ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Targets

Probably not the best fit for Iowa’s current needs, but I believe Rutgers and Iowa were the only two official visits he took in high school.

Austin Powers Nerd GIF

Is Omaha the Willie Guy of basketball?

Willie was from Memphis I believe was the number recruited player in the country. Billew was a top 10-top 15.

There were coaches all over the country that wanted him, so it was not an Iowa bias. I still think he can develop into one hell of a player. He had a bunch of more experienced and developed big guy talent in front of him this year. And if you don't play great defense you don't play. I'm guessing his h.s. and a.a.u. coaches did not force him to play defense.

Is Harding ready to be a starter? Who do we need in the portal exactly? Harding is more of a slasher/pass first PG who can shoot when needed. We have Dix who is more of a 2/3 who prefers to catch a shoot. I would say we need a veteran guard who is more of a facilitator, we seem to have a couple of shooters now with the Sandforts and Dix.
Faciteamtor point guards aren't conducive to winning at a high level and haven't been for a long time. Scoring point guards with the ability to playmate at times on a team with other guys capable of getting their own shots who are also capable is actually how you win

I was responding to the post about Darryl Moore. Hill was in IC at same time as me, he probably weighed 240+ and was a beast (was listed at 6’6” but was likely 6’4”)
Agree on Hill. Listed at 6'6", but 6'4" sounds about right from what I remember. A solid mass packed on that frame.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
It won't surprise me at all if Fran goes out and gets a transfer from the portal for a position that Iowa doesn't need, Iowa needs to get at least a shooting guard and a point guard and if he gets a center along with the 2 guards, that would fill the 3 scholarships that are vacant.
Forwards are not Iowa's needs going into next year, but I can see Fran screwing up and picking another forward. Fran's best players have always been forwards.
Guards win games in the post season, not forwards, at least not that has proved to be true at Iowa under Fran. Heck, maybe there's a magic Johnson out there that Iowa can get on the cheap, but then probably not.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
It won't surprise me at all if Fran goes out and gets a transfer from the portal for a position that Iowa doesn't need, Iowa needs to get at least a shooting guard and a point guard and if he gets a center along with the 2 guards, that would fill the 3 scholarships that are vacant.
Forwards are not Iowa's needs going into next year, but I can see Fran screwing up and picking another forward. Fran's best players have always been forwards.
Guards win games in the post season, not forwards, at least not that has proved to be true at Iowa under Fran. Heck, maybe there's a magic Johnson out there that Iowa can get on the cheap, but then probably not.
shooting guards are Dix & Pryce S. PG's are Dix & Harding. yep, we need some help. Also need a backup center not named Mulvey.

shooting guards are Dix & Pryce S. PG's are Dix & Harding. yep, we need some help. Also need a backup center not named Mulvey.

Pryce is more of a wing/small forward. Listed as a F on roster too.

Dix is not really a point guard. He is a shooting guard who can play some point guard if needed.

Either way, we need a PG, SG and C.

If Iowa could bring in a transfer that is capable of earning a spot at one of the all-Big 10 teams, I would take him in a second, regardless of position. We can build around him.

If it were me, I would grab the best player(s) available, and not get hung up worrying about who will play what position.

(But yeah, we probably need a PG, for depth at the very least.)

Reactions: CarterHall
didnt see it posted yet🤪..a true portal veteran. Score: Ogundele 3-Proctor 2.

"6’11 300 C Josh Ogundele enters the portal after lone season with
@MT_MBB
Played in 9 games, but ended the season early by injury. He shot 56.6% from the field & 55.3% from the line. He had 25 rebounds, 4 assists, and block, & 3 steals. Best of luck Josh! Loved seeing you grow!"

• Haha
Reactions: ddeanHawk
More on this PG that IA is reportedly involved with…. Poster on another Hawk site saying he watched a couple LaSalle games in A10 tourney and he was the best player on the floor.

We desperately need both a 1 and 2 guard that are legit starter level talents. That will allow Dix to slide to 3, Sandfort at stretch 4, and of course Freeman at 5 with quality backups - especially at the 3-5 spots.

Not quite the career I expected from him coming out of high school. Yikes. Only 32 career points.
SEASONTEAM
2020-21
ISU
ISU
2022-23
SMU
SMU
2023-24
SMU
SMU
Career

FGFG%3PT3P%FTFT%ORDRREBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS
10-1662.53-475.05-771.4481212211428
2-633.30-10.00-10.0044011304
0-30.00-30.00-00.0112020300
12-2548.03-837.55-862.55131815317432
Does he have 2 years left then? The ISU season should be the COVID year

Our roster seems kind of lean in numbers. What we don't need is another lanky, slow twitch, below the rim, minus defender, minus rebounder in 6-5 to 6-9 range.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT