ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesdays With Torbee

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
I hate “fans” who boo their own team:

Tuesdays with Torbee​

by:Tory Brecht

Narratives, once they’ve gained traction, are extremely difficult to reverse.

The narrative about Iowa football in 2023 – at least among a large segment, if not a majority of fans – is of a program in decline, headed by a foundering head coach whose loyalty to his under-qualified offensive coordinator son is inexorably destroying a 20-plus year legacy of winning.

This despite the fact Iowa is not losing more games than it wins.

I am not immune to accepting this narrative.

This past Saturday, I was traveling across several time zones when Iowa played a decimated but dangerous Michigan State team. I was only able to follow the course of events in brief text and social media bites in various airports, taxis and a hotel lobby with dysfunctional WiFi.

What I read reinforced the narrative.

Iowa flailed on offense, featured self-defeating play calling, looked disjointed and inept and was saved in the end only by the heroics of one defensive-side player who managed to overcome terrible coaching and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Despite the lamentations of a fanbase thoroughly disgusted by a double-digit victory that wasn’t aesthetically pleasing enough, I decided to fire up the iPad and watch the replay anyway.

It’s funny how watching a game with the foreknowledge of the ultimate outcome changes one’s perspective. What I saw was a gritty, tough team that overcame serious adversity, dug deep and found a way to win.

What I saw was a coaching staff that kept belief alive in the face of injuries, bad field position, untimely turnovers and a raw and inexperienced underclassmen quarterback in his first Big 10 game and found a way to win.

That doesn’t happen with a team lacking leadership in its coaching staff.

With its star transfer quarterback done for the season and continuing hiccups on the offensive side of the ball, I’m not sure Iowa is still destined to win 10 or so games and likely take the Big 10 West Division crown. I am, however, certain this team is not going to go down without a tremendous amount of fight.

Forced into action by Cade McNamara’s unfortunate non-contact injury, Wisconsin transfer Deacon Hill showed poise in a tough situation. He made plenty of mistakes, put the ball into danger too many times and showed why he was second string by a fair margin. But he also showed confidence, a strong arm and belief in his teammates – even the wide receivers who dropped six catchable passes that likely would have made the game less of a nail biter.

And embattled and much-maligned coordinator Brian Ferentz did not go full turtle mode with an untested signal caller under center. In fact, with a fully healthy quarterback, he deployed more of the playbook – adding in rollouts, bootlegs and quarterback sneaks that were off the menu with a hobbled McNamara.

A fully healthy Cade McNamara is clearly Iowa’s best option. But I am not convinced that an able-bodied Hill doesn’t give the Hawkeyes a better chance to win than a hobbled McNamara at around 70 Percent or less.

Yes, the run game still struggled in fits and starts. Yes, the offensive line too often missed blocks. Sure the wideouts dropped too many passes.

But the defense kept Michigan State out of the endzone. Drew Stevens bombed in critical field goals. Cooper DeJean single-handedly stopped the Spartans from scoring on one play and flipped the scoreboard for good with a scintillating punt return for a touchdown.

Can someone explain to me why so many in our fanbase only want to dwell on the former rather than the latter, especially after a victory?

I will never understand or respect any “fan” that boos its own team.

And it happened frequently, at home, in a win. That is flat out embarrassing and a terrible look for what has traditionally been one of the most loyal, patient and supportive fan bases across college football.

If you were one of the boo birds on Saturday, I’d encourage you to take a long look in the mirror and re-evaluate your fandom. As my dad was fond of saying frequently in my childhood: you are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Those Iowa fans denigrating the coaches, the players and the program are a problem. Full stop.

As I wrote last week, one deflating loss should not derail a season. And the players who gave it their all Saturday night in Kinnick looked extreme adversity in the face, rallied and won.

Now it’s time for Iowa fans to be winners, not losers. Just like the team they claim to support.

I hate “fans” who boo their own team:

Tuesdays with Torbee​

by:Tory Brecht

Narratives, once they’ve gained traction, are extremely difficult to reverse.

The narrative about Iowa football in 2023 – at least among a large segment, if not a majority of fans – is of a program in decline, headed by a foundering head coach whose loyalty to his under-qualified offensive coordinator son is inexorably destroying a 20-plus year legacy of winning.

This despite the fact Iowa is not losing more games than it wins.

I am not immune to accepting this narrative.

This past Saturday, I was traveling across several time zones when Iowa played a decimated but dangerous Michigan State team. I was only able to follow the course of events in brief text and social media bites in various airports, taxis and a hotel lobby with dysfunctional WiFi.

What I read reinforced the narrative.

Iowa flailed on offense, featured self-defeating play calling, looked disjointed and inept and was saved in the end only by the heroics of one defensive-side player who managed to overcome terrible coaching and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Despite the lamentations of a fanbase thoroughly disgusted by a double-digit victory that wasn’t aesthetically pleasing enough, I decided to fire up the iPad and watch the replay anyway.

It’s funny how watching a game with the foreknowledge of the ultimate outcome changes one’s perspective. What I saw was a gritty, tough team that overcame serious adversity, dug deep and found a way to win.

What I saw was a coaching staff that kept belief alive in the face of injuries, bad field position, untimely turnovers and a raw and inexperienced underclassmen quarterback in his first Big 10 game and found a way to win.

That doesn’t happen with a team lacking leadership in its coaching staff.

With its star transfer quarterback done for the season and continuing hiccups on the offensive side of the ball, I’m not sure Iowa is still destined to win 10 or so games and likely take the Big 10 West Division crown. I am, however, certain this team is not going to go down without a tremendous amount of fight.

Forced into action by Cade McNamara’s unfortunate non-contact injury, Wisconsin transfer Deacon Hill showed poise in a tough situation. He made plenty of mistakes, put the ball into danger too many times and showed why he was second string by a fair margin. But he also showed confidence, a strong arm and belief in his teammates – even the wide receivers who dropped six catchable passes that likely would have made the game less of a nail biter.

And embattled and much-maligned coordinator Brian Ferentz did not go full turtle mode with an untested signal caller under center. In fact, with a fully healthy quarterback, he deployed more of the playbook – adding in rollouts, bootlegs and quarterback sneaks that were off the menu with a hobbled McNamara.

A fully healthy Cade McNamara is clearly Iowa’s best option. But I am not convinced that an able-bodied Hill doesn’t give the Hawkeyes a better chance to win than a hobbled McNamara at around 70 Percent or less.

Yes, the run game still struggled in fits and starts. Yes, the offensive line too often missed blocks. Sure the wideouts dropped too many passes.

But the defense kept Michigan State out of the endzone. Drew Stevens bombed in critical field goals. Cooper DeJean single-handedly stopped the Spartans from scoring on one play and flipped the scoreboard for good with a scintillating punt return for a touchdown.

Can someone explain to me why so many in our fanbase only want to dwell on the former rather than the latter, especially after a victory?

I will never understand or respect any “fan” that boos its own team.

And it happened frequently, at home, in a win. That is flat out embarrassing and a terrible look for what has traditionally been one of the most loyal, patient and supportive fan bases across college football.

If you were one of the boo birds on Saturday, I’d encourage you to take a long look in the mirror and re-evaluate your fandom. As my dad was fond of saying frequently in my childhood: you are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Those Iowa fans denigrating the coaches, the players and the program are a problem. Full stop.

As I wrote last week, one deflating loss should not derail a season. And the players who gave it their all Saturday night in Kinnick looked extreme adversity in the face, rallied and won.

Now it’s time for Iowa fans to be winners, not losers. Just like the team they claim to support.
Particularly agree with this TwT! I chirped at a few adults booing the team Saturday (probably shouldn't have, but booing is extremely frustrating and counterproductive, and Swarm beer). In these tight games the support can absolutely influence outcomes, so it's time to embrace the Hawks' Wugly (winning ugly) mentality.

The true and genuine Iowa Hawkeye football fan sees the
glass half full and not half empty. In the face of adversity,
Deacon Hill is now our quarterback and deserves our whole
hearted support. The Hawkeyes still have a chance for a
decent post season Bowl game and a winning record. GO Hawks.
Amen Lute.

Reactions: hawkdave007
I’ve grown tired of winning ugly.

I want to win comfortably and feel like we controlled the other team.

Winning in spite of a workable offense gets really fûckibg old.
Just don’t understand this mindset, no offense.

I’m with Herm on this subject.

Play To Win New York Jets GIF

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
torbee, I think you answer your own question about the boos. Your fanbase is patient and loyal. When patient and loyal people know there has to be a better option at OC, they get frustrated. The loyal fans aren't booing the team, they are booing coaching decisions. I have no doubt the fans fully support the players.

As far as being happy with just winning, that ignores the standards and expectations. When you were in school, were your parents satisfied if you made C's, or did they expect A's? Winning ugly against a clearly inferior opponent should be more rare than common. Is the goal to win 10 games, or is the goal to win a BIG championship and possible CFP berth?

Be proud of your team because they are successful. Always strive for more though. Don't be happy to settle.

Reactions: VodkaSam
We will see how many wins Kirk can tally up with his offense when he doesnt have the B1G west schedule to hide behind in order to dodge the heavy hitters in the conference when the west coast teams come into the mix.

Enjoy the ugly winning against a poor schedule. Things may not be as rosy in the future if the status quo is maintained

We will see how many wins Kirk can tally up with his offense when he doesnt have the B1G west schedule to hide behind in order to dodge the heavy hitters in the conference when the west coast teams come into the mix.

Enjoy the ugly winning against a poor schedule. Things may not be as rosy in the future if the status quo is maintained
This, giving a team such as USC, UCLA, Oregon, etc etc chance after chance to beat u. Isn't going to give u a winning record.

Reactions: HawkBall23
I think there's two things that provide additional context.

If the exact same game and outcome occurred against PSU the reaction would be different, instead it was against a MSU team that just lost its coach, and had been outscored 72-16 in its previous two games. Not a good team on paper. The quality of opponent matters when evaluating the success.

In terms of the booing, what were the fans really booing? Obviously it's a collection of thousands of people, but my guess is people were intending their boos to be aimed squarely at Brian Ferentz. A worthy target. Not at the individual players, not at "the program". I'm ok with that still being a bad look, but it's not just boo happy fans reacting negatively to poor play.

Similar to the booing the injured players against PSU a couple of years ago. Understandably that was a very bad look for the fan base. But it wasn't just mean spirited fans booing injured players, it's that they thought they were booing players faking injuries.

great piece of writing torbee. the booing chapped my ass enough that i went into a game thread which i typically avoid. booing during a close game like that is a terrible look. the offense was struggling big time but it’s easy to forget the other team is full of d1 players who are fighting hard too.

if you don’t like brian and want to show him disapproval then write an email to the ad or a letter to the editor. don’t take it out on the players who are fighting their butts off for the w

if you don’t like brian and want to show him disapproval then write an email to the ad or a letter to the editor. don’t take it out on the players who are fighting their butts off for the w

I would say a better way to show your disapproval is by not purchasing tickets. After last season, people still chose to buy tickets knowing that there would be nothing changing with the offense. I dont even know if a 3/4 full kinnick would be enough to move the needle.

While i dont have a problem with highly paid coaches being booed by people who spend money to watch it (and we cant forget about players being paid now as well), i would say it is far too late once you are at the booing stage of the season.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Well, they are professional athletes now. They are paid to play, at least some of them are. So booing is absolutely fair.

The booing at the game was directed at the coaching staff. The Fire Brian chants are self explanatory.

The fans are booing the fact that the offense is being forced to run the scheme & system that has been the national joke of the CFB scene for 2+ years now. That and the position coaches who are either not doing their jobs, or are impossibly bad at them [OL coach being the prime example].

People know this, even if they don't want to acknowledge it. They know its directed mostly solely at the coaches - the ones making the play calling and who plays when/where decisions - and not the players.

Well, they are professional athletes now. They are paid to play, at least some of them are. So booing is absolutely fair.

The booing at the game was directed at the coaching staff. The Fire Brian chants are self explanatory.
The fans are booing the fact that the offense is being forced to run the scheme & system that has been the national joke of the CFB scene for 2+ years now. That and the position coaches who are either not doing their jobs, or are impossibly bad at them [OL coach being the prime example].

People know this, even if they don't want to acknowledge it. They know its directed mostly solely at the coaches - the ones making the play calling and who plays when/where decisions - and not the players.

But seriously, what does it accomplish? At best it's neutral and it doesn't have any effect on Iowa's performance. At worst, it negatively affects 18-22 year olds trying to do their best, along with negative impacts on recruiting. And do you really think the Athletic Department needs to hear boos to understand the offense needs to do better? Same with BF?

It's amateur-hour juvenile bs to boo your team/program (except only in some extreme case where they truly just don't try out there, which isn't happening).

On the flipside, if fans would turn their emotions into positive support for the team, maybe you get improved outcomes? (see Trea Turner this summer https://nypost.com/2023/08/31/phillies-trea-turner-on-hot-streak-since-fans-standing-ovation/ )

But seriously, what does it accomplish? At best it's neutral and it doesn't have any affect on Iowa's performance. At worst, it negatively affects 18-22 year olds trying to do their best, along with negative impacts on recruiting. And do you really think the Athletic Department needs to hear boos to understand the offense needs to do better? Same with BF?

It's amateur-hour juvenile bs to boo your team/program (except only in some extreme case where they truly just don't try out there, which isn't happening).

On the flipside, if fans would turn their emotions into positive support for the team, maybe you get improved outcomes? (see Trea Turner this summer https://nypost.com/2023/08/31/phillies-trea-turner-on-hot-streak-since-fans-standing-ovation/ )

You are right. I gave up donating to them and buying season tickets and go to about half the games now. Booing is pointless. Stop giving them money. Give your money to the academic side where it does something. They are 18-22 year olds looking to get paid with rich NIL deals, not poor college kids.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
You are right. I gave up donating to them and buying season tickets and go to about half the games now. Booing is pointless. Stop giving them money. Give your money to the academic side where it does something. They are 18-22 year olds looking to get paid with rich NIL deals, not poor college kids.
There you go, that is actually the mature way to handle your displeasure (as Obama said, "don't boo, vote!" And you're voting with your dollars/time). I take a different approach, but understand your actions.

What has also gotten really old is adult men screaming F You Brian and flipping him off from across the field. Over and over this guy probably 50 screamed that and he and his buddies were flipping off the sideline with both hands. Some guy finally asked him why he didn't go sit elsewhere and his response was "F you, I paid for these seats, I'll sit where I f'ing want."

I would say a better way to show your disapproval is by not purchasing tickets. After last season, people still chose to buy tickets knowing that there would be nothing changing with the offense. I dont even know if a 3/4 full kinnick would be enough to move the needle.

While i dont have a problem with highly paid coaches being booed by people who spend money to watch it (and we cant forget about players being paid now as well), i would say it is far too late once you are at the booing stage of the season.

I was amazed at how full the stadium was. I actually arrived earlier than my normal time (which is usually about mid way through the 1st quarter) and actually made kickoff. Stadium was filled to the brim. Iowans love to pay to be kicked in the nuts.

What has also gotten really old is adult men screaming F You Brian and flipping him off from across the field. Over and over this guy probably 50 screamed that and he and his buddies were flipping off the sideline with both hands. Some guy finally asked him why he didn't go sit elsewhere and his response was "F you, I paid for these seats, I'll sit where I f'ing want."

When you quit drinking pretty much, the behavior of people at the night games isnt all that cute. Several people around me had no idea what was going on in the game.

Now that I am reformed, I am all for 11 AM games always lol.

This is a sports forum on a UofI message board. People support the school, and sports. You find really odd things to bitch and moan about.

I just asked a question. I didn't boo. I think its funny people get that mad about it.

When you quit drinking pretty much, the behavior of people at the night games isnt all that cute. Several people around me had no idea what was going on in the game.

Now that I am reformed, I am all for 11 AM games always lol.

I'm surprised you still attend games or even follow the team, I thought you first called it quits back when Nebraska was admitted to the Big Ten and then another dozen times since for one pretentious reason or another.

Booing your own team and coaches is stupid. As others have said, if you want to send a message, don’t go to games. Blows my mind that all these “pissed off” Iowa fans have sold Kinnick out.

Man, nice work. You're really stickin it to the athletic department. Way to go!

No, but why support the direction they are going in?

Why should I support an AD that has eliminated mens swimming after building them a palace and then wont set up a mens soccer team and then the brutal nepotism.

Sticking it to them? No. But not going to be like the suckers that do give them money.

No, but why support the direction they are going in?

Why should I support an AD that has eliminated mens swimming after building them a palace and then wont set up a mens soccer team and then the brutal nepotism.

Sticking it to them? No. But not going to be like the suckers that do give them money.
Yet you still go to games, you just avoid the ones against shitty teams lol

Yet you still go to games, you just avoid the ones against shitty teams lol

No I dont. I go to ones to see certain people from the old days.

You can keep slopping it up...by all means. I dont care. Light yourself on fire...I dont care.

Either way...I dont care what you think or do.

• Haha
Reactions: EasyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT