ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Barnes, trying to dunk on Purdue?

Our QBs had 6 total TD passes this year. Horrible tweet lol

I think the majority of Iowa fans still want to run the ball and control TOP. We also would like a competent scheme where we utilize our athletes and playmakers.
This, if you finish 2nd to last you shut your pie hole. Dumb Twitter message by Tyler who usually doesn't make dumb posts.

CM for sure it's not the dumbest thing to come out of a fan's mouth, but it is likely the stupidest thing I've ever seen tweeted by an Iowa coach. Tone deaf. Of course there is more than 1 way to win. But tweeting about it when the program's own inept offense is the reason Iowa isn't in the BT title game instead of Purdue is dumb. Anyone associated with the Iowa offense should just be silent right now, focused on improvement. Perceptions will change with production on the field, not tweets. He got Keagan Johnson's Dad to reply (since deleted). Not a great look. At all. If Barnes were not the head coach's son in law, he would likely be shown the door for this level of dumb.

Meh, maybe but seriously coaches, high profile coaches have said plenty of dumb shit out loud, on twitter etc and not been shown the door…not sure I agree with that.

He also appears to have improved our recruiting, right?! Or somebody did, we sign higher classes!

My umbrage is with dumb asses that want the entire Ferentz family shown the door.

Honestly its to dumb to even respond to and I shouldn’t have. I see @grayhair81 has quoted me but I’m just going to skip over his tired tripe today!

• Love
Reactions: natchrlman
2022 7-5
2021 10-4
2020 6-2
2019 10-3
2018 9-4
2017 8-5

50-23 in the last 6 seasons with Brian Ferentz as OC
.685 winning percentage
that equates to 8.9 wins per season

you have to have an extremely low IQ to want the "Ferentz Regime" removed... just because we had a down year.

Barnes tweet is evidence that balanced offenses are just as successive, if not more successful, than offenses that are pass happy

and I agree with Barnes.. he's right
7-7 in the last 14 games with Brian as the OC. The offense is dreadful.

Reactions: your_master5
The way I read Barnes' tweet is that Iowa and maybe other teams dont have to go all pass happy with 5 wideouts to win a championship. Mich was balanced and they ran the ball a lot. But yeah he should not have tweeted this because mich's passing game was is way more productive than Iowa's. Last week in the big game against OSU Mich hit a couple of bombs which we only had one or two of all year.
Totally Agree. We lost by 13 to Michigan, they lost by 21 to Muchigan. We lost when they had Corum, he was out against PU. If our line and Petras had been better who knows.

Look at Georgia yesterday. Their QB did not put up huge passing yards but had four passing TD's. They had a balanced attack and solid defense although LSU passed for over 500 yards. Georgia still won by 20 pounts.

He’s trying to justify our offense. As in its our plan to have one a shitty offense and the offense actually does something to add to the win total
There is nothing wrong with our concepts on offense. You do need guys to execute to make things go. You also need that if you go full out spread.

Reactions: AlvySinger
And who cares???? We don’t see or hear 99% of the stuff these guys do and say in recruiting process. Pull your undies back out of your cracks and get ready for the bowl and next season. We got ourself an out of the box leader for our offense next fall.

And this is why the Ferentz regime needs to hit the road. Charlie Jones had 13 catches for 160+ against one of the best defenses in the country. Charlie is a marginal NFL talent at best. Purdue's offensive schemes are light years ahead of Iowa's. Purdue hung tough with Michigan until the 4th quarter. Iowa was destroyed in the 1st quarter of the game last year.
DIL needs to take little Tyler's I Phone away.
Totally cringe worthy.
They throw it to Chuck Sizzle 20

More nepotism that Mary got Kirk to do to keep te family close by. Does Barnes report to Barta also?
They think they can do anything with the U of I Football program because "Daddy or Daddy in Law" is untouchable. Kirk may be, but the kids aren't.
Let them go into the real world and prove their worth rather than protected behind Daddy's skirt.
How many millions a year does one family need to live in the country outside of Iowa City?

And this is why the Ferentz regime needs to hit the road. Charlie Jones had 13 catches for 160+ against one of the best defenses in the country. Charlie is a marginal NFL talent at best. Purdue's offensive schemes are light years ahead of Iowa's. Purdue hung tough with Michigan until the 4th quarter. Iowa was destroyed in the 1st quarter of the game last year.
DIL needs to take little Tyler's I Phone away.
Totally cringe worthy.
Yet it was damn near or should have been 20 - 14 in the 4th quarter in Kinnick except for the stupid throw to LaPorta. I would say of all the teams Iowa played Michigan the toughest of any opponent they had. And I make no illusions that Iowa would have won a rematch. We would not have. Michigan just kept getting better. OL is like an NFL line.

If you're woke over this, you're probably part of the problem. He's not wrong. The Georgia's and Bama's of the world typically have a balanced attack. The difference is their ypp is double that of Iowa's.

So lets figure something out? We have or haven’t had success? I’m unsure now?!

King of strawman arguments. I even said Iowa has been successful in the post you quoted. There's probably been less than 5 teams in the country that may have had a higher level of defense than Iowa over the last 5-7 years. The defense has been incredible. More than any fan could reasonably expect.

Over the same time, the offense has never been better than average, and more often than not it has been bad. This year it was historically bad.

Can you please enlighten me as to why fans should not be frustrated with the offense?

Perhaps if we lived in a fantasy world where we made a deal with the devil that we could have a consistently elite defense at the expense of having a terrible offense, I'd be more accepting of the head coach hiring his son to produce the 130th ranked offense. But given that we do not live in such a fantasy land, I am very confused as to why we should be content with an offensive staff that has produced bad results over an extended period of time.

Reactions: SCKCtb93
We wouldn't have been in this game at all without Charlie playing so well. We aren't going to line up in Power I and outmuscle an All B1G line. So we have to spread it out and hope we can break a few. Unfortunately we didn't and we don't have the horses to go to toe with Michigan without landing a couple haymakers. But we hung in there thanks to Charlie
I tyhought Purdue played a pretty good game against a very good team. CJ will play in NFL IMO.

Ironic a bunch of message boards geniuses with their collective panties in a bunch over a tweet by our recruiting coordinator throwing shade at a program who has been actively poaching our players ….. ohhhh the humanity
shocked benedict cumberbatch GIF by BBC

More nepotism that Mary got Kirk to do to keep te family close by. Does Barnes report to Barta also?
They think they can do anything with the U of I Football program because "Daddy or Daddy in Law" is untouchable. Kirk may be, but the kids aren't.
Let them go into the real world and prove their worth rather than protected behind Daddy's skirt.
How many millions a year does one family need to live in the country outside of Iowa City?
The nepotism rants work just fine in the case of BF, but Tyler Barnes has Iowa's recruiting at a higher level than it has been at in the program's history, right?

Reactions: ClarindaA's
2022 7-5
2021 10-4
2020 6-2
2019 10-3
2018 9-4
2017 8-5

50-23 in the last 6 seasons with Brian Ferentz as OC
.685 winning percentage
that equates to 8.9 wins per season

you have to have an extremely low IQ to want the "Ferentz Regime" removed... just because we had a down year.
Hey, Mrs. Ferentz, Iowa's wins were 98.3% due to Iowa's great defense and special teams and despite Iowa's third-grade offensive scheme. Plus a generally weak schedule. Add it all up and you find that KF and BF should be handing over most of their paychecks to Phil Parker and LeVar Woods. Of course, Iowa did beat up on the likes of South Dakota State (2 safeties and a FG, you may recall) and Nevada, so yah, that was damn impressive stuff.

But I keep getting stuck on the fact that Iowa's offense averages 100th in the nation over the BF tenure, and this year was a firm 130th out of 131. So some might say you would have to have an extremely low IQ to want the "Ferentz Regime" retained. Some Iowa players are voting with their feet. Now let's see how all this shakes out.

Arland Bruce liked this tweet:

I do not believe I read where anyone said CJ was not that good when he left---in fact it was the opposite---same with KJ-----now Tracy is a different story as is AB. I will say this--trade o lines with Mich. and we might look a bit different as well....Purdue hung in there for a while and Mich. might have been a little flat after their big OSU win but they still crushed them in the second half. 2 6th yr sen in Jones and OConnell ---who had a super game overall--kept things going for a while but in the end crushing interceptions and red zone issues were too much--along with their defense in the second half...

Did anyone read the actual tweet and replies? Looks like X Nwankpa replied....

I know Barnes gets criticism for his role at Iowa. But I think he’s done a good job. Comparing Brian Ferentz and him is just dumb. Our recruiting classes have been trending in a good direction. Use of the portal comes from above him. This tweet is dumb but he’s been doing a good job in my opinion.

I know Barnes gets criticism for his role at Iowa. But I think he’s done a good job. Comparing Brian Ferentz and him is just dumb. Our recruiting classes have been trending in a good direction. Use of the portal comes from above him. This tweet is dumb but he’s been doing a good job in my opinion.
I would agree with your summary

Whether or not you believe Iowa should have a balanced offense or not, this is an incredibly dumb thing to tweet when you really need to recruit your ass off to get that WR room back to a B1G standard. Its a borderline fireable offense. Its also incredibly telling about the mentality of the head coach and that entire offense that they can't fathom having a day where they throw for 400 or 500 yards because the opposing team sticks with trying to stop the run first.

How do you guys stick by this offense??? Our defense was responsible for every single win
I agree--the O is bad and been beat to death and the leftovers eaten, but I was not aware you were talking just about the O. CJ got rocked in our game and frankly was showing some wear and tear that will hurt some of his NFL aspirations--he is going to get hit a lot harder more often in the NFL.
I have said all along-CJ is a very good receiver--he is fast and he catches the ball--and we missed him for sure...

Whether or not you believe Iowa should have a balanced offense or not, this is an incredibly dumb thing to tweet when you really need to recruit your ass off to get that WR room back to a B1G standard. Its a borderline fireable offense. Its also incredibly telling about the mentality of the head coach and that entire offense that they can't fathom having a day where they throw for 400 or 500 yards because the opposing team sticks with trying to stop the run first.
I agree--what did the mich guy say after their OSU game? they kept stacking the box so we went long with the pass....but I will say this as well--there were 2 looses like 3 years ago during covid--to NW and I think Purdue --where we threw the ball a lot and lost and everyone was on here pissing that we were throwing it too much--the narrative is powerful in this time of social media in sports and in life--just wonderful times....

King of strawman arguments. I even said Iowa has been successful in the post you quoted. There's probably been less than 5 teams in the country that may have had a higher level of defense than Iowa over the last 5-7 years. The defense has been incredible. More than any fan could reasonably expect.

Over the same time, the offense has never been better than average, and more often than not it has been bad. This year it was historically bad.

Can you please enlighten me as to why fans should not be frustrated with the offense?

Perhaps if we lived in a fantasy world where we made a deal with the devil that we could have a consistently elite defense at the expense of having a terrible offense, I'd be more accepting of the head coach hiring his son to produce the 130th ranked offense. But given that we do not live in such a fantasy land, I am very confused as to why we should be content with an offensive staff that has produced bad results over an extended period of time.

I said that? We shouldn’t be upset about the O?! Where, I’ll wait….

I mean if you’re going to pull some bull shit straw man argument, I can definitely be petty!

You said we won only because of the D and I simply asked, does that mean we were or weren’t successful.

Honestly none of you guys are good at wit or strategic debating.

It’s not hard to twist you. You guys are constantly putting words in other folks mouth. I like to simplify things, you said we were only successful because of the D!

Which again leaves a simple question….does that mean we were or weren’t successful?!

Simple stuff.

If you are going to make shit up about what others think, you’ll get treated simply.

I’m not a child like you or others, I’m not going to rant and rave about our poor offense on a message board! I’d much rather educate people on what productive, rational human beings do…😊

It’s not that…we suck, KF sucks, we only win because the coach KF hired and promoted is good at his job, wait….what?!

That doesn’t make sense!

I mean if you’re going to pull some bull shit straw man argument, I can definitely be petty!

You said we won only because of the D and I simply asked, does that mean we were or weren’t successful.

It’s not hard to twist you. You guys are constantly putting words in other folks mouth. I like to simplify things, you said we were only successful because of the D!

Which again leaves a simple question….does that mean we were or weren’t successful?!

Simple stuff.

If you are going to make shit up about what others think, you’ll get treated simply.

I’m not a child like you or others, I’m not going to rant and rave about our poor offense on a message board! I’d much rather educate people on what productive, rational human beings do…😊

It’s not that…we suck, KF sucks, we only win because the coach KF hired and promoted is good at his job, wait….what?!

That doesn’t make sense!
What a strange post

Simple stuff.

That doesn’t make sense!

What is the point of asking your question if not to imply that we should shut up about the anemic offense because the team has been successful despite the anemic offense?

I don't know if he was. But who would you be rah rah for.... the school that believed in you and gave you a scholarship or the one who didn't think you were good enough to start?
Iowa found him first; seems Purdue likes to tamper with players to try and keep up. They know they won't win in a portal world, so they have to tamper in the spring, and proceeded to back door into Indy to a team they lost to by 3 scores. Won't last long for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT