ADVERTISEMENT

Union truckers circle Iowa Capitol in protest of proposed labor legislation

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Truck and car horns blared as they drove laps Wednesday around the Iowa Capitol complex as union members and advocates rallied in opposition to a proposal that would impact Iowa public workers’ collective bargaining rights.

Two semis emblazoned with graphics for the Teamsters union were a part of the caravan of at least two dozen vehicles that circled the complex for roughly an hour, and an Iowa Teamsters leader addressed reporters on the Capitol steps.

The proposed legislation, Senate File 2374, would decertify a public worker collective bargaining unit if the public employer fails to submit to the state a list of union-eligible workers.

Labor advocates have called it a “union-busting” bill because it places bargaining units’ fate in the hands of the employer. Union members compare the proposal with a 2017 law that stripped Iowa public workers of most of their collective bargaining rights.

“When things aren’t broke, don’t fix it,” Jesse Case, secretary-treasurer and principal officer of Teamsters Local 238 in Iowa, said during his remarks to reporters. “The public sector bargaining law wasn’t broken in 2017, and they broke it. And now they want to break it some more. Well guess what: we’ve had enough.”

The Teamsters union has six local chapters in Iowa, Case said, representing roughly 12,000 members in law enforcement, freight, warehouses, county road crews, public works and school bus drivers.

Shortly after the new legislation was introduced, Case recorded a video in which he said Teamsters unions may engage in “rolling” strikes. During Wednesday’s events at the Iowa Capitol, Case said Teamsters members also are considering other options.

Case claimed that some Teamsters members across the state have been working while technically off-duty, and as an example said some public workers are answering work calls even though they are off the clock and not on-call. Case said if state lawmakers pass the latest legislation on collective bargaining, unions will tell those public workers, for example, to stop taking those off-duty calls.

“Our members are not obligated to go above and beyond the call of duty while they’re under attack” from lawmakers, Case said. “And I’m telling you right now, the next time that there’s a union-busting bill signed into law, people across the state will start feeling the effects of service.”

I love how union workers claim they are good for workers and companies, but whenever they don't get want they want, they refuse to work. Sounds like the kind of employee every business wants and every family can rely on.

I love how union workers claim they are good for workers and companies, but whenever they don't get want they want, they refuse to work. Sounds like the kind of employee every business wants and every family can rely on.
Not surprised you expect workers to bend over and take any mistreatment or exploitation an employer doles out. You are that much of a servile bitch.

It’s absolutely horrific when an employee stands up for what’s best for them. I know that all of us on here recognize that what is best for employers, in this case public employers, is the only really important thing. That employees should recognize that they should never speak up about things like working conditions. That they should never seek a unified voice.

It is despicable that these union members are fighting against a law that seeks to silence their collective voice.

On a serious note, what valid public interest does this law serve? What does it do except allow a public agency an avenue to break a union?

On a serious note, what valid public interest does this law serve? What does it do except allow a public agency an avenue to break a union?
I think the proposed law would allow workers to decertify if they wanted. Workers rights to vote are now a bad thing?

Reactions: abby97
I think the proposed law would allow workers to decertify if they wanted. Workers rights to vote are now a bad thing?
It literally has nothing to do with decertifying. Absolutely nothing. You’ve made it plain that you didn’t read the article. You didn’t do any research. You simply support any legislation that the fools in Des Moines propose.

At least according to that article, if an agency doesn’t send in a list of union eligible employees, the union could be decertified. So, the workers would have zero choice in the matter. What do you hate about union workers voting? There’s a decertification process now.

It literally has nothing to do with decertifying. Absolutely nothing. You’ve made it plain that you didn’t read the article. You didn’t do any research. You simply support any legislation that the fools in Des Moines propose.

At least according to that article, if an agency doesn’t send in a list of union eligible employees, the union could be decertified. So, the workers would have zero choice in the matter. What do you hate about union workers voting? There’s a decertification process now.
WTF?

Too bad you've never had a job, so maybe you would realize that not all employers are good people.

And you know that Republicans in the Iowa legislature passed a law requiring a simp,e majority certification vote on a regular basis for public unions right? And you know they rigged that process to make it easier to decertify right? And you know they made it harder for those unions to retain members, by restricting payroll deduction for union dues for instance, right? And you know they only made those changes to the public unions that have historically supported democrats, right?

You knew all that right?

And you know that Republicans in the Iowa legislature passed a law requiring a simp,e majority certification vote on a regular basis for public unions right? And you know they rigged that process to make it easier to decertify right? And you know they made it harder for those unions to retain members, by restricting payroll deduction for union dues for instance, right? And you know they only made those changes to the public unions that have historically supported democrats, right?

You knew all that right?
Rigged the process by having a vote.
Ok

It says decertification right in the start of the article. But it’s not about that.
Uh - ok.
Doubling down huh? Bold move. Please find in that article the word, "decertification". I don’t see it. There is the word decertify, but only in the context that the union would decertify if the public agency didn’t send in the list. So, again, this has nothing to do with members voting. This has everything to do with the ability of a public agency having the ability to decertify a union simply through inactivity on their part.

Workers have the ability to decertify at any point. This bill has nothing to do with that. You going to triple down on being wrong?

Doubling down huh? Bold move. Please find in that article the word, "decertification". I don’t see it. There is the word decertify, but only in the context that the union would decertify if the public agency didn’t send in the list. So, again, this has nothing to do with members voting. This has everything to do with the ability of a public agency having the ability to decertify a union simply through inactivity on their part.

Workers have the ability to decertify at any point. This bill has nothing to do with that. You going to triple down on being wrong?
Gold.
Thanks

Sounds like you are jealous you aren’t in a union.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Love how employers claim they are pro worker But have no hesitation to axe employees. Sounds like the kind of employer everyone wants.

Too bad you've never had a job, so maybe you would realize that not all employers are good people.
Have you considered the problem is you and not your employer? Maybe having you as an employee brings out the worst in people.

Love how employers claim they are pro worker But have no hesitation to axe employees. Sounds like the kind of employer everyone wants.

Love how employees claim they are pro company But have no hesitation to quit without notice for an extra buck or two. Sounds like the kind of employee every employer wants.

This is the essence of employment at will.

You can quit whenever you want; and your employer can decide to "axe" you whenever he wants.

That's fair and square.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
I love when Trad goes full Trad in union threads.

The National Labor Relations Board just ruled that Home Depot unlawfully fired a guy for writing "BLM" on his apron with a Sharpie.

WTF? He wasn't supporting a "union" with his speech here. BLM has NOTHING to do with labor rights.

Joe can't get out of the White House fast enough...

• Love
Reactions: abby97
Love how employees claim they are pro company But have no hesitation to quit without notice for an extra buck or two. Sounds like the kind of employee every employer wants.

This is the essence of employment at will.

You can quit whenever you want; and your employer can decide to "axe" you whenever he wants.

That's fair and square.
Um, employers will fire workers with no notice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT