ADVERTISEMENT

Updated: B1G Tiers if OU/UW/Cal/Stanford join

Football

Tier 1. OSU, USC and UM (sometimes)
Tier 2: Iowa, Wisky, PSU, Oregon, UM (sometimes)
Tier 3: Illinois, MSU, UM (sometimes)
Tier 4: UCLA, UW, Purdue, Minn
Tier 5: Nebraska, Rutgers, NW, Indiana, MD
Funny that you'd put UM in the 2nd and 3rd tier "sometimes" , and yet have USC in tier1? Really. I just don't get all this slobbering over USC to this point, and I would most assuredly not put them as a more consistent "power" then Michigan. I mean the men of Troy may indeed rise again, and just maybe actually playing a half dozen top 20 defenses EVERY year, and maybe they aren't what everybody assumes they are.

I'm a Hawk fan through and through BUT I do live in Missouri, so to USC and UCLA, I'll just say, "Show me".....

Much like Nebraska, I think we will see USC, as well as the other Pac 12 teams, struggle more with the style of play, road environments and of course the elements. That of course depends on scheduling as the unfortunate part about all of this is that the more teams that get added to the conference means the more unbalanced the schedules are going to be. But don't think I don't want to see USC come to Iowa, or go to Wisconsin in mid to late November. I has always pissed me off that B1G teams have to go out to the Rose Bowl and play a home team.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
The numbers alone make it tough. But...at least we'll be seeing big boy games every week. None of this Western Michigan and FCS crap. Every game against a name P5 team would be cool.
I would love it if there was only one non-con and 11 conference games but that ain’t happening until the SEC moves off of 8 games.

So long as USC, UCLA, Stanford, Nebby, all go to the East. It will be fun. That would give the West Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana as a trade... ;)

• Haha
Here is my take on the expansion
West Division
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Utah
Cal
AZ

Midwest
Iowa
IL
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Purdue
Indiana

East
Michigan
Michigan St
Ohio
Penn St
Maryland
Rutgers
Florida St
Clemson
Every team plays each other in there Divisions. Then every team will play 1 team out of each division. That will make 10 games played. The Big 10 playoffs will consist of 3 division winners and an at large team. What do you guys think

West Division
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Utah
Cal
AZ

Midwest
Iowa
IL
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Purdue
Indiana

East
Michigan
Michigan St
Ohio
Penn St
Maryland
Rutgers
Florida St
Clemson
Every team plays each other in there Divisions. Then every team will play 1 team out of each division. That will make 10 games played. The Big 10 playoffs will consist of 3 division winners and an at large team. What do you guys think
Arizona and Utah won't be joining the B1G.

West Division
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Utah
Cal
AZ

Midwest
Iowa
IL
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Purdue
Indiana

East
Michigan
Michigan St
Ohio
Penn St
Maryland
Rutgers
Florida St
Clemson
Throw Notre Dame into the Midwest and you have an even 24

West Division
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Utah
Cal
AZ

Midwest
Iowa
IL
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Purdue
Indiana

East
Michigan
Michigan St
Ohio
Penn St
Maryland
Rutgers
Florida St
Clemson
I am not criticizing your take at all as it makes total sense under this format, but really what is the difference between calling all of them B1G East, Midwest and West instead of B1G and Pac 10 or 12 or whatever? These super conferences can add all of the teams they want but at the end of the day they can only play so many games. So what does it really matter if a team is in your conference and you don't play them? I understand why they are doing it, $$$$$$$$$, but for us fans it doesn't make any sense other than being able to watch these west coast teams on the Big Ten Network.

Reactions: Hawkeyes19
I am not criticizing your take at all as it makes total sense under this format, but really what is the difference between calling all of them B1G East, Midwest and West instead of B1G and Pac 10 or 12 or whatever? These super conferences can add all of the teams they want but at the end of the day they can only play so many games. So what does it really matter if a team is in your conference and you don't play them? I understand why they are doing it, $$$$$$$$$, but for us fans it doesn't make any sense other than being able to watch these west coast teams on the Big Ten Network.
I'm old school. I'm all for bringing back college football 80s style

West Division
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Utah
Cal
AZ

Midwest
Iowa
IL
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Purdue
Indiana

East
Michigan
Michigan St
Ohio
Penn St
Maryland
Rutgers
Florida St
Clemson
Their.

• Haha
Football

Tier 1. OSU, USC and UM (sometimes)
Tier 2: Iowa, Wisky, PSU, Oregon, UM (sometimes)
Tier 3: Illinois, MSU, UM (sometimes)
Tier 4: UCLA, UW, Purdue, Minn
Tier 5: Nebraska, Rutgers, NW, Indiana, MD
I'd have Washington in tier 3 with Iowa, MSU, and USC, move Illinois down. Tier 2 I'd have Michigan, Wisky, Oregon, PSU. Tier 1 OSU by themselves.

Ranked in relevance today with a clear distinction on tiers but also rankings within tiers. My view factoring most recent success, 5 year history, historical success and branding.

Tier 1

OSU
Michigan
USC

Tier 2

Penn St
Oregon

Tier 3

Wisconsin
Iowa
Michigan St

Tier 4

Washington
Nebraska
UCLA
Minnesota

Tier 5

Maryland
Purdue
Illinois

Tier 6

Northwestern

Tier 7

Indiana
Rutgers

Ranked in relevance today with a clear distinction on tiers but also rankings within tiers. My view factoring most recent success, 5 year history, historical success and branding.

Tier 1

OSU
Michigan
USC

Tier 2

Penn St
Oregon

Tier 3

Wisconsin
Iowa
Michigan St

Tier 4

Washington
Nebraska
UCLA
Minnesota

Tier 5

Maryland
Purdue
Illinois

Tier 6

Northwestern

Tier 7

Indiana
Rutgers
Knock usc down 1 tier and I’d say that’s a pretty fair rankings

The numbers alone make it tough. But...at least we'll be seeing big boy games every week. None of this Western Michigan and FCS crap. Every game against a name P5 team would be cool.
I would like to see us off-load ISU. That game is more archaic than the conference alignments of 20 years ago. It does not fit in with anything that is going on these days.

I would like to see us off-load ISU. That game is more archaic than the conference alignments of 20 years ago. It does not fit in with anything that is going on these days.
This is what our schedule could probably look like in 2024:

Illinois State
Iowa State
Troy
At Indiana
Michigan
At Minnesota
At Oregon/Washington
UCLA/USC
At Maryland
Wisconsin
At Illinois
Nebraska

West Division
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Utah
Cal
AZ

Midwest
Iowa
IL
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Purdue
Indiana

East
Michigan
Michigan St
Ohio
Penn St
Maryland
Rutgers
Florida St
Clemson

You kicked Minnesota out of the B1G altogether?

If you play every team in your 8 team division and one each from the other two divisions, that would be a 9 game B1G schedule. Not 10.

• Haha
This is what our schedule could probably look like in 2024:

Illinois State
Iowa State
Troy
At Indiana
Michigan
At Minnesota
At Oregon/Washington
UCLA/USC
At Maryland
Wisconsin
At Illinois
Nebraska
That schedule could push KF to hang it up after the 2024 or 25 season.
I wonder if we can sustain the success we have grown accustomed to going forward.
Someone has to lose.
I fear a bunch of 5-5 conference records in the next few seasons.
This year is the last dance for the Hawks...go out with a bang, Hawks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT