ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Comedy Shows

Tough crowd if Modern Family hasn't been mentioned once yet. Great comedy show imo.

How I met your mother, which i happen to know is generally reviled on hrot, also entertaining.
Both good shows, but wouldn’t put on my Top 5. For example, Scrubs also great.

Reactions: funksouljon
5. The Middle
4. Top Gear UK (Clarkson, Hammond, May episodes)
3. The Grand Tour
2. What We do in the Shadows
1. Always Sunny

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Tough crowd if Modern Family hasn't been mentioned once yet. Great comedy show imo.

How I met your mother, which i happen to know is generally reviled on hrot, also entertaining.

laugh track and horrible ending aside, HIMYM had some solid moments.

In no particular order:

1. Andy Griffith Show
2. Honeymooners
3. Dick Van Dyke Show
4. Barney Miller
5. All in the Family

Superior writing and characters that we would grow to love and even identify with. These shows all stand the test of time. They are every bit as good today as they were when they were made.

Reactions: Torg
The Simpsons seasons 2-8/9 is arguably the greatest show ever. Say what you want about the drop off after that, but seasons 2-9 is the funniest and best written comedy television show of all time.
That's a perfectly cromulent take

In your opinion.

Nathan For You
What We Do in The Shadows
Another Period
Last Man on Earth
You're the Worst

Special mention
Super Store and The Good Place

Your two special mentions are the only ones I’ve heard of.

Reactions: Moral
Ever?

Psych
Fraser
WKRP
Mary Tyler Moore Show
Cheers

A couple of notes...
I didn't include sketch comedy, Monty Python's Flying Circus, the Goodies and Key and Peele would all get serious consideration.

Also, I would have included The Young Ones, since it's the funniest show I've seen, but only lasted 12 episodes over 2 seasons.

I'll accept Modern Family. Hard pass on How I Met Your Mother.

The more I watch it, the more I think “Bob’s Burgers” is the best comedy on TV right now. Just excellent writing, fantastic characters and whimsical and consistently hilarious without being mean spirited.

Others I enjoy right now: What We Do in Shadows, AP Bio, Big Mouth and Ted Lasso.

A new goofy show I caught on TBS that I liked the first two episodes of is called Chad. It’s goofy as hell - if you are into “cringe”
Comedy like “The Office” or awkward teens like Big Mouth or Freak and Geeks - check it out:

If you like Chad which I do, you will like Pen15. I feel like I have said this somewhere already. Yay alcohol.

In no particular order:

1. Andy Griffith Show
2. Honeymooners
3. Dick Van Dyke Show
4. Barney Miller
5. All in the Family

Superior writing and characters that we would grow to love and even identify with. These shows all stand the test of time. They are every bit as good today as they were when they were made.
Good call on All in the Family.

In your opinion.

Nathan For You
What We Do in The Shadows
Another Period
Last Man on Earth
You're the Worst

Special mention
Super Store and The Good Place
The Nathan For You finale “Finding Frances” might be my favorite two hours of television ever. So many amazing moments and quotes from that one.

I watch it from time to time when I need a laugh. Never fails to deliver.

Reactions: Moral
The Nathan For You finale “Finding Frances” might be my favorite two hours of television ever. So many amazing moments and quotes from that one.

I watch it from time to time when I need a laugh. Never fails to deliver.

It was really good, and just the right amount of cringe.

Reactions: WrigleyHawkeye20
Do shows like Smothers Brothers, Carol Burnett Show, Laugh In, belong in this category?

I put the skit and cartoons in separate categories from episodic or serial live action comedies. There’s not quite enough serial live action comedies to break those off but they seem to be growing with shows like Dave, Ted Lasso, Mythic Quest, Barry, You’re the Worst, Avenue 5, Miracle Workers, Resident Alien, Better Things, Good Place and Uploaded being so serial in nature you can’t really watch episodes out of order.

Seinfeld
Cheers
Scrubs
Gilligans Island
Bugs Bunny and Road runner show qualify as comedy ?

Modern Family (tie)
Kim Convenience (tie)
Either of Bob Newhart's shows
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
The Office (Original British version)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT