... I'll call you out for bullshit.

Phil loves football. It strikes me that he's getting to do exactly what he loves to do at Iowa.

What is meaningful is the day-to-day ... his working with his guys and his fellow coaches. The particular stage he's on is gravy.

/And you are not thinking of Phil, but "what can I say to show my whiny-ness.*
No, 100% thinking of Phil and how maddening it has to be to be completely responsible for the success of the team while getting zero help from the head coach. But nice try tho.

Sorry ... I'll call you out for bullshit.

Phil loves football. It strikes me that he's getting to do exactly what he loves to do at Iowa.

What is meaningful is the day-to-day ... his working with his guys and his fellow coaches. The particular stage he's on is gravy.
You're right--every coach aspires to never win a title of any sort, and have absolutely zero shot at doing so. He can still exactly what he loves to do and to do that day-to-day stuff at a different program, right? He wouldn't be solely in charge of the teams success, either. Which one of us is full of bullshit again?

Last edited:
BURN IT DOWN!

BURN IT ALL DOWN!!!

fire-firefighter.gif

Just adding onto your message. But no, not burn it down. Make it better is all we went to see on the offensive side of the ball. Just not enthused about the OC hire but will wait and see as I keep saying it can’t get any worse but somehow did with each game vs ranked P5 teams and a general lack of offense vs non con and B1G west teams to squeak out wins.

Last edited:
You're right--every coach aspires to never win a title of any sort, and have absolutely zero shot at doing so. He can still exactly what he loves to do and to do that day-to-day stuff at a different program, right? He wouldn't be solely in charge of the teams success, either. Which one of us is full of bullshit again?
So every job ... every employer are all the same? They're all the same everywhere?

Phil has no desire to suffer fools. At Iowa, he doesn't need to play bullshit politics and suck up to players who are highly touted recruits. At some places, the boosters have undue sway ... and that can place a lot of pressure on assistants relating to which players they play.

At Iowa, Phil essentially has full autonomy. Kirk simply doesn't micromanage ... he constrains the philosophy ... but then its up to the coaching staff to implement THEIR VERSION of it. (As an aside ... folks might not understand or appreciate it ... but the fact that Iowa runs a bend-but-not-break D is due to Kirk.). Of course, the one exception is that Kirk has some strong opinions one some of the technical sides of OL-play ... so Kirk does "impose" that ... however, otherwise the assistants can place most of their focus on the purity of teaching football.

Anyhow, both Phil and Norm, have loved working with Kirk. There's a big difference between having a good boss and a bad boss. Kirk is one of the good ones. Kirk's long tenure also imbues him with an amount of power that is uncommon for most collegiate football coaches. Consequently, he's able to use that sway to shield his coaches from a lot of external stuff.

You may not understand or appreciate it ... but Kirk allows Phil to have a relatively "pure" focus on the game of football. You're erroneous in thinking that the DC at every program is afforded the same luxury. Phil has control over the guys who are (and who are not) in his room. Phil is one of the very few coaches out there who starts white corners. At other places, there would be pressure on him against having such a practice. At Iowa, walk-ons win starting safety positions with freakish frequency. Again, at other places, if boosters ponied up big money to fund an NIL deal for some particular recruit ... the coaches would feel a lot of pressure to play those guys. Phil is shielded from (most of) that.

Also, I know for a fact that Phil isn't the biggest fan of all that is involved with recruiting. Again, Kirk has traditionally lightened that burden for (some of) his coordinators.

Lastly, it's pretty common knowledge that many (if not most) programs utilize a talent-acquisition model as it relates to their programs. Consequently, more emphasis is placed on the gadgetry of Xs and Os. In contrast, under Kirk, Iowa prides itself as being a developmental program. That's not to say that the Xs and Os are ignored ... but that is still somewhat secondary to getting guys to execute their fundamentals on a very high level. Can you image the sense of ownership that Iowa's coaches have as it relates to their guys who develop well? Can you imagine the pride they have and the sense of accomplishment that they derive from those efforts? I know for a fact that the Iowa coaches perceive that they do things the "right way." Furthermore, they know (or think) that not every place does things the right way.

Don't get me wrong ... Phil definitely is a competitive guy. I'm sure he wants his guys to compete on the biggest stages. However, the fact also remains that very few teams actually get to do that. Ultimately, most folks want to have a job where they like who they're around, they want to feel valued, they want to produce something that they value, AND, ideally, they want to feel like they have some control over what they do.

Almost every metric relating to a positive work environment is met or exceeded at Iowa. You can imagine that Phil is likely smart enough to recognize when he has a good thing going. Furthermore, given the recent pay-raises ... he's getting very well compensated too (the value of his efforts are being recognized). So sorry ... I still think that your argument is bullshit.

I didn't once say everywhere is the same, but I promise you there other places who will afford Phil some of the same luxuries he's allowed here, along with a chance to win something of consequence...and not having to shoulder 100% of the burden to win games. As it is, you lost me at "white corner backs" and "Kirk doesn't micromanage" lol.

I didn't once say everywhere is the same, but I promise you there other places who will afford Phil some of the same luxuries he's allowed here, along with a chance to win something of consequence...and not having to shoulder 100% of the burden to win games. As it is, you lost me at "white corner backs" and "Kirk doesn't micromanage" lol.
It's clear that you don't understand the day-to-day operations if you cannot appreciate that Kirk doesn't micromanage his coaches. His philosophy constrains them ... sure. But there is no micromanaging.

Just watch/read interviews of coaches who address what it's like working with Kirk. Norm Parker has some nice comments out there explaining what its like working with Kirk. He's gone at length mentioning the latitude that he and the assistants have had under Kirk.

It's clear that you don't understand the day-to-day operations if you cannot appreciate that Kirk doesn't micromanage his coaches. His philosophy constrains them ... sure. But there is no micromanaging.

Just watch/read interviews of coaches who address what it's like working with Kirk. Norm Parker has some nice comments out there explaining what its like working with Kirk. He's gone at length mentioning the latitude that he and the assistants have had under Kirk.
I don’t need to read or watch anything, please trust me on that one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT