ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer changes coming?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/18/16902880/ncaa-transfer-rules-changes

'While “nothing is official,”... the NCAA could let athletes with a minimum 2.7 or 2.8 grade-point average transfer without having to sit out. Those changes ... would go into effect August 2018.'

This would sure shake things up.

So you mean there's a chance............

We might get Teasdale for 133 after all.............

1440872348482650_animate.gif

Reactions: DirkTang1
I think this potential rule change would help other schools more than Iowa. Tom talks about playing by the rules, and I think this includes his rules as much as NCAA rules. He has strong concepts of integrity that could impact his willingness to “recruit” athletes from other schools.

Reactions: Neo_Hawk
In theory sounds like there is some validity, however, theory and reality often have no correlation. What will happen is the rich will get richer and the down and or mediocre programs will lose their best athletes who want to showcase their talents on a championship quality team. You think Cael would not have had a top 10 rated 125 pounder transfer if there was no rule mandating the athlete sit out? Second thing as is usually the case the big ten would most likely have their own set of rules that would put them at a disadvantage with future recruiting.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/18/16902880/ncaa-transfer-rules-changes

'While “nothing is official,”... the NCAA could let athletes with a minimum 2.7 or 2.8 grade-point average transfer without having to sit out. Those changes ... would go into effect August 2018.'

This would sure shake things up.

So you mean there's a chance............

We might get Teasdale for 133 after all.............

Wouldn't the B10 have to change its transfer rules as well with regards to a transfer inside the conference. . . .

The NCAA doesn't require wrestling transfers to sit out now. The loss of a year is a B1G rule so I don't think this proposal will affect wrestling at all.

The Hawks opponent this weekend had a high profile transfer (Campbell) wrestling that announced his transer what seemed like minutes after he was eliminated at the last NCAAs. The Hawks have a 149 transfer that is eligible now but electing to redshirt. There have been a few former Hawks to transer out recently that wrestled right away (Gross, Ryan, St. John...)

Last edited:
The NCAA doesn't require wrestling transfers to sit out now. The loss of a year is a B1G rule so I don't think this proposal will affect wrestling at all.

The Hawks opponent this weekend had a high profile transfer (Campbell) wrestling that announced his transer what seemed like minutes after he was eliminated at the last NCAAs. The Hawks have a 149 transfer that is eligible now but electing to redshirt. There have been a few former Hawks to transer out recently that wrestled right away (Gross, Ryan, St. John...)

Athlete, wrestler, must be released from current school before his eligibility is immediate.

Reactions: MVPFAN
If your coach doesn't release you then you've to sit a year.Most coaches do release athletes but some dont

Athlete, wrestler, must be released from current school before his eligibility is immediate.
Under current NCAA rules some sports require sitting a year after a transfer regardless of a release. Wrestling is not one of those sports. The proposal would not affect wrestling.

Right now an undergrad football player could not play right away transferring Alabama to Iowa regardless of whether or not Nick Saban oks it. If new rule goes into effect the player would not be required to sit a year.

Last edited:
Under current NCAA rules some sports require sitting a year after a transfer regardless of a release. Wrestling is not one of those sports. The proposal would not affect wrestling.

Right now an undergrad football player could not play right away transferring Alabama to Iowa regardless of whether or not Nick Saban oks it. If new rule goes into effect the player would not be required to sit a year.

Tell that to Jay Borschel and Brent Metcalf. And in more recent times, Sky St. John, Logan Ryan and Jack Wagner.

https://iawrestle.com/2017/08/23/logan-ryan-transferring-to-northern-iowa/

https://iawrestle.com/2017/08/15/jack-wagner-transferring-out-of-iowa/

Reactions: MVPFAN
Tell that to Jay Borschel and Brent Metcalf. And in more recent times, Sky St. John, Logan Ryan and Jack Wagner.

https://iawrestle.com/2017/08/23/logan-ryan-transferring-to-northern-iowa/

https://iawrestle.com/2017/08/15/jack-wagner-transferring-out-of-iowa/
Thell them that? Tell them what exactly? What I posted is of no consequence to them.

Maybe I'm doing a horrible job expressing myself on the subject but this rule doesn't affect wrestling.
The proposed rule change would not eliminate the need for a release to be eligible right away in wrestling.

In football right now even with a release you have to sit a year if you transfer. This is not the case in wrestling. New rule gets rid of that mandatory sit out period for a transfer that everyone involved is ok with.

Read the article and the link within the link that the article followed up on.

Reactions: Huck and LBlindHawk
Thell them that? Tell them what exactly? What I posted is of no consequence to them.

Maybe I'm doing a horrible job expressing myself on the subject but this rule doesn't affect wrestling.
The proposed rule change would not eliminate the need for a release to be eligible right away in wrestling.

In football right now even with a release you have to sit a year if you transfer. This is not the case in wrestling. New rule gets rid of that mandatory sit out period for a transfer that everyone involved is ok with.

Read the article and the link within the link that the article followed up on.

Sorry. Read your post way too early in the morning. You are and were totally correct.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT