ADVERTISEMENT

U of M wrestling under investigation

Think so? It is someone's reputation. If it comes down to that, we create that doubt. Just because we can does not mean we should. Just disrespectful.

I am not in charge nor am I the bench mark for propriety. Just gave my thoughts. Do as you will.

There have been some pretty big "controversies" during the coaching tenure of Robinson going back over the last three or four decades. Some of those have been self inflicted problems while some have been more a question of ethics, specifically speaking to the "real estate" dealings. He has been a bit of a magnet to criticism for things he's been involved with.

While he has been a huge plus for Gopher wrestling since his arrival, he has also never hidden his resentment for the way he exited Iowa City. So I take this whole story with the realization that he likely still has his own self interests in mind.

Some here know him personally. Most do not. With that in mind... there is absolutely no way in hell this can turn out well for him or the program. He needs to step away from the job and allow an unbiased and uninfluenced inquiry to occur. If that probe clears him of wrongdoing... he should return. If not... his legacy will be tarnished forever.

Reactions: BuckRussel
http://m.startribune.com/j-robinson-s-agent-issues-statement/381344621/

JRob's agent makes statement that J notified his direct supervisor and interim AD of his concerns about use. Doesn't specify the dealing per say. However, more communication took place than was originally lead on.
That statement could imply several things. In order to conduct drug testing, JRob would need to order the tests through admin, so no eye opener there. However, the distinct lack of mention of dealing in that statement is curious, and when you add that the material sent by admin is on drug use, it further solidifies that admin thought they were facing drug use and not dealing. Maybe the reports are wrong and there was no dealing. Crazier things have happened. If that is the case, I think what JRob did was appropriate given the circumstances. However, if he covered up drug dealing, then we are back to square one with JRob.

It would be nice if the agent was willing to clarify his statement further and add that JRob notified admin of ALL possible transgressions. I suspect we won't see that.

If there is no mention of dealing that implies no knowledge of dealing. You can't just assume cover up just because it was not mentioned.

If there is no mention of dealing that implies no knowledge of dealing. You can't just assume cover up just because it was not mentioned.
I'm sorry that I didn't use a sarcasm emoji in that last post! Since Minnesota wrestling is once again a laughingstock I was merely making fun of them.;)

http://m.startribune.com/j-robinson-s-agent-issues-statement/381344621/

JRob's agent makes statement that J notified his direct supervisor and interim AD of his concerns about use. Doesn't specify the dealing per say. However, more communication took place than was originally lead on.
Something smells. This is a press release by JRob's agent. It says he told the university but it also confirms the earlier info that he was offering amnesty. Why would the university sign up for that? Answer: They didn't. This is JRob's fantasy version of the events. And a sign, to my suspicious mind, that JRob's downward spiral is accelerating.

blank.gif
Full Press Release from J's agent.
(and nothing will happen to Lyden cuz he has a "source" ?????? )

PRESS RELEASE - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date May 30, 2016
RE: University of Minnesota Head Wrestling Coach J Paul Robinson

Last Tuesday, May 24th KMSP aired during their late evening news a report concerning University of Minnesota wrestlers’ alleged drug use and alleged drug sales.

On Thursday, May 26th a number of newspaper stories picked up the television report advancing more specific anonymously sourced allegations against Coach Robinson.

The media coverage to date appears to be a self-circulating story based on one, anonymous source; blather from anonymous sources and a media environment that disperses what it wants to be true rather than what actually is true is troubling.

In late February / early March, Coach Robinson became suspicious members of the University of Minnesota wrestling team were using drugs.

Pursuant to University of Minnesota Department of Intercollegiate Athletics policy Coach Robinson notified his direct supervisor within the Athletic Department of his concerns. Coach Robinson specifically notified the interim Athletic Department Director as well, and of his desire to have specific wrestlers tested.

Coach Robinson was instructed he needed to complete a ‘testing form’ (i.e., The University of Minnesota Department of Intercollegiate Athletics Alcohol and Drug Testing Reasonable Suspicion Reporting Form) before requesting the testing of student athletes.

The ‘reasonable suspicion’ form was completed, and testing of student athletes took place on or about Monday, March 21st.

It was on March 25th the interim Athletic Director sent Coach Robinson the 2016 University of Minnesota Drug and Alcohol Policy in twenty pages via email.

The ‘Drug and Alcohol Policy’ states: “Any student-athlete who identifies him/herself as having a substance abuse problem may self-refer to the Department of Athletic Medicine to be entered into a Safe Harbor program pending approval of the Review Board.”

Coach Robinson specifically informed the University through multiple channels of his knowledge of the situation. The University did not test the student athletes for Xanax.

Coach Robinson informed University staff of his specific concerns. As a result there are electronic communications between University employees within the University’s control on these issues.

The University has now been placed on written notice the communications and electronically stored data in its control may not be damaged, altered and/or destroyed and must be available for future dissemination.

As of this date no specific person or identifiable employee of the University has made a statement of fact that can be corroborated.The University has been asked to test athletes, has tested athletes and has not disclosed this fact or seemingly instructed its employee on how to deal with the consequences of its testing results and/or the serious allegations being advanced in the media by an anonymous wrestler.

Coach Robinson has earned respect over the past thirty years as one of the most honorable, loyal and successful coaches in University history.

Coach Robinson’s accomplishments and loyalty to the University, to his teams, to the hundreds of student athletes he has coached, and to his fans, and detractors, would seem to be lost at this time. Fairness and appropriate disclosures by the University are at issue, and balanced coverage by the media of all facts is required.

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
Something smells. This is a press release by JRob's agent. It says he told the university but it also confirms the earlier info that he was offering amnesty. Why would the university sign up for that? Answer: They didn't. This is JRob's fantasy version of the events. And a sign, to my suspicious mind, that JRob's downward spiral is accelerating.

The chatter off the public boards has the ax man pulling his mask from the bag, ready to suit up. Now that J has called out the university through his Agent, the University and its power players arent sitting idle.

Then again guys with fake names and internet personas that PM you could be full of BS too. Time will tell I guess. Freaking shame that J may go out like this.

Safe haven is used a lot in universities.
How are you so sure they didn't?

For anyone that is an anti-Gopher fan, the longer this drags out... the better. The real question will be what exactly prompted the uncovering of the alleged scandal? Does Robinson's version match the facts to date? This is a PR nightmare for Robinson's running of the program.

After listening to Gopher fans rejoice and relish any bad news from the Hawkeye program over the years, this is karma with a capital "K".

To say I enjoy watching Gopher fans squirm while they wait for the hammer to drop would be a massive understatement! The fan base that coined the phrase "jumping monkeys" and "rabbitgate" are now the ones who are being laughed at and ridiculed.

As fans analyze the problems that Minnesota has had attracting top in-State kids, perhaps there were suspicions before now from parents and wrestlers.

Regardless of the outcome... this hurts the Goofs.

I would love to hear comments from our resident Gopher dad poster. But I imagine there is a gag order in play on advice from legal counsel.

After listening to Gopher fans rejoice and relish any bad news from the Hawkeye program over the years, this is karma with a capital "K".

That statement is too vague for me. Please detail all the "bad news...over the years" so I can better understand.

I would love to hear comments from our resident Gopher dad poster. But I imagine there is a gag order in play on advice from legal counsel.

Haven't seen PBS on any forums at all since the news came out. Smart move because no matter if his son had anything to do with or not (which I'm hoping), it would get thrown in his face. Tough to defend without naming names or denying all of it. Slim, I know most of us are wishing your boy the best.

For anyone that is an anti-Gopher fan, the longer this drags out... the better. The real question will be what exactly prompted the uncovering of the alleged scandal? Does Robinson's version match the facts to date? This is a PR nightmare for Robinson's running of the program.

To say I enjoy watching Gopher fans squirm while they wait for the hammer to drop would be a massive understatement! The fan base that coined the phrase "jumping monkeys" and "rabbitgate" are now the ones who are being laughed at and ridiculed.

As fans analyze the problems that Minnesota has had attracting top in-State kids, perhaps there were suspicions before now from parents and wrestlers.

I have enjoyed the rivalry with Minnesota and went up to Minneapolis two of the last three years for duals.Don't include me in those that want bad things to happen to Gopher Wrestling.

That statement is too vague for me. Please detail all the "bad news...over the years" so I can better understand.
Reading comprehension... it's a wonderful thing! My statement was "any" bad news, not "all". With that said, I'll give a couple of instances where Goof fans seemed to enjoy things coming from Iowa City.

One instance was the theft charges against the three Iowa wrestlers which eventually led to Gross leaving the team. Another was the "poaching/hunting" fiasco where Zadick and a few others were involved. Then there's always the Iowa coaches being warned for a little overzealous activity at matside which occasionally leads to a point or two being docked. Obviously, none of those are even remotely as severe as is what is being alleged in Gooferville.

The gopher fan base suffers from a severe level of "penis envy" when it comes to Iowa wrestling. Always have and likely always will.

When it comes to eventually hiring a new HC... the best thing the Gopher AD could do is exactly what dozens of other D-1 programs have done... look for a guy with a Hawkeye background. You did it with J and up to this point, that has turned out relatively well for the program.

The very fact that J released his own statement through his own attorney is curious. Right or wrong, you can bet the powers that be at the U of M are not pleased right now. It shows there's a divide.

The very fact that J released his own statement through his own attorney is curious. Right or wrong, you can bet the powers that be at the U of M are not pleased right now. It shows there's a divide.
They are hoping to salvage some of his salary due through 2019. It is essentially the Paterno defense - we did the minimum required by law, the University administration dropped the ball. Please blame them while we walk away quietly.

Yep. That was my takeaway too. JRob has lawyered up and isn't going to go quietly into the night.

The only question right now is when he goes! Cause the new AD isn't going to have this big ass zit blemish his first six months on the job.

Somebody is going to negotiate a retirement package where they end up somewhere between what his contract calls for and how the administration could terminate him with cause and not pay him.

Either way, Robinson has coached his last team. The big item for Robinson will be his ability to continue the camps somehow.

I firmly believe that JRob actually gets a contract extension past the 2020 season out of this ordeal.

I firmly believe that JRob actually gets a contract extension past the 2020 season out of this ordeal.
I hope somehow there is sarcasm built into this and I'm just missing it. If not, I hope you're a little fella, cause that's a tiny ass limb you're going out on there. IMO of course.

Not that the kids should have been selling Xanax or any other prescription drugs, but I find it pretty hypocritical that doctors/pharmacists are able to prescribe that shit like candy. Pain killers/anti-anxiety is so much ****ing money for big pharma.

At the end of the day, like any drug, it's an adult making a decision about what they put into their body. If they were mislead (about what they're consuming) that's straight up criminal, but the drug war in this country and in many countries throughout the world is a ridiculous waste of resources and an infringement on individual liberty.

I don't think anyone other than a health professional should be dispensing narcodics. What if they sold a drug that someone was allergic to or conflicted with a prescription they r already taking? J should have reported the incident to the appropriate individual because what they were doing is illegal.

I'll have whatever you are having.
I don't think anyone other than a health professional should be dispensing narcodics. What if they sold a drug that someone was allergic to or conflicted with a prescription they r already taking? J should have reported the incident to the appropriate individual because what they were doing is illegal.
Robinson likely doesn't know what's going on in most of his program. His bread and butter is the wrestling camps. Eggum runs most everything else from what I've detected off of other sites. The timing of this sure is interesting seeing how they "shit the bed" last season. Would certainly be interesting to know if there were some divisions on the team last year between the sellers/users and the guys that did stay clean.

Explain to me why a College Wrestler would want to use Xanax recreationally? It is a sedative, were they trying to get better rest?

Mitch, I think you are enjoying this news just a little too much. You don't have to be an Gopher hater to be a Hawkeye fan. Overall, our cousins to the North have helped wrestling way more than hurt it, and I think we've benefited more from Minny talent than they have from Iowa talent. Besides, in this sport we settle our differences on the mat, not in a courtroom or a or an internet forum. I DO hope that the dirtbag who obtained and sold the drugs gets what's coming to him, though.

Last edited:
Having used xanax, it is not a drug to use if you are watching your weight. I found it quite curious they didn't test for xanax...

J Rob is done at Minnesota with his latest press release, you can't call out your employer and expect to have a job. He just wants his name cleared

Reading comprehension... it's a wonderful thing! My statement was "any" bad news, not "all".

Yes, it is a wonderful thing. You should brush up on it. Your usage of 'any' in your post above is synonymous with 'all.' If you meant to convey another meaning, consider rewriting the sentence.

Having used xanax, it is not a drug to use if you are watching your weight. I found it quite curious they didn't test for xanax...

J Rob is done at Minnesota with his latest press release, you can't call out your employer and expect to have a job. He just wants his name cleared

Be hard to test for it because it is a commonly prescribed anxiety drug used for a lot of different conditions. Almost any drug can be used for the wrong reasons.

Yes, it is a wonderful thing. You should brush up on it. Your usage of 'any' in your post above is synonymous with 'all.' If you meant to convey another meaning, consider rewriting the sentence.
Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing, yet again, to the OP. Then again, we've learned from experience to expect it from you.

Just remember that you're a visitor on this forum. I guess this means the seven bandwagon fans over at BWI, including yourself, don't have any "copy and paste" stories to read from your mod.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Mitch, I think you are enjoying this news just a little too much. You don't have to be an Gopher hater to be a Hawkeye fan. Overall, our cousins to the North have helped wrestling way more than hurt it, and I think we've benefited more from Minny talent than they have from Iowa talent. Besides, in this sport we settle our differences on the mat, not in a courtroom or a or an internet forum. I DO hope that the dirtbag who obtained and sold the drugs gets what's coming to him, though.
My intense dislike for Gopher fans and their wrestling program evolves from reading all the anti-Iowa bullshit over the years on Guillitine forum. If you've ever visited that site you would understand my POV.

The Hawks don't need a strong Gopher program to be a National Championship contender. We lose one rival, we gain another. Hell... just last year you could make a case that a school like VTech has become out newest rival. Minnesota is on the verge of fading into oblivion. We talk about it because they used to be competitive.

It's the same with ISU. Iowa will be a wrestling power no matter how good or bad the team in Ames is. We don't need them to motivate us.

But yeah... I am enjoying this a lot!:p

Be hard to test for it because it is a commonly prescribed anxiety drug used for a lot of different conditions. Almost any drug can be used for the wrong reasons.

Including the usual suspects to include cocaine, MJ etc, the military now tests for benzos and prescription opioids. I have tested hot twice for them on random drug tests but had a prescription in both cases. I imagine the schools can do the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT