ADVERTISEMENT

Time to look at the portal.

Eli King, freshman last year, transferred out after one year. You’re probably thinking of Tre King, who had to sit a full year after enrolling at Georgetown and transferred to Iowa State.

And you’re right, none of these guys were considered top-notch transfers. He had recruited Keshon Gilbert to play for him at UNLV before taking the job at Iowa State. But TJ demands that they buy-in to his system or he never even offers them in the first place. Otzelberger has done a very good job of roster management, something that Steve Prohm struggled with.

I would add that Blake Hinson, a leftover from the Prohm roster, was sent packing because he didn’t fit the culture/buy-in. He went to Pitt and was their leading scorer at over 18 points this season. Probably a win-win for both parties as it turned out.
Yup, that's who I was thinking of. All in all, TJ is doing a great job with what he has.

That was not the least bit pissy. Lighten up.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BirdistheWord
Will be interesting spring. If we don't have any NIL money, seems like Iowa will be likely donor to Portal.

Iowa was his first high major offer when he was in high school and he took an unofficial visit to Iowa. He’s from Massachusetts, so Coach Eldridge surely has a connection with him.

Reactions: skydog0784
Point guard's from the portal looking at Iowa & saying " all i have to do is beat out a short white guy for playing time" should be an attractive proposition.

Sorry BH jock sniffers, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: CarterHall
Point guard's from the portal looking at Iowa & saying " all i have to do is beat out a short white guy for playing time" should be an attractive proposition.

Hey, we hear ya, glad you got that off your chest!
This is what I think, Mulvey and Harding will start next year.
Between the two of us, someone will have the last say.

Reactions: LukaDuka

These "point guards" better actually be shooting guards or they aren't playing at Iowa.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I watch almost all of the UNI games (and consequently almost all MVC opponents 1-2 games a year); here's my input...

I'd be all over this guy (in addition to the Miami PG transfer referenced above)...

I don't see any of the UNI transfers meeting a need on our projected IA roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClarindaA's
This isn't true. ISU pulled in a bunch of average transfers who are playing really well. Curtis Jones, Rob Jones, Eli King, and Gilbert were not big time transfer gets, but they are all bought in to playing team defense and are profiting because of it.
I think most of them showed tremendous progress between their freshman and sophomore seasons. Otzelberger took notice and the Clones had the NIL money to make it happen. Even if some of it's just good luck, it's a factor we've sorely lacked in this year.

When has Iowa ever been good rebounding the ball under Fran? I think it is funny how the team raved about Dembele getting every rebound in practice before the season started. Why was that, because he was probably the only one going after them.
We need someone like Robert “Tractor” Traylor on the blocks.

I think it has more to do with $ than with Fran. Portal guys are looking to get paid and that isn't happening in Iowa City. I suspect that we're going to lose Perk, who should go find a program that can send him off to adulthood with a payday in his last year of eligibility.
Why would he stay in this shit show???!!!

In what world is a guy who's 6'10+ and does all of his work within 5 feet from the basket a 4? Maybe 10 years ago that could work, but Owen is a 5 any way you slice it in modern basketball.

4s in modern basketball are perimeter players--he'd have to run around on the outside and guard guys like Malik Hall, Quincy Guerrier, Mason Gillis who are great 3 point shooters and would eat Owen's lunch off the dribble.

He needs to develop a jump shot, and has a lot better handles and quickness than most 5’s…but agree that with no shot (at least mid range) he is a 5

I feel I am very objective re: Brock’s play this year. You have seemed biased against him from day one. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I feel I am very objective re: Brock’s play this year. You have seemed biased against him from day one. 🤷🏻‍♂️
not at all, I appreciate objectivity. But some on here think he's the 2nd coming of Ronnie Lester. I'm just balancing it out a little. I hope he improves actually. But I also believe he's more suited to a change of place back up player.

not at all, I appreciate objectivity. But some on here think he's the 2nd coming of Ronnie Lester. I'm just balancing it out a little. I hope he improves actually. But I also believe he's more suited to a change of place back up player.

Yeah, we are light on talent and he has to develop but his passing, creativity and moxie are unique. We definitely need some immediate help at guard.

Ok Fran...tourny is over...times awastin...lets go!

On3 has a page where they rank the top 200 in portal.
Tony Perkins was #36. They show him committed til Missouri.

This guard, Brickus, we are interested in is listed down the ratings.
Michigan has secured. 2 7fters already.
IU , Neb, and ILL have locked in guys.
We have needs. Fill them, please.

teams that aren't going all in the portal aren't going to win shit
He's only looking for fill ins, no starters. Fran already knows who his starters will be next year. If you're looking for Fran to lure an impact player to Iowa, I suspect many will be thoroughly disappointed.

Reactions: BlameIt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT