ADVERTISEMENT

U of M wrestling under investigation

I see you left babysitter of your list.

All I'm saying is you're as responsible for these kids actions as JRob is.

Might as well start with School President Kaler. If Coaches are responsible for their athletes 24/7 then surely Kaler is responsible for the entire student body right? There's your target.

All the way up to President Obama. Wayment, everybody knows he's not responsible for anything bad going down.

If the student/athletes respect their coaches... this doesn't happen. I just have a hard time understanding why so many here are so quick to deny that Robinson has any responsibility for the actions of his wrestlers. If I'm a parent... I've entrusted my son to this man for 4-5 years. I expect my son to be intelligent enough to make wise decisions, but the HC is the "parent" once they hit the program.

I'm guessing many here can sympathize with J Robinson because he has Iowa ties. Because he has been a very successful coach and businessman. But by many accounts... he is so far away from the daily operations that he may be somewhat out of touch.

As I've already stated numerous times...he's toast. And I would say the exact same thing if Brands was in an identical situation.

If the student/athletes respect their coaches... this doesn't happen. I just have a hard time understanding why so many here are so quick to deny that Robinson has any responsibility for the actions of his wrestlers. If I'm a parent... I've entrusted my son to this man for 4-5 years. I expect my son to be intelligent enough to make wise decisions, but the HC is the "parent" once they hit the program.

I'm guessing many here can sympathize with J Robinson because he has Iowa ties. Because he has been a very successful coach and businessman. But by many accounts... he is so far away from the daily operations that he may be somewhat out of touch.

As I've already stated numerous times...he's toast. And I would say the exact same thing if Brands was in an identical situation.
I don't give a rat's behind about JRobinson, I'm not sympathetic to him in the least. But I sure as heck ain't blaming him for other peoples mistakes.

So who do we entrust our non-athletic children to? Who takes the fall for their dumb decisions for those same 4-5 years?
Does that fall on a teacher? Should the Biology Teacher take more blame than the Business Teacher? A Janitor? School President? Just wondering where that line is, so we'll be able to blame the right person when our kids are less than perfect.

The best option to place blame when one has a dumb-ass attack has remained the same since the beginning of time. Find a mirror.

In my experience J Robinson has nothing but his best interest in mind, I am sure the same is here too

Head coach has responsibility over his program. No doubt. When something happens wide spread on the team, he should be looked into. Also no doubt. He is not the parent. Not one in their right mind hands over parental rights. You hand them over to be coached and while that does include mentoring, it is no parenting. Your still expected to be able too make good choices.

Head coach has responsibility over his program. No doubt. When something happens wide spread on the team, he should be looked into. Also no doubt. He is not the parent. Not one in their right mind hands over parental rights. You hand them over to be coached and while that does include mentoring, it is no parenting. Your still expected to be able too make good choices.
Agree. While we shouldn't condone any head coach -- Iowa's included -- covering up any indiscretions by members of his/her program that should be reported to the authorities, it's unrealistic and unfair to expect a coach to oversee every aspect of every athlete's life. I've defended Ferentz in similar situations where his athletes have done stupid things. No doubt a coach should set the tone for ethical, responsible behavior in his/her program, but he/she simply can't be aware of everything his/her athletes are doing.

While I'm no Gopher fan by any stretch of the imagination, I think it's unfair to hold J responsible for everything his guys have done outside of the wrestling room. I also agree that the parenting still has to be done by the parents and, while mentoring should be expected from coaches, they can't be expected to assume the responsibility of anything close to a parent.

For everyone exempting Robinson of any errors, I'll concede that you can't be a 24 hour guard for your student/athletes. We may soon find out how this plays out.

Robinson is likely fighting to retain his reputation to ensure his camps continue. But I'd bet a the farm, if I owned one, that he's done as HC as Gopher U.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Dude, no one is exempting anything. There is, currently, no charges or proof of wrong doing to get on about. You are just way too into this where it seems more personal than rivalry. If you have your own beef with the guy, out with it.

No proof? There is a statement by a wrestler that JRob disposed of 1400 pills and had the guys that were dealing write a one page essay. Lying to police is a crime, and what motive could he possibly have to fabricate this? Did he just wake up one day and decide to try to ruin JRob's career for fun with a fictional story. Furthermore, where is JRob's denial he did this? His agent came out with a lengthy statement yet no where did it deny the most serious allegation about disposing of evidence which is obstruction of justice. Fact of the matter is there is proof i.e. evidence. The police were able to obtain search warrants and he was suspended because of that evidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: BuckRussel
No proof? There is a statement by a wrestler that JRob disposed of 1400 pills and had the guys that were dealing write a one page essay. Lying to police is a crime, and what motive could he possibly have to fabricate this? So did he just wake up one day and decide to try to ruin JRob's career for fun with a fictional story. Furthermore, where is JRob's denial he did this? His agent came out with a lengthy statement yet no where did it deny the most serious allegation about disposing of evidence which is obstruction of justice. So keep saying there is no proof until you're blue in the face, but there is proof. The police were able to obtain search warranted and he was suspended because of that proof.
Lots of leaps in that post, and while you may ultimately be proved correct, there is NO public proof beyond what one person has said. Parts of his story, such as the essays, have panned out. Other parts of his story, such as the dealing, are still an unknown. It is true imo that JRob's lack of denial on the dealing is a big elephant in the room, but it is J's prerogative to not address it at this time. Time will tell. Furthermore, his being put on admin leave says nothing about his guilt or innocence. It is a prudent step by the university to at least temporarily remove someone from his duties so that any appearance of impropriety during the investigation doesn't rear its ugly head.

No proof? There is a statement by a wrestler that JRob disposed of 1400 pills and had the guys that were dealing write a one page essay. Lying to police is a crime, and what motive could he possibly have to fabricate this? So did he just wake up one day and decide to try to ruin JRob's career for fun with a fictional story. Furthermore, where is JRob's denial he did this? His agent came out with a lengthy statement yet no where did it deny the most serious allegation about disposing of evidence which is obstruction of justice. So keep saying there is no proof until you're blue in the face, but there is proof. The police were able to obtain search warranted and he was suspended because of that proof.

Are you for real? What motive for a person to lie about someone else? Really?
Someone does not deny publicly a specific charge and that makes them guilty?
I have never said he did not do anything but I am saying wait for a charge or proof. All the above does not mean shit. The cops, j nor the university owe us info until things are done. We know 0 facts except he was suspended and is under investigation for his "handling" of an "alleged" drug ring.

Lots of leaps in that post, and while you may ultimately be proved correct, there is NO public proof beyond what one person has said. Parts of his story, such as the essays, have panned out. Other parts of his story, such as the dealing, are still an unknown. It is true imo that JRob's lack of denial on the dealing is a big elephant in the room, but it is J's prerogative to not address it at this time. Time will tell. Furthermore, his being put on admin leave says nothing about his guilt or innocence. It is a prudent step by the university to at least temporarily remove someone from his duties so that any appearance of impropriety during the investigation doesn't rear its ugly head.

Lot of double talk there. Seems like you agree with me more then you would like to admit. Furthermore, I assure you one person testimony has put many people behind bars. Relying on your logic, a woman could never bring a rape case against a man without multiple witnesses or video. That's some rather antiquated thinking. Oh and you conveniently ignore the fact there were warrants issues by a judge based on sufficient evidence.

No proof? There is a statement by a wrestler that JRob disposed of 1400 pills and had the guys that were dealing write a one page essay. Lying to police is a crime, and what motive could he possibly have to fabricate this? Did he just wake up one day and decide to try to ruin JRob's career for fun with a fictional story. Furthermore, where is JRob's denial he did this? His agent came out with a lengthy statement yet no where did it deny the most serious allegation about disposing of evidence which is obstruction of justice. Fact of the matter is there is proof i.e. evidence. The police were able to obtain search warrants and he was suspended because of that evidence.

Objection your honor...all heresay. Unless you believe everything the media tells you.

Being suspended (with pay) is pro forma in these cases. It gets the individual away from the investigation. This protects both him and the university.

As for the individual, he could be honest as the day is long. He could be pissed at JRob or one of the individuals who might take his spot...having an axe to grind. Like you.

(Short note:I hope you Minne pukes remember that many Hawk fans had integrity in all of this instead of stomping on Goofer balls while you are in the fetal position. I hope JRob can retire with honor but if he or his wrestlers broke the law, well then I hope the opposite. I and many of my dudes are willing to wait and see)

Reactions: Knight563
Az, I'm not a Jrob fan, this is true, and why should I be with what he has said in public about our coaches and wrestlers, but this is bad for wrestling and furthermore, if this goes down the way I think it is, Iowa is going to be the big benefactor out of all this with recruiting. I would much prefer this didn't happen. That being said, I can't for the life of me understand how people can say there is no proof or this is a non story. There has been nothing to discredit these allegations. If JRob denied the destruction of evidence claim and provided some reason why this guy was going after him, I would probably hold off on some of my conclusions, but there hasn't been any of that.

Last edited:
Lot of double talk there. Seems like you agree with me more then you would like to admit. Furthermore, I assure you one person testimony has put many people behind bars. Relying on your logic, a woman could never bring a rape case against a man without multiple witnesses or video. That's some rather antiquated thinking. Oh and you conveniently ignore the fact there were warrants issues by a judge based on sufficient evidence.

The search of J's office and computer was done by university police, not state or local law enforcement. There is no indication that a judge issued a warrant. In fact, since J's office and computer are university property, the university is not required to obtain a search warrant.

Your double talk is me being fair with your post even though as I said, you're over the top in your connection of the dots. And your 'logic' on a woman being raped is not logical. There is more than he said / she said evidence in a rape case 99% of the time. As for the search warrant, that would be fairly easy to get given the fact that Jrob told the AD he had essays written and then refused to give them up voluntarily.

For everyone exempting Robinson of any errors, I'll concede that you can't be a 24 hour guard for your student/athletes. We may soon find out how this plays out.

Robinson is likely fighting to retain his reputation to ensure his camps continue. But I'd bet a the farm, if I owned one, that he's done as HC as Gopher U.
Now that wasn't so hard was it? Ha! He may very well be the fall guy, someone has to be typically. Clearly that could happen.

Obviously JRob didn't want to be done yet, or he would have hung it up already. But I think some of these decisions when the crap hits the fan might be a bit easier if Head Coach Guy is old enough to receive mostly full Social Security benefits already (tops out at 70?). But proud folks don't want to get canned under any circumstances, and definitely not for something like this, so JRob could fight tooth and nail to retain his job, as he should.

Either way it's been a bad stretch for Gopher Athletics. They aren't the first, and won't be the last.

Maybe it's just karma for all those constant "We Hate Iowa" chants? Food for thought.....;)

Your double talk is me being fair with your post even though as I said, you're over the top in your connection of the dots. And your 'logic' on a woman being raped is not logical. There is more than he said / she said evidence in a rape case 99% of the time. As for the search warrant, that would be fairly easy to get given the fact that Jrob told the AD he had essays written and then refused to give them up voluntarily.

So you're saying those essays are some form of important evidence? and you're also saying JRob is refusing to cooperate. Again, sounds like you are agreeing with me.

btw, Without a proper rape kit completed by trained professionals within a certain period of time, much of that evidence is lost or inadmissible. There are numerous articles on this subject, I suggest you educate yourself.

If JRob denied the destruction of evidence claim and provided some reason why this guy was going after him, I would probably hold off on some of my conclusions, but there hasn't been any of that.
JRob is in a legal fight whose conclusion is far from known. Do you really think he's going to expose himself to more legal risk by spilling his guts publicly so that we the fans can get past this issue faster? Like I said, the lack of acknowledgement or denial of the alleged drug ring aspect is curious to me, but you can't make the leap you are making based on that.

So you're saying those essays are some form of important evidence? and you're also saying JRob is refusing to cooperate. Again, sounds like you are agreeing with me.

btw, Without a proper rape kit completed by trained professionals within a certain period of time, much of that evidence is lost or inadmissible. There are numerous articles on this subject, I suggest you educate yourself.
So bruises on her body and his dna (hair/skin) on her clothing/body aren't important. Maybe try to educate yourself before asking others to do the same.

JRob is in a legal fight whose conclusion is far from known. Do you really think he's going to expose himself to more legal risk by spilling his guts publicly so that we the fans can get past this issue faster? Like I said, the lack of acknowledgement or denial of the alleged drug ring aspect is curious to me, but you can't make the leap you are making based on that.

He already has "spilled his guts publicly" by coming out with a rather lengthy statement and his Lawyer felt that wasn't risky. Why omit a denial of the single most important allegation of this case if you're going to make a statement and you didn't do it; there is no down side. That, in my opinion, is essentially an admission.

That being said, I can't for the life of me understand how people can say there is no proof or this is a non story.

Not saying that. In fact, I have believed it's a big story from when it first jumped. But this is being tried in the media and JRob is the big target...not the kids who actually did the crimes. Maybe he covered it up, maybe he didn't. I find it ironic though, that a PSU fan is jumping on the "proof" bandwagon so early on without any real statements from LE or the university but based on media reports.

You keep saying I am basing my opinion on media reports however I am actually basing my opinion on the following facts:

1. Testimony from a wrestler that has already been proven to be accurate with some his accusations. Add to that lying to the police is a crime and there has been no reason put forth as to why he may be fabricating this.

2. Sufficient evidence to support search warrants;

3. Job Suspension; that's a pretty clear statement by the University;

4. No denial on the most serious accusations despite a long detailed statement issued by his attorney.

How you or anyone can say I need more information to form a negative opinion about the situation is beyond me. In fact the opposite situation exists that there is currently no proof that JRob didn't do the things alleged, he hasn't denied it, no one has discredited the witness, it's more blind faith then anything yet I'm the one jumping to conclusions .…and being a Penn State fan is irrelevant to this discussion, especially in my case. I never defended Paterno, in fact I was of the opinion he should of been fired in the 2000s.

Last edited:
The search of J's office and computer was done by university police, not state or local law enforcement. There is no indication that a judge issued a warrant. In fact, since J's office and computer are university property, the university is not required to obtain a search warrant.
That's cool and all but didn't they search his home computer?

That’s the latest from Star Tribune reporters Joe Christensen and Amelia Rayno, fallout from allegations that University of Minnesota wrestlers sold and abused prescription drugs. “University police have been investigating the wrestling team since April 11 and obtained search warrants to probe Robinson’s Plymouth home and personal computer. The university launched its own investigation Tuesday. Coyle said Robinson is on paid administrative leave 'pending the conclusion of the investigation.'”

Not so fast my friend

"Editor’s note: This story originally stated J Robinson’s home had been searched by investigators. Robinson’s agent, James C.W. Bock, and another source have since told the Star Tribune it was Robinson’s campus office, not home, that was searched."

This was in your link. Stash is still good.

"Editor’s note: This story originally stated J Robinson’s home had been searched by investigators. Robinson’s agent, James C.W. Bock, and another source have since told the Star Tribune it was Robinson’s campus office, not home, that was searched."

Whew (JRob exhales). That was close.................;)

Thanks for the correction. I don't care enough about the situation to read the whole thing. I was just going off of memory and than did a quick google search. His stash is safe after all.

This has been my point. The media and the unnamed source are not enough to default to his guilt. Whatever the outcome, I will not be surprised if the source is found to have an axe to grind. Either way, I want to know the truth. I have the patience to wait it out. The media has no integrity anymore. Why trust it.

This has been my point. The media and the unnamed source are not enough to default to his guilt. Whatever the outcome, I will not be surprised if the source is found to have an axe to grind. Either way, I want to know the truth. I have the patience to wait it out. The media has no integrity anymore. Why trust it.
I think most know the media has no integrity. They'll burn anyone and everyone. But in this case your an idiot. I understand we need to wait for the facts and everything but your just being dumb

in today's social media crazed world, with someone always looking for a juicy angle to publicly condemn a big name...... this outcome seems inevitable. JRob seems like an old school, military man with old school ways, trying to do what he thought was right by the kids, the team, and the school with varying levels of loyalty. I don't think that anyone is capable of preventing 100%of things like this, its how you handle them once you are made aware of the events. Some are probably better at handling such events than others. We would probably all handle it a little differently in our own way. I and others can easily say what we "would have done" as arm chair QBs. We can debate whether he is or is not responsible, but I believe he will be held accountable. He is the leader of that sports team and these days leaders are often held accountable in order to stop the social media lynchings. I hope he and the goofers get their day in court and in the end he gets a fair shake, whatever that may be.

I'm not a goofer fan, but I respect JRob and his team. He's done too much good in life to me damn him for this. I'm not saying that he did or didn't made a bad decision(s), but he's I guy that has a good moral foundation that's worked hard in life with good intentions....a great role model.

I think most know the media has no integrity. They'll burn anyone and everyone. But in this case your an idiot. I understand we need to wait for the facts and everything but your just being dumb
A near perfect post. Overgeneralizing, personally insulting, and bad spelling while questioning intelligence.
1:30am drunk posting? Take a break there Buck.

Reactions: 24 so far
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT