ADVERTISEMENT

Uh oh Iowa, about those bridges…

This has been discussed ad nauseum.

Iowa has a disproportionate number of bridges per square mile than any other state. This is due to the farm industry. Many of our bridges are seldom used.

Much ado about nothing.

What a great talking point to describe the states 4,500 bridges in poor condition.

Was there some bridge convention that came through Iowa resulting in this disproportionate number of bridges? Is there something unusual about Iowa’s agricultural infrastructure compared to other farm states?

Agree it’s not an emergency and is certainly an inflated number… but… still seems like a high number…

Reactions: billanole

Iowa has a disproportionate number of bridges per square mile than any other state. This is due to the farm industry. Many of our bridges are seldom used.

Much ado about nothing.
But why not fix them while we've got the money? I understand they aren't heavily used, but they are still needed nonetheless and are still in disrepair. Kicking this can down the road seems stupid to me.

But why not fix them while we've got the money? I understand they aren't heavily used, but they are still needed nonetheless and are still in disrepair. Kicking this can down the road seems stupid to me.
Honestly closing some bridges so that there's a crossing every third mile instead of every mile on county roads sounds like a good plan. That's been happening some already around here. You piss off a few farmers whose field is in the west side of Nitrate Creek but their farm is in the east side and now they have to drive another 15 minutes to get there.

Honestly closing some bridges so that there's a crossing every third mile instead of every mile on county roads sounds like a good plan. That's been happening some already around here. You piss off a few farmers whose field is in the west side of Nitrate Creek but their farm is in the east side and now they have to drive another 15 minutes to get there.
Then we need to do that. If current infrastructure isn't efficient, make it efficient.

It was the movie "The Bridges of Madison County" with
Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep that focused on Iowa
bridges. May we thank these two super stars for their
contribution in making Iowa a great place to live.

Much ado about nothing.
Are you suggesting that the seldom used bridges are needed, or should be closed? Which is it?
Maybe they are needed, and if so, fix the bridges and keep them, or let them eventually fall under a load crossing them.
Another option is to let the farmers be responsible for upkeep.
Iowa could get the farmers to sign waivers regarding liability and forget maintenance, repairs, or replacement. Tax payers win.

Our governor doesn't believe in using surplus to improve the lives of Iowans, she wants to give it back to the wealthy corporations that don't need the help.

Listen, I was 20 minutes away from Minneapolis I-35 bridge collapse and I went down there. Bridge safety is important and Kimmie doesn't get it.

Our governor doesn't believe in using surplus to improve the lives of Iowans, she wants to give it back to the wealthy corporations that don't need the help.

Listen, I was 20 minutes away from Minneapolis I-35 bridge collapse and I went down there. Bridge safety is important and Kimmie doesn't get it.
I know the "only give one to the rich" narrative is fun but didn't she JUST propose the idea of breaks for retired people?

Reactions: abby97

Doesn't sound like it's important to Minneosta, but you do you.

This is true. Iowa plans on using nearly $500M of those federal funds to repair our bridges. Which begs the question: Why did Iowa Rs vote against it?
Because I put more faith in Micheal Jackson just being misunderstood than I do that money actually Making it to the ground. There are other ways of generating money than just printing more dollars and devaluing them in the process.

She trusts Iowans to make the right choice in which bridge to drive over.

Because I put more faith in Micheal Jackson just being misunderstood than I do that money actually Making it to the ground. There are other ways of generating money than just printing more dollars and devaluing them in the process.
This makes no sense.

1. If you truly believe these federal funds will never make it to our bridges, then where is the Iowa R plan to fix the bridges ourselves?

Or 2. If federal funds do make to our bridges, then why did Iowa Rs try to prevent these funds to help us?

Reactions: Jimmy McGill

Except by farmers, who need to go from one field to another.

So, maybe we shouldn't subsidize them....let 'em build & maintain their own.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT