ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal I.E. free agency

DougERot

HR MVP
Aug 22, 2005
Back Home in Iowa
What does everyone think that the impact of the transfer portal coupled with the NCAA allowing immediate eligibility will have on the Hawkeyes. Other programs have been heavily impacted so far. My guess is Iowa will lose between 5-10 transfers. What does everyone else think?

1-5?
5-10?
10 or more?

We currently have 5 in the portal plus OM transfered already. Certainly will have more between the end of the season and the start of next season

What does everyone think that the impact of the transfer portal coupled with the NCAA allowing immediate eligibility will have on the Hawkeyes. Other programs have been heavily impacted so far. My guess is Iowa will lose between 5-10 transfers. What does everyone else think?

1-5?
5-10?
10 or more?
I think Trevor Lawrence should forego the NFL draft and transfer to Iowa so we can win the national championship......

There are so many that will be in the Transfer Portal that coaches will be able to be very choosy. How many will find new homes?

Reactions: 4IUSox2
I think it can help a program like ours if we use it properly. Find players to fill in gaps where depth is needed.

• Who does Iowa have in there now?
  • It seems more and more like FA.
  • They seem to be made up of two types of players. Those who are struggling to make rotation and those who are at a lower level and looking to prove it on a bigger stage. More so the former.

Reactions: mlb1399
There are so many that will be in the Transfer Portal that coaches will be able to be very choosy. How many will find new homes?

Just because they put their name in the transfer portal doesn't mean they are automatically leaving. What would be interesting would be if they don't find a "better situation" and fail to find one. Is a their previous coach able to tell them they no longer have a spot?

• Who does Iowa have in there now?
  • It seems more and more like FA.
  • They seem to be made up of two types of players. Those who are struggling to make rotation and those who are at a lower level and looking to prove it on a bigger stage. More so the former.

I don't even remember all of them. The latest one was Brents.

We currently have 5 in the portal plus OM transfered already. Certainly will have more between the end of the season and the start of next season

And you know this is certain to occur, please share the details. Stop throwing crap up against a wall to see if it sticks. Do you ever stop to think maybe these players are the problem and not the program?

Iowa is getting better players year in and year out at all of the position groups so playing time is hard to come by when you’ve got high level three to four star guys trying to see the field. If they don’t see it due to the talent level, they leave to go play elsewhere.

You make it seem like there is a problem with the program so there will be a lot of transfers. It’s tough to play D1 football, nothing is given.

Reactions: Arbor1
The transfer portal has helped us so far. Our defensive line was significantly improved this season. I don't think anyone needs to spend time worrying about it - let's just see how it unfolds.

If Heflin and ZVV come back which I think is a possibility do we need a transfer? That would solidify a potential great defense. I would like to see a transfer at corner at least for depth.

Reactions: nu2u
If Heflin and ZVV come back which I think is a possibility do we need a transfer? That would solidify a potential great defense. I would like to see a transfer at corner at least for depth.
If we dip into the portal this offseason I believe it'll be for the defensive line. I feel good about our db's especially with Parker at the helm. Those guys are always next man up ready to go

Definitely a need at CB. I'd like to see PP pick up two. As it stands now, Iowa really can't afford more than one injury at that position. A multi-year experienced CB or two would really help. That said, I am impressed the way Terry Roberts has performed - he looks like an emerging star at CB.

I don't believe the DL has the same dire need. If either VV or Heflin return, the Hawks should be able to field a very good unit even with Golston and Nixon leaving the program. Waggoner is ripe for a breakthrough. Lorbeck is an experienced DE transfer. Shannon and Evans were rotated this year. Lee, Jones, Bruce, McCall, Craig, Karchinski, and Black - all younger talent with potential to make a significant impact, especially Lee and Jones IMO. Coach Bell has a lot to work with and produced an excellent DL this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: millhawk
I think the portal can be a huge benefit to us if we use it carefully. We all know that for years and years, many high talent level kids have made bad choices. They assumed that they would be the starter at OSU or AL or wherever. Now they find themselves on second or third string, maybe because of talent ahead of them but maybe because of style of play or poor current coaching evaluation, or whatever.

So there's certainly "gold in those hills". But it takes a lot of diligence to separate it from the bad character, academics, attitudes, etc that also exist in those hills. Additionally there will be little current film to evaluate.

But it CAN be a tremendous resource for us. So much so, that I would assign a staff member to devote most of his time to "in-depth investigation of portal candidates".

And you know this is certain to occur, please share the details. Stop throwing crap up against a wall to see if it sticks. Do you ever stop to think maybe these players are the problem and not the program?

Iowa is getting better players year in and year out at all of the position groups so playing time is hard to come by when you’ve got high level three to four star guys trying to see the field. If they don’t see it due to the talent level, they leave to go play elsewhere.

You make it seem like there is a problem with the program so there will be a lot of transfers. It’s tough to play D1 football, nothing is given.
Guessing 95% of all d1 schools will have someone enter the transfer portal between now and the start of the next season. You don't think Iowa will have anymore once spring practices come around and guys see where they fall on the dept chart or once fall practices approaches? It's only natural with roster sizes and they way the game/rules have changed that some players will look for new opportunities.

He never made any mention of there being 'ANY' problem. Oh, and he could be right. Some may want to wait until after the bowl game if there is one or wait to decompress after this odd season before coming to a decision. There has never been a year where players could find a reason to move on.
I feel bad for schools like Coastal Carolina. They will turn in to AA or AAA feeder schools for the haves and it shows now. I was told they currently have 10 players in the portal.

Reactions: OILCHECKER
If we dip into the portal this offseason I believe it'll be for the defensive line. I feel good about our db's especially with Parker at the helm. Those guys are always next man up ready to go

If I'm wrong about the two I mentioned returning then I agree. I'm high on Roberts but I see a thin position.

Just because they put their name in the transfer portal doesn't mean they are automatically leaving. What would be interesting would be if they don't find a "better situation" and fail to find one. Is a their previous coach able to tell them they no longer have a spot?

I don't even remember all of them. The latest one was Brents.
Hence did they really matter??...Brents could have been a stud, but I'm not sure he's still into the game mentally.

The transfer portal has helped us so far. Our defensive line was significantly improved this season. I don't think anyone needs to spend time worrying about it - let's just see how it unfolds.
Portal = recruiting 24/7/365 with no dead periods.

Portal should not be ignored, but recruiting HS student-athletes is still the top priority, by far.

Footnote: If Iowa's racial inequality issues were as bad as thought this past summer, there would probably be 30 African -American players in the portal by now. Good job making changes, Kirk and staff. Now, you just have to convince the 2022 class and beyond recruits.

Portal = recruiting 24/7/365 with no dead periods.

Portal should not be ignored, but recruiting HS student-athletes is still the top priority, by far.

Footnote: If Iowa's racial inequality issues were as bad as thought this past summer, there would probably be 30 African -American players in the portal by now. Good job making changes, Kirk and staff. Now, you just have to convince the 2022 class and beyond recruits.
Missouri's past racial skeletons did not seem to hurt their recruiting this year. I and a number of other posters stated when everything hit the fan this summer that there was no better coach and human being to address the issues. Just sorry to see that the liberal biased Iowa and National media drug an extremely high character individual through the proverbial mud. PATHETIC!!

Definitely a need at CB. I'd like to see PP pick up two. As it stands now, Iowa really can't afford more than one injury at that position. A multi-year experienced CB or two would really help. That said, I am impressed the way Terry Roberts has performed - he looks like an emerging star at CB.

I don't believe the DL has the same dire need. If either VV or Heflin return, the Hawks should be able to field a very good unit even with Golston and Nixon leaving the program. Waggoner is ripe for a breakthrough. Lorbeck is an experienced DE transfer. Shannon and Evans were rotated this year. Lee, Jones, Bruce, McCall, Craig, Karchinski, and Black - all younger talent with potential to make a significant impact, especially Lee and Jones IMO. Coach Bell has a lot to work with and produced an excellent DL this season.

Say goodbye to Roberts and Harris if we pick up 2 corners.

He never made any mention of there being 'ANY' problem. Oh, and he could be right. Some may want to wait until after the bowl game if there is one or wait to decompress after this odd season before coming to a decision. There has never been a year where players could find a reason to move on.
I feel bad for schools like Coastal Carolina. They will turn in to AA or AAA feeder schools for the haves and it shows now. I was told they currently have 10 players in the portal.
Can’t really blame them though. The committee has shown us that if you attend a non-power 5 school, you have absolutely no shot at a title and nobody will take you seriously. This was the year for an 8 team playoff but all we got was the same damn teams we see every year.

Look WeR - I'm retired spending Christmas Day on HR because my children and grandchildren aren't here trying to stay safe and keep us safe. I clearly have time to spending worrying about things! 😉

Roberts won't wait to be a senior to start.
Who said he couldn't win the position? Bringing in a transfer doesn't automatically mean he will have to wait. No promises are made to incoming transfers as far as I know.

Who said he couldn't win the position? Bringing in a transfer doesn't automatically mean he will have to wait. No promises are made to incoming transfers as far as I know.

Kirk himself said that transfers expect to play a lot. That's generally why they're transferring.

Kirk himself said that transfers expect to play a lot. That's generally why they're transferring.
Of course they expect to play a lot but they are not going to be handed playing time unless they earn it. That's another tenet Ferentz has strongly emphasized over and over for the last 20 years. Signing CB transfers is no different. It does not mean that you "say goodbye to Roberts and Harris". That is a ridiculous assumption IMO. And, as I stated earlier, if that does happen then so be it. In any event, Roberts in particular does not impress me as the type of person who would fold up his tent and leave.

Look WeR - I'm retired spending Christmas Day on HR because my children and grandchildren aren't here trying to stay safe and keep us safe. I clearly have time to spending worrying about things! 😉
Worry as a form of intertainment is another matter entirely. I only suggest that no one NEEDS to worry. But be happy!

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT