ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12

Bulldogs1974

HR Legend
Oct 16, 2012
I’m watching isu and will watch a majority of the big 12 games today.
The whole conference looks like they have men and ours has boys. The game speed and defense is at a whole other level.
How can fran look at the state of basketball and then look at his team and think he has a prayer.
Dembele and Perkins are the only two guys that even looks the part. I love freeman but if he were in the big 12 or big east his numbers are likely not freshman of the week worthy. How the f, with the money the big ten has, do we have the players we have. Not just Iowa.

The whole conference looks like they have men and ours has boys. The game speed and defense is at a whole other level.
How can fran look at the state of basketball and then look at his team and think he has a prayer.
Dembele and Perkins are the only two guys that even looks the part. I love freeman but if he were in the big 12 or big east his numbers are likely not freshman of the week worthy. How the f, with the money the big ten has, do we have the players we have. Not just Iowa.

Quite frankly, the Big 12 is set to be the best basketball conference ever in my mind. Surpassing the old great Big East & they WERE great!

Next year they bring in Colorado, Utah, and Arizona State, who all have had some successes in basketball & some history, and Arizona, who quite frankly, is one of the Blue Bloods at this point in time over the last 40 years..

They are big time..!!

Iowa st can make the final 4, I’m just sayin’ 🤷‍♂️ per usual, they’ll need the right draw and I don’t think they have enough firepower to win, but the are very San Diego St-ish….never great offense, but length, athleticism and constant defensive pressure.

Reactions: Andrew Houk
Iowa st can make the final 4, I’m just sayin’ 🤷‍♂️ per usual, they’ll need the right draw and I don’t think they have enough firepower to win, but the are very San Diego St-ish….never great offense, but length, athleticism and constant defensive pressure.
With that defense and a solid shooting streak I would agree.

Reactions: cmhawks99
While there are certainly exceptions, the big12 is relatively loaded with athletic guards who have athletic bodies. Again with some exceptions, an ideal backcourt looks like what baylor or houston puts on the floor.

Sandfort would play a lot on almost every team in the country IMO. He would be an excellent complimentary stretch 4 or 3 in certain programs. With Iowa he’s needed as the #2 option, which shouldn’t be his role. We just don’t have enough guards to create space for him to get good shots.

Sandfort would play a lot on almost every team in the country IMO. He would be an excellent complimentary stretch 4 or 3 in certain programs. With Iowa he’s needed as the #2 option, which shouldn’t be his role. We just don’t have enough guards to create space for him to get good shots.
Agree Sanford could play on lots of teams, but he would be overwhelmed physically as a 4 for big minutes.

He’s good but if he had to play defense at the level of the big 12 teams how much would his % be affected.

I don't care how well he can shoot the ball - Sandfort is a liability on defense. No thanks. That and his antics on the floor (bitching out his teammates, blowing kisses to the crowd), scream d-bag. No thanks. Must be the Iowa way.

Quite frankly, the Big 12 is set to be the best basketball conference ever in my mind. Surpassing the old great Big East & they WERE great!

Next year they bring in Colorado, Utah, and Arizona State, who all have had some successes in basketball & some history, and Arizona, who quite frankly, is one of the Blue Bloods at this point in time over the last 40 years..

They are big time..!!

Bracketology has 10 of 14 Big 12 teams in the dance. And the Big 12 will be even better next year when Arizona joins. Every game is brutal, there are no off nights. Most games feel like sweet 16 games.

Nope. They play to physically. The Big 12 will have the same issue the Big 10 has had in the past. Refs in the league let way too much physical contact go by without a call. Once they get to the round of 32, that stuff starts getting called because the last thing the NCAA wants is a bunch of games where neither team scores 65 points.

Reactions: StarHawk
Nope. They play to physically. The Big 12 will have the same issue the Big 10 has had in the past. Refs in the league let way too much physical contact go by without a call. Once they get to the round of 32, that stuff starts getting called because the last thing the NCAA wants is a bunch of games where neither team scores 65 points.

Probably some validity to that🤔

He’s good but if he had to play defense at the level of the big 12 teams how much would his % be affected.
He’s a college athlete, I have a hard time believing endurance would be much of an issue. And I would argue he’d have much better opportunities being surrounded by better guards. There’s a place on every team with a lot of minutes for a guy that shoots it like him. Like i said, complimentary piece not primary.

Sandfort would not play at ISU. He can't guard. He wouldn't see the floor.
Tell yourself whatever you want. Zero doubt in my mind a guy shooting 46% overall and 39% from 3 while avg 15ppg and 6.5rpg would be seeing the floor for your mighty clowns, and not just a few minutes either. Also fran sucks ass at teaching d, give sandfort a competent defensive coach and he might look a little different on that end as well

Endurance is not the issue. It’s the effort it takes to play defense at a high level the can cause problems. I don’t know how he’d do but there is no way in hell he shoots the same % as he does now. He has never had to work that hard under Fran’s don’t foul defense.

He’s a college athlete, I have a hard time believing endurance would be much of an issue. And I would argue he’d have much better opportunities being surrounded by better guards. There’s a place on every team with a lot of minutes for a guy that shoots it like him. Like i said, complimentary piece not primary.

Tell yourself whatever you want. Zero doubt in my mind a guy shooting 46% overall and 39% from 3 while avg 15ppg and 6.5rpg would be seeing the floor for your mighty clowns, and not just a few minutes either. Also fran sucks ass at teaching d, give sandfort a competent defensive coach and he might look a little different on that end as well
If you can't play defense for Otz, you aren't going to see much time. Just ask 5* Omaha, he did not play at all today.

Endurance is not the issue. It’s the effort it takes to play defense at a high level the can cause problems. I don’t know how he’d do but there is no way in hell he shoots the same % as he does now. He has never had to work that hard under Fran’s don’t foul defense.
No way in hell huh? Bold statement. Idk wtf he’d shoot either, but he’s a damn good shooter and would be going from being a serious focal point of every defense to being the 3rd-4th option and having guards that can actually beat someone off the bounce and create for their teammates=more open shots.

Defenders don’t guard guys from best to worst only. There is consideration to position. He’s also going to go from a bad conference to a great one.
The banging and playing defense would affect his offense. Why don’t think Fran lets defense lapse. Watch the amount of time Iowa defenders stand on defense then watch a big 12 game. It’s like watching 1A vs 4A basketball

He’d be facing much better defenses and he’d have to be able to play relentless, smothering, physical defense. Good player for sure but hard to know since we’re comparing apples to oranges.

Disagree with your take on Freeman. He is legit and would do well in any conference, including the Big 12.

Reactions: Cydkar and nelly02
Sandfort would not play at ISU. He can't guard. He wouldn't see the floor.

Sandfort might not start but he'd play a lot. I agree ISU doesn't recruit slender lanky guys that can't defend, but they do need offense. They can still defend with 4 great defenders and 1 slow dude. Also ISU coach would get more out of Sandfort on defense than Fran does.

I think Dix, Perkins, Sandfort, and Freeman individually would be starter material or at least high minutes on a lot of B12 teams. You wouldn't see all 4 of them starting on the same team because that would be a bottom feeder team in Big12 vs little bit below mediocre in Big10.

Krikke and PMAC would be deeper bench guys becuase of their poor defense/lack of rebounding. No B1G 12 team would play Krikke, PMac, and Sandfort at the same time....that would be defensive suicide and that was Fran's idea of the best lineup for Iowa to start the season.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
I don't care how well he can shoot the ball - Sandfort is a liability on defense. No thanks. That and his antics on the floor (bitching out his teammates, blowing kisses to the crowd), scream d-bag. No thanks. Must be the Iowa way.
Pretty much tells us who's camp you are not in. Why come to an Iowa board? How would a non Iowa fan define the "Iowa" way?

Sandfort might not start but he'd play a lot. I agree ISU doesn't recruit slender lanky guys that can't defend, but they do need offense. They can still defend with 4 great defenders and 1 slow dude. Also ISU coach would get more out of Sandfort on defense than Fran does.

I think Dix, Perkins, Sandfort, and Freeman individually would be starter material or at least high minutes on a lot of B12 teams. You wouldn't see all 4 of them starting on the same team because that would be a bottom feeder team in Big12 vs little bit below mediocre in Big10.

Krikke and PMAC would be deeper bench guys becuase of their poor defense/lack of rebounding. No B1G 12 team would play Krikke, PMac, and Sandfort at the same time....that would be defensive suicide and that was Fran's idea of the best lineup for Iowa to start the season.
That's all fair.
It gets at what many of us have continual concerns about with Fran.
Defense is not really a consideration for him. That includes roster management through in game lineups he puts on the floor.
Sandfort is a good example. A great shooter with limited athletic ability to defend his position. He's an excellent piece who, if not a starter, could get a lot of minutes on many teams. But, he needs to be on the floor with better defenders who play good team D and with a rim protector. And you don't have a roster that has multiple players who are also minus defenders with limited athletic ability. And compound that by putting them on the floor at the same time.

That's all fair.
It gets at what many of us have continual concerns about with Fran.
Defense is not really a consideration for him. That includes roster management through in game lineups he puts on the floor.
Sandfort is a good example. A great shooter with limited athletic ability to defend his position. He's an excellent piece who, if not a starter, could get a lot of minutes on many teams. But, he needs to be on the floor with better defenders who play good team D and with a rim protector. And you don't have a roster that has multiple players who are also minus defenders with limited athletic ability. And compound that by putting them on the floor at the same time.

Seems like we both have same few of Fran's system. I know Fran fans are hopeful on next year especiallyt if Perkins returns....on paper that lineup would look pretty stout with Perkins/Dix/Sandfort/Dimbele/Freeman....but the skeptic in me says...

Perkins won't return---he'll get more NIL money at a big time school and we'll probably get some other kick in the azz from someone else leaving. Fran's portal imports will be another guy that has offense but can't defend.

The two PGs we do have returning...Bowen looks like Ulis the 2nd, ie. no offensive game. Harding really can run a team, but he's so tiny he'll never ge a guy that can go get you a basket with athleticism/strength and he'll get abused on defense at times because he's tiny,.

Then of course we have Fran coaching the team next year, so that means teaching no defense and no managing of playing time to insure a good defensive roster.

If Perkins returns 11-13 B1G wins and DOA after making Ncaa tourney.
No Perkins probably 8-10 B1G wins and no ncaa tourney

Perkins and Freeman could make some coin on the open market. I hate what college sports is becoming.

Perkins leaving would seem to be a likely possibility.
He's already commented that this is his last year at Iowa. Add to that the opportunity to make significantly more $$ at another program. And, the potential to play for a team that might actually do something in the NCAA tourney.
Making money as a 1 year roster add for a contender before moving on to a career overseas; I wouldn't blame Tony at all for going that route.

Disagree with your take on Freeman. He is legit and would do well in any conference, including the Big 12.

Freeman I don't think would play as much as he's playing at Iowa this year, simply because there are three 6th year bigs on ISU's roster as well and they'd all be splitting time, but I think he's a very solid player and Fran did a great job landing him.

They are big time..!!
BUT,,,,,is the B12 as good as the old Missouri Valley, back in the late 50’s and 60’s? Those were some dog teams!
Cincy, St. Louis, Wichita St, Drake, Bradley….later Louisville, and they all had players galore! Valley ball was once really America’s best.
Altho….the B12 right now is head and shoulders above most everyone else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT