ADVERTISEMENT

Times are ‘a Changing. Finally, pay for play is here.

This should help Iowa basketball, and maybe football, immensely.

Wow. That’s crazy.

No more excuses now for not landing better talent. Gotta pony up the dough to compete in the new Big Ten.

Iowa has a war chest. This should help us me thinks.
Except for all of those other schools that have a whole lot more money.

Also, Iowa tries to be good in both Football and Men's and Women's Basketball. That's three ways to divide the war chest of money up. Compare that to Indiana(and other schools) who will go all in on basketball because football is a lost cause for them. This will help against the mid-majors, which we shouldn't need help against anyway, but won't move the needle that much for us.

Also, Iowa tries to be good in both Football and Men's and Women's Basketball. That's three ways to divide the war chest of money up. Compare that to Indiana(and other schools) who will go all in on basketball because football is a lost cause for them. This will help against the mid-majors, which we shouldn't need help against anyway, but won't move the needle that much for us.

Aren't we near the top in athletic revenue/fundraising/tv money/etc?

Someone explain this to me.

NIL, which was adopted with the best of intentions to save exploited and enslaved college athletes, has quickly morphed into the professional sports model. Major college sports basically no longer exist in the traditional sense for football, basketball and to a smaller extent baseball. The power college conferences are minor professional leagues now for those sports. Yippee.

David Byrne Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Aren't we near the top in athletic revenue/fundraising/tv money/etc?
That's not the point. My point is that our school is always going to invest more in football leaving a smaller slice of the pie than the basketball programs. Using the numbers from the link provided, let's say we have $477MM and Indiana has $351MM. The below numbers are hypotheticals but used to illustrate the differences.

We're going to divide that $477MM something like this
$300MM football
$100MM men's basketball
$27MM women's basketball
$50MM all the other sports combined

Indiana is going to divide their $351MM something like this
$125MM football because they don't care that much.
$150MM men's basketball
$26MM women's basketball

We'd be $50MM behind Indiana in men's basketball money for players. That is a losing proposition as long as we are a school that cares about many sports compared to the schools that only care about one or the other. Only Michigan and OSU in the classic Big Ten(excluding the newbies) are going to be able to raise enough money to spend big time on both football and basketball once their alumni bases know that this is unlocked.

This should help Iowa basketball, and maybe football, immensely.

Wow. That’s crazy.

No more excuses now for not landing better talent. Gotta pony up the dough to compete in the new Big Ten.

Iowa has a war chest. This should help us me thinks.

Sorry, but landing better talent will still be an issue.

Revenue sharing (up to $22M/year/school) could start as early as the fall of 2025.

Here's the problem: Fran can offer this revenue sharing (which all the of the big schools will be doing) but he still won't be able to offer the big NIL deal. So, unfortunately, the playing field will still not be even.

NIL and how much players can earn from it, by the way, won't be going away. The courts have decided that issue already.

Reactions: Hawkdiver
NIL, which was adopted with the best of intentions to save exploited and enslaved college athletes, has quickly morphed into the professional sports model. Major college sports basically no longer exist in the traditional sense for football, basketball and to a smaller extent baseball. The power college conferences are minor professional leagues now for those sports. Yippee.

Most people are now saying that amateurism is officially dead.

That's not the point. My point is that our school is always going to invest more in football leaving a smaller slice of the pie than the basketball programs. Using the numbers from the link provided, let's say we have $477MM and Indiana has $351MM. The below numbers are hypotheticals but used to illustrate the differences.

$300MM football
$100MM men's basketball
$27MM women's basketball

$150MM men's basketball
$26MM women's basketball

We'd be $50MM behind Indiana in men's basketball money for players. That is a losing proposition as long as we are a school that cares about many sports compared to the schools that only care about one or the other. Only Michigan and OSU in the classic Big Ten(excluding the newbies) are going to be able to raise enough money to spend big time on both football and basketball once their alumni bases know that this is unlocked.

Will salary caps be legal? I wonder.

$300MM football
$100MM men's basketball
$27MM women's basketball

$150MM men's basketball
$26MM women's basketball

$300MM football
$100MM men's basketball
$27MM women's basketball

$150MM men's basketball
$26MM women's basketball

But we could invest $100 million more than them in football and still have more $ than them in basketball.

However, with the proposed $20 million cap you are absolutely right, they’ll outspend us in basketball. Luckily, most of our football recruits are 3 stars and don’t command top $. And you only need one 5 star basketball recruit to make an impact in basketball.

The revenue that will be distributed every year by Power 4 schools starting as early as the fall of 2025: Up to 22% of the average Power 4 teams' revenues, which roughly, right now, is $20M to $21M.

Ohio Sate, Iowa, Iowa State, etc will all be distributing the same amount per year. So, the playing field is level among Power 4 when it comes to revenue sharing.

However, I don't think Scott is correct when he says that Iowa female athletes would get 52% of the roughly $20M/year.

Check this out & watch:

I posted this information before in the football forum but it looks like, because of Title IX, that a lot of male & female athletes would get a cut of the $21m to $22M PER YEAR but the vast majority of the revenue sharing would be directed towards football and men's basketball.

When it comes to female sports, here are some excerpts from the linked article:

But how does Title IX apply in a revenue-sharing model?

That question remains unclear and there is ongoing litigation in Oregon that could, eventually, provide the answer.

In an interview in January, Baker said he believed that Title IX terminology is more “about equal participation” and not “so much about equal amounts.” That would open the door for a school to share more total revenue with men athletes as long as the school offers revenue to an equal number of women athletes.

In his appearance in Washington D.C., Kessler noted that he “hopes” Title IX is applied in any future athlete compensation model.

The revenue that will be distributed every year by Power 4 schools starting as early as the fall of 2025: Up to 22% of the average Power 4 teams' revenues, which roughly, right now, is $20M to $21M.

Ohio Sate, Iowa, Iowa State, etc will all be distributing the same amount per year. So, the playing field is level among Power 4 when it comes to revenue sharing.

I think you're incorrect here.

Most of the Big 10 and SEC will likely be distributing the 20 million.

I highly doubt Big 12 and ACC schools can afford it. Most won't be offering the full 20 million.

We all knew this would happen. Even those of us who believed the players should be paid, and that it was asinine the amount of money these universities were raking in….

I still think it’s asinine, but as I’ve said many times all the people to blame are currently in this thread and all the other threads and comment boards and various outlets with their whining, crying and constantly complaining about their team and their sport….

WE ARE THE PROBLEM! Stop watching tonight, EVERYONE and then see what happens.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
I think you're incorrect here.

Most of the Big 10 and SEC will likely be distributing the 20 million.

I highly doubt Big 12 and ACC schools can afford it. Most won't be offering the full 20 million.

check out the video; Dochterman made it sound like ISU would be paying out the same as Ohio State

We all knew this would happen. Even those of us who believed the players should be paid, and that it was asinine the amount of money these universities were raking in….

I still think it’s asinine, but as I’ve said many times all the people to blame are currently in this thread and all the other threads and comment boards and various outlets with their whining, crying and constantly complaining about their team and their sport….

I always believed..... and I mean since like the SMU death penalty days of the 80's, when I say "always".....

but I've always believed if a 16 year old can go work at a place and flip burgers, and get paid, an 18 or 20 yr old college student could go to work and play football and get paid. now then, flipping burgers probably pays less than playing pro football. understandable.

but college is not pros. so what I think should eventually happen is "farm teams" for the pros. not affiliated with schools. but then, no schools, no stadiums, no reason to go to iowa city or podunk texas. so it's a catch 22.

when I first heard of paying NIL money, I thought it would be good if it were between a sponsor like nike, and the player. leaving the school out of it. but instead the schools use it for recruiting, which is seemingly wrong, going back to the smu days. so we are in a situation which is eventually going to blow up somehow. dunno how or when.

Reactions: cmhawks99
nope. players aren't giving up their NIL deals; and now they get revenue sharing on top of it.
But, I'm guessing collectives like The Swarm will have smaller war chests with this new revenue sharing move. I'm glad they are moving forward with revenue sharing. I thought it was silly that fans were supposed to pay additional money to fund programs that were already making millions off the fans. It is/was ridiculous.

But, I'm guessing collectives like The Swarm will have smaller war chests with this new revenue sharing move. I'm glad they are moving forward with revenue sharing. I thought it was silly that fans were supposed to pay additional money to fund programs that were already making millions off the fans. It is/was ridiculous.

Just a reminder, there are 2 arms of SWARM:

* The collective, which fans donate to; this money is used to pay athletes for volunteering. Will this go away? We'll see....

* SWARM Inc, where the big wig donors donate; this funding is used to acquire the Cade McNamara's of the world. This was the arm that got screwed over by Proctor, too.

I always believed..... but college is not pros. so what I think should eventually happen is "farm teams" for the pros. not affiliated with schools. but then, no schools, no stadiums, no reason to go to iowa city or podunk texas. so it's a catch 22.

when I first heard of paying NIL money, I thought it would be good if it were between a sponsor like nike, and the player. leaving the school out of it. but instead the schools use it for recruiting, which is seemingly wrong, going back to the smu days. so we are in a situation which is eventually going to blow up somehow. dunno how or when.
I'm with you. These athletes should get a cut of the enormous $$$ that the networks, schools, NCAA is raking in b/c they put on the product. This thing has morphed into something entirely different. I don't believe there is one 1c of that money going to athletes from the fans paying to see them. Instead they've found another avenue to garner more funds from donors. "If the devil danced in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine"

Well, I’ve made my last contribution to Iowa athletics. All to academics now. Was a long time Silver Hawk contributor.

Reactions: iowaathletes

lol. Go ahead, stop watching. It won’t make a difference, too many people love college sports, myself included.

I’ll never understand why people who otherwise preach capitalism are mad about kids getting paid for a skill. It’s long overdue. Too many coaches and administrators have profited off of these kids for too long. Let the free market reign.

lol. Go ahead, stop watching. It won’t make a difference, too many people love college sports, myself included.

I’ll never understand why people who otherwise preach capitalism are mad about kids getting paid for a skill. It’s long overdue. Too many coaches and administrators have profited off of these kids for too long. Let the free market reign.

That’s not what they are saying and if that’s what you think there would be no point in continuing a discussion.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT