ADVERTISEMENT

Two Americans kidnapped in Mexico are dead, officials say

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
— Two of the four Americans who were kidnapped in a Mexican border city last week are dead, Mexican officials said Tuesday morning.
“Approximately one hour ago we confirmed that the four Americans were located,” Tamaulipas state governor Americo Villarreal said in a phone call during President Andrés Manuel López Obrador’s daily news conference. “Thirty-five minutes ago we got confirmation from the prosecutor’s office that of the four people, two were found dead, one wounded and one alive. Ambulances are rushing to the area to recover them and offer them medical care.”

Are you on Telegram? Subscribe to our channel for the latest updates on Russia’s war in Ukraine.

A Mexican official said the Americans were found in the village of Tecolote, about 15 miles from the border city of Matamoros, the site of the kidnapping Friday.

Officials did not immediately name the victims. The Americans have been identified by family members as three friends who were accompanying a fourth who planned to undergo a medical procedure there.

Latavia “Tay” McGee, her cousin Shaeed Woodard and friends Zindell Brown and Eric James Williams, traveling in a minivan with North Carolina plates, had reportedly just crossed over the border from Brownsville, Tex., to Matamoros when they were fired on and abducted by unidentified assailants.
The FBI has offered a $50,000 reward for their return and the arrest of those responsible.
Video appears to show violent kidnapping of four Americans in Mexico
“This is like a bad dream you wish you could wake up from,” Zalandria Brown told the Associated Press before the deaths were announced. She identified one of the kidnap victims as her younger brother Zindell Brown of Myrtle Beach, S.C.

One member of the group intended to undergo the cosmetic medical procedure known as a tummy tuck, Zalandria Brown said.

Video and photographs from the scene verified by The Washington Post show armed men wearing protective vests forcing a woman into the back of a white pickup and dragging three other people to the truck trailing what appears to be blood on the ground. A fifth person can be seen lying on the sidewalk, apparently injured. The U.S. ambassador to Mexico in a statement said “an innocent Mexican citizen” was killed in the confrontation.

Christina Hickson, the mother of 28-year-old Zindell Brown, told ABC affiliate WPDE in Myrtle Beach that she identified her son from footage of the kidnapping shared online.

“I was able to follow each one as they would be placed on the truck,” she said. “I knew immediately that was him.”
Zalandria Brown said “to see a member of your family thrown in the back of a truck and dragged, it is just unbelievable.”

Latavia McGee was traveling to Mexico from South Carolina for a medical procedure, her mother Barbara Burgess, 54, told ABC News. She was traveling with her cousin Woodard, along with friends Zindell Brown and Williams.
Burgess said she had not spoken to her daughter since Friday, when McGee called and said she was 15 minutes away from the doctor’s office.
“Her phone just started going to voice mail,” Burgess said.

López Obrador did not mention a medical procedure when he spoke of the kidnapping Monday.
“The information we have is that they crossed the border to buy medicines in Mexico,” the president told reporters. “There was a confrontation between groups and they were detained.”
What we know about Matamoros and the kidnapped Americans
The Americans came under fire shortly after they crossed the border, the FBI said in a statement Sunday. The Americans were traveling in a white minivan with North Carolina plates.
Officials do not believe the victims were targeted before the encounter. There was no evidence they were linked to organized crime in Mexico, U.S. officials said; none of the four have criminal records.
Matamoros, home to 580,000 people, is the second-largest city in the northeastern state of Tamaulipas, across from Texas’s southern tip. Tamaulipas is one of six Mexican states to which the State Department advises Americans against traveling, citing the risk of crime and kidnapping.

• Sad
Reactions: Joes Place
Article said one of the Americans was in Mexico to get a tummy tuck.

Medical tourism is a little risky, and not just post operative infection.
They were also buying medicine, which depending on what you’re buying could mean they were waving around a lot of cash.

Reactions: cigaretteman

That is a fact. I know a lady that had bariatric surgery at an all-inclusive deal in Mexico and she damn near died there. It took a half dozen surgeries at the Mayo Clinic to try to fix what the surgeon in Mexico screwed up, and even then her stomach is f'ed up for life.

Thankfully, the other two were found alive--one with a gunshot wound to his leg. The group traveled from South Carolina for a medical procedure. The Mexican officials say its a case of mistaken identity. However, it sounds like an old school setup. Maybe found a "doctor" on the internet that would do the operation for cash. Have them come down and then rob them of the cash.

Is it time to run special ops to remove these cartels?

the-equalizer-fsk-18-fassung-hohe-fsk-einstufung-durch-bonusmaterial-blu-ray-cover.jpg

Reactions: McLovin32
Cosmetic is stupid AF anyway so they played Russian roulette on their own. But the prescription stuff is legitimately a yuuuuuuge issue.
Do we know what sort of “prescription” stuff they were seeking? It seems to me that by the time they paid for gas they would have spent a lot of money.
And a single payer system would not have paid for a tummy tuck in any event.
I feel bad for them and their families but surgery in Mexico is so risky.
Lots of horror stories out there.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
Like most every country on earth including the US, Mexico has its places that are quite dangerous. There are also a ton of great places in Mexico that I love to visit and could easily live in without any fear. I can't imagine going through life being scared of so many places that they know basically nothing about and will never get to experience. I guess we see it on here all the time with people scared of Chicago, San Fran, and seemingly every city bigger then Amana.

Do we know what sort of “prescription” stuff they were seeking? It seems to me that by the time they paid for gas they would have spent a lot of money.
And a single payer system would not have paid for a tummy tuck in any event.
I feel bad for them and their families but surgery in Mexico is so risky.
Lots of horror stories out there.
I’m not talking about this case in particular.

• Haha
Reactions: Roodolf and goldmom
Like most every country on earth including the US, Mexico has its places that are quite dangerous. There are also a ton of great places in Mexico that I love to visit and could easily live in without any fear. I can't imagine going through life being scared of so many places that they know basically nothing about and will never get to experience. I guess we see it on here all the time with people scared of Chicago, San Fran, and seemingly every city bigger then Amana.
I hear you. I’ve been to Acapulco, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta and to Cancun four times. PV was my favorite by far.

Reactions: darylhawk
Amana has it's rough spots as well, you wouldn't catch me in the knitting district after sundown.

I used to have a neighbor who was an actual medical doctor in Guatemala. Not shocking but his medical license didn't exactly carry over here. He did tech support for IBM. Good dude. Liked hanging out with him at neighborhood bonfires and other gatherings.

• Haha
Reactions: Roodolf
I don’t know what kind of meds they were looking for but I know that Ozempic/Wegovy that can be used for type 2 diabetes and weight loss are about $1500 per month in the US and can be ordered from Canada for $350 or so. Mexico is about $200 or so. It’s insane how much more we pay for meds
When my wife's no pic, grandparents were alive they would winter in Texas. Once a year they would go to Mexico and buy omerapazole or whatever its called. They would buy enough for everybody in the family that took it for literally a few cents on the dollar compared to prices here. And I mean like 90 plus percent cheaper.

Reactions: 3boysmom
I’ve been all for going to war with the cartel since they are a WAYYYY bigger threat to us than any other group in the world. I just don’t understand why we just don’t do a joint operation with mexico and Central America on taking these goons out.

Just Imagine if we spent half the money we spent in the Middle East on taking out the cartels and economically helping our neighbor to the south?

Reactions: Dbq_Hawk
This is what Blackwater should be used for. We need some soldier of fortunes with a Blackhawk to head down there and make a few compounds glow in the dark.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT