ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Perkins enters the Transfer Portal

Iowa nice. What other school in the country holds onto coaches as long as us? None.
Well Fry, Kirk, and to a lesser extent Dr. Tom all overachieved with the resource limitations of Iowa. Recruiting foot print, big donors, etc etc. But Alford and Fran are both the definition of mediocrity. And now it appears Fran is trending to sub mediocrity.

Well Fry, Kirk, and to a lesser extent Dr. Tom all overachieved with the resource limitations of Iowa. Recruiting foot print, big donors, etc etc. But Alford and Fran are both the definition of mediocrity. And now it appears Fran is trending to sub mediocrity.
Oh for sure. Fry and Kirk deserved the long leash, they were/are far more successful than Fran/Alford/Lick. I loved dr Tom, too. Grew up watching Iowa bball in the 90’s.

Oh for sure. Fry and Kirk deserved the long leash, they were/are far more successful than Fran/Alford/Lick. I loved dr Tom, too. Grew up watching Iowa bball in the 90’s.
Honestly when things went downhill for Alford it’s awfully similar to Fran. Not able to recruit any players without an Iowa connection either the state or alumni. Not able to recruit talented guards. Garza might be the last great one he gets without an in. Freeman is decent but still the jury is out on him. Need post moves etc.
The last few years the starting PGs for Alford were terrible . Really were small 2 guards without consistent shoots. Trying to play PG. sound familiar.

Last edited:
Honestly when things went downhill for Alford it’s awfully similar to Fran. Not able to recruit any players without an Iowa connection either the state or alumni. Not able to recruit talented guards. Garza might be the last great one he gets without an in. Freeman is decent but still the jury is out on him. Need post moves etc.
The few years the starting PGs for Alford were terrible . Really were small 2 guards without consistent shoots. Trying to play PG. sound familiar.
It does. I’ll give Alford credit (it pains me), but he had Pierre who is far better than any guard Fran has brought in. Horner too, I’d take him. Our pal, Alford also won 2 BTT tourney titles. I was ready for a change when we flamed out in round 2 against Oregon, but our fearless leader slipped a surprise massive extension for a guy no one wants.

If Moss can end up at Kansas, then I have no doubt Tony will land somewhere....having said that, I wonder if some of these schools who reached out are just basing it on the fact that we was a BT Second Teamer? (half joking) He was definitely deserving, but his overall body of work during the year was very up and down. Who know though, maybe if he gels with a more athletic group of players he may really shine...it will be interesting to see how it plays out for sure.

True, though Moss was unique as he had a smooth stroke but sleepwalked much of the time. KU had so much talent that he could camp out on the 3 point line, for the most part. I can’t recall, was he a starter at KU?

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Everytime I read these NIL prices, I'm in even more disbelief that this is actually happening.

Many of these players will be issuing car insurance in a few years.
As a primary source of income.......but with a few hundred K in savings to get him started in life. :)

It does. I’ll give Alford credit (it pains me), but he had Pierre who is far better than any guard Fran has brought in. Horner too, I’d take him. Our pal, Alford also won 2 BTT tourney titles. I was ready for a change when we flamed out in round 2 against Oregon, but our fearless leader slipped a surprise massive extension for a guy no one wants.
Garza and the Murray’s should get a percentage of that deal. Not his agent. Speaking of the Oregon and watching someone quit. Felt Fran did some time in the first half. And just left the team to its own devices. Kinda similar to what Perkins did the other night.

Last edited:

To be fair, this was a rebuilding year. He still had them in the mix at the end of season. But…we just never seem to have the horses. Garza, Keegan and Kris were a luxury but we still did not put enough around them.

I have a kid at TAMU, not exactly a basketball school, but they were commin in hot at end of year (missed a ton of FT’s should have Beat #1 Houston) but just ooze athleticism. I mean give me ONE of their starters and he could get to the bucket at will.

To be fair, this was a rebuilding year. He still had them in the mix at the end of season. But…we just never seem to have the horses. Garza, Keegan and Kris were a luxury but we still did not put enough around them.

I have a kid at TAMU, not exactly a basketball school, but they were commin in hot at end of year (missed a ton of FT’s should have Beat #1 Houston) but just ooze athleticism. I mean give me ONE of their starters and he could get to the bucket at will.
True, but if it’s a rebuilding year. It means it looks as if improvements are coming. Aka you’re building towards something. When Kinsbury, Settles as freshmen, and Woolridge transferring in. U could tell that next years team was going to be significantly improved.

I have a kid at TAMU, not exactly a basketball school, but they were commin in hot at end of year (missed a ton of FT’s should have Beat #1 Houston) but just ooze athleticism. I mean give me ONE of their starters and he could get to the bucket

Agreed. I’m ok with this year, didn’t expect much but it was still the same movie. We don’t have athletes. Drake arguably has better guards than us. It’s the same theme every year. It also makes it miserable to watch the tournament bc all the mid majors have better guard play.

The few years the starting PGs for Alford were terrible . Really were small 2 guards without consistent shoots. Trying to play PG. sound familiar.
With the portal you now have about two years where you have a wide open roster at the start of your tenure to make a splash.

Used to get 4 or 5 years with a so called full cycle.

The goal is to become a place where recruits want to go even without immediate pt because your winning a lot.

Fran never really made that splash but he kind of won the lottery with Garza and the Murrays going through amazing transformations.

He had a second shot at making a splash and blew it again.

With no NIL and the fan base over him he's basically dead in the water now. There's no portal help coming.

It's really pointless to keep this going.

Has the same feel as the end of the Lick era. Transfers were less common then, but multiple Years in a row Lick would lose one of his top 3 players.

I know that there is a lot more player movement now, but Tony seemed like a HAWKEYE yet Fran can't keep him.

Time to turn the page BETH!
He played 4 years here. This isn’t the same as past players leaving.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
With the portal you now have about two years where you have a wide open roster at the start of your tenure to make a splash.

That used to be 4 or 5 years with a so called full cycle.

The goal is to become a place where recruits want to go even without immediate pt because your winning a lot.

Fran never really made that splash but he kind of won the lottery with Garza and the Murrays going through amazing transformations.

He had a second shot at making a splash and blew it again.

With no NIL and the fan base over him he's basically dead in the water now. There's no portal help coming.

It's really pointless to keep this going.
It always astounded me to look at Drake’s roster year in and out under Devries. Somehow he was always able to get exactly what he needed. Losses the guard to Kansas. Losses the Center to Vandy. Each time he was able to add a Big man or guard in the portal that Iowa could have used easily.

It always astounded me to look at Drake’s roster year in and out under Devries. Somehow he was always able to get exactly what he need. Losses the guard to Kansas. Losses the Center to Vandy. Each time he was able to add a Big man or guard in the portal that Iowa could have used easily.
Yet our fans tell us we need a bag man like isu to get these types of players. I’d take Drake’s center over Brauns or Krikke.

True, but if it’s a rebuilding year. It means it looks as if improvements are coming. Aka you’re building towards something. When Kinsbury, Settles as freshmen, and Woolridge transferring in. U could tell that next years team was going to be significantly improved.

I never said they were building the ENTIRE house 😉

We were working on a barndominium

Reactions: tumorboy
After 4 years of playing for Fran, this will be Tony's reaction to the new coach saying its time to work on defensive drills...

uh-whats-that-butters-stotch.gif

Keep hearing that Mens Basketball does not get enough Swarm money/NIL opportunities. The portal has now become a necessary evil to keep a program at a top level. Fran and the AD need to be on the same page and meet with donors and Swarm leaders and make a huge Public Relations effort to get $$$$. If the money comes in then the transfers/NIL will be there. Some big names have already opted out of coaching because they do not agree with or like the NIL environment and hate the NCAA and what they stand for. Jay Wright(Villavova) and Nick Saban come to mind - both championship coaches retired rather than deal with it. Granted they are financially not concerned, but Fran needs to get on board or the AD has the responsibility to have the "Talk". If more resources need hired or whatever is needed to deal with it - they should be all in. But will they? Only time will tell.

We should see if Jimmy Chitwood is available , good athlete and great shooter !
Holy shit.

This level of delusion in the fan base is why mediocrity is not only celebrated but encouraged to continue.

Normally, I would assume a post like this is sarcasm, but considering the source I think it’s as serious as @Grumpy Old Hawk stating Bob Cousy would be a bad ass in 2024 if the officials didn’t favor black players.

What dumbasses. Good lord.

Best of luck to Tony and thanks for some great memories. With that said, I will loose some respect for him if he goes to Nebraska or Indiana.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Hoiberg has the Nebraska program in better shape than Iowa. He knows how to utilize the portal and build a roster? I’d take Hoiberg over Fran, he’s proven to win in March.
63-94. 30-68. Overall and Con. Record. Taken him 5 years to even have a winning season. That is hard to do as they play at least 10 shit teams in their non-con. schedule every year. His team got blew out in the first round by a nine seed. That game was in March. You can convince me he has the program in better shape if he can duplicate the season he had this year.

It's like when Hawks miss on a recruit" we didn't want him anyway" syndrome.

The analyst on BTN had Tony as one of his top 5 players in the league at the end of Feb.

He messed up his wrist late in the wisky win and tailed off.
He was the only hawk on an all- conference team and was clearly our best overall player over the course of the whole season.

Surefire NBA guys are not in the portal. Tony will be highly coveted in portal market.

I am frustrated that Iowa cannot even compete to keep our own players.

What are our chances of landing good transfers with minimal NIL?

Right now I am as discouraged as I have been looking to next season as when lick was in charge.
This is in no way comparable to Lick. That was a dumpster fire program. We’ve got a strong freshman class, two probable All Big upper classmen and a good recruiting class coming in. I think we pick up 2 guys in the portal for depth, but there is a solid nucleus here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT