ADVERTISEMENT

U of I President Barbara Wilson

And in the 10 years before the firing, Illinois had 3 winning seasons and went 47 - 77 overall.
2005: 2 - 10
2006: 2 - 10
2007: 9 - 4
2008: 5 - 7
2009: 3 - 9
2010: 7 - 6
2011: 7 - 6
2012: 2 - 10
2013: 4 - 8
2014: 6 - 7

But yeah, that 2015 firing is definitely what sent this juggernaut perennial championship-contending 800-pound gorilla of a program careening off the rails into perpetual freefall.
Exactly. Illinois has had a shit program going back more than 20 years. It’s not a recent development.

Well what time frame are we referencing then because we have had only two coaches since!

And holy hell who would not love them a good old Jerry Burns fire breathing presser just one more time!
Idk, I'm not old enough to know further back. But I don't think using past failures is a good reason to not want to change anything.

Reactions: Bierhalter
Be afraid of change. You may be right and KF is as good as we can get or will ever get. The truth of the matter is, his time is up
Oh FFS. Overreact much? There is ONE phase of the program that is broken. ONE. Defensive is borderline elite, special teams the same. You want to burn down the house because you think the carpet sucks.

Oh FFS. Overreact much? There is ONE phase of the program that is broken. ONE. Defensive is borderline elite, special teams the same. You want to burn down the house because you think the carpet sucks.
That's like having a bad heart and saying Hey, only one organ is a problem.

Unless and until I know for sure there is a broader plan (and a good plan) in place to replace KF, I’m going to be concerned more risk was introduced here than needed to be. I don’t mind the decision- but the leaders better sure as hell have a great plan lined up. If so, they’re awesome. If not, they’re idiots. I honestly don’t see much room for middle ground here.

Reactions: bluroptimo
I trust Beth Goetz more than Gary Barta with a new head coach hire based upon her decisions over three months compared to Barta’s 17 years.
The AD for Iowa does not get to pick the next head coach. A committee will be formed and candidates picked from a list provided and they will take sooooo long interviewing several candidates.
That's how Kirk was picked over Bob Stoops. They had to interview a few more candidates.

Jerry Burns, Ray Nagel, Frank Lauterbur, Bob Commings and the years 1962-1978 say, "Not so fast..."

You have ZERO basis to say "Iowa will be fine".
Good lord, I’m no young buck, being in my early 40’s, but WE KNOW all about the 60’s and 70’s from you boomers that CONSTANTLY talk about it as your reason for being afraid to move on from Ferentz (as if Hayden Fry never existed). Nobody cares about 50+ years ago. Like someone else said on another thread, 1970’s football is as relevant to today as 1920’s football was to the 1970’s. Did you care about the 1920’s back in the 70’s too?

Unless and until I know for sure there is a broader plan (and a good plan) in place to replace KF, I’m going to be concerned more risk was introduced here than needed to be. I don’t mind the decision- but the leaders better sure as hell have a great plan lined up. If so, they’re awesome. If not, they’re idiots. I honestly don’t see much room for middle ground here.
They had to act. KFz was looking more and more like a dictator. The risk is no greater now than if KFz decided to retire 3 years from now. I would suggest if this pushes up his retirement then it's probably a good thing. He's basically admitting he was in it just to get Brian the HC job.

They may already be vetting candidates if they're getting the vibe that KFz may leave. The IOWA job is a damn good one. I trust Beth Goetz to make the next hire a hell of a lot more than I would have Gary Barta.

Bingo. And I don't think they have a plan. Evidence, reports are KF is not pleased at the current moment. If they were on the same page those reports wouldn't be coming out. You think they've already contacted potential replacements for KF if he decides he's had enough? Hell no, and if they have those prospects would be WTF? you're sneaking around the back of a 25-year HC looking for a replacement? Good luck finding a quality replacement with that strategy.

Do they have a short list? Of course, every AD has a short list. Do they have a solid replacement ready to go? No way.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
Good lord, I’m no young buck, being in my early 40’s, but WE KNOW all about the 60’s and 70’s from you boomers that CONSTANTLY talk about it as your reason for being afraid to move on from Ferentz (as if Hayden Fry never existed). Nobody cares about 50+ years ago. Like someone else said on another thread, 1970’s football is as relevant to today as 1920’s football was to the 1970’s. Did you care about the 1920’s back in the 70’s too?
Your age-based assumptions are fundamentally flawed. My group of college buddies who all graduated in the 80s are 5 out of 6 ready to move on from KFz...and have been for a bit.

Reactions: icwesthawk
The AD for Iowa does not get to pick the next head coach. A committee will be formed and candidates picked from a list provided and they will take sooooo long interviewing several candidates.
That's how Kirk was picked over Bob Stoops. They had to interview a few more candidates.
This is a perfect way to create no accountability for the decision. I don’t mind a committee to help inform, vet and select - keep someone from going rogue. But ultimately the AD needs to be held accountable. That’s my opinion anyway - but not sure the university will see it that way.

800-pound gorilla of a program careening off the rails into perpetual freefall.
You describing Iowa FB?

Wilson fired the FB HC and the AD and nothing improved. That should be concerning. You think she’s changed? Firing a coach with games left to play? Who does that to a team? Unless you have a kick ass plan up your sleeve it looks like she was a hired hit man. Don’t expect someone like that to also be a fixer.

Reactions: vacuum_cleaner

Iowa is even smaller relatively now, so results are likely worse.

Pretty much. I've been saying this in other threads. Everybody cheering on BG for making an obvious and popular move without even thinking of the long-term ramifications and what this all means when a Pres and AD get all handsy with the athletic programs. Winners, alpha dog coaches are not going to work under those conditions.

BF was going to be gone at the end of the season no matter what. Not even KF would run this crap back again after this year. He has to see the damage it was doing to his kid's career. Guarantee BF would have parachuted out and found a soft landing as an NFL position coach after this season. But now he has been publicly disgraced and KF has been cut down. You don't think prospective future coaches don't notice these things?
I disagree that Kirk wouldn't have run it back without this move from the administration. In today's press conference, he blamed injuries for this year's results on offense. Left unchecked (i.e., Barta still in charge), Kirk would have Brian would return in 2024.

After Barbara Wilson fired Athletic Director and Head FB coach at U of Illinois in 2015 the FB team celebrated with a 3-9 record in 2016, a 2-10 record in 2017, and a 4-8 record in 2018.

In the 8 years since Wilson fired the AD in 2015 the FB program had a combined record of 33 - 57.

If you think Wilson is bringing a playbook of success to Iowa her past suggests otherwise.

From Reuters Nov 9, 2015: Article Link
The University of Illinois fired athletic director Mike Thomas following the release on Monday of a report that detailed the mistreatment of players by former football coach Tim Beckman.

Interim Chancellor Barbara Wilson said while the report found no wrongdoing by Thomas, she believed that a “change in leadership” was necessary and it was “time for us to move forward.”

“(Thomas) has done a good job of leading (the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics) through recent challenges,” she told a news conference at the Champagne, Illinois school. “And he is the one who actually requested the outside investigations.

“However it’s time to put the distractions of these past months behind us and to put the focus back on the success of our athletic programs.”

Sound familiar?
46-76 in the years prior. (Zook and Beckman) Illinois has sucked regardless of who their AD is or was.

46-76 in the years prior. (Zook and Beckman) Illinois has sucked regardless of who their AD is or was.
She doesn’t have a track record of success when it comes to turning around a program. But she does have a track record of doing what she just did. One. Trick. Pony.

I know no one would answer, but why didn’t press ask how many conversations have been had in last month or two leading up to the decision. Usually a manager has to have discussed performance issues a few times leading up to a dismissal. Had Beth or Barbara been talking to Kirk and Brian in the weeks leading up to this or did they do the Barta and just can him.

I don’t do this very often Pistahcio. But I guarantee iowa’s offense will be better next year. Won’t that mean the right decision was made offensively?!?
I’ll take your bet Steamer. Over the next two seasons (2024 and 2025) Iowa’s FB record won’t be as good as the .750 win percent (6-2) when Wilson did the deed.

I know no one would answer, but why didn’t press ask how many conversations have been had in last month or two leading up to the decision. Usually a manager has to have discussed performance issues a few times leading up to a dismissal. Had Beth or Barbara been talking to Kirk and Brian in the weeks leading up to this or did they do the Barta and just can him.
I mean technically he’s not dismissed. He’s just not getting renewed. He has a contract that expires after this season. That’s what 25 ppg was about. He misses that and it doesn’t auto renew.

I mean technically he’s not dismissed. He’s just not getting renewed. He has a contract that expires after this season. That’s what 25 ppg was about. He misses that and it doesn’t auto renew.
I might not recall it correctly, but isn’t that what Barta did to the deputy AD lady?

I might not recall it correctly, but isn’t that what Barta did to the deputy AD lady?
Jane Meyer? Barta fired Meyer’s partner who was the field hockey coach, coach sued, and Meyer was reassigned within athletic dept related to that I think? And then Meyer sued too.

I’ll take your bet Steamer. Over the next two seasons (2024 and 2025) Iowa’s FB record won’t be as good as the .750 win percent (6-2) when Wilson did the deed.
Not the right comparison...the correct comparison would be:

What would Iowa's record be in 2024 and 2025 with BF as OC v. what would it be without him as OC? Obviously, there is no way to be sure about either one, so the conversation is academic, but we do know that the schedule toughens considerably starting next year AND there is no guarantee that the D and the ST play stays as strong as it is right now.

I think everyone though can imagine the O being significantly improved. Now then, whether that bears out, or not, remains to be seen. But status quo on offense was DEFINITELY not going to be OK going forward.

Whether the deed was done in the right way, at the right time, etc, etc...who can say, but I credit Goetz, and whomever else was in on it, with addressing the elephant in the room...because as good as KF is in so many ways, he has a giant blind spot towards the effectiveness of his son here, essentially forcing someone else to end the madness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT