ADVERTISEMENT

Update: Noah Shannon CLEARED TO PRACTICE. 26 UI student-athletes investigated for online gambling, incl in FB, Men’s BB, Baseball, T&F & Wrestling

Remember this, from October 10th, when Noah was cleared to practice, back on the roster, and would SOON be allowed to play?

That was 29 days ago!

Last edited:
OIP.GYxQAd-gkSHRTj6QpvAX5wAAAA

they allowed him to practice; why can't he play???

If athletes shouldn’t gamble then gambling organizations shouldn’t be allowed to have commercials during broadcasts.
The NCAA and B1G are all about protecting the integrity of the game and showing care and compassion for it's amateur student-athletes.

For example, the B1G announced the US Integrity Partnership and Gameday Availability Report for the 2023 season.

Just like the pros have.

But for amateurs.

The NCAA and B1G are all about protecting the integrity of the game and showing care and compassion for it's amateur student-athletes.

For example, the B1G announced the US Integrity Partnership and Gameday Availability Report for the 2023 season.

Just like the pros have.

But for amateurs.
Lol....... Integrity? Lol... The only real use the "gameday availability report", is for use by gamblers. I'd love an explanation on how that is "showing care and compassion for its student athletes" It has nothing to do with that whatsoever.....

Hypothetically, let’s say we meet Michigan in the CCG. And during that time the NCAA still hasn’t cleared Shannon to play and hasn’t handed out any punishment to Michigan. I say play him. If they try to punish Iowa for it you’ve just exposed how much of a bias there really is within the NCAA. Then we sit back and watch it all burn to the ground…🍿

Hypothetically, let’s say we meet Michigan in the CCG. And during that time the NCAA still hasn’t cleared Shannon to play and hasn’t handed out any punishment to Michigan. I say play him. If they try to punish Iowa for it you’ve just exposed how much of a bias there really is within the NCAA. Then we sit back and watch it all burn to the ground…🍿

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Governance_Update.png

Governance 11/8/2023

5:46:00 PM
Meghan Durham Wright

DI approves modifications to wagering-related reinstatement guidelines

Changes apply to cases in which sudent-athletes placed bets on other teams at their schools

The Division I Council Coordination Committee on Wednesday adjusted the guidelines for student-athlete reinstatement cases in which student-athletes wager on other teams at their own schools. An adjustment to reinstatement guidelines was requested by the Conference Commissioners Association in early October and was supported in concept by the Division I Council at its Oct. 4 meeting.

Effective immediately, reinstatement guidelines for student-athletes who wager on teams at their school — excluding their own team — will start at requiring one season of ineligibility and a loss of one year of eligibility. Student-athletes will also be required to participate in sports wagering rules and prevention education as a condition of reinstatement. Previous guidelines, as approved in June, prescribed permanent ineligibility for those cases. The adjusted guidelines may be applied to cases in which student-athletes are currently serving suspensions related to wagering on a different team at their own school that were reported on or after May 2, 2023.

"To be clear, Division I members do not encourage student-athletes to engage in sports wagering at any level, and the actions today to modify reinstatement conditions should not be interpreted as support for wagering behaviors," said Jon Steinbrecher, chair of the Council Coordination Committee and commissioner of the Mid-American Conference. "NCAA members continue to prioritize integrity of competition and felt that reinstatement conditions for violations of wagering rules should reflect that focus and, when possible, also accommodate opportunities for preventative education."

The adjustment to reinstatement guidelines is the first step in membership action to review NCAA rules around sports wagering more broadly. Under current NCAA rules, it remains impermissible for student-athletes, coaches and athletics administrators to engage in sports wagering in any sport sponsored by the NCAA, including collegiate and professional sports.

"The council agreed with Division I commissioners that the reinstatement conditions for wagering violations in limited circumstances should be adjusted," Steinbrecher said. "Member schools need to fully examine NCAA wagering legislation overall — particularly in light of changes in recent years to federal and state laws — but the council agreed that additional changes should not be made until potential changes to rules are contemplated."

Governance_Update.png

Governance 11/8/2023

5:46:00 PM
Meghan Durham Wright

DI approves modifications to wagering-related reinstatement guidelines

Changes apply to cases in which sudent-athletes placed bets on other teams at their schools

The Division I Council Coordination Committee on Wednesday adjusted the guidelines for student-athlete reinstatement cases in which student-athletes wager on other teams at their own schools. An adjustment to reinstatement guidelines was requested by the Conference Commissioners Association in early October and was supported in concept by the Division I Council at its Oct. 4 meeting.

Effective immediately, reinstatement guidelines for student-athletes who wager on teams at their school — excluding their own team — will start at requiring one season of ineligibility and a loss of one year of eligibility. Student-athletes will also be required to participate in sports wagering rules and prevention education as a condition of reinstatement. Previous guidelines, as approved in June, prescribed permanent ineligibility for those cases. The adjusted guidelines may be applied to cases in which student-athletes are currently serving suspensions related to wagering on a different team at their own school that were reported on or after May 2, 2023.

"To be clear, Division I members do not encourage student-athletes to engage in sports wagering at any level, and the actions today to modify reinstatement conditions should not be interpreted as support for wagering behaviors," said Jon Steinbrecher, chair of the Council Coordination Committee and commissioner of the Mid-American Conference. "NCAA members continue to prioritize integrity of competition and felt that reinstatement conditions for violations of wagering rules should reflect that focus and, when possible, also accommodate opportunities for preventative education."

The adjustment to reinstatement guidelines is the first step in membership action to review NCAA rules around sports wagering more broadly. Under current NCAA rules, it remains impermissible for student-athletes, coaches and athletics administrators to engage in sports wagering in any sport sponsored by the NCAA, including collegiate and professional sports.

"The council agreed with Division I commissioners that the reinstatement conditions for wagering violations in limited circumstances should be adjusted," Steinbrecher said. "Member schools need to fully examine NCAA wagering legislation overall — particularly in light of changes in recent years to federal and state laws — but the council agreed that additional changes should not be made until potential changes to rules are contemplated."

I'm confused................doesn't this mean he can't come back???

Yeah, I think Noah is officially out of options & won't play this season

He's done. 1 year suspension and loss of that year of eligibility.

• Sad
Reactions: Franisdaman
Questions????
Can a one-year suspended student athlete use the suspended season as a red shirt & then play the following season; providing the player hasn't already used a red shirt?
Or, if the suspension denied the player his pandemic extra eligibility, can that be used after the suspension year?
Hmmmm, IDK the answers 🤔.

Imagine placing a legal bet as a legal ADULT on a sport unrelated to the sport you you play and being suspended for a year. Makes zero sense... Like everything else that the NCAA FAILS at.

Jimbo has recruiting violations and sits a few games against cream puffs.

This really pisses me off
An Iowa football player is just as likely to have friends on other college teams and have access to info on those teams to place a bet, but no we will punish the hell out of a guy for placing a bet on Iowa's women's team.

Business as usual I guess. Cruel to lead Noah and the rest of the team on like that though. The NCAA should be ashamed. If they weren’t already a joke before they sure are one now.

Reactions: bIhawk
A question????
Can a one-year suspended student athlete use the suspended season as a red shirt & then play the following season; providing the player hasn't already used a red shirt?
Or, if the suspension denied the player his pandemic extra eligibility, can that be used after the suspension year?
Hmmmm, IDK the answers 🤔.
This is a simple way to look at it:

A year of eligibility granted is a year of eligibility. A redshirt is not a year of eligibility used (hence, 5 years to completed 4 years of eligibility).

The NCAA added a fifth year of eligibility to all athletes as a result of Covid, so that expanded things to 6 years to finish 5 years of eligibility.

The redshirt is not eligibility. And the Covid rule granted an extra year.

It remains 6 for 5 for those enrolled and impacted during Covid.

This announcement states the athlete lose one of those eligibility years.

Noah's inside info on Iowa women's basketball was that Caitlyn Clark is good!!!! Lol.

I'm submitting to my employer that I placed bets on the Iowa Women (had a friend in Iowa City that said Caitlin was good). I'll fall on the "suspended with pay" sword. And come back from suspension a better man.

The full text of the tweet:

Looks to be bad news, as Kirk Ferentz feared, for Noah Shannon.

Iowa wrestlers, too.

Per NCAA guidelines released moments ago,

"Effective immediately, reinstatement guidelines for student-athletes who wager on teams at their school — excluding their own team — will start at requiring one season of ineligibility and a loss of one year of eligibility."

Noah's inside info on Iowa women's basketball was that Caitlyn Clark is good!!!! Lol.
If it was WBB, I would simply inquire as to the circumstances and results of the game he bet on. If he had inside information and there were injuries, etc., and the women lost that would be a thing.

Highly doubt that was the situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT