ADVERTISEMENT

Title 42 Expiration Day Thread

Personally I think the US should just pause on immigration with an exception for unaccompanied minors. The rest of the horde should apply for asylum online and patiently wait their turn for processing in the virtual queue and stay in their country of origin until approved. This summer camp/ festival of pushing past the border like an invading army ist kaput.

Maybe immigration could establish offices in the countries where most are coming from and do their processing there instead of bringing them stateside first? It would certainly be easier to vet their claims in situ and a helluva lot cheaper than room and board for everyone in the US.

From CBS News, March, 2022:

The government has estimated that we are short about 4 million homes in this country, and that number is likely growing, especially since the pandemic.

I honestly don't know where these people are going to be housed.

From CBS News, March, 2022:

The government has estimated that we are short about 4 million homes in this country, and that number is likely growing, especially since the pandemic.

I honestly don't know where these people are going to be housed.

Either government assisted or in homeless encampments.

A 17-year-old migrant child from Honduras who arrived in the U.S. without a parent or guardian has died in government custody in Florida, officials said Friday, in what is believed to be the first such death in years.

Enrique Reina, the Honduran secretary of foreign affairs, identified the child as Ángel Eduardo Maradiaga Espinoza and called for an "exhaustive investigation" into his death. Reina said the child was being held at a shelter used to house unaccompanied children in Safety Harbor, Florida, a small city west of Tampa.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) acknowledged the death in a statement but provided few details about the circumstances.

"[The department] is deeply saddened by this tragic loss and our heart goes out to the family, with whom we are in touch," the agency said.

The Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR), which is a division of HHS, is responsible for housing and caring for migrant children who arrive at the U.S.-Mexico border without legal guardians. Border officials are bound by federal law to transfer unaccompanied minors to ORR within 72 hours. The refugee office houses unaccompanied children in shelters and other facilities until they turn 18 or are claimed by a sponsor in the U.S.

The HHS statement noted that the ORR's Division of Health for Unaccompanied Children is "reviewing all clinical details of this case, including all inpatient health care records" and said a medical examiner is conducting an investigation into the child's death. The agency noted that children in ORR custody "have access to health care, legal services, translation services, and mental and behavioral health counselors and are able to connect with family through a phone call in a private area at a minimum of twice a week."

As of Wednesday, 8,681 unaccompanied children were in the care of HHS, government figures show, and unaccompanied children spend an average of 29 days in ORR custody. In the last fiscal year, most of the minors referred to ORR — roughly 72% — were above the age of 14, and about 64% were boys. Unaccompanied children are typically matched with a sponsor, usually a relative, and released.

About 29% of children in ORR custody in fiscal year 2022 hailed from Honduras, like Espinoza. Nearly half came from Guatemala, and about 13% came from El Salvador.

A 17-year-old migrant child from Honduras who arrived in the U.S. without a parent or guardian has died in government custody in Florida, officials said Friday, in what is believed to be the first such death in years.

Enrique Reina, the Honduran secretary of foreign affairs, identified the child as Ángel Eduardo Maradiaga Espinoza and called for an "exhaustive investigation" into his death. Reina said the child was being held at a shelter used to house unaccompanied children in Safety Harbor, Florida, a small city west of Tampa.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) acknowledged the death in a statement but provided few details about the circumstances.

"[The department] is deeply saddened by this tragic loss and our heart goes out to the family, with whom we are in touch," the agency said.

The Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR), which is a division of HHS, is responsible for housing and caring for migrant children who arrive at the U.S.-Mexico border without legal guardians. Border officials are bound by federal law to transfer unaccompanied minors to ORR within 72 hours. The refugee office houses unaccompanied children in shelters and other facilities until they turn 18 or are claimed by a sponsor in the U.S.

The HHS statement noted that the ORR's Division of Health for Unaccompanied Children is "reviewing all clinical details of this case, including all inpatient health care records" and said a medical examiner is conducting an investigation into the child's death. The agency noted that children in ORR custody "have access to health care, legal services, translation services, and mental and behavioral health counselors and are able to connect with family through a phone call in a private area at a minimum of twice a week."

As of Wednesday, 8,681 unaccompanied children were in the care of HHS, government figures show, and unaccompanied children spend an average of 29 days in ORR custody. In the last fiscal year, most of the minors referred to ORR — roughly 72% — were above the age of 14, and about 64% were boys. Unaccompanied children are typically matched with a sponsor, usually a relative, and released.

About 29% of children in ORR custody in fiscal year 2022 hailed from Honduras, like Espinoza. Nearly half came from Guatemala, and about 13% came from El Salvador.

It's amazing to me that migrant children who arrive at the U.S.-Mexico border without legal guardians are allowed to stay here.

Just another loop hole that's being exploited. Why can't this (and other loopholes) be fixed by either:

* A US President Executive Order

* Congress passing a piece meal law addressing this issue (and other loopholes)

These children should be sent back to their country of origin. The US Government should not be their damn baby sitter.

Reactions: Rifler
Personally I think the US should just pause on immigration with an exception for unaccompanied minors. The rest of the horde should apply for asylum online and patiently wait their turn for processing in the virtual queue and stay in their country of origin until approved. This summer camp/ festival of pushing past the border like an invading army ist kaput.

Maybe immigration could establish offices in the countries where most are coming from and do their processing there instead of bringing them stateside first? It would certainly be easier to vet their claims in situ and a helluva lot cheaper than room and board for everyone in the US.
They had a similar kind of program when Obama was president. One would apply from their home country and wait.

Someone did away with that.

Reactions: Joes Place

Damn Trump. Is what most will say here.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
Start enforcing the law. Start deporting anyone and everyone in this country illegally. Start workplace enforcement raids.

The laws are sufficient. We just have an administration electing not to enforce them.
I live close to a meat packing factory. Illegal immigrants aren't suddenly showing up since Biden took over. 5 grand will get you a passport and ss card. Unless the price has gone up since Trump was in office. And these illegals are working jobs nobody here wants and are getting screwed over by the owners of the plant. Kickbacks to keep jobs, low wages, and now Kim has made it possible for children to work in these factories. Cheap child labor, the iowa way.

Last edited:
So when Venezuela had their dictator who was anti-US like 10 years ago, we put all kinds of sanctions, etc on them and really did a number on their economy....and just like....migrants....then throw in the Narco Wars caused by Americans love of Cocaine....and then our messing around with Central America for over 100 years....and our chickens are coming home to roost.

Face it.
Not to mention Reagan subsidizing corn until the Mexican corn economy bankrupted and created a lot of unemployed people who will try everything to take care of their families.

• Wow
Reactions: Joes Place
I would love to move manufacturing from China (who hates us) to Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, etc. As you indicated, we just gotta make sure we can trust their governments.

There was a recent report that China was exporting ingredients that are used in the production of fentanyl to the drug cartels in Mexico. That fentanyl, of course, then enters the United States, killing Americans.

China is our enemy. Plain and simple.
And stealing our outsourced technology also. Patents nean nothing to China. Not as bad as deadly drugs though, just bad for the economy.

Reactions: Franisdaman
President Biden reportedly exploded several times over what he believed were excuses from his team for inaction at the southern border, according to a Washington Post story on Wednesday.

As the pandemic-era immigration restriction policy Title 42 is set to expire, the outlet reported that Biden got upset with his aides over what to do about the border crisis.

"When Biden would have explosions, and he did have a bunch of them, he’d say: ‘D--- it, you haven’t told me anything different from what you told me last week,’" a former official, who remained anonymous, told the Washington Post.

"Then 10 minutes later, he’d say: ‘Look, I’m sorry, I know everybody is trying,’" the official continued, according to the Post.

Leon Panetta, former Obama Defense Secretary a member of the Department of Homeland Security's advisory council, told the outlet that he was not sure the administration was ready for the end of Title 42.

"I’m not sure we’re ready for the consequences," he said. "When you remove Title 42, there’s going to be new challenges that are going to have to be faced head-on."

Title 42, a public health order used to expel hundreds of thousands of migrants quickly due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it set to expire on Thursday.

The president told reporters on Tuesday that the border was going to be "chaotic for a while" after the health order's expiration.

"At this stage of the game, I think the administration has had enough notice that they have got to be ready to handle whatever happens. They definitely are going to be tested in these next few weeks," Panetta added.

"It’s not going to be easy," he continued, according to the Post. "I suspect that it’s one of those explosive issues that no matter what you do, you’re going to get blamed."

The Washington Post also highlighted division among the Democratic Party about how to address the border crisis.
The former official told the outlet that after repealing the Trump-era "Remain in Mexico" policy, they questioned whether they had been to quick to halt the policy.

"It was the worst of all possible worlds," the official told the Post. "We’d said we were doing away with it, and now we had to rethink putting it back."
I am shocked Kamala doesn't have better control of this

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
Well in my 20 plus years of living in Arizona it hasn't been this bad. Even Democrats down here are going WTF. Nice job Biden

Clearly the Biden administration is doing all they can:

The White House on Friday said that a ruling that blocked the administration’s ability to release migrants without court dates into the interior is an act of "sabotage" just as other administration agencies decried it as "harmful."

"So let me just say on the ruling that you just laid out to me. So, look, the way we see that it's sabotage, it's pure and simple," White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said at the White House press briefing. "That's how that reads to us."

And stealing our outsourced technology also. Patents nean nothing to China. Not as bad as deadly drugs though, just bad for the economy.

China's literally killing Americans in several ways.

* They are shipping the ingredients that are used to make fentanyl to Mexico. That fentanyl then ends up in the United States

* Remember when people in the United States were dying when on blood thinner? It turned out that an ingredient of the blood thinner that was manufactured in China was contaminated. China denied it, of course.

* I remember a case where a child swallowed a heart shaped piece of metal that fell off a necklace. He died of lead poisoning.

All of the crap that comes from China can't be tested/checked to see if it's in compliance; that's why I try not to buy anything made in China.

I live close to a meat packing factory. Illegal immigrants aren't suddenly showing up since Biden took over. 5 grand will get you a passport and ss card. Unless the price has gone up since Trump was in office. And these illegals are working jobs nobody here wants and are getting screwed over by the owners of the plant. Kickbacks to keep jobs, low wages, and now Kim has made it possible for children to work in these factories. Cheap child labor, the iowa way.

No one is forcing them to work.

On top of that they are in some cases victimizing Americans by stealing social security numbers.

• Haha
Reactions: Bishop1971

On top of that they are in some cases victimizing Americans by stealing social security numbers.
They aren't stealing identities. They are the victims in their countries, getting here, getting paperwork, and then by employers.

They aren't stealing identities. They are the victims in their countries, getting here, getting paperwork, and then by employers. And also by Americans and the government.

They aren't stealing identities. They are the victims in their countries, getting here, getting paperwork, and then by employers. And also by Americans and the government. They come desperate for any work. This is what they can get. Nothing else.

They aren't stealing identities. They are the victims in their countries, getting here, getting paperwork, and then by employers. And also by Americans and the government. They come desperate for any work. This is what they can get. Nothing else.m5

Crossings down by half since tougher Biden rules now in effect after end of Title 42.

Republicans once again terrififying their fragile, frightened base for nothing but cheap political points.
Why am I not seeing a lot more likes from the usual suspects who have been all worked up for the last 2 years 4 months over the border? I figured they would be ecstatic over this

Unless they only act super concerned about this when a dem is in office so they can weaponize the issue to own the libs...They wouldn't do that, right?

Why am I not seeing a lot more likes from the usual suspects who have been all worked up for the last 2 years 4 months over the border? I figured they would be ecstatic over this

Unless they only act super concerned about this when a dem is in office so they can weaponize the issue to own the libs...They wouldn't do that, right?
Probably because the numbers are still at record levels....I guess "controlling the border" is getting it under 10k a day.

You’re the one who idiotically brought up Trumps 900k number. Which has been dwarfed by Biden’s numbers…
Which was a massive increase to previous years...but but Biden. Also, I need for you guys to decide if border encounters are good or bad and then we can go from there. It's idiotic to act like the border hasn't been an issue for your entire life.

Which was a massive increase to previous years...but but Biden. Also, I need for you guys to decide if border encounters are good or bad and then we can go from there. It's idiotic to act like the border hasn't been an issue for your entire life.
Biden's numbers were damned near triple that last year and headed that way this year. It is what it is....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT