ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Perkins enters the Transfer Portal

Agree, a rebuilding year isn't just another name for missing the tournament.

You have to actually build something for the future.

Not much was built this year.
You just going to ignore Dix, Freeman (BTPOY) and Harding, who probably had the best freshman year at guard that we’ve seen since Horner?

I really don't like being negative Nancy. It simply is the truth. You don't suddenly build a great program at his age.

Correct. He’s not the same coach he was either 10-15 years ago. Sure they still didn’t play defense then and were horrible fundamentally, but at least Fran looked/acted like he cared. The ol hands in pockets look on the sideline all the time now, drives me ****ing crazy

Hoiberg knows the game, he was the pioneer for bringing in cast offs to ISU. Great hire for Nebraska. We have the anti-portal guy in Fran who loves a tall, athletically challenged team.
Hoiberg has an atrocious record, made only one tournament and has
zero tournament wins in 5 years. I’m not getting the love.

Last edited:
Hoiberg has an atrocious record, made only one tournament and has w
zero tournament wins in 5 years. I’m not getting the love.
I’m not saying he’s the goat by any stretch. But in today’s landscape I’d take him over Fran. Nebraska basketball is a joke and he got them to the tourney this year. Also, his March success is something Fran will never achieve.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I’m not saying he’s the goat by any stretch. But in today’s landscape I’d take him over Fran. Nebraska basketball is a joke and he got them to the tourney this year. Also, his March success is something Fran will never achieve.
What Fran inherited from Lick was much worse than what Hoiberg inherited. And Hoiberg won 2 conference games in 2 years? In his 5th year he finally hit 500 or maybe had a winning record and then gave up 100 to basketball powerhouse Texas A & M. I won’t argue about Hoiberg embracing the portal more but he has basically sucked for 5 years.

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
I think Gesell and Bohannon both had better freshman years.
They certainly played more minutes, but statistically Harding was better than Gessell in 3 point shooting and assists. Bohannon shot the 3 a little better, but Harding had more asisists per minute and a better A/T ratio. I think Harding is a better defender than Bohannon, not as good as Gessell. It’s subjective, I admit.

Bohannon

Gessell

Harding

What Fran inherited from Lick was much worse than what Hoiberg inherited. And Hoiberg won 2 conference games in 2 years? In his 5th year he finally hit 500 or maybe had a winning record and then gave up 100 to basketball powerhouse Texas A & M. I won’t argue about Hoiberg embracing the portal more but he has basically sucked for 5 years.
No question his conference record has stunk up until this year. Again, I’m not saying he’s the best coach of all time, but I think he’s a good coach in today’s landscape who embraces the portal. Do have to give the guy credit for making the tourney at Nebraska, it’s not an easy task.

It's like when Hawks miss on a recruit" we didn't want him anyway" syndrome.

The analyst on BTN had Tony as one of his top 5 players in the league at the end of Feb.

He messed up his wrist late in the wisky win and tailed off.
He was the only hawk on an all- conference team and was clearly our best overall player over the course of the whole season.

Surefire NBA guys are not in the portal. Tony will be highly coveted in portal market.

I am frustrated that Iowa cannot even compete to keep our own players.

What are our chances of landing good transfers with minimal NIL?

Right now I am as discouraged as I have been looking to next season as when lick was in charge.
LOL at one of the top 5 players in the league. Perkins had his moments, was a whiner and had to be coached up a lot by the assistant's. Benched several times for lack of interest.

Perkins had some good games, but, Iowa will not miss him

LOL at one of the top 5 players in the league. Perkins had his moments, was a whiner and had to be coached up a lot by the assistant's. Benched several times for lack of interest.

I totally disagree with this statement. Perkins was a difference maker in a lot of games this year and is one of only 3 true guards on the team. Without a good portal add at that position, next season will look a lot like this one if not significantly worse.

Based on... what?

Perkins was better than Dix in every single defensive category I can find: steals, blocks, defensive rating, defensive +/- box scorer, defensive rebounds, etc.
Defensive metrics are not always a great indicator of effectiveness. Tony was a good defender, but Dix always drew the toughest defensive assignments because he was easily the best perimeter defender on the team.

Carolina has Cadeau who is already better than TP. Struggling with his shot at the moment but a great point.
Not saying they are desperate, but 5 of their 7 G's are seniors this year, so they could look to bring in quality depth. They can afford that type of expen$e.

Reactions: SB_SB
They certainly played more minutes, but statistically Harding was better than Gessell in 3 point shooting and assists. Bohannon shot the 3 a little better, but Harding had more asisists per minute and a better A/T ratio. I think Harding is a better defender than Bohannon, not as good as Gessell. It’s subjective, I admit.

Bohannon

Gessell

Harding

All this tells me is, we haven't been very lucky with getting a great guard.

Has the same feel as the end of the Lick era. Transfers were less common then, but multiple Years in a row Lick would lose one of his top 3 players.

I know that there is a lot more player movement now, but Tony seemed like a HAWKEYE yet Fran can't keep him.

Time to turn the page BETH!
We've got a decent program to be comparing to Licklighter, but nobody can make an individual player happy. Coaches should always be looking for someone better than they have and Tony definitely peaked last year. The team will have equal or better starters without him next year.

Super.

So Perkins isn't done, he's just done with Iowa. Either our NIL for hoops sucks (no secret, I guess) and they can't retain players, or he's not happy at Iowa. I assume it's mostly the former, not as much the latter, but either way, the current state of affairs doesn't inspire a lot of hope with me regarding Iowa men's hoops. :(

• Sad
I totally disagree with this statement. Perkins was a difference maker in a lot of games this year and is one of only 3 true guards on the team. Without a good portal add at that position, next season will look a lot like this one if not significantly worse.

Yes Perkins was a difference maker in a number of games. The problem is, it wasn't enough. We know what we have in Perkins and the only way for this team to do more is for others to do more. And for others to do more, that might mean less for Perkins. So if you're Perkins and you're looking to next year, your role maybe less than this year. If that's going to happen then it might be best to move on to another school and play that same role on a better team.

Life will continue on. The portal and NIL … it’s a different world and zero restrictions. Maybe most surprising is he could have played one more year at Iowa… meaning - is it all about the money or he doesn’t see much hope on the horizon for the program itself - or both … and both are realistic…

Yep, we clearly won't miss the best athlete on the team and 2nd team all conference guy. Not a problem. Some you guys I don't even know what to say.

Based on... what?

Perkins was better than Dix in every single defensive category I can find: steals, blocks, defensive rating, defensive +/- box scorer, defensive rebounds, etc.
The eyeball test. Perkins cherry picks a lot and plays off his man, hence more steals, but not good fundamentals. I think Fran even said he was assigned the toughest player to guard. Im not the only one to think Dix is a better defender.

Last edited:
The eyeball test. Perkins cherry picks a lot and plays off is man, hence more steals, but not good fundamentals. I think Fran even said he was assigned the toughest player to guard. Im not the only one to think Dix is a better defender.
Yep, a player that was benched several times during the season for lack of effort. The last game he was checked out, but, watch how little effort he gave on the defensive side. Granted, that is the same for the whole team

Reactions: Willin
Yep, we clearly won't miss the best athlete on the team and 2nd team all conference guy. Not a problem. Some you guys I don't even know what to say.
Hey. Why would we want a second team all big ten guard, when we can just rely on Fran’s recruiting and development of other guards??? Don’t answer that. 😊🤦‍♂️

Reactions: littlez
Life will continue on. The portal and NIL … it’s a different world and zero restrictions. Maybe most surprising is he could have played one more year at Iowa… meaning - is it all about the money or he doesn’t see much hope on the horizon for the program itself - or both … and both are realistic…

It could be he also just wants to try something new. All the guys he's been playing with though the years are gone. It's now just a bunch of younger guys. The change could motivate him and he'll get different coaching that could benefit him.

This one stings.
I wish we had resources to retain his services if this is about NIL.
He struggled late in the year but was probably playing with wrist injury.
His shooting was sketchy after the wrist injury which makes sense.

I will again quote new MICH coach Dusty May from his introductory presser today
" at FAU I spent 20 to 25 % of my time on working to enhance our NIL collective, meeting with boosters and business people"

This seems to be the new job description for college coaches.
Can Fran adapt?

Fran isn't good at getting donors to donate to NIL and also not good at making additions from the Portal. Fran was a zero on Portal before NIL became and if he isn't good at raising NIL, what exactly is his talent that he gets paid $3.2 million/year to provide?

When Fran offered Perkins, I was thrilled---athletic guard that could shoot. He didn't turn out to be the shooter that I had expected, but he was every bit the athletic/physically strong guard that you see on our rivals.

I do agree without NIL Fran is not going to have a chance on portal this spring given he seems to lack charisma in attracting black athletes. I suppose he might pick up some equivalent of a Bakari Evelyn with no other prospects.

Best wishes to Perkins. Sorry Iowa couldn't come up with a competitve NIL package to keep. I suppose there is still a chance the Swarm might have some money and make a push. Perkins probably realized Fran's prospects of an NCAA run look dim, so that hurts our chances.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Fran isn't good at getting donors to donate to NIL and also not good at making additions from the Portal. Fran was a zero on Portal before NIL became and if he isn't good at raising NIL, what exactly is his talent that he gets paid $3.2 million/year to provide?

When Fran offered Perkins, I was thrilled---athletic guard that could shoot. He didn't turn out to be the shooter that I had expected, but he was every bit the athletic/physically strong guard that you see on our rivals.

I do agree without NIL Fran is not going to have a chance on portal this spring given he seems to lack charisma in attracting black athletes. I suppose he might pick up some equivalent of a Bakari Evelyn with no other prospects.

Best wishes to Perkins. Sorry Iowa couldn't come up with a competitve NIL package to keep. I suppose there is still a chance the Swarm might have some money and make a push. Perkins probably realized Fran's prospects of an NCAA run look dim, so that hurts our chances.
I’d say Rebraca was a good pick up. We wouldn’t have made the NCAAs last year without him. Krikke was a big miss.With Perkins leaving Fran definitely needs to change his strategies and pick up a couple good portal players. That means he needs to roust up some money. I wonder, and I’m surprised we haven’t seen anything on this, but what prevents a coach from donating half his salary to NIL? Seems a sure fire way to build a roster.

Brock Harding better begin preparing to play a ton of minutes next season.
I gave Fran a B- this year as a rebuilding season
That kind of pass is over now.
Officially Fran is on the clock.
Next year..pass/fail test is making the NCAA tourney, period.

As of right now this roster needs more talent to achieve that, imo.

Is making the NCAA tourney that high of a bar in 14 team league that has averaged roughly 6 bids each year in last few years? The Big10 this year had two really good teams and 10 average teams and still got 5 bids.

Iowa is in a bad position. We can't make an impact hire that can harvest the portal without some NIL and with our current coach, no one wants to donate NIL. Fran needs to get off his azz and raise some NIL. We also need a Men's basketball focused NIL collective---giving to swarm, not sure where my money went.

Since the prevailing mood is doom and gloom, how we gonna feel when FM brings in these players from the portal?

An MVC type guard
Cream Abdul-Jabbar

I don't see him recruiting over his current guys. He never has.

I’d say Rebraca was a good pick up. We wouldn’t have made the NCAAs last year without him. Krikke was a big miss.With Perkins leaving Fran definitely needs to change his strategies and pick up a couple good portal players. That means he needs to roust up some money. I wonder, and I’m surprised we haven’t seen anything on this, but what prevents a coach from donating half his salary to NIL? Seems a sure fire way to build a roster.

We had Rebracca for 2 years---1st year meh, 2nd year quality B1G starter. Krikke was not a help this year...he had maybe 10 games where his offense was enough to make up for him not rebounding or defending and giving up more points to the other team. Fran was a dud in Portal before NIL...so hard to believe, but he must be less than a zero now.---i.e. net donor to Portal.

I think the University is prevented by NCAA from rewarding NIL donors with special favors like better seats/access to players/coaches and similar rules in place for coaches donating to NIL...because University
could just jack up coaching pay with wink and nod to coach to fund the NIL program out of his paycheck.

I don't t think rules prevent Fran from going out and courting donors and giving them special access to the program in exchange for NIL. Swarm seemed to indicate Iowa has maybe 4 major donors--those guys seem
to be maybe $50-$100 million type rich guys not billionaires..getting those guys to fund football and basketball is a tall order. State of Iowa has maybe 1 million fans....need to get $10 out of each fan in the state, but the state is full of cheapies.

IMO, I think he's looking for a pay day.

Does he get one? We'll see.

HIs market value in NIL has to be North of $100K---$200K or more seems likely. If Iowa swarm isn't/wasn't able to come up with a competitive offer, then he DEFINITELY will get paid to play somewhere next year.

Before NIL, We lost a starter Isaiah Moss to Kansas to go there and be a bench guy....seems likely the draw of better NCAA performance and/or NIL pay will take him to a better situation from his point of view.

Tony supposedly loved Fran...or at least that was what I saw posted at times. I guess not enough love.

HIs market value in NIL has to be North of $100K---$200K or more seems likely. If Iowa swarm isn't/wasn't able to come up with a competitive offer, then he DEFINITELY will get paid to play somewhere next year.

Before NIL, We lost a starter Isaiah Moss to Kansas to go there and be a bench guy....seems likely the draw of better NCAA performance and/or NIL pay will take him to a better situation from his point of view.

Tony supposedly loved Fran...or at least that was what I saw posted at times. I guess not enough love.
Perkins is a much better athlete and player than Moss. And Moss ended up at KU. Its ridiculous to think a guy who’s as athletic as him and a 3 year starter at a Power 6 school is not going to be hugely valuable in the portal.

Reactions: SB_SB and Mohawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT