ADVERTISEMENT

Trump doesn’t see a recession says consumers are rich because of his tax cuts.

I gotcha. Yes, they keep more money because they make more money. Some permanently, yes, but then they're buying planes made by people, serviced by people, and flown by people who aren't as rich as them, so they're spreading that stuff around. And if the Dems control again and raise capital gains and rates, then some of those cuts aren't so "permanent". Less money to spread around to the aforementioned less rich folks.
How many jobs are created by building one Rolls Royce Vs. 3000 Fords? 4 pairs of jeans Vs. 10,000? etc........

Can you share your knowledge of "advanced theories" with us? Sounds like you sure know all about it...
I'm smart enough to know that
1. China isn't paying for all of the tariffs he's imposing.
2. The yields on Treasury bonds haven't been stable which resulted in an inverted curve last week.
3. US manufacturing has slowed
4. Auto sales have slowed
5. The stock market has been basically flat for over a year
6. Credit card debt and delinquencies are on the rise
7. The national debt is over $22 trillion which is over 5% of the GDP. It was ~3% when he took office.
8. You will go to any length to defend Trump.

Is that enough?

Or that so many boomers bought campers in the last ten years, the market is absolutely flooded with bargain used buys because they've discovered they're an expensive toy and actually not the retirement fun people thought they'd be.
Drive any interstate in Florida and you'll pass 20 per mile. Towing a small car. Ugh.

Even if your explanation of the cause of the down trend in sales is true, they are still down, right?

I recall higher taxes from my brief stays in the Midwest (WI and Mich), at least higher than I pay now in FL.

State income taxes can be pretty high in some midwest states. I came out ahead by a bunch, I made around $60k more than the previous year however I don't have mortgage and thus no mtg interest deduction, typically got clipped by the Alt Min Tax (which is a load of shite) and I have 3 kids to deduct so everything came out golden for our household.

If I am just looking at myself and my household this new tax code is great!

Trump campaigned EVERYONE would benefit from his tax cuts but he also said Mexico was going to pay for the wall.

One of those is stupid, Mexico will pay for the wall, and the other is probably true in the sense that most people will have seen a decrease in the federal taxes they payed. Note: The taxes you paid and the return you recieved are not the same thing, I know some people can't distinguish the two but it is true.

Last edited:
Even if your explanation of the cause of the down trend in sales is true, they are still down, right?
I never disputed that they were down; however, I don't necessarily agree that this is a harbinger of a down economy. I think there a variety of contributing causes.

I care that everyone in DC lies...do you care about lies being told by the idiots campaigning at the Iowa State Fair??
Nobody lies more than Trump. I have never seen anything like it. Lie after lie after lie. But his lies don't seem to bother you. I find it interesting that you know very little about the Democratic candidates yet you call them all idiots and say they lie. Where is Mayor Pete lying? Bullock? Bennet? Trump is fact checked every day and all he does is make shit up. Why are you okay with that?

Nobody lies more than Trump. I have never seen anything like it. Lie after lie after lie. But his lies don't seem to bother you. I find it interesting that you know very little about the Democratic candidates yet you call them all idiots and say they lie. Where is Mayor Pete lying? Bullock? Bennet? Trump is fact checked every day and all he does is make shit up. Why are you okay with that?
Fact is, we have many cons, falling for the con mans lies. That is not going to change.

I had no idea that Dem Presidents were also world class economists. Damn, you learn something new every day.
I think the whole point is that Trump ran his campaign on being a businessman and an economist and he's going to get the US economy booming with his business knowledge. Then he immediately started to brag about the economy once he was in office.

It's a what comes around goes around kind of thing.

I never disputed that they were down; however, I don't necessarily agree that this is a harbinger of a down economy. I think there a variety of contributing causes.
You might want to sit out for a bit in this thread. Every single argument you spout is getting blown out of the water.

Your excuse making is laughable. Trump is an unmitigated disaster.

You hire the best as a president , not someone thats praising you daily and kissing your ass. You hire them and stay out of the way and let them do the job without injecting your 2 cents. If they aren't doing the job, replace them .
Oh really?

[as QUOTE="millah_22, post: 6776771, member: 5710"]I think the whole point is that Trump ran his campaign on being a businessman and an economist and he's going to get the US economy booming with his business knowledge. Then he immediately started to brag about the economy once he was in office.

It's a what comes around goes around kind of thing.[/QUOTE]
He ran as a businessman, but not as an economist.

Reactions: RTM58
You might want to sit out for a bit in this thread. Every single argument you spout is getting blown out of the water.

Your excuse making is laughable. Trump is an unmitigated disaster.
No, it's not being blown out of the water. The libs are arguing with their same talking points, but that doesn't mean their arguments have complete validity.
It's a run up to the Iowa caucuses. I get what many of you are doing.

Reactions: Speedway1
I care that everyone in DC lies...do you care about lies being told by the idiots campaigning at the Iowa State Fair??

Actual lies.......
If you like your doc you can keep your doc.
Ins will go down $2,500 a year
It's a fee, not a tax.....

Thanks Trump

Last edited:
Since many Americans don't even know basic economics, or what stocks are in their 401K, he would have lots of company, would you agree?

Yeah, but he has a magic wand so he's better off than most.

"The national debt is over $22 trillion which is over 5% of the GDP. It was ~3% when he took office."

Is this the part where I tease that Trump probably doesn't know the debt from the deficit either?

You smart guys may want to look outside the US economy for the answer.

WASHINGTON (AP) — A strong majority, 74%, of U.S. business economists appear sufficiently concerned about the risks of some of President Donald Trump’s economic policies that they expect a recession in the U.S. by the end of 2021.

The economists surveyed by the National Association for Business Economics, in a report released Monday, mostly didn’t share Trump’s optimistic outlook for the economy, though they generally saw recession coming later than they did in a survey taken in February. Thirty-four percent of the economists surveyed said they believe a slowing economy will tip into recession in 2021. That’s up from 25% in the February survey.

An additional 38% of those polled predicted that recession will occur next year, down slightly from 42% in February. Another 2% of those polled expect a recession to begin this year.

In February, 77% of the economists expected a recession either this year, next year or in 2021.

A strong economy is key to the Republican president’s 2020 re-election prospects. Consumer confidence has dropped 6.4% since July.

Trump has dismissed concerns about a recession, offering an optimistic outlook for the economy after last week’s steep drop in the financial markets. He said Sunday, “I don’t think we’re having a recession. We’re doing tremendously well. Our consumers are rich. I gave a tremendous tax cut and they’re loaded up with money.”

https://apnews.com/3d77bbfda266497699554a754c124735

Reactions: cigaretteman
No, it's not being blown out of the water. The libs are arguing with their same talking points, but that doesn't mean their arguments have complete validity.
What arguments are lacking validity?

Last I checked the national deficit is going to be a trillion dollars this year. That is more than when Trump took over. Isn't that something Trump and the Fiscal right claim to be able to fix? That's an honest question but I doubt you will give me an honest answer.

Reactions: cigaretteman
[as QUOTE="millah_22, post: 6776771, member: 5710"]I think the whole point is that Trump ran his campaign on being a businessman and an economist and he's going to get the US economy booming with his business knowledge. Then he immediately started to brag about the economy once he was in office.

It's a what comes around goes around kind of thing.
He ran as a businessman, but not as an economist.[/QUOTE]
Your right... he has said recently that Profit and Loss statements from Walmart are more accurate than any economists. He thinks he’s smarter than them.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Mexico will pay for the wall

giphy.gif

Reactions: Razorhawk2

Why do you keep grouping everyone together and saying “libs” and “dems”. I’m not a fan of any of the democrats running but i don’t disagree with anything anyones said about Trump on here. I don’t like the guy, never did but was excited to see what he could do. Started off ok but now i’m very worrisome. His antics got old quickly(not to mention is a horrible example to our nations children and people) and his one so-called strength, money/finance/economy, is taking a hit and is teetering on the line of potential success and another recession.

I will also point out if there is another recession in the next 2.5 years, it will be the 2nd conservative President in a row to lead us to it. While the Liberal did get us out of the first one, no matter how you look at it.

Its a lose-lose in 2020 again. People need to start seriously looking past the two parties. It’s dividing our country and Our future will be much better off for it.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
A no nothing fraud in the White House, is not better for the country under any circumstances.

Not to mention one's who is entirely corrupt and has no understanding or or respect for the separation of powers, our Constitution and the rule of law.

What arguments are lacking validity?

Last I checked the national deficit is going to be a trillion dollars this year. That is more than when Trump took over. Isn't that something Trump and the Fiscal right claim to be able to fix? That's an honest question but I doubt you will give me an honest answer.
SRAMs, thanks for refreshing my memory on this. The HONEST answer is that neither party has done serious work on reducing the deficit. The last gasps from either side have come from some elements of the Tea Party, and individuals such as Senators Paul and Lee. I think the term " fiscal right" is no more realistic than a "fiscal left" is, to be honest.

Reactions: RTM58
The rich get money for private jets, the rest of us have a few extra dollars to spend at Walmart.

Spend it wisely then.

Yes, he is definitely below-average, and he's in a huge demographic in that regard. Since we've managed to pinpoint that fact, let's also agree he has no business leading a country of any size, let alone the United States of America.

Economists exist to make the Weathermen look good.

It really does now look like President Donald J. Trump, and markets are plunging. When might we expect them to recover?

Frankly, I find it hard to care much, even though this is my specialty. The disaster for America and the world has so many aspects that the economic ramifications are way down my list of things to fear.

Still, I guess people want an answer: If the question is when markets will recover, a first-pass answer is never.

432232.jpg

Many "experts" expected, predicted and warned of instant economic disaster under a Donald Trump presidency. But a funny thing happened on our way to economic oblivion. The economy took off.

Former President Barack Obama presided over the worst economic recovery since 1949. He became the first president to preside over a recovery without at least one year of gross domestic product growth at 3% or better. Last year, under President Trump, the economy hit 3% GDP growth. And despite the predictions of an economic slowdown at the beginning of this year, the economy, according to the advance estimate by the Bureau of Economic Analysis, showed a healthy 3.2% GDP growth the first quarter.

Economist Paul Krugman, with his column in The New York Times and appearances on cable, is one of the nation's most widely read and influential economists. How wrong was Krugman? He predicted Trump would cause a "recession." Just hours after the 2016 presidential election, he called Trump "the mother of all adverse effects." Krugman wrote:

"The disaster for America and the world has so many aspects that the economic ramifications are way down my list of things to fear.

"Still, I guess people want an answer: If the question is when markets will recover, a first-pass answer is never.

uAyvl6.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT