ADVERTISEMENT

Two food items that might help you guys.

Noted.

images

That maybe so but it has to be red wine and even so the content therein is modest due to low bioavailability. I would suggest a resveratrol supplement, none of which are usually made from red grapes.
I do have a box of red grapes in my refrigerator. Unlike what happened last week with toilet paper this time i’m ahead of the hoarders.

Reactions: GOHOX69
@GOHOX69
do your original recommendations on red grapes and licorice still hold after whatever scientists have learned about the virus?

I also take elderberry supplements and selenium in addition to the zinc, vitamin d, vitamin c, resveratrol (in the form of Japanese Knotweed), and a multivitamin.

Nope.

MERs-Cov

The same virus resdemivir was designed to stop, that you just posted didn't work on the new Covid19.

Ergo, we really have no idea if it has any benefit, at all.
I know you like to throw shade on me in every science thread and I'll defer to you if you let me or others know what your scientific qualifications are. Honestly, I'd take you more seriously if this were the case. Otherwise, you just appear to be needy and an attention seeker. You seem bright so I have no idea why you act so desperately. That being said your conclusions are incorrect. Resveratrol and their derivatives are being actively considered to model drugs against Sars-Cov-2 and since there aren't effective medications against this virus, unless you work at Gilead, there's nothing wrong with people trying preventive supplements to keep themselves healthy. Medicine is often a mix between allopathic data and holistic common sense. Tomorrow, I have to screen clones that express Ace-2 receptors for covid 19 studies using stem cells. I have no idea what you'll be doing except following me from thread to thread trying to show your superior intelligence. I'd happily post my peer reviewed publications if you want to post yours. But remember science is collaborative not confrontational. Thanks!

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32744711/

Last edited:
I know you like to throw shade on me in every science thread and I'll defer to you if you let me or others know what your scientific qualifications are. Honestly, I'd take you more seriously if this were the case. Otherwise, you just appear to be needy and an attention seeker. You seem bright so I have no idea why you act so desperately. That being said your conclusions are incorrect. Resveratrol and their derivatives are being actively considered to model drugs against Sars-Cov-2 and since there aren't effective medications against this virus, unless you work at Gilead, there's nothing wrong with people trying preventive supplements to keep themselves healthy. Medicine is often a mix between allopathic data and holistic common sense. Tomorrow, I have to screen clones that express Ace-2 receptors for covid 19 studies using stem cells. I have no idea what you'll be doing except following me from thread to thread trying to show your superior intelligence. I'd happily post my peer reviewed publications if you want to post yours. But remember science is collaborative not confrontational. Thanks!

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32744711/

All I am pointing out, is that your thread implied it worked against Covid 19. The link you provided was for its effect on MERS-Cov, based on data 3 years ago.

Remdesivir was designed for that disease as well, and you had just posted a claim that remdesivir didn't work for Covid.

Get it?

Last edited:
All I am pointing out, is that your threat implied it worked against Covid 19. The link you provided was for its effect on MERS-Cov, based on data 3 years ago.

Remdesivir was designed for that disease as well, and you had just posted a claim that remdesivir didn't work for Covid.

Get it?
I don't make threats. Remdesivir was designed originally for Hepatitis C. It was a dud there also. It was never intended to treat any type of coronavirus and has been repurposed many times in the hope that it would work against some RNA virus. It failed with Ebola and Marburg as well.

I don't make threats. Remdesivir was designed originally for Hepatitis C. It was a dud there also. It was never intended to treat any type of coronavirus and has been repurposed many times in the hope that it would work against some RNA virus. It failed with Ebola and Marburg as well.

*thread

Joe, here's the JAMA editorial for you (parsed)
FYI, GILD is now trading at 66 from a high of 78 when the Remdesivir news came out in May.

I'll post the relevant section. You can spin it how you see fit. I think, as more data is gained, you'll realize Remdesivir is a dud.

GILD's pipeline is weak since there are effective HIV-1 anti-retrovirals and they are trying to bleed this turnip dry. Good for them. I own this turd of a stock and would love to offload it on a bump.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gilead-says-fda-could-broaden-095750519.html

Brainard said the clinical importance of the benefit for those patients was uncertain, due to continued questions about how best to measure patient outcomes other than survival.

Differing trial results for remdesivir raise “the question of whether the discrepancies are artifacts of study design choices, including patient populations, or whether the drug is less efficacious than hoped,” according to a JAMA editorial accompanying the study.

The study in moderately ill COVID-19 patients demonstrated that 11 days after starting treatment, 65% of the 10-day remdesivir patients, 70% of the 5-day patients and 60% of the standard care patients had left the hospital.

Side effects seen more frequently in the remdesivir groups included nausea, low blood potassium levels, and headache.

The JAMA editorial said important questions remain regarding the efficacy of remdesivir, including which patients are most likely to benefit from the drug, the optimal duration of therapy, the drug’s impact on clinical outcomes, and its relative effect if combined with generic steroid treatments.

Please please don’t let Trump mention either wine or licorice in a press conference. It would only be a matter of hours later that bogus medical reports would come out about how dangerous both are.

Trump could come out and say hospitals are a wonderful place to go to when sick, and the liberal main stream press would a day later, produce story after story about how dangerous hospitals are because they’re full of sick people.

The JAMA editorial said important questions remain regarding the efficacy of remdesivir, including which patients are most likely to benefit from the drug, the optimal duration of therapy, the drug’s impact on clinical outcomes, and its relative effect if combined with generic steroid treatments.

Sure sounds like they're seeing some effect, just attempting to sort out where it works best.

Again, I never touted it as a "game changer"; I had HOPED it would be one, but it was literally one of the few in the pipeline ready to test.

Both remdesivir and dexamethasone HAVE shown positive effects in randomized trials. That's it. That's the list. Other than that, we have guesses, and HCQ, which has failed completely in 5 randomized trials.

Maybe HCQ combined with something (zinc?) will show an effect, but if there is still an ongoing trial for that, there has been no early data showing it.

Recall that the dexamethasone trial was completed early, because the effect was so pronounced that the investigators determined it was unethical to NOT provide that in the control/placebo group. We're months in testing HCQ in various ways, and there has been no comparable result.

Remdesivir may be a dud. Then we're literally down to one proven drug.
Resveratrol isn't going to be "it" unless there is a similar trial showing it works, because a molecular model implied many other drugs "might" be effective, but when they are tested, they don't work. Because something else prevents them from getting to where they need to be to work.

Covid screams through people and unchecked can infect all along the endothelial tissues in vessels and organs, and if resdemivir or resveratrol cannot likewise inflitrate all of those cells and organs, then it will not "check" the virus in those places.

Right now, it looks like our best bet is minimizing "viral inoculum" with distancing and masks. Because there is quite a bit of evidence that lower viral loads are less deadly and make people less sick. The best "drug" for this stuff, might just be social mitigations until we have vaccines.

Nothing. You've derailed every thread I post in.

That really seems like you're derailing the thread, yourself.

The logic behind "resveratrol" or "licorice" helping with Covid is no different that HCQ. And HCQ has not demonstrated any effect. So, "theoretically" on a molecular modeling level, they "could" work. But there is literally no evidence either do anything.

Lots of things hypothetically "could" work. We're finding that most of them don't.

Sure sounds like they're seeing some effect, just attempting to sort out where it works best.

Again, I never touted it as a "game changer"; I had HOPED it would be one, but it was literally one of the few in the pipeline ready to test.

Both remdesivir and dexamethasone HAVE shown positive effects in randomized trials. That's it. That's the list. Other than that, we have guesses, and HCQ, which has failed completely in 5 randomized trials.

Maybe HCQ combined with something (zinc?) will show an effect, but if there is still an ongoing trial for that, there has been no early data showing it.

Recall that the dexamethasone trial was completed early, because the effect was so pronounced that the investigators determined it was unethical to NOT provide that in the control/placebo group. We're months in testing HCQ in various ways, and there has been no comparable result.

Remdesivir may be a dud. Then we're literally down to one proven drug.
Resveratrol isn't going to be "it" unless there is a similar trial showing it works, because a molecular model implied many other drugs "might" be effective, but when they are tested, they don't work. Because something else prevents them from getting to where they need to be to work.

Covid screams through people and unchecked can infect all along the endothelial tissues in vessels and organs, and if resdemivir or resveratrol cannot likewise inflitrate all of those cells and organs, then it will not "check" the virus in those places.

Right now, it looks like our best bet is minimizing "viral inoculum" with distancing and masks. Because there is quite a bit of evidence that lower viral loads are less deadly and make people less sick. The best "drug" for this stuff, might just be social mitigations until we have vaccines.
Joe, what part of the virus are you working on? Obviously you have some knowledge? Are you a Biochemist? Epidemiologist? Virologist? Immunologist? Let us know because it will only add to your credibility.
That really seems like you're derailing the thread, yourself.

The logic behind "resveratrol" or "licorice" helping with Covid is no different that HCQ. And HCQ has not demonstrated any effect. So, "theoretically" on a molecular modeling level, they "could" work. But there is literally no evidence either do anything.

Lots of things hypothetically "could" work. We're finding that most of them don't.
Joe, I have posted sources for my positions. You on the other hand just make ad hominem conclusions that fit your narrative. Ultimately, people on here are intelligent adults and will decide whether they believe what I have to say or what you have to say. No big deal either way.

Joe, I have posted sources for my positions.

No; you've posted sources, then misrepresented the positions they take, or overstate what they actually say.

That's literally all I've responded to.

If resdemivir ends up being a dud, then it's a dud. The first randomized trial indicated otherwise, that it provided some benefit. That's simply a fact, and it was the knowledge at the time

It is also a fact that zero randomized trials have shown any benefit with any regimen of HCQ, to date. Maybe that will change. But as of this post, it hasn't.

Dexamethasone clearly provides benefit. But not as an antiviral, as I understand it. Nothing, to date, has demonstrated any antiviral benefit outside of the one resdemivir study. Despite many different things suggested by pharmacology and molecular modeling.

I'd still like to see more work using the bradykinin inhibitors (one current trial I'd identified was going this route).

If resdemivir doesn't work, then the EIDD-2801 may also be a wash, which means vaccines are our only realistic hope to prevent thousands more deaths. Unless people will start masking up and lowering their viral load/exposures. Again, that may be the best bet right now. And hardly anyone is talking about it. Masks are only being touted to "limit spread", but they may well prevent you from getting a lot sicker.

Joe, what part of the virus are you working on? Obviously you have some knowledge? Are you a Biochemist? Epidemiologist? Virologist? Immunologist? Let us know because it will only add to your credibility.

Joe, I have posted sources for my positions. You on the other hand just make ad hominem conclusions that fit your narrative. Ultimately, people on here are intelligent adults and will decide whether they believe what I have to say or what you have to say. No big deal either way.
You forgot pompous, self-absorbed ass who likes to read stuff on the Internet and argue with people.

Please please don’t let Trump mention either wine or licorice in a press conference. It would only be a matter of hours later that bogus medical reports would come out about how dangerous both are.

Trump could come out and say hospitals are a wonderful place to go to when sick, and the liberal main stream press would a day later, produce story after story about how dangerous hospitals are because they’re full of sick people.

They are actually quite dangerous due to 80-90,000 plus people acquire HAI’s and die every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT