ADVERTISEMENT

Trump may owe 100 million on double dip tax break

The timing if this amazing discovery and accusation is amazing.....
What's amazing is the IRS has apparently let it slide and a NY Times article had to bring it to light.

Everyone complains about a 2 tier justice system, but this is a great example of the wealthy getting a free pass.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
It really doesn't matter how long it takes as long as it gets done. According to Trump he's audited every year, and based on his track record, he should be audited every year. Willful tax fraud is a crime, and he should be prosecuted for it, just like anyone else.
Agree. This is the type of thing though that would have caught the attention of the IRS when it happened especially if he is audited every year.

The timing of this accusation being released now is highly suspect.

True. Presidents are considered responsible for everything, even where they have little personal impact (gas prices, the economy, global conflict, etc.). With Trump, given all his business interests/lawyers/accountants/etc. from his business life, it's amplified. This is a perfect example.

Firstly, it's unlikely he did actually break the law here, but secondly, if he did, what are the odds he knows/understands why or how he broke the law. Whatever doc he signed was likely in a pile of 50 that his lawyer/accountant told him he needed to sign.

I don't have NEAR the number of irons in the fire these public figures do, and if I were accused of tax fraud, I'd call my CPA and say "hey what's the deal with this, can we get it resolved?" I wouldn't have a clue, I don't touch any of it.

I don't imagine the truly rich have much idea either
So you don't think you're responsible for anything you sign your name to? Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

It seems unlikely to me outside tax preparers for large companies who have reputations to maintain wouldn't just be doing their clients a favor and submitting false paperwork just to save them a few bucks. I'm sure there are discussions and approvals by the clients at some point.

I too pay for someone to do my simple taxes, but they tell me if there is an error on their part, they will help me fix it, cover and penalties and late fees, but any taxes I owe are on me.

Trump already tried the "Its the 3rd parties fault" with his financial crimes trial that he lost, and that defense didn't go so well for him there, and I doubt it will here either.

you're right

we probably should bother them with stuff like this

very unfair of us, actually
Sorry, I'll bring the point down a level so you can understand the previous posters point

In Trump's case, every little thing that seems off at first glance invites a full investigation, media circus, and the hopes of many that Trump goes to jail. His wife and kids are defamed, etc. Had he stayed a businessman, any oddities in tax filings like this would simply be corrected if they were actually off. There wouldn't be a thirst for blood every time anything like this comes up.

It's not that he'd be getting away with more than he is now, it's just that it would be fixed and wouldn't be a big deal.

What's amazing is the IRS has apparently let it slide and a NY Times article had to bring it to light.

Everyone complains about a 2 tier justice system, but this is a great example of the wealthy getting a free pass.
Or.....stay with me....the accusation is the point.

You really believe the IRS let it go and Trump defrauded the US. Which is the point of the accusation.

If he did this and owes the money fine. If he defrauded the government fine.

Curious though why they would tie together bogus shit to charge him on nonsense when this is sitting right there for all to see. Would be an easy case with huge criminal liability. So why the bullshit cases when this is sitting there?

Sorry, I'll bring the point down a level so you can understand the previous posters point

In Trump's case, every little thing that seems off at first glance invites a full investigation, media circus, and the hopes of many that Trump goes to jail. His wife and kids are defamed, etc. Had he stayed a businessman, any oddities in tax filings like this would simply be corrected if they were actually off. There wouldn't be a thirst for blood every time anything like this comes up.

It's not that he'd be getting away with more than he is now, it's just that it would be fixed and wouldn't be a big deal.
yeah. thanks...your "rich people have too much going on to be held accountable for anything" comment was just to confusing for me to comprehend

Reactions: Dr. Spaceman

Exactly.

Agree. This is the type of thing though that would have caught the attention of the IRS when it happened especially if he is audited every year.

Right? Why wouldn't they have used this against him during the 2016 election? Maybe they thought Hillary would win for sure? But then why didn't they use it against him in 2020? Was it because they thought the China virus was going to be enough and they decided to keep the powder dry?

If not in 2016 or 2020, why deploy it in May? Why wouldn't they use it closer to the election in the Fall? The timing is certainly suspicious and now I really want to know what they're scheming. What is your gut telling you that they're doing?

So you don't think you're responsible for anything you sign your name to? Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

It seems unlikely to me outside tax preparers for large companies who have reputations to maintain wouldn't just be doing their clients a favor and submitting false paperwork just to save them a few bucks. I'm sure there are discussions and approvals by the clients at some point.

I too pay for someone to do my simple taxes, but they tell me if there is an error on their part, they will help me fix it, cover and penalties and late fees, but any taxes I owe are on me.

Trump already tried the "Its the 3rd parties fault" with his financial crimes trial that he lost, and that defense didn't go so well for him there, and I doubt it will here either.
See my post above. You're not wrong in your sentiment, but you saw one headline and have your mind made up. I pointed this mentality out in a previous post.

For someone worth $7 billion, a $100mm error is like a $3k error for someone making $200k...

That's if there's even an error here.

Again, the comment was "becoming president is the worst thing that happened to Trump." I agree, and here you are to reinforce the reason why.

When a person has multiple tax entities, it would be a little tougher for the IRS to cross match individual deductions unless both tax entities are being audited at the same time.

Or.....stay with me....the accusation is the point.

You really believe the IRS let it go and Trump defrauded the US. Which is the point of the accusation.

If he did this and owes the money fine. If he defrauded the government fine.

Curious though why they would tie together bogus shit to charge him on nonsense when this is sitting right there for all to see. Would be an easy case with huge criminal liability. So why the bullshit cases when this is sitting there?

What does the accusation have to do with it? Blame the messenger? The timing of the message? Does that change the facts? Trump clearly is a con artist, has been found liable for it in court, with other trials still to prove that. Do you seem "fine" with it if it happened. Shouldn't he or anyone else be held liable for this?

If anyone on this board had done something similar and got caught, we'd have been found guilty in court by now.

See my post above. You're not wrong in your sentiment, but you saw one headline and have your mind made up. I pointed this mentality out in a previous post.

For someone worth $7 billion, a $100mm error is like a $3k error for someone making $200k...

Again, the comment was "becoming president is the worst thing that happened to Trump." I agree, and here you are to reinforce the reason why.

Except he's not even worth a billion or even close to that....why do you people keep excusing his criminality?

Why are you trying to minimize it? As I just said, Trump has been found liable in courts for being a cheat. He can't even run a charity because he cheated them. He is appealing his NY fraud case where he owes almost a half a billion. He's been found liable for sexual assault and then slandering the victim. He's in court now for doctoring the books to cover up marital infidelity and he's got cases pending in GA, AZ and in federal court.
I think giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's an honest business man and this was some sort of accounting error went out the window years ago.

Where in this do you see an honest man? So yes, I see an article like this and based on his past I give the story plenty of credibility. But the courts decide what is truth, my problem is this will likely never even get to that point.

Why are you trying to minimize it? As I just said, Trump has been found liable in courts for being a cheat. He can't even run a charity because he cheated them. He is appealing his NY fraud case where he owes almost a half a billion. He's been found liable for sexual assault and then slandering the victim. He's in court now for doctoring the books to cover up marital infidelity and he's got cases pending in GA, AZ and in federal court.
I think giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's an honest business man and this was some sort of accounting error went out the window years ago.

Where in this do you see an honest man? So yes, I see an article like this and based on his past I give the story plenty of credibility. But the courts decide what is truth, my problem is this will likely never even get to that point.
it's very unfair to bring up things that reflect negatively on candidates during a campaign...

It's not false. Cite the personal or business tax forms where this would have been uncovered.
dido-shipping.gif

Reactions: Dr. Spaceman
When a person has multiple tax entities, it would be a little tougher for the IRS to cross match individual deductions unless both tax entities are being audited at the same time.

But, all of a sudden, when those records are released publicly, folks ARE able to match them up.

Weird!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT