Time to Crean some players for next year

wbrhawkeye

HR MVP
Jun 12, 2012
1) Moss- grad transfer
2) Cook- Europe
3) Dailey- grad transfer
4) Connor can play baseball

Every team in the BIG has at least one guard who can penetrate and kick out to wide open shooters. Most have several guys. We have NONE!!!

Reactions: kcgolfer
If you care to look minorly intelligent.[/QUOTE]
If we are going to pick nits, there should not be a period after YOUR "You're".

And yet we are 10-8 in the league, i guess you'd rather be Illinois?

Currently 10-8, 10-9 after the L at Wisconsin. Who knows what will happen at Nebraska. In year nine going 11-9 or 10-10 with this roster and head cosch, I’d rather be Illini with a head coach that knows how to recruit in this league in year one and doesn’t go total meltdown mode, ala Fran. Tired of Fran’s shtick.

Let’s look at Iowa’s players and who is gonna get it done? Iowa has role players all over this roster and most would not see the court on any other B1G team. I’m amazed they’ve won 10 games in this league with this head coach.

1) Moss- grad transfer
2) Cook- Europe
3) Dailey- grad transfer

Every team in the BIG has at least one guard who can penetrate and kick out to wide open shooters. Most have several guys. We have NONE!!!

Who will take their place and how many wins next year?

Moss doesn’t need to go, he just needs to not be a starter. He’s a Big Ten caliber backup.

Cook should stay. He needs to bust his butt on the floor or he will lose playing time next year to Nunge and Pemsl. He’s playing like a shell of the player he was earlier this season. Early season Cook was a force. Current Cook is almost an afterthought.

Dailey shouldn’t be getting any minutes. If any of our starters other than our true freshman played defense, he wouldn’t be playing. Thankfully Daily didn’t redshirt when we all wanted him to and has only one year left. I’d doubt Fran could get anyone in next season better than Dailey.

Connor would be fine if he didn’t have to play so many minutes. Then we could hide his lack of shooting a bit more. Hopefully the new kid coming in next year can play 15-20 minutes at PG.

Reactions: skydog0784
1) Moss- grad transfer
2) Cook- Europe
3) Dailey- grad transfer

Cook better stay, no way any team is gonna take him.

Moss just disappears at times. If his first shot doesn’t go down then he’s done for. I’d keep him.

Connor & Daley need to go. Neither of them are Div 1 basketball players. Hell Wyatt Lohaus is better than Connor.

Moss doesn’t need to go, he just needs to not be a starter. He’s a Big Ten caliber backup.

Cook should stay. He needs to bust his butt on the floor or he will lose playing time next year to Nunge and Pemsl. He’s playing like a shell of the player he was earlier this season. Early season Cook was a force. Current Cook is almost an afterthought.

Dailey shouldn’t be getting any minutes. If any of our starters other than our true freshman played defense, he wouldn’t be playing. Thankfully Daily didn’t redshirt when we all wanted him to and has only one year left. I’d doubt Fran could get anyone in next season better than Dailey.

Connor would be fine if he didn’t have to play so many minutes. Then we could hide his lack of shooting a bit more. Hopefully the new kid coming in next year can play 15-20 minutes at PG.
Cook was a Good Cook when he established his post position WITHOUT the ball then accepted a pass and turned and scored.

Reactions: Pepperman
I think this team seems very disinterested. Creaning players at this time of year?
Cmon man!
What I would do is change the starting lineup. I start Connor, JBO, Weiskamp Kreiner and Garza.
Send a message to Cook and Moss for their lackluster performance these last few games.
Bring Baer and Dailey off the bench.its too bad we don’t have Fredrick because at this point he can’t be any worse then what we are getting from our guard play.

And yet we are 10-8 in the league, i guess you'd rather be Illinois?

Kind of a bad choice for an example...? We’re in 6th place with a veteran team, they’re in 9th with freshman....

Really ... who have we beaten? Iowa State (early). Ok. Michigan? Ok. Our best road win was at IU or at Rutgers which took a carnival miracle shot to pull off. Who else?

Illinois has beaten MSU, OSU at OSU, Maryland... their top three scores are two freshman and a soph. They have some really highly regarded bigs coming in next year in January and Cockburn and will most likely sign Adam Miller.

The needle seems to be pointing up for them. I hate them but honestly I like the way they play. We’ll see.... We’re limited athletically and I definitely DO NOT like the way we play.

Ask the same question next year.

Kind of a bad choice for an example...? We’re in 6th place with a veteran team, they’re in 9th with freshman....

Really ... who have we beaten? Iowa State (early). Ok. Michigan? Ok. Our best road win was at IU or at Rutgers which took a carnival miracle shot to pull off. Who else?

Illinois has beaten MSU, OSU at OSU, Maryland... their top three scores are two freshman and a soph. They have some really highly regarded bigs coming in next year in January and Cockburn and will most likely sign Adam Miller.

The needle seems to be pointing up for them. I hate them but honestly I like the way they play. We’ll see.... We’re limited athletically and I definitely DO NOT like the way we play.

Ask the same question next year.
Illinois always recruits better than Iowa. Results don’t show it though.

Reactions: perryhawk
LoL. Illannoy should have been good 10 years ago!

Ten years ago Illinois was a #5 seed, lost in the first round and their fans wanted the head coach fired.

Will Iowa be better than a #5 seed this year? Will they win their first round game?

Is iowa “good” this year?

Right now I honestly don’t know the answer to this question.

Last edited:
Ten years ago Illinois was a #5 seed, lost in the first round and their fans wanted the head coach fired.

Will Iowa be better than a #5 seed this year?

Is iowa “good” this year?

Right now I honestly don’t know the answer to this question.
Where was Iowa 10 years ago? What have each done since then?

Illinois always recruits better than Iowa. Results don’t show it though.

What results? What results do we have that are better than Illinois? One less tourney win than them over the past 9 years?

Finishing higher in the conference? BACK2BACK 3D PLACE, BAYYYBEEE!!! ... golf clap.

Head to head over the last 9 years? 8-8.

Seriously? What “results” are you talking about?

Last edited:
Where was Iowa 10 years ago? What have each done since then?

In the last ten years Illinois has one more tourney win than Iowa and leads the head to head record — they’ve done this during the worst ten year stretch in their program’s history. They’ve fired two head coaches during this period. We’ve given ours raises and extensions.

Again, I ask you seriously — what has iowa “done since then” that is so great? What? Please tell me? What am I missing?

And look what it got them... They have had ONE halfway decent team since! And those were with Bruce Weber's players.

Iowa needs more athletic guards who can Defend and score. Hopefully Joe T is a start. But we need a couple more.

Sure, but only if the replacements would be an upgrade.

There in lies that catch...our roster is pretty thin after the class of 2020. Fran and his staff should be out there selling playing time to top recruits NOW. Any talented player coming in could reasonably expect to see the court right away.

In the last ten years Illinois has one more tourney win than Iowa and leads the head to head record — they’ve done this during the worst ten year stretch in their program’s history. They’ve fired two head coaches during this period. We’ve given ours raises and extensions.

Again, I ask you seriously — what has iowa “done since then” that is so great? What? Please tell me? What am I missing?

Again, look where it has gotten Illannoy - nowhere. They are Lickliter bad, literally. Worse if you factor in that there is a massive amount of talent in the state.

And don't be counting the last year of Lick, nor Fran's first year.

There in lies that catch...our roster is pretty thin after the class of 2020. Fran and his staff should be out there selling playing time to top recruits NOW. Any talented player coming in could reasonably expect to see the court right away.
Connor needs to go. It is clearly apparent that he is getting playing time because of his last name. He totally slows the offense and everyone stops moving. Peels won't have any place next year so he should go to mid major or lower where he would be average player.

And look what it got them... They have had ONE halfway decent team since! And those were with Bruce Weber's players.

Iowa needs more athletic guards who can Defend and score. Hopefully Joe T is a start. But we need a couple more.
We need athletic bigs who who can rebound, play defense, and run the floor. That's not tooo much to ask for, is it?

Having a frank conversation with players about their future is the right way to do it.
Just telling them their schollie won't be renewed because it's going to someone better is the a-hole approach.

Even if players left of their own volition after an appropriate frank conversation, what makes you think that needed additions to the roster would be the result? The option was there for Fran after last season and we didn't see it happen.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Again, look where it has gotten Illannoy - nowhere. They are Lickliter bad, literally. Worse if you factor in that there is a massive amount of talent in the state.

And don't be counting the last year of Lick, nor Fran's first year.

?

Again... I am asking what Iowa has done that is so much better than Illinois. If Illinois is “Likliter bad”, what is Iowa? What can we point to that demonstrates that our program as so much better than Illinois’? What? Seriously. What? Nobody can seem to answer the question.

Yet ....Illinois has fired two head coaches and invested heavily in facilities while we have extended a coach who’s under .500 in the B1G for 9 seasons.

If some of you guys think teams like Rutgers and Illinois are going to be bad forever, you haven’t been paying attention.

Last edited:
?

Again... I am asking what Iowa has done that is so much better than Illinois. If Illinois is “Likliter bad”, what is Iowa? What can we point to that demonstrates that our program as so much better than Illinois’? What? Seriously. What? Nobody can seem to answer the question.

Yet ....Illinois has fired two head coaches and invested heavily in facilities while we have extended a coach who’s under .500 in the B1G for 9 seasons.

If some of you guys think teams like Rutgers and Illinois are going to be bad forever, you haven’t been paying attention.

For starters, How about Illinois being 10-18, and Iowa being 21-8??

I am not saying I wouldn't want a higher ceiling, of course we all would. But we return everyone and add a couple of 4-star recruits.

What results? What results do we have that are better than Illinois? One less tourney win than them over the past 9 years?

Finishing higher in the conference? BACK2BACK 3D PLACE, BAYYYBEEE!!! ... golf clap.

Head to head over the last 9 years? 8-8.

Seriously? What “results” are you talking about?
Well we can start with this year. You’d rather be Illinois this year? Seriously, if you Iowa to be Illinois then go be a fan of Illinois. Nobody is going to call you a bandwagon fan.

So Fran has whiffed on players (according to some here) yet they should pay the price by having their scholarship yanked? Makes sense.

Well we can start with this year. You’d rather be Illinois this year? Seriously, if you Iowa to be Illinois then go be a fan of Illinois. Nobody is going to call you a bandwagon fan.

Ok let’s start with that. We’ve won 4 more games in the league, are three places ahead of them when they have a team of freshmen....

Frankly, there’s really not that much of a difference. If we win an NCAA game, that’s something I’d count as significant. Neither team was ever a factor in the league race.

I just don’t think we’re in such a superior position with respect to Rutgers/PSU/Illinois. Rutgers was so clearly the better team yesterday (Illinois beat them). I don’t see where the high horse delusion comes from.

Would I take their freshmen and incoming recruits? You bet your ass I would.

Last edited:
When we had our best win streak in BIG and our win over Michigan we saw a lot of Garza/Kriener together. Since then not much of it. Really like them together. Kriener gave a great boost yesterday. Had chance to cut it to 7 twice. But course Cook Turnover, but we pull Kriener. Game quickly went to 20. Kriener never gets back in and he only plays 7 minutes but we have to watch 33 minutes of Cook.

Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT