ADVERTISEMENT

Update: Noah Shannon CLEARED TO PRACTICE. 26 UI student-athletes investigated for online gambling, incl in FB, Men’s BB, Baseball, T&F & Wrestling

Wonder how many non athletes got caught in this “sting” operation at Iowa colleges. Would like to know how many underage students were targeted.

Wonder how many non athletes got caught in this “sting” operation at Iowa colleges. Would like to know how many underage students were targeted.

there needs to be a thorough investigation of this DCI investigation

what sparked the whole damn thing, etc....

lots of rumors; lets see the facts all laid out with a timeline

Did he bet on an Iowa team for sure? Just strange they let him come back and practice before this.

And I will be waiting on the Mighty NCAA to come down hard on old Jimbo.
I believe he admitted to betting on an Iowa womens bball game in the tournament. Hence it says "betting on A TEAM at your school".

Questions????
Can a one-year suspended student athlete use the suspended season as a red shirt & then play the following season; providing the player hasn't already used a red shirt?
Or, if the suspension denied the player his pandemic extra eligibility, can that be used after the suspension year?
Hmmmm, IDK the answers 🤔.
No he can't. "Suspended" means LOSS of a year of eligibility. That would seem to be fairly clear. In top of that Noah has already used those options and this was his last season regardless.

The full text of the tweet below:

More quotes from Kirk Ferentz tonight on the Noah Shannon situation, after he was ruled ineligible for the season (his career) today by the NCAA.

“The humanistic part of it is probably the most disturbing. My takeaway on this whole thing is I’ve long thought the NCAA is just a very big, cumbersome organization that really has a hard time reacting to anything in real time. ... And that's really evident in our sport.”

“Our world has changed so much, and I don't think they're taking that into account. He didn't commit a crime, didn't bet on an Iowa football game. Punishment, yes. And he’s been very straightforward with his remarks (and) very cooperative with everybody that spoke with him. I don't know what else you can do. It just seems like it's really a very dramatic penalty for something that I'll predict two years from now, it's going to be looked at (as) not that big a deal. Well, let me rephrase that. Two years? Maybe five with this organization.”

“It's history now. And we'll move forward, and Noah will move forward. He’s a great young guy. He is still part of our team. I have such a great respect for him. He's a really good football player, but more importantly, he's a great kid and he's done everything he could to get back and ready. My first thoughts are with him and his family, it’s just very disappointing. But life goes on. It won't be the first bucket of crap he's got to deal with.”

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Well if the NCAA wasn't so hypocritical, they would ban advertisements during football games from Draft Kings and all the other players. They would also prohibit broadcasting the over/under that seems to be everywhere during a game. If a network chooses to air that, they should "ban" the network just like they did for Shannon!

Here is the full text of the tweet that follows:

And now an official statement through the UI from Kirk Ferentz, who isn't letting up on the Noah Shannon ruling.

“I am heartbroken for Noah (Shannon) and his family that the NCAA has come to this conclusion. Noah did not break any laws. He did not commit any crimes. And yet he is being severely over-punished by a membership committee that refuses to see perspective or use common sense. I have said many times that I think it is peculiar that the state of Iowa is uniquely the focus of this investigation. Noah is being sidelined because the NCAA is ruling on an investigation that they did not instigate, using an uneven system of justice to severely punish an excellent young man. It is just wrong.”

Did ALL of this come about because of either an Iowa or Iowa state parent whose credit card was used w/out permission to gamble and then they filed a credit dispute/police report and this triggered everything? Swear I saw that rumor floating around this summer...

NCAA must be run by the same geniuses as health insurance billing. It explains why they wait months to decide anything but as soon as they do they expect immediate payment. No thanks, I'll wait the equal amount of time to submit my end of the agreement.

Note that Noah placed ONE freakin' bet on the Iowa women's basketball team.

The story from last night:

Iowa coaches Terry Brands, Kirk Ferentz blast NCAA, are 'battling for logic to prevail'

Chad Leistikow
Des Moines Register
Published 9:24 pm CT Nov 8, 2023

The NCAA dropped some news Wednesday that affected athletes at the state of Iowa's two biggest universities, and it wasn't good news.

The governing body issued guidance that athletes who placed any wager on their own school (but not their own sport) would be subject to a loss of one year of eligibility, which was a reduction of the previous punishment of a lifetime ban from NCAA sports. However, indications a few weeks ago were that those athletes would be reinstated immediately.

That reversal irked some heavy-hitting coaches at the University of Iowa, who sounded off with criticism to what they felt was an outdated NCAA.

f8836c22-6977-4567-9941-f07b2cb40234-230120-Nebraska_Iowa_wr-049.JPG

Iowa associate wrestling coach Terry Brands is calling for an overhaul to what he feels are outdated guidlines surrounding sports gambling from the NCAA. His son, Nelson, is facing a suspension that would end his Iowa career.

For Iowa football, the career effectively ended for defensive tackle Noah Shannon, who reportedly placed a single wager on an Iowa women's basketball game.

For Iowa wrestling, four senior starters were impacted by the ruling:

157-pounder Cobe Siebrecht,
174-pounder Nelson Brands,
184-pounder Abe Assad and
heavyweight Tony Cassioppi.

More: Who fills the void left by Iowa wrestling's suspended athletes?

Iowa State football and wrestling also had athletes affected.

Brands' father, Terry Brands, is Iowa wrestling's longtime associate head coach.

Here is what Brands told the Des Moines Register in a text-message statement on Wednesday night:

"Hawkeye nation and our brothers from Iowa State are battling for logic to prevail in an unprecedented, standalone struggle," Brands wrote. "Only athletes from 2 institutions in Iowa have been targeted. No other D1 institution in this country has been targeted. This is an NCAA membership committee that has a chance to modernize our NCAA and they continue not to account for a rapidly changing culture.

"The penalty for athletes who did not break any laws, did not bet on themselves, did not bet on their sport somehow is the same as for those who compromised the integrity of college athletics. Cass, Nelson, Cobe and Abe have been steadfast through this all and will remain so. We have appeals left with two of these awesome individuals and will never rest on working for an overhaul of an outdated NCAA and its leadership."

Earlier Wednesday, Iowa football coach Ferentz teed off on the NCAA during his weekly radio show, arguing that the organization has been way too slow to react to the times during the past decade. Then, via an official statement, he swung again.

“I am heartbroken for Noah (Shannon) and his family that the NCAA has come to this conclusion," Ferentz said. "Noah did not break any laws. He did not commit any crimes. And yet he is being severely over-punished by a membership committee that refuses to see perspective or use common sense. I have said many times that I think it is peculiar that the state of Iowa is uniquely the focus of this investigation. Noah is being sidelined because the NCAA is ruling on an investigation that they did not instigate, using an uneven system of justice to severely punish an excellent young man. It is just wrong.”

The NCAA reinforced he’s suspended for the season. Conference Championships and bowl games are considered postseason, meaning after the season. Could he return for the conference championship and bowl game? It’s a technicality, but what a great middle finger would that be?

Edit: I’ve seen the NCAA say suspended frigate season and one year of eligibility. The latter may be more difficult to plead ignorance.

Last edited:
Probably some woman in the DCI that hates sports and was out to get the 2 biggest sports institutions in the state.

IIRC, one of the defense lawyers claimed that at least one DCI agent went rogue

I still think there should be full transparancy where a timeline is presented to the public; ie, what sparked the whole investigation (and what was that date), why did they target only male sports, why did they only target Iowa & Iowa State (and not UNI, Drake, etc), etc.

Imagine placing a legal bet as a legal ADULT on a sport unrelated to the sport you you play and being suspended for a year. Makes zero sense... Like everything else that the NCAA FAILS at.

Jimbo has recruiting violations and sits a few games against cream puffs.

This really pisses me off
Agreed. I wonder how much of a warning was provided to these athletes? Given the outcomes, should probably be mentioned consistently with clear communication on penalty for betting. Should have just told them don't even bet on any games until your eligibility is complete.

I still think there should be full transparancy where a timeline is presented to the public; ie, what sparked the whole investigation (and what was that date), why did they target only male sports, why did they only target Iowa & Iowa State (and not UNI, Drake, etc), etc.

There’s a reason the defense lawyer tried to subpoena the Dubuque Co DCI prosecutor. I’d doubt the lawyer just picked that guy’s name out of a hat

Well if the NCAA wasn't so hypocritical, they would ban advertisements during football games from Draft Kings and all the other players. They would also prohibit broadcasting the over/under that seems to be everywhere during a game. If a network chooses to air that, they should "ban" the network just like they did for Shannon!

^^^^ this ^^^^

This has been a while ago, but supposedly they did a sweep of Drake and UNI and found nothing.

Or I should say, whatever they "swept for" did not reveal any illegal activity or violations of NCAA policy.

Reactions: Franisdaman
This has been a while ago, but supposedly they did a sweep of Drake and UNI and found nothing.

Or I should say, whatever they "swept for" did not reveal any illegal activity or violations of NCAA policy.

I find it highly unlikely that NO students were gambling at those universities. But don't doubt that it's what the DCI is saying

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT