ADVERTISEMENT

U of M wrestling under investigation

Or the dreaded "Can Xanax affect wrestling performance" search.
Seriously. How about that scumbag in Georgia who left his son to die in the car for 9 hours. He had searches on his computer related to heat related deaths in cars, ambient temperature changes in car interiors, etc.

Seriously. How about that scumbag in Georgia who left his son to die in the car for 9 hours. He had searches on his computer related to heat related deaths in cars, ambient temperature changes in car interiors, etc.
what? That's freaking sick to even have something like that enter your mind let alone google and act on it.

You keep saying I am basing my opinion on media reports however I am actually basing my opinion on the following facts:

1. Testimony from a wrestler that has already been proven to be accurate with some his accusations. Add to that lying to the police is a crime and there has been no reason put forth as to why he may be fabricating this.

2. Sufficient evidence to support search warrants;

3. Job Suspension; that's a pretty clear statement by the University;

4. No denial on the most serious accusations despite a long detailed statement issued by his attorney.

How you or anyone can say I need more information to form a negative opinion about the situation is beyond me. In fact the opposite situation exists that there is currently no proof that JRob didn't do the things alleged, he hasn't denied it, no one has discredited the witness, it's more blind faith then anything yet I'm the one jumping to conclusions .…and being a Penn State fan is irrelevant to this discussion, especially in my case. I never defended Paterno, in fact I was of the opinion he should of been fired in the 2000s.

There has been no "testimony from a wrestler". There is an "anonymous source" that the Strib rushed to print without vetting. Some of the sources accusations have been shown to be lies. The "source" had claimed that JRob covered up a drug ring and promised amnesty if the wrestlers wrote an essay. We now know that JRob reported his suspicions of drug use to the Asst AD and to the Interim AD on March 11th. We also know that the University promptly started drug testing procedures. Clearly no coverup as the U of MN top brass were involved. Just as clearly no promise of amnesty as JRob doesn't have that authority. Any learning tool that JRob imposed would be in addition to the University's to be determined sanctions. Perhaps the "source" was confused by the U's Safe Harbor program, which JRob does not have authority to offer. One does have to wonder why the "source" waited for over two months to whistleblow? And if the "source" was telling lies or if the Strib just wanted to print the most salacious story they could make up? Who told the Strib that JRob's home was being searched by a warrant when actually it was the campus police who had searched his office two weeks ago? How is it possible to get basic facts so wrong, and yet make it a headline?

Attorney Bock has said that any theory of JRob knowing of drug dealing is "absurd". This would be a denial of the "source's" claims. And how does this "source" know such specifics? Was he a witness to transactions or a participant? If he had gotten his information from rumors or speculations that would explain the inaccuracies in his story.

So the campus police have been investigating this for almost three months and no charges have been filed. The University had been silent until the tabloid allegations surfaced and now they've jumped into action to make JRob the fall guy and try to salvage what's left of the U's reputation.

It is also worth noting that the U oF M Police investigation has concluded. No charges have been made at this point. The university is now conducting an internal investigation.

It is also worth noting that the U oF M Police investigation has concluded. No charges have been made at this point. The university is now conducting an internal investigation.
Summary: It's going to be awhile. If you have an ounce of patience, now would be the time to exercise it. (I know, good luck with all that!)

The University had been silent until the tabloid allegations surfaced and now they've jumped into action to make JRob the fall guy and try to salvage what's left of the U's reputation.

Putting JRob aside, the U of M admin has proven they're tools, the lot of them.

This comes from an Iowa guy: anyone who actually knows JRob knows he's a solid guy to the bone.

Putting JRob aside, the U of M admin has proven they're tools, the lot of them.

This comes from an Iowa guy: anyone who actually knows JRob knows he's a solid guy to the bone.

Just like I said the other day, you can not trust the news media today they just print stuff with out checking anything out.
Maybe JR should file a suit against the startrib.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
Now that made me laugh. J is accountable for the actions of the wrestlers, fair or not. Was it 85 claiming otherwise? One would think history would be a better teacher.
That is all I've said too. But many on here seem to be arguing that all the good things he has done for college wrestling outweigh what MAY be a poor decision on his part regarding these allegations.

Absolutely equates to JoePa. He likely did a multitude of good things for many of his players through the course of his coaching career. But one REALLY bad decision of ignoring one assts actions have left him with an nonremovable scar to his legacy.

The unfortunately reality right now is that everyone is speculating.

Now that made me laugh. J is accountable for the actions of the wrestlers, fair or not. Was it 85 claiming otherwise? One would think history would be a better teacher.
Hopefully you're joking, but J is NOT accountable for the actions of all 35 of his wrestlers. That's a silly notion. He is responsible for the climate in which the wrestling team is managed and his personal actions after finding out something was going on. No more, no less.

Reactions: 24 so far
Hopefully you're joking, but J is NOT accountable for the actions of all 35 of his wrestlers. That's a silly notion. He is responsible for the climate in which the wrestling team is managed and his personal actions after finding out something was going on. No more, no less.
Have you ever heard the phrase... "The buck stops at the top"?

Have you ever heard the phrase... "The buck stops at the top"?
Yes, but that phrase would be used because of J's inability to control his program, and not for the direct actions of others.

Maybe we're saying similar things but using different words.

Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world where only the individuals who commit the crimes are held responsible. When you accept a head coaching position you accept responsibility for the actions of your team. You can't control their actions. You can create the right atmosphere, the right support systems and the right people and things still can go wrong, and you are accountable for that. Whether you think it is right or not is immaterial. The current system is set up that way. Fair? Somewhat, unfair? Somewhat but it is the system these coaches signed on for. Before you extrapolate this to having Jesus accountable for this or the Big Bang based on your beliefs think through this a little. Why do college coaches want to know about high school players background, family, character etc.? Because they are responsible for these kids and if too many misbehave they won't see the field and the coach will come under heat for 'character' issues, even if they win. It is the system they agreed to so keep up with your approach, it worked wonders when a head coach buried his head in the sand about his employee. Jrob did what he felt was right, more will come out on the story but to deny his responsibility isn't how the system is designed.

Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world where only the individuals who commit the crimes are held responsible. When you accept a head coaching position you accept responsibility for the actions of your team. You can't control their actions. You can create the right atmosphere, the right support systems and the right people and things still can go wrong, and you are accountable for that.
As a lawyer friend used to say, "we are in heated agreement" it seems.

Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world where only the individuals who commit the crimes are held responsible. You can create the right atmosphere, the right support systems and the right people and things still can go wrong, and you are accountable for that.

If that were true then Brands would have been fired long ago.

If that were true then Brands would have been fired long ago.
Don't you think there might be a different level of seriousness between three kids getting drunk at a party 30 miles from campus and deciding to steal stuff vs having an apparently well organized drug exchange likely within a mile of his office? Your attempt to constantly change the discussion of the topic of this thread is disturbing.

Has Robinson sent you here to defend him? If you don't like the Iowa fans tone and opinion, perhaps the best option would be to refrain from visiting. It's the off season... this scandal at the "U" just happens to be the current topic to debate. When we see Gopher wrestlers transferring at some point... then we'll discuss that item. Regardless... Gopher wrestling is the hot topic around the country for ALL the wrong reasons. Too bad, so sad!:cool:

Reactions: brucefan
While I agree J-rob has to be accountable in the sense that he is the coach I don't feel we can say that just because he's the coach it's on him to know and control and take blame for what happens. Was it Brand's fault that MM was in trouble as many times as he was or did Tom try to straighten him out more than once and it didn't work out? I might be off on my memory for when Montel was first in trouble as to when Brands came back if so I blame my old age for it, either way I say you can't put it on the coaches for how the kid acted. Was it his fault that 3 guys got drunk and went on their little night of trouble or was it on them? Yes as a coach you have to take some responsibility for what happens you can't say that a coach is going to be able to control all the situations.

That being said if it would come out that J-rob did know about this and didn't take care of it then yes he is as much to blame as the kids are but until the investigation is done and the facts are released it's all just us speculating. While I have never been a j-rob guy I do hate seeing wrestling getting headlines for this kind of things.

Give it another week. Most likely, this thread will fade, and something else, someplace else, will take it's place. In the meantime, some folks will continue to beat this dead horse...
Good point. Personally I am just sort of killing time until we get word from Iowa State that HC Kevin Jackson has screwed another of his wrestlers with an ill advised redshirt decision. A decision that will be easy to ridicule. Then... I wait until sunshine pumper Buffy arrives to defend the decision. Subsequently we are blessed to learn that Cyclone fans are greatly excited that after seven years... ISU is on the brink of contending for a top ten finish at Nationals. Good times in Ames, indeed.:p

Wishing the best for J, but wondering if he is forced to resign or fired, will any of his recruits or current wrestlers be allowed to transfer w/o penalty by NCAA? Have any of the 4 sellers been named ?

Wishing the best for J, but wondering if he is forced to resign or fired, will any of his recruits or current wrestlers be allowed to transfer w/o penalty by NCAA? Have any of the 4 sellers been named ?

Doubtful. Would be up to the U of M.

who is Brad ?
Brad is the guy with the big brain. It's not a mild sort.
W1CgsHf.gif

Brad, Brett...both totally acceptable names for college white boys who think they are smarter than Marsellus Wallace

Reactions: FineMaterial
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT