ADVERTISEMENT

U of I President Barbara Wilson

pistachio1999

HR Legend
Nov 29, 2021
When she was hired:

From CR Gazette 4/30/2021:

She stepped in as interim chancellor of the Urbana-Champaign campus in 2015 after Phyllis Wise resigned for her handling of a professor who made anti-Israel tweets and her use of a private email to conduct university business. During that interim, Wilson fired two football coaches and an athletic director after one coach was accused of mistreating players, Illinois Public Media reported. Wilson told reporters Friday a president should be involved in all aspects of a university’s operations, including athletics.

University Of Illinois Fires Its Athletic Director​

November 9, 20153:54 PM ET
By
Laura Wagner
The University of Illinois has fired its athletic director, Mike Thomas, following months of criticism about different athletic programs at the school.
"Mike Thomas has done a good job of leading through recent challenges," Interim Chancellor Barbara Wilson said in a statement, according to the Chicago Tribune. "Decisions such as these are always difficult, but we have to focus on the best interests of our student-athletes. I believe this decision allows everyone to move forward."
Thomas' firing follows the high-profile firing of football coach Tim Beckman in August, a week before the start of the season. As we reported at the time, a review found that Beckman had made "efforts to deter injury reporting and influence medical decisions that pressured players to avoid or postpone medical treatment and continue playing despite injuries."
The school released a final report on the university's football program, which did not single out Thomas for any wrongdoing.
In a statement Monday, Thomas said that he understood the university's need for a clean slate.
"I understand the administration's decision to turn the page and turn the focus of this organization back on the success and welfare of our student-athletes. The reports indicate that I acted appropriately and immediately whenever I learned of any issues related to the safety and well-being of our students. However, I understand the chancellor's viewpoint that my continued presence may create an ongoing distraction for our students, coaches and staff, and I accept the situation."
The Tribune adds that the university's athletic department has weathered a number of scandals this year:

"The athletic department has faced scandal and criticism since the spring. Seven former women's basketball players filed a $10 million racial discrimination lawsuit, several football players alleged player mistreatment by coach Tim Beckman, who was subsequently fired, and a women's soccer player also sued the school for medical mistreatment of concussions."

Reactions: Buffhawk
Any new coach that would apply to fill head coach vacancy better have a very clean record.
Well...as they should seeing as how they will be the highest compensated state employee in a super visible position. Because some percentage of D1 FB HC's turn out to be real jerks...make sure the contract has iron clad "get out of jail" language in it if it turns out that they are jerks.

After Barbara Wilson fired Athletic Director and Head FB coach at U of Illinois in 2015 the FB team celebrated with a 3-9 record in 2016, a 2-10 record in 2017, and a 4-8 record in 2018.

In the 8 years since Wilson fired the AD in 2015 the FB program had a combined record of 33 - 57.

If you think Wilson is bringing a playbook of success to Iowa her past suggests otherwise.

From Reuters Nov 9, 2015: Article Link
The University of Illinois fired athletic director Mike Thomas following the release on Monday of a report that detailed the mistreatment of players by former football coach Tim Beckman.

Interim Chancellor Barbara Wilson said while the report found no wrongdoing by Thomas, she believed that a “change in leadership” was necessary and it was “time for us to move forward.”

“(Thomas) has done a good job of leading (the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics) through recent challenges,” she told a news conference at the Champagne, Illinois school. “And he is the one who actually requested the outside investigations.

“However it’s time to put the distractions of these past months behind us and to put the focus back on the success of our athletic programs.”

Sound familiar?

In other words, Iowa athletics is f#%!ed.
Pretty much. I've been saying this in other threads. Everybody cheering on BG for making an obvious and popular move without even thinking of the long-term ramifications and what this all means when a Pres and AD get all handsy with the athletic programs. Winners, alpha dog coaches are not going to work under those conditions.

BF was going to be gone at the end of the season no matter what. Not even KF would run this crap back again after this year. He has to see the damage it was doing to his kid's career. Guarantee BF would have parachuted out and found a soft landing as an NFL position coach after this season. But now he has been publicly disgraced and KF has been cut down. You don't think prospective future coaches don't notice these things?

So are you saying Illinois should have kept that coach? It feels like you want to blame the AD and President for holding a coach accountable. Many on here would have been happy if Kirk had made the changes necessary to have a successful offense, but he didn't and forced his leadership to make that change for him.
I agree this situation isn't ideal, but I don't think it's right to take that blame off of Kirk when he was unwilling to make the difficult but necessary decision to relieve Brian.

Pretty much. I've been saying this in other threads. Everybody cheering on BG for making an obvious and popular move without even thinking of the long-term ramifications and what this all means when a Pres and AD get all handsy with the athletic programs. Winners, alpha dog coaches are not going to work under those conditions.

BF was going to be gone at the end of the season no matter what. Not even KF would run this crap back again after this year. He has to see the damage it was doing to his kid's career. Guarantee BF would have parachuted out and found a soft landing as an NFL position coach after this season. But now he has been publicly disgraced and KF has been cut down. You don't think prospective future coaches don't notice these things?
Don’t hire your family members and the AD won’t have to get involved. Goetz alluded to as much in her statement yesterday.

After Barbara Wilson fired Athletic Director and Head FB coach at U of Illinois in 2015 the FB team celebrated with a 3-9 record in 2016, a 2-10 record in 2017, and a 4-8 record in 2018.

In the 8 years since Wilson fired the AD in 2015 the FB program had a combined record of 33 - 57.

If you think Wilson is bringing a playbook of success to Iowa her past suggests otherwise.

The University of Illinois fired athletic director Mike Thomas following the release on Monday of a report that detailed the mistreatment of players by former football coach Tim Beckman.

Interim Chancellor Barbara Wilson said while the report found no wrongdoing by Thomas, she believed that a “change in leadership” was necessary and it was “time for us to move forward.”

“(Thomas) has done a good job of leading (the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics) through recent challenges,” she told a news conference at the Champagne, Illinois school. “And he is the one who actually requested the outside investigations.

“However it’s time to put the distractions of these past months behind us and to put the focus back on the success of our athletic programs.”

Sound familiar?
Illinois football is not Iowa football. They haven't been even consistently "good" for decades. Iowa will be fine, change is inevitable, embrace it.

So you say they made an obvious decision without even thinking of the long-term ramifications. That has be one of the dumbest things I've heard here - and I've heard some dumb sh!t! What makes you think they didn't think of long-term consequences? you think these people are as idiotic as you? FFS man.

Illinois football is not Iowa football. They haven't been even consistently "good" for decades. Iowa will be fine, change is inevitable, embrace it.
Yeah, Lovie would have done way better at Iowa. We are gonna end up with a Mike Riley kind of coach.

• Haha
Reactions: GHawk
Be afraid of change. You may be right and KF is as good as we can get or will ever get. The truth of the matter is, his time is up

Yeah, Lovie would have done way better at Iowa. We are gonna end up with a Mike Riley kind of coach.
You think Iowa's next head coach is going to be someone in the latter half of his career with 15+ years of head coaching experience between college and NFL with underwhelming results, who has mostly bounced around every few years to more than a dozen programs? GMAFB.

You think Iowa's next head coach is going to be someone in the latter half of his career with 15+ years of head coaching experience between college and NFL with underwhelming results, who has mostly bounced around every few years to more than a dozen programs? GMAFB.
He will be a super nice guy though.

I am definitely applying for both the OC and HC jobs. I can maintain our current status as 130th best offense in the land(FBS only) and make a decent paycheck for a couple years before I get bounced.

I'll be bringing a documentary crew along for the ride so I have something to focus on when my coaching career comes to a screeching halt.

Sound familiar?
And in the 10 years before the firing, Illinois had 3 winning seasons and went 47 - 77 overall.
2005: 2 - 10
2006: 2 - 10
2007: 9 - 4
2008: 5 - 7
2009: 3 - 9
2010: 7 - 6
2011: 7 - 6
2012: 2 - 10
2013: 4 - 8
2014: 6 - 7

But yeah, that 2015 firing is definitely what sent this juggernaut perennial championship-contending 800-pound gorilla of a program careening off the rails into perpetual freefall.

Illinois football is not Iowa football.
yeah but is Iowa going to become Illinois? There’s a track record with Wilson, things didn’t exactly “turn around” under her leadership.

AND if she is this welcome change who does she have up her sleeve for replacement. I’m willing to bet nothing now and not much later.

One. Trick. Pony?

Iowa athletics operate within the confines of the University of Iowa, with students being their "employee pool" for a lack of a better term. You think the university president shouldn't have an interest in students? When college athletics becomes the true semi-pro business that it is currently trying to pretend it's not, by all means break free from the university affiliations and do your own thing. But as long as students are involved and they want the benefits of the University, then I damn well hope the president is involved. I expect it actually.

Reactions: ichawk24

No, it will be some stupid jackass self promoter like Fleck.

• Wow
Reactions: HawCory
Iowa athletics operate within the confines of the University of Iowa, with students being their "employee pool" for a lack of a better term. You think the university president shouldn't have an interest in students? When college athletics becomes the true semi-pro business that it is currently trying to pretend it's not, by all means break free from the university affiliations and do your own thing. But as long as students are involved and they want the benefits of the University, then I damn well hope the president is involved. I expect it actually.

If she cared more about academics she would be meeting with her fellow presidents thinking of how they can spin these programs off into subsidiary corporations and just take the profits. Pay the players, forget them going to classes, formalize it as the pro sport it really is.

Reactions: BlackNGoldWings
If she cared more about academics she would be meeting with her fellow presidents thinking of how they can spin these programs off into subsidiary corporations and just take the profits. Pay the players, forget them going to classes, formalize it as the pro sport it really is.
I don't disagree. But the way it currently sits I'd want the president involved.

yeah but is Iowa going to become Illinois? There’s a track record with Wilson, things didn’t exactly “turn around” under her leadership.

AND if she is this welcome change who does she have up her sleeve for replacement. I’m willing to bet nothing now and not much later.

One. Trick. Pony?
I was under the impression that the AD is charged with vetting and hiring the HC, not the President.

45 years ago isn't exactly a good reference point either.
Well what time frame are we referencing then because we have had only two coaches since!

And holy hell who would not love them a good old Jerry Burns fire breathing presser just one more time!

Iowa's All Time Record is 660 Wins, 545 losses and 34 ties. 1,239 games

Winning % of 53%

So the mean over a 12 game season would be 6-6 to 7-5.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT