ADVERTISEMENT

Time to shrink the rotation...

mplshawkeye21

HR MVP
Apr 17, 2006
Should have been done 3-4 weeks ago. Uhl shouldn't see the light of day. Kriener and Pemsl should be the only bigs off the bench. Still think kriener can make plays just b/c he has a good bball iq. Baer needs more minutes. And Williams needs more of Ellingson's minutes. He's underrated defensively and as a penetrator. Wouldn't mind seeing j-bo move over to 2 a little more and have Williams handle the ball. (Just needs to watch his turnovers.). But that could keep j-bo fresher throughout the game. Really like the way the team is trending on defense too. Could be a sweet 16 team if we sneak in.

Reactions: FairfIowafan1984
I say we stick with what's won us the past three games.

Besides, we've had a lot of different players step up and help us win at a lot of different points this year. People want Uhl benched, but without him, we don't win @ Rutgers and have no chance at the tournament. Wagner, Ellingson, Williams, same deal.

Oh good. Another shorten the rotation thread. Wouldn't be a day on the basketball board without one.

Oh good. Another shorten the rotation thread. Wouldn't be a day on the basketball board without one.
Not all of us spend our lives on this board.

And saying "we're winning, don't change anything" is about as dumb of a reason not to change as any. We're winning DESPITE no actual contribution from Uhl. We'd be winning by more if somebody else was getting his minutes. You act like we're world beaters because we've won 3 straight. We can still make adjustments to get BETTER.

Kriener needs to get stronger with the ball and a bit more decisive. He has a wonderful looking hook shot I think he can get off anytime a d score with it anytime but seems to me to hesitate and then is out if rhythm. I want him to go up strong when it's there.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Uhl seems to be showing little to no improvement imo.

That said, we had a great win tonight....shame you can't enjoy it instead of jumping straight to negativity!

I mean you probably could say the same about Wagner. He did only attempt one shot tonight. But it was after he stole the ball and drove to the rim. We don't win if he doesn't make that play. I hesitate to call for benching players that make game winning plays. And in the Big Ten Tourney, we are really going to need a lot of bench minutes.

No doubt Uhl has often been in and out of the doghouse in his years at Iowa. But early this season McCaffery said something..."Uhl always looks better in the film room."

I think if you watch him away from the ball, you'll like him better.

He gets up and down the court. He keeps the offense moving, and he doesn't stand still. He defends his guy.

Whether he's a glue guy among youngsters, or coming off the bench, I don't care. But I don't mind him seeing get some minutes.

What I don't think we can afford is to have him and Wagner in for long at the same time. And that doesn't happen very often.

I thought uhl slowed hayes down that os a contribution that will not show up on the stat sheet imo

you are spot on..
.Dom has not turned into the tall penetrating forward (he actually has the ability) that we saw 3 years ago...but he does contribute in the minutes he plays. NO not scoring but in other aspects.

Fran may not have shrunk the rotation but he has minutes.
last night; Jok 35, JBo 32, Baer 27, Cook 24, Pemsl 20, Moss 18, Wagner 16..

under 10..Uhl 9, CW 8, Ellingson 6, RK 5.

Should have been done 3-4 weeks ago. Uhl shouldn't see the light of day. Kriener and Pemsl should be the only bigs off the bench. Still think kriener can make plays just b/c he has a good bball iq. Baer needs more minutes. And Williams needs more of Ellingson's minutes. He's underrated defensively and as a penetrator. Wouldn't mind seeing j-bo move over to 2 a little more and have Williams handle the ball. (Just needs to watch his turnovers.). But that could keep j-bo fresher throughout the game. Really like the way the team is trending on defense too. Could be a sweet 16 team if we sneak in.

Thanks, would somebody please forward this to Coach McC for his consideration. I'm sure he is anxiously awaiting the peanut gallery's insite on this matter.:rolleyes:

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
No doubt Uhl has often been in and out of the doghouse in his years at Iowa. But early this season McCaffery said something..."Uhl always looks better in the film room."

I think if you watch him away from the ball, you'll like him better.

He gets up and down the court. He keeps the offense moving, and he doesn't stand still. He defends his guy.

Whether he's a glue guy among youngsters, or coming off the bench, I don't care. But I don't mind him seeing get some minutes.

What I don't think we can afford is to have him and Wagner in for long at the same time. And that doesn't happen very often.
I see the exact opposite of this post on the offensive end. He either stands at the 3 point line and looks at the basket for a couple seconds or takes 2-3 dribbles to the middle of the lane and the defense collapses on him and then he doesn't know what to do. Even at 6'9 he can't shoot over many people since he has a slow and low release. Actually the worse combination last night was Uhl, Williams and Kreiner together, that was an offensive black hole.

The only thing I might try is inserting CW with JBo for a minute or two before spelling JBo. Let's CW settle in, maybe. Once CW is settled and has a bit of confidence, he gives Iowa something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT