ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer QB

I don’t know why folks want to get a portal quarterback, especially one who is already an upperclassman. Everyone knows it takes at least 2.5 years to learn the playbook. No way a transfer QB ever sees the field at Iowa.

• Haha
Reactions: iavagabond
I don’t trust that we do have a decent qb on the roster with Brian and KF evaluating the talent. Petrash was supposed to be the real deal, and he’s the worst qb we’ve ever had.
Iowa broke Petras. I think he likely would be a good QB had he started in another system.

Reactions: Lumas Etima

Brett Gabbert (brother of Blaine) with 2 years of eligibility remaining.

Career:
59% comp
6,259 yds
45 TD
14 INT

No inside info, but I’d kick the tires.

Last week, @TomKakert suggested on the pod that Iowa's starting qb next year might be hitting the portal fairly soon. I wonder if this is just a coincidence............

I love how some of you want to shit all over Petras all the while he is getting ready to quarterback this team to back-to-back B1G west champs, which used to the be the bar of success. And before you all started bitching with your fingers on your keyboard and say that it was all the defense and we won championships in spite of him, think about teams like Minnesota and Wisconsin that had arguably comparable defenses, better offensive lines by far and better skill position talent and they couldn't do it. And to add to that, this year with having to play both OSU and Michigan while nobody else in the west had to do that and Purdue and Minnesota played neither.

It is sad because our players deserve more than that. Our coaches deserve more than that. And your constant complaining and whining does nothing to help the program and if anything does nothing but hurt it because our current players and recruited players see this stuff. And if you were one of those guys, would you want to play for crybabies like you? Would you want to come to this school? No, I wouldn't either.

Iowas starting QB next year is not on campus yet.

Heard from a current player that Petras does give the team the best chance to win and that the seniors are all in on him. The underclassman are excited for the QB that is committed.

First and foremost we definitely appear to need a transfer QB as of three years ago.

To go along with that, certainly hope the staff looks for a couple OL and at least one WR.

That’s assuming we want the offense to be better, which we might not.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Iowas starting QB next year is not on campus yet.

Heard from a current player that Petras does give the team the best chance to win and that the seniors are all in on him. The underclassman are excited for the QB that is committed.

Awesome and something most of us understood!

He looked pretty solid vs the Hawks a few years ago. The one bright spot from their (Miami-OH) team.

Was he hurt part of the season? I see he split plenty of time with another quarterback…

Only Iowa fans would be excited about a mid-major quarterback, who didn’t even start all year for his own team?

Next year's starting QB probably transfers in from whatever school the new OC comes from. Maybe Iowa can get one of Coastal Carolina's co-offensive coordinators and he can bring Grayson McCall with him.

Career: 520-739, 70.4%, 7700 yards, 75 TDs, 7 Int, 189.5 rating

Plus 1035 yards rushing with 15 TDs.

Was he hurt part of the season? I see he split plenty of time with another quarterback…

Only Iowa fans would be excited about a mid-major quarterback, who didn’t even start all year for his own team?

I’m not sure if he got hurt or not. I do know he looked fairly decent against Iowa though for a Freshman making his first start and at Kinnick Stadium.

I’m not sure if he got hurt or not. I do know he looked fairly decent against Iowa though for a Freshman making his first start and at Kinnick Stadium.

Yes, I remember I’m not trashing the kid. He looked fantastic in that game. All things considered, but again look at the stats for this year. It’s just curious to me is all.

Next year's starting QB probably transfers in from whatever school the new OC comes from. Maybe Iowa can get one of Coastal Carolina's co-offensive coordinators and he can bring Grayson McCall with him.

Ill confess, that would be awesome!

McCall already turned down transferring once, he's not going anywhere.

One thing you can say about SP - "he is tough". Look at the pounding he takes all the time. Do you think another QB wants to transfer in and take that same pounding?

I would like to see the numbers for QB transfer success. 5th-year, 2 years left, 1 year, etc, QB is such a critical position learning and leading all other positions on the Offense. How many 1st-year, and 2nd-year QBs explode onto the CFP landscape each year as huge successes? It's just not something I see helping out right away. We have had decent success with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th-year O-Linemen, and D-Lineman....helping out immediately. I would hope we could have more success finding TE, and WRs in the portal...but they seem to be two-year projects as well, not immediate.

I would like to see the numbers for QB transfer success. 5th-year, 2 years left, 1 year, etc, QB is such a critical position learning and leading all other positions on the Offense. How many 1st-year, and 2nd-year QBs explode onto the CFP landscape each year as huge successes? It's just not something I see helping out right away. We have had decent success with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th-year O-Linemen, and D-Lineman....helping out immediately. I would hope we could have more success finding TE, and WRs in the portal...but they seem to be two-year projects as well, not immediate.

Actually, I would too, that’s a terrific question….

Now I think it’s worth saying I think we could be a little more aggressive in the portal I do… But since we appear to operate a team that is all about chemistry and the locker room I don’t think our friends appreciate the difficulty of navigating what is said on the high school recruiting trail versus what happens in the portal… Ultimately, I think it is a whole crap ton more difficult than the semi educated Fan thinks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT