ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Perkins Mini-documentary

Hopefully this incoming class has some patience because the roster is over-loaded and minutes hard to come by. Possible transfer portal for some because of this.

Reactions: Ronman
Hopefully this incoming class has some patience because the roster is over-loaded and minutes hard to come by. Possible transfer portal for some because of this.

I would say that this could be a distinct possibility, patience is going to be the key word for these incoming freshmen.
My hope is that Fran and his staff have instructed these 5 freshmen that playing time is going to be limited and every minute they see on the court is to be cherished.
As a fan I'm extremely excited to see what these young men can do, but I also understand that the returning veterans are going to play the bulk of the minutes. As a fan I've waited all my life to see an Iowa team return this much firepower, October can't get here soon enough.....

I hope that the incoming freshmen push the upperclassman for playing time. Wouldn't it be great if a freshman or two earned starter-level minutes by the middle of the year?

A lot of dunks for a guard! He seems to be able to shoot (at least layups) left or right handed. A lot of good players in college always use the dominant hand even from the wrong side of the basket. Looks like he may be a really good player!

I would say that this could be a distinct possibility, patience is going to be the key word for these incoming freshmen.
My hope is that Fran and his staff have instructed these 5 freshmen that playing time is going to be limited and every minute they see on the court is to be cherished.
As a fan I'm extremely excited to see what these young men can do, but I also understand that the returning veterans are going to play the bulk of the minutes. As a fan I've waited all my life to see an Iowa team return this much firepower, October can't get here soon enough.....
I doubt McC or any basketball coach would say that a player's minutes would be limited. They would tell them that if they can come in and compete for minutes, they can earn them. They would never tell them that playing time is going to be limited. These kids need the motivation to excel. Playing time is what motivates them.

Can't wait to see this kid throw down a few of those one handed hammer dunks ! He's got one hell of a vertical.

Interesting discussion, both Perkins and Ulis appear to have some good skills. If they both come in and are the real deal, they will get minutes. If they aren't ready yet, they get very few or potentially redshirt.

Keep in mind, our back court is really good, but most of the guys do have a weakness.

Regarding the mini-documentary...that is really well done. Tony appears to have solid family support, that is always good for the young players.

Reactions: perryhawk
I think a lot of you will be surprised the minutes Ulis and Perkins get... and yes I know how loaded the backcourt is...

The only way that happens if they absolutely dazzle. There’s no way there’s enough minutes to go around and provide any kind on continuity; JBO, Joe T, CJ, Joe W and Connor all provide minutes at times in the backcourt or wing. Now toss in 2 more to that mix? I don’t see it for someone(s).

One jewell of last seasons situation was a tighter rotation which worked very well. If we start doing a fire drill again just to say we played someone is not going to make anyone happy.

We ran out of gas a few times last year. In the big ten, having the depth we will have next year is going to be huge. Ulis, Perkins can allow Joe W to stick to the 3. It will give CJ a chance to stay healthy, JBo might not be the same as he was. I think these boys play. We might also see more types of man press with their added athletic ability. Not a knock on the current group, but they are a better defensive zone team, not man to man.

Iowa is going to have by far its deepest and most talent diverse backcourt in a very long time. I really like what both Ulis and Perkins bring to the team. Both seemed to be underrated and under-recruited, at least until more recently. We sure have the physicality in our guards that was lacking a couple of years ago.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
These freshmen guards can see what is on the depth chart ahead of them. Of course every starting position is always up for grabs-in theory. In reality the freshmen guards are buried behind Iowa's best guard corps since 88-89. That will become even more apparent once the freshmen start actually playing against Joe T, Jordan, CJ and C Mac.

Reactions: perryhawk
I haven't been this excited about Iowa basketball since the Marble/Armstrong/Horton days. Really like the current roster, and I've become more and more impressed with the incoming players. Seems like Fran & Co., did a great job identifying (early) most of these kids, who then seemed to up their game even more after they committed to Iowa.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
Iowa is going to have by far its deepest and most talent diverse backcourt in a very long time. I really like what both Ulis and Perkins bring to the team. Both seemed to be underrated and under-recruited, at least until more recently. We sure have the physicality in our guards that was lacking a couple of years ago.
Well said ... All of this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT