ADVERTISEMENT

Time to look at the portal.

LukaDuka

HR MVP
Nov 19, 2023
Yeah I know, supposedly no scholarships available, blah blah blah. Things change & we may have more than one player leave. It's that time of the year when coaches get fired & players declare for the portal. So who may be out there that could help Iowa?

Stanford just fired Jarrod Hasse, former Kansas player. They have a 7ft 250 lb center averaging 15 points and 9.5 rebounds a game. He's a junior this year.

Vanderbilt fired Stackhouse, but I don't see anyone on that roster that'd help. Let the speculation begin.

Almost any help from the portal would be welcome. But I'm not expecting anything that would move the needle.

On this roster we have Sandy, Dix and Freeman. I'm assuming Perk moves on.

Dembele has shown flashes and he is young and inexperienced. I'm hopeful.

PMac and Krikke are done. Harding is a keeper.

So, for next year you've got 5 guys. Two incoming freshman might contribute, but you can't rely on that.

Need some help.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Fran got Krikke which was a horrible decision for a team bad on d and light on rebounding, do you really trust Fran in the portal

Krikke was red hot with the mid range for a while but just collapsed down the stretch. Competition had something to do with it but man he was bad when we needed him most.

Fran got Krikke which was a horrible decision for a team bad on d and light on rebounding, do you really trust Fran in the portal
When has Iowa ever been good rebounding the ball under Fran? I think it is funny how the team raved about Dembele getting every rebound in practice before the season started. Why was that, because he was probably the only one going after them.

NOPE! He’s shown the last two years he can’t pull
Much out of there. We needed on the ball defenders and a kid that plays ABOVE the rim and a good post presence and rebounder.. he pulled out Ben Krikke.

We should have several scholarships available, so that won’t be an issue.

I think we go after best available players, regardless of position. Or maybe a PG, if Perkins doesn’t come back and/or if Bowen hits the portal.

The trick may be coming up with the NIL money to be competitive. It’s been widely reported that we don’t have the NIL dollars available for basketball, but it’s been a while since we’ve had an update on that subject.

Reactions: Bishop-71
Yeah I know, supposedly no scholarships available, blah blah blah. Things change & we may have more than one player leave. It's that time of the year when coaches get fired & players declare for the portal. So who may be out there that could help Iowa?

Stanford just fired Jarrod Hasse, former Kansas player. They have a 7ft 250 lb center averaging 15 points and 9.5 rebounds a game. He's a junior this year.

Vanderbilt fired Stackhouse, but I don't see anyone on that roster that'd help. Let the speculation begin.
Gee why? We are 10 steps behind Iowa State in recruiting. Why change anything.

We know we have:
Bowen
Dix
Payton
Freeman
Harding
Ladji
Pryce
Tadjo
Koch
That's 9.
If Perkins returns that's 10.
So we have 3 or 4 scholly s open
That is enough to transform this team with right guys.
C'mon Fran ...find some talent!

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
We know we have:
Bowen
Dix
Payton
Freeman
Harding
Ladji
Pryce
Tadjo
Koch
That's 9.
If Perkins returns that's 10.
So we have 3 or 4 scholly s open
That is enough to transform this team with right guys.
C'mon Fran ...find some talent!
You're missing a scholarship player in Even Brauns and another, that redshirted this year, if Perkins, and god forbid Patrick returns for his Covid year 12 scholarships will be used.
Fran has in the past left 1 scholarship open so even if Iowa has 12 scholarships full and 1 unused it doesn't mean Fran will hit the portal and use it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the "NIL situation" has just become another excuse for poor recruiting......
Yup! First it was the it was the state of Iowa is just hard to recruit athletes too now it’s the NIL.. ummmm Iowa State is currently running the number 1 ranked team in the nation out of the building in the big 12 championship. & Names like Monte Morris, Georges Niang and Tyrese Halliburton get brought up..

They outbid some big teams for two of their new players this year.
Just sayin.

In true ISU fashion, their fans then downplay it's importance and say it's just an excuse for Iowa. Pay no attention to the billionaire behind the curtain!!

Reactions: DogBoyRy
Krikke had issues, but what would the Hawkeyes have done without him. Probably the best we could get with the nil situation.

He was fools gold. Agree that it’s not like we had the pick of the litter in transfer portal. Admittedly we would have been extremely thin at PF but I wonder if heavier dose of Dembele and Brauns might have benefitted us. More defense, rebounding but less offense. Not great options. Rebracca looking really strong in hindsight.

He was fools gold. Agree that it’s not like we had the pick of the litter in transfer portal. Admittedly we would have been extremely thin at PF but I wonder if heavier dose of Dembele and Brauns might have benefitted us. More defense, rebounding but less offense. Not great options. Rebracca looking really strong in hindsight.
I belive Iowa had a visit scheduled with Rink Mast prior to hearing anything about Krikke.

Before he had a chance to visit, Krikke jumped on board.

I'm curious if Fran had a choice there or if he knew Mast was going to Nebraska.

I'm not sure why anyone would choose Nebraska with other big10 options.

If Fran made the call to take Krikke over Mast that was a terrible decision.

This thread is pointless. No one is going to come play for Fran.

I think it has more to do with $ than with Fran. Portal guys are looking to get paid and that isn't happening in Iowa City. I suspect that we're going to lose Perk, who should go find a program that can send him off to adulthood with a payday in his last year of eligibility.

You're missing a scholarship player in Even Brauns and another, that redshirted this year, if Perkins, and god forbid Patrick returns for his Covid year 12 scholarships will be used.
Fran has in the past left 1 scholarship open so even if Iowa has 12 scholarships full and 1 unused it doesn't mean Fran will hit the portal and use it.
Tony, Braun and PMac are seniors on the roster.
PMac is not coming back.
Braun is purely optional.
Tony comes back...good.
If Riley comes back...we still have at least 2 open scholly.
Makes zero sense to not fill them.

Hoping to see Iowa add a legit rebounding, stretch 4 that will compliment Freeman(28 min). I think if there is another player to add then get a quick combo guard that can dribble, dish and hit 3's(sounds a bit like Perkins) but think it should be different. Harding(28 min) needs to start with Dix(30+ min) at SG, and Payton(35 min) at SF.

Tony, Braun and PMac are seniors on the roster.
PMac is not coming back.
Braun is purely optional.
Tony comes back...good.
If Riley comes back...we still have at least 2 open scholly.
Makes zero sense to not fill them.
Until I see an official statement from Patrick that he is not coming back, there's still a chance. If Tony comes back we should know as soon as Iowa finishes playing in the NIT, Brauns has already said he's coming back, and Riley is coming back for his junior year.
We still don't know if Bowen is returning but if he doesn't and Patrick bids ado, so actually Fran may have up to 4 scholarships to fill from either the high school ranks, junior college, or from the portal. Should be an interesting summer to see what Fran does with the empty scholarships.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I think it has more to do with $ than with Fran. Portal guys are looking to get paid and that isn't happening in Iowa City. I suspect that we're going to lose Perk, who should go find a program that can send him off to adulthood with a payday in his last year of eligibility.
Why should someone whos as inconsistent as TP get some kind of payday? If we're really buying players, then lets look to upgrade.....

Until I see an official statement from Patrick that he is not coming back, there's still a chance. If Tony comes back we should know as soon as Iowa finishes playing in the NIT, Brauns has already said he's coming back, and Riley is coming back for his junior year.
We still don't know if Bowen is returning but if he doesn't and Patrick bids ado, so actually Fran may have up to 4 scholarships to fill from either the high school ranks, junior college, or from the portal. Should be an interesting summer to see what Fran does with the empty scholarships.
He "officially" said pre season, and a couple of weeks ago thats he's done at Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT