ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrese Hunter in transfer portal official

This has been happening to mid major and low major schools for years and years. We're literally recruiting the WAC player of the year who averaged almost 35 minutes per game--haven't heard any outrage as to him being allowed to transfer up. The NCAA can't and shouldn't govern the power conferences any different than the other 250+ schools. If Hunter goes from Iowa St to a blue blood is that not the same as someone going from say a good mid-major like Loyola to a power conference? Just some food for thought.

Clown fans are delusional. They think this is a lateral move.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Five days ago, none of us saw this coming or had any clue.

Most generally believe he liked it here and was close with TJ and this most certainly is devastating.

NIL is what it is right now. He's testing the college free agent waters. Lots of $$$$ out there to be had, and ISU isn't set up like some of the blue bloods and frankly, we don't have that sugar daddy to head up a collective (think Nike at Oregon, Walmart at Arkansas or Fed Ex at Memphis.)

NIL is the death of college sports as we knew it. Sucks but if the NCAA doesn't reform it, college sports are something totally different now. Right out in the open.
That’s a shame. 😢

Reactions: Hwkfn1
He committed to Prohm but yet around this time a year ago he could've backed out when they hired their new coach. Because I know the other committed guy at the time ended up somewhere else. But this is a huge loss on top of Brockington going pro. You figured he would've been the guy on the team next year. Just hope he doesn't end up at a Big 10 school.
Perhaps Hunter will be a Hawkeye. 😉

The NCAA could have gotten ahead of the NIL and transfer stuff 20+ years ago but decided to fight it every step of the way. Now they’re toothless and can’t stop it.

Things are weird right now because they’re different. I believe stuff will normalize over a few years but it’s gonna be weird during that time.

One thing is for sure. In basketball at least, when a team signs a freshman recruit, they should definitely not be expecting them to last 4 years - portal or professional within a couple years. The recruiting game has totally changed. Someone mentioned Perkins. If he takes over and becomes a stud, of course the home town schools will come calling.

College sports have always been sleazy (basketball especially). Now it’s just out in the open how sleazy it is.

then make coaches sit out a year with no pay when they want to move up
Agreed that it's not fair, and I don't have the perfect answer. The theory used to be it was built in to their contracts that if they left there was financial consequences but that got avoided with the new schools paying the buyouts.
And I'm certainly not saying that kids shouldn't be able to transfer. But you have multiple opportunities to visit schools to see if you like the coach/style/campus/city/etc. Sure, an entire year shows you more than three or four weekends, but it's YOUR future so do your homework.
You COMMIT to a school. The next year they bring in a kid in the same position who is better than you? Tough crap--work harder. There's always someone better than you in life. School X now wants you and they have more money to offer? Sorry. These, and other, situations highlight things that should cause a player to have to sit out if he/she goes elsewhere, IMO.
Now if the coach leaves/changes, or you have a family issue (thinking of Nunge), then that is different, again IMO.

I don't know what can be done or put in place to deal with the coaching 'issue', and who knows if the 'solution' would be a bigger problem than what is now the problem--as those of us of age can attest; far too often that is the case.

Maybe I’m stuck on some nostalgic bullshit but I really hopes he sticks to his guns by mainly getting guys out of HS and developing then vs trading 4 or 5 players for 4 or 5 “better” players every year.

Not that there’s anything inherently wrong with that strategy but, as more of a traditionalist, it’s causing me to reflect on where I spend my time and resources.

I can’t see myself cutting the Hawkeyes out of my life completely but I can see not rearranging my life around Iowa athletics to make sure I don’t miss a game. Life’s too short to engage in activities that are becoming less and less enjoyable.

I don't like where this is heading, either.

Is Jon of CBS Sports correct?

I don't like where this is heading, either.

Is Jon of CBS Sports correct?

Unless they change the rules again yes. I honestly like the way Fran does it, not turning over half his roster every year, but there’s no turning back from this. We can bitch all we want but we are still in a better position than most, IMO.

So are we heading towards forcing players to sign multi year contracts if they accept NIL money? “Here’s 250k but you’re obligated to stay at the U of I for two years. If not, you have to pay back NIL in its entirety or at a pro rated amount.”

So are we heading towards forcing players to sign multi year contracts if they accept NIL money? “Here’s 250k but you’re obligated to stay at the U of I for two years. If not, you have to pay back NIL in its entirety or at a pro rated amount.”
I would think that an NIL would be portable. IF it ties a player to a school then it would become a problem in that it could technically be considered a pay-for-play, quid pro quo.

Unless they change the rules again yes. I honestly like the way Fran does it, not turning over half his roster every year, but there’s no turning back from this. We can bitch all we want but we are still in a better position than most, IMO.
You know, the thought has recently occurred to me that P5 teams who are able to maintain the best stability should be better off than those teams who throw a bunch of random players together from one year to the next. I know that’s a Captain Obvious statement, but assuming Kris comes back, look at the players who will be entering at least their third year or more at Iowa:

PMac
CMac
Kris
Perkins
Ulis

IMO, that’s pretty significant.

I’ll believe in enforceable rules as soon as Bill Self loses his job and Kansas vacates wins/championships. Only one example, of course.
That's a sore spot. I don't think that the NCAA could prove the quid pro quo part there but, if there had been a contract such as was proposed above (requiring the player to play for a particular school) then that would exist.

Explain how this is a liberal thing. Can’t wait for the response.
California really got the ball rolling with all of this. I am pretty sure they (quite liberal) legislation passed the NLI type law forcing it to be legal in California. That created a domino effect that happened very quickly. It could be easily be argued it would have happened anyway but that seemed like it really forced the issue.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: littlez and BBHawk
You know, the thought has recently occurred to me that P5 teams who are able to maintain the best stability should be better off than those teams who throw a bunch of random players together from one year to the next. I know that’s a Captain Obvious statement, but assuming Kris comes back, look at the players who will be entering at least their third year or more at Iowa:

PMac
CMac
Kris
Perkins
Ulis

IMO, that’s pretty significant.

We definitely have a lot of good pieces right now. As a result, Fran thinks we only need to add one more player to the roster (a center).

3 starters return next season and I am taking Fran's word for it that Dasonte is going to be good.

Look at the rotations as things stand now:

1: Bowen/Ulis
2: Tony/Payton
3. Patrick/Payton
4. Kris
5. Filip (he started every game last season)

Then you have Connor, Riley, the new center and hopefully Josh Dix coming off the bench.

California really got the ball rolling with all of this. I am pretty sure they (quite liberal) legislation passed the NLI type law forcing it to be legal in California. That created a domino effect that happened very quickly. It could be easily be argued it would have happened anyway but that seemed like it really forces the issue.
And you honestly think that if CA hadn't done it first, it wouldn't have appeared elsewhere like in AL? TX?

🤣

We definitely have a lot of good pieces right now. As a result, Fran thinks we only need to add one more player to the roster (a center).

3 starters return next season and I am taking Fran's word for it that Dasonte is going to be good.

Look at the rotations as things stand now:

1: Bowen/Ulis
2: Tony/Payton
3. Patrick/Payton
4. Kris
5. Filip (he started every game last season)

Then you have Connor, Riley, the new center and hopefully Josh Dix coming off the bench.
I can see how there are a lot of interesting pieces already in place. With a big transfer added to the roster, there’s even more flexibility. Depending on matchups and lineups, I think you need to slide a true 5 into that center position. Someone who is disruptive and a shot blocker. My hope is that Filip comes off the bench in a similar role as Ryan Kriener.

I can see how there are a lot of interesting pieces already in place. With a big transfer added to the roster, there’s even more flexibility. Depending on matchups and lineups, I think you need to slide a true 5 into that center position. Someone who is disruptive and a shot blocker. My hope is that Filip comes off the bench in a similar role as Ryan Kriener.

it would be nice to get that 6'11/7'0 rim protector & rebounder type of big, I agree.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
And you honestly think that if CA hadn't done it first, it wouldn't have appeared elsewhere like in AL? TX?

🤣
No, and as I stated the timing of them passing the law seemed to move this forward at a rate where nothing was regulated at all. They went from saying it would start a year or two later to starting it almost immediately. that lead to the rush and at least some of the chaos we are seeing. The NCAA and national legislation may have made it just as big a mess as neither of them have a good track record at all. I do agree with the post to keep the political B.S. out of here so I should have not replied at all.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
I'm fine with the transfer portal and the free agency it gives to athletes, but this notion that you can transfer from school to school and not have to sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility or take a redshirt year certainly has to end. Surely this will have to cease and only hardship cases would be eligible right away, correct?

This. I haven't seen anything linking Hunter to another school, either before or since he released his statement. Links?
You would have to have your head in the sand if you don't think that the big boys aren't actively recruiting the best players from other teams. Look at Kentucky and CJ. His uncle just got a little cocky and let the cat out of the bag too soon.

A lot of schools seem to be attacking this problem by trying to get a collective of boosters to create a pool of money. Not sure who would make the determination of who they would be trying to attract, but you would think the head coach would have to be involved in these decisions. That even takes this NIL situation further out on the limb.

Personally, I think it is past time for the NCAA to step in to try (try being the operative word) and impose some limitations on this. They can't just sit back and see how it develops because the obvious result will be that the blue bloods, and maybe upstarts like Oklahoma St. (with T-Bone) are going to amass the largest pool of money and players will be bought and sold on the open market effectively destroying any competitive balance that exists today. If that happens, there would be no point in even holding the NCAA Tournament, but rather stage a closed competition involving the haves. The rest of us can have the minor tourny like the NIT to compete for "best of the rest." Hell, there would be no point in even having conferences like the B1G. The entire current structure of college sports would crumble and a new era would begin.

You would have to have your head in the sand if you don't think that the big boys aren't actively recruiting the best players from other teams. Look at Kentucky and CJ. His uncle just got a little cocky and let the cat out of the bag too soon.

A lot of schools seem to be attacking this problem by trying to get a collective of boosters to create a pool of money. Not sure who would make the determination of who they would be trying to attract, but you would think the head coach would have to be involved in these decisions. That even takes this NIL situation further out on the limb.

Personally, I think it is past time for the NCAA to step in to try (try being the operative word) and impose some limitations on this. They can't just sit back and see how it develops because the obvious result will be that the blue bloods, and maybe upstarts like Oklahoma St. (with T-Bone) are going to amass the largest pool of money and players will be bought and sold on the open market effectively destroying any competitive balance that exists today. If that happens, there would be no point in even holding the NCAA Tournament, but rather stage a closed competition involving the haves. The rest of us can have the minor tourny like the NIT to compete for "best of the rest." Hell, there would be no point in even having conferences like the B1G. The entire current structure of college sports would crumble and a new era would begin.
Good post.
This is why I was never for NIL but for intellectual property. I think athletes should be able to hold camps, use the things they've learned. For 99% of college athletes their value is because of the school.

I’m sure we can get on here and laugh at ISU for having their best player transfer, but the issue affects all teams like ISU, Iowa, KSU, etc. The schools like the ones we have in state already were challenged competing against the blue bloods, but where Iowa was successful was getting under recruited guys or good recruits and develop them and make them really good 4 year power conference players. Now that schools can pay players with no rules besides the payments needing to be outside the AD how can Iowa and ISU retain their players? UNI?

Schools like Michigan Duke Kansas UNC Louisville etc will get the top recruits and top transfers due to the shoe companies now compensating the athletes. They will funnel transfers there now hoping to land them if they go pro. It’s like the NFL or NBA with no salary cap.

The whole thing stinks because neither the NCAA nor the school is paying the athletes. It’s shoe companies, alumni and donors and the departments and the governing body still cash their checks

That's a different issue entirely.

IMO Iowa and universities that are similar will just be training programs for players to transfer out of to the so-called elite teams. If Bowen blows up (or any other underclassman) next year do not be surprised if he enters portal in 2023.

Don't know if it's $2 billion, but what they put on their website as of 2018-19 is less than that.

Where Does the Money Go? - NCAA.org

According to them, only $44.8M is going to administration/overhead at the NCAA. If this is true, they distribute the money to conferences/schools, other funds.

To the question of tampering, they literally have no way of proving it if they just keep one level of separation between the player and other program. If it's a friend of the family or someone in the player's circle that reaches out to the prospective school and has the conversation, there is not much there. And the NCAA has no ability to subpoena records from the school unless they have reason to believe a violation occurred. All Hunter or any player has to do is say any contact came after they entered their name in the portal and it's done.

With Frederick, of course someone close to him had assurances that Kentucky was an option when he transferred. And I'm not saying it's bad or that Fran should have done anything about it. It is what it is.
I'm not sure what your saying, "not saying its bad". Its the absolute worst kind of betrayal. for Christ's sake. We were in the middle of the season, and while we're scrambling for wins he and old uncle Joe are making exit plans. Then they lied to Fran right up to the day before he "announced" he was hitting the portal. As stupid as this whole portal thing is, the schools are not allowed to recruit or contact players on current teams until they have entered the portal. Its obvious thats not what happened here. There was smoke all over social media about his uncle making contact months before the season ended.

Reactions: DewHawk
I would guess part of this is he originally committed to a coach known for developing PGs into pros and really more offensive minded. The kid is a really really good defender but by thoughts are he probably wanted an offensive minded coach to develop on that end. TJ and ISU are going all in on defense. NIL probably is part of it but I think the other part shouldn't be overlooked.

I'm fine with the transfer portal and the free agency it gives to athletes, but this notion that you can transfer from school to school and not have to sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility or take a redshirt year certainly has to end. Surely this will have to cease and only hardship cases would be eligible right away, correct?
well you can only transfer once and be eligible right away. After that you have to sit.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
IMO Iowa and universities that are similar will just be training programs for players to transfer out of to the so-called elite teams. If Bowen blows up (or any other underclassman) next year do not be surprised if he enters portal in 2023.
You mean like what mid-majors have been like for years to power conference programs? Iowa hasn't necessarily taken advantage of it, but Iowa St sure has--they're one of the pioneer programs of poaching mid major and disgruntled high major players. I just find it funny that there was never outrage from their side when it benefitted them, but now that Blue Bloods are poaching power conference players it's suddenly this huge issue. I'm not a Drake or UNI fan necessarily, but they've certainly been victims to this kind of thing for a while now.

You mean like what mid-majors have been like for years to power conference programs? Iowa hasn't necessarily taken advantage of it, but Iowa St sure has--they're one of the pioneer programs of poaching mid major and disgruntled high major players. I just find it funny that there was never outrage from their side when it benefitted them, but now that Blue Bloods are poaching power conference players it's suddenly this huge issue. I'm not a Drake or UNI fan necessarily, but they've certainly been victims to this kind of thing for a while now.
I agree and it is sad IMO.

Won’t be much Cyclone guilt if AJ Green leaves UNI for ISU. Of course no tampering from his dad.

Reactions: BBHawk
Didn't either Ohio or Alabama have a HS kid coming in and he was given a huge NIL. By the first of 2nd game he was no longer the starter and the NIL got pulled. Something like this happened I am pretty sure.

Yup, agreed

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT