ADVERTISEMENT

Time to look at the portal.

This. If we’re relying on Freeman to guard the 5 we’re looking at another year of foul trouble. Need to keep him on the court…better suited for the 4.
In what world is a guy who's 6'10+ and does all of his work within 5 feet from the basket a 4? Maybe 10 years ago that could work, but Owen is a 5 any way you slice it in modern basketball.

4s in modern basketball are perimeter players--he'd have to run around on the outside and guard guys like Malik Hall, Quincy Guerrier, Mason Gillis who are great 3 point shooters and would eat Owen's lunch off the dribble.

In what world is a guy who's 6'10+ and does all of his work within 5 feet from the basket a 4? Maybe 10 years ago that could work, but Owen is a 5 any way you slice it in modern basketball.

4s in modern basketball are perimeter players--he'd have to run around on the outside and guard guys like Malik Hall, Quincy Guerrier, Mason Gillis who are great 3 point shooters and would eat Owen's lunch off the dribble.
I’m talking on the the defensive end.

Krikke took the 5 when they were both in. Dembele did spot duty at the 5 on D as well.

But maybe I’m on crack😂😂😂

I’m talking on the the defensive end.

Krikke took the 5 when they were both in. Dembele did spot duty at the 5 on D as well.

But maybe I’m on crack😂😂😂
Krikke did not take the 5. Owen always did. Iowa regularly gave Krikke whoever the weakest perimeter player was because of how bad of a defender he is. Krikke got cooked regularly by matching up with opposing 4s.

Ladji is a bigger 4 who can play the 5. He's got enough lateral quickness to guard the guys mentioned plus on offense he has shown that he has a jump shot so it'll help with spacing. The challenge with Owen as a 4 if you paired him with another big man who was a back to the basket guy is that offense really struggles to flow smoothly because often times 1 defender can heavily help--it just really clogs driving lanes and forces guards to be really good shot creators on their own (something that would be really bad with the current guards we have). There's a reason that most teams play 4 out at minimum with some even opting for 5 out offenses--it just opens up the court way more and puts more strain on defenders guarding guys 1v1 in open space.

Krikke did not take the 5. Owen always did. Iowa regularly gave Krikke whoever the weakest perimeter player was because of how bad of a defender he is. Krikke got cooked regularly by matching up with opposing 4s.

Ladji is a bigger 4 who can play the 5. He's got enough lateral quickness to guard the guys mentioned plus on offense he has shown that he has a jump shot so it'll help with spacing. The challenge with Owen as a 4 if you paired him with another big man who was a back to the basket guy is that offense really struggles to flow smoothly because often times 1 defender can heavily help--it just really clogs driving lanes and forces guards to be really good shot creators on their own (something that would be really bad with the current guards we have). There's a reason that most teams play 4 out at minimum with some even opting for 5 out offenses--it just opens up the court way more and puts more strain on defenders guarding guys 1v1 in open space.
I defer to your obviously more informed opinion.

Yep, he just needs to get stronger and smarter.

I don't know if I'll ever get over Fran not allowing Kris and Keegan to play 5 out together.

It's really rare to have the right guys to pull that off in college, we'll probably never have the chance again.

I’d prefer Fran hit the portal. Time to rebuild.
Is that the next step in college basketball, if a team misses the NCAA tournament the coach has the option to basically fire any player on his roster without hesitation and rebuild by whatever means it may take. I guess that would satisfy some on here that is critical of the system as it is today....as long as the players are getting paid, might as treat them as professionals, right! **** loyalty

I will say that coaches have to deal with players leaving early using the portal as a means to play for another program. They may have worked hard to recruit those players and have been left with nothing in return. I don't blame Fran for disliking the way college basketball is heading. I myself do not like the idea that players can now transfer every year and become eligible immediately. The NCAA at some time in the future is going to have to control the mayhem.

Last edited:
Is that the next step in college basketball, if a team misses the NCAA tournament the coach has the option to basically fire any player on his roster without hesitation and rebuild by whatever means it may take. I guess that would satisfy some on here that is critical of the system as it is today....as long as the players are getting paid, might as treat them as professionals, right! **** loyalty

I will say that coaches have to deal with players leaving early using the portal as a means to play for another program. They may have worked hard to recruit those players and have been left with nothing in return. I don't blame Fran for disliking the way college basketball is heading. I myself do not like the idea that players can now transfer every year and become eligible immediately. The NCAA at some time in the future is going to have to control the mayhem.
No you mistake my intent. I prefer Fran be the person who hits the portal. Time for a change in direction of the program. What he is currently doing will not get Iowa out of the first week of the tourney.

No you mistake my intent. I prefer Fran be the person who hits the portal. Time for a change in direction of the program. What he is currently doing will not get Iowa out of the first week of the tourney.
If you were Fran would you leave the money that Iowa is paying him just because some of the fan base wants him gone. I THINK NOT!
It would probably be easier if you and the others so critical of Fran's program would stop following Iowa men's basketball and switch to Iowa State or Northern Iowa, but then again that probably won't happen now will it.

• Wow
Reactions: Hendy hawk
Is Iowa going to need to replace Dix? I have heard some rumblings of him possibly going to Creighton.
0e169a8f-74b9-4fdd-9dda-3d87b4b36e11_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: skydog0784
Yeah I know, supposedly no scholarships available, blah blah blah. Things change & we may have more than one player leave. It's that time of the year when coaches get fired & players declare for the portal. So who may be out there that could help Iowa?

Stanford just fired Jarrod Hasse, former Kansas player. They have a 7ft 250 lb center averaging 15 points and 9.5 rebounds a game. He's a junior this year.

Vanderbilt fired Stackhouse, but I don't see anyone on that roster that'd help. Let the speculation begin.

The portal opened today

Reactions: LukaDuka
Until I see an official statement from Patrick that he is not coming back, there's still a chance. If Tony comes back we should know as soon as Iowa finishes playing in the NIT, Brauns has already said he's coming back, and Riley is coming back for his junior year.
We still don't know if Bowen is returning but if he doesn't and Patrick bids ado, so actually Fran may have up to 4 scholarships to fill from either the high school ranks, junior college, or from the portal. Should be an interesting summer to see what Fran does with the empty scholarships.

Well we know Fran will bank some schollies and then give them out on a temporary basis to a walk on. I'm not expecting much out of Fran in Spring period based on his 13 prior years where most of the fireworks were guys leaving.

Then there is something in writing is that correct?
lol.. like who puts that stuff in writing. Its not like the dude is "putting his name in for the draft" or something. hey, maybe just wishful thinking on my part, as he's had his run here, but who knows, maybe he'll come back and torment us another season.....

Last edited:
lol.. like who puts that stuff in writing. Its not like the dude is "putting his name in for the draft" or something. hey, maybe just wishful thinking on my part, as he's had his tun here, but who knows, maybe he'll come back and torment us another season.....
That's what worries me the most about next years team. Patrick coming back just to torment us for another year. o_O
Fran, not so much, this years freshman class has for me, given him an extension for 1 more year.
In my lifetime I've seen the Bears win a super bowl, the Bulls win numerous NBA Championships, the White Sox and Cubs win the World Series, I've see Iowa get to the Final Four. Maybe that is all that I can hope for in my lifetime. But I'd love to see the 4 freshmen give life to a program that is now on life support. Maybe it will take a new captain of the ship to make that happen, but if that happens, I'd like it to be on Fran's terms and not how Bowlby hatched Dr. Tom.
Fran has done enough in his time at Iowa, although not perfect, to leave on his own terms whether we like it or not.

Reactions: NI hawk
That's what worries me the most about next years team. Patrick coming back just to torment us for another year. o_O
Fran, not so much, this years freshman class has for me, given him an extension for 1 more year.
In my lifetime I've seen the Bears win a super bowl, the Bulls win numerous NBA Championships, the White Sox and Cubs win the World Series, I've see Iowa get to the Final Four. Maybe that is all that I can hope for in my lifetime. But I'd love to see the 4 freshmen give life to a program that is now on life support. Maybe it will take a new captain of the ship to make that happen, but if that happens, I'd like it to be on Fran's terms and not how Bowlby hatched Dr. Tom.
Fran has done enough in his time at Iowa, although not perfect, to leave on his own terms whether we like it or not.
I've pretty much given Fran a pass up till this last year. He can obviously evaluate talent, put has really struggled to close the deal for the most part. Sure Luka, and the Murrays(who I firmly believe he would n't have landed if not for proximity and Dads connection), so I call that one just could fortune. His portal pickups are decent mid level players, not difference makers. His roster construction is baffeling. I just don't see anyway we can compete at more then just a decent level if he doesn't start landing more quality backcourt players, and more players who are athletic enough to defend at this level.

Reactions: HawkLogic
I've pretty much given Fran a pass up till this last year. He can obviously evaluate talent, put has really struggled to close the deal for the most part. Sure Luka, and the Murrays(who I firmly believe he would n't have landed if not for proximity and Dads connection), so I call that one just could fortune. His portal pickups are decent mid level players, not difference makers. His roster construction is baffeling. I just don't see anyway we can compete at more then just a decent level if he doesn't start landing more quality backcourt players, and more players who are athletic enough to defend at this level.
Make a list of the top 15 division 1 schools that play fast and lead the nation in scoring and then see where their defensive metrics are in relation to the top defensive teams.
I'll bet they have fan bases that bitch about how they don't play defense either, unless they're a blue blood school that has a roster full of 5 star players. Iowa will never come close to having those kind of athletes, at least not a full roster of them.

Malik is 6'9"

Jevon Porter out of Pepperdine should be a high priority guy. His brother, Michael Jr, is in the NBA.

6'11 -- made 1-2 triples per game. 13 pts, 7 reb, 1 block per game

Reactions: Bishop-71
Gee why? We are 10 steps behind Iowa State in recruiting. Why change anything.
This isn't true. ISU pulled in a bunch of average transfers who are playing really well. Curtis Jones, Rob Jones, Eli King, and Gilbert were not big time transfer gets, but they are all bought in to playing team defense and are profiting because of it.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
This isn't true. ISU pulled in a bunch of average transfers who are playing really well. Curtis Jones, Rob Jones, Eli King, and Gilbert were not big time transfer gets, but they are all bought in to playing team defense and are profiting because of it.
Ok then Iowa State has a better program than us. Whatever it is Iowa is barley mediocre.

Eli King, freshman last year, transferred out after one year. You’re probably thinking of Tre King, who had to sit a full year after enrolling at Georgetown and transferred to Iowa State.

And you’re right, none of these guys were considered top-notch transfers. He had recruited Keshon Gilbert to play for him at UNLV before taking the job at Iowa State. But TJ demands that they buy-in to his system or he never even offers them in the first place. Otzelberger has done a very good job of roster management, something that Steve Prohm struggled with.

I would add that Blake Hinson, a leftover from the Prohm roster, was sent packing because he didn’t fit the culture/buy-in. He went to Pitt and was their leading scorer at over 18 points this season. Probably a win-win for both parties as it turned out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT