ADVERTISEMENT

Updates on Team. Per Fran, Connor is 6th Man. Starters are Joe, JBO, Patrick, Keegan, Filip.

Franisdaman

HB King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Excerpts from a Sep 20 HawkCentral article:

It's one of the deepest squads Fran has fielded at Iowa.

"It may be the most depth we've ever had," McCaffery said. "We still have (Connor McCaffery) and (Jordan Bohannon), two veteran guys who've been through the wars and are versatile but you look at our roster and I can go pretty deep. I feel pretty comfortable."

Health Updates:

Entering the off-season, three key players underwent surgery: Joe Toussaint (ankle), Ahron Ulis (wrist) and Connor McCaffery (hips).

On Monday, McCaffery revealed that forwards Kris Murray and Filip Rebraca missed time over the summer with injuries and illnesses (non-COVID related).

Patrick McCaffery is currently nursing a sprained ankle and is out.

With six players in and out at various times, McCaffery can't recall many times if any that the entire team was together during the preseason. He recalls a time two years ago where injuries hit the team hard but believes this year's team is better equipped to handle it.

"I don't know if we've had our whole team, no," McCaffery said. "This is really one of the deeper teams we've had so at least you feel like you can kind of absorb that. Two years ago, we had a really good team, didn't have a lot of depth and it hurt us."

Every player mentioned but Patrick McCaffery is back now and a full-go.

The player who's had the longest road to recovery: Connor McCaffery still plans to play baseball this year health pending.

Connor's New Role

"You'll see Connor's role be a lot different," McCaffery said. "His job description last year was 'I'll screen for guys, I'll feed the post and move it to (Wieskamp) and (Bohannon)' but now he'll have to maybe play a different role and look for his shot more He's shooting the ball well right now."

Who will Step Up?

"You tend to look at Kris Murray," McCaffery said. "He didn't play much last year, he's a guy who I think is really talented and is playing well as is Keegan (Murray) who we saw excel.

"With Patrick, I think he's ready to take that next step and step in for Joe."

Almost every returning player will be in a new role this year: Jordan Bohannon sliding over to shooting guard, Toussaint and Ulis vying for starting point guard minutes to Keegan Murray stepping into a more dominant role on offense to name a few.

McCaffery doesn't have questions about team personnel, the challenge is how to put together old parts in new positions to form a cohesive unit.

"Figuring out a starting lineup, what rotations will look like," McCaffery said. "Are we going to play more guys? I think we're going to up-tempo our defense which is going to require more substitutions.

"I think the other thing is to build confidence as players fall into new roles. Keegan was tremendous last year but now he's got to be different and he knows that. It's a new opportunity for Patrick, Kris Murray and Filip (Rebraca)."

Expect Keegan Murray to Take the Next Step

This year, McCaffery expects a big offensive leap.

"I've been really impressed with him," McCaffery said. "He's kind of got the green light to take it coast-to-coast, shoot three's, rip-and-drive so we'll be going to him a lot more and I think he's getting more and more comfortable in that role."

The biggest question mark surrounding Murray's game is perimeter shooting. McCaffery was complimentary of that aspect throughout the preseason and somewhat attributed his low shooting numbers last year (29% from three) as not having many opportunities.

Through Iowa's recent history, the offense has flown through the best player (Peter Jok, Tyler Cook and Garza, for example), by all accounts it appears that Murray is primed for that role this year.

"He just kind of plays the game the right way," McCaffery said. "His role will change so he's got to be more aggressive which he's trying to be. You have to smart with that and I think he's trying to execute that as best he can."

Newcomers' Roles

Fran will also rely on the three newcomers: the North Dakota transfer Rebraca and true freshmen Riley Mulvey and Payton Sandfort to contribute.

Rebraca comes to Iowa as a two-time All-Summit League selection and McCaffery confirmed the 6-foot-9 big will be a "key part" of their plans this season.

"He's got a really complete skill set for a big guy," McCaffery said. "He can dribble, pass, shoot and stretch the floor. He's got a real good feel for how to play."

Mulvey and Sandfort have yet to play a collegiate game but both have something Iowa immediately needs: Mulvey has size (6-foot-11, 245 pounds) and Sandfort brings shooting ability. Mulvey, who reclassified and joined Iowa a year early this summer, recently released a photo of himself via his Twitter account where he appears to have gained significant weight.

"Payton has looked really good," McCaffery said. "Riley Mulvey is coming around. He really can run for a guy who's almost seven feet tall. He's put on a little bit of weight, is a little bit more physical and he's adjusting and is trying to figure things out.

"Those guys in particular are guys that we're looking at to help this team in a variety of ways."

The Nonconference Schedule

At first glance, Iowa's 2021-22 schedule sets up nicely for early success with six consecutive games at home with an average KenPom.com rating of 275.5.

That was intentional.

Iowa has several returning players but a slew of younger players and for the most part, everyone regardless of age is stepping into a new role. Last year's team with established college stars like Garza and Wieskamp could lead Iowa against No. 1 Gonzaga on CBS but this is a new team.

The Hawkeyes will still face a tough test against Virginia in the ACC-Big Ten challenge on Nov. 29 but prior to that, the schedule shapes up favorably to figure out rotations and build confidence.

"You're going to try and play more home games when you have a younger team," McCaffery said. "The thought process this year was to kind of figure our team out and let these young guys an opportunity to develop early, at home and the obviously it gets a lot tougher when you move on."

Other scheduling notes: the first official practice is set for Sept. 29 and team media day on Oct. 11.

The FULL Story:

What about Josh Olegundle (sorry...last name probably wrong)? Is he going to get minutes? I'm curious what progress he's making.

I just googled Fran Mccafrey deepest team and these 2 article popped up. I’m sure if I dig deeper I can find more quotes like this. So we have 3 articles from 3 different seasons with Fran using this quote.

I just googled Fran Mccafrey deepest team and these 2 article popped up. I’m sure if I dig deeper I can find more quotes like this. So we have 3 articles from 3 different seasons with Fran using this quote.

this is his 12th season; you said he says this every year

you have 9 more seasons to go :)

He does?

From the story:

"Two years ago, we had a really good team, didn't have a lot of depth and it hurt us."
I also specifically remember him wanting more from the depth in 15-16. When the bench performed well early in B1G play, they were really good. Then, they fell off a cliff and the team regressed.

He praised the depth in 17-18, but that was obviously wrong. They had forward depth, but none in the backcourt and the team couldn’t do anything because of it.

At first glance, I think the depth in 13-14, 20-21 was better. But those teams had more returning starters.

We’ve seen his hyperbole be right or wrong before. We’ll wait and see.

this is his 12th season; you said he says this every year

you have 9 more seasons to go :)
You’re right, but I understand Bruno’s point about “coach-speak.”

In this case, I think Fran really does have depth. I think Iowa should also be more balanced scoring (don’t have the numbers in front of me but I’m guessing Garza and Weezy had a large percentage of Iowa’s points last season…Captain Obvious, I know). The question is who’s going to step up and score in double figures. There are quite a few candidates this year, and I’m hopeful three or four guys will average 10+ a game.

Of course, defense, as usual, will be the biggest question mark coming into this season.

Reactions: Franisdaman
You’re right, but I understand Bruno’s point about “coach-speak.”

In this case, I think Fran really does have depth. I think Iowa should also be more balanced scoring (don’t have the numbers in front of me but I’m guessing Garza and Weezy had a large percentage of Iowa’s points last season…Captain Obvious, I know). The question is who’s going to step up and score in double figures. There are quite a few candidates this year, and I’m hopeful three or four guys will average 10+ a game.

Of course, defense, as usual, will be the biggest question mark coming into this season.

the opposing teams are going to focus on JBo & Keegan, imo.

I think they are going to dare everybody else to shoot jumpers.

we'll find out in a couple months.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder

3 years out of 12. Keep trying.
🙂

Reactions: perryhawk
Fran is prone to hyperbole and that's fine- some coaches are talkers, while some seem to dislike speaking to the media. Both styles can work.

But it isn't inconsistent saying he expects one team to be the deepest he's had at Iowa, then saying it again a few years later. As disappointing as the 17-18 team turned out, most of us expected them to be deep and good.

Fran is prone to hyperbole and that's fine- some coaches are talkers, while some seem to dislike speaking to the media. Both styles can work.

But it isn't inconsistent saying he expects one team to be the deepest he's had at Iowa, then saying it again a few years later. As disappointing as the 17-18 team turned out, most of us expected them to be deep and good.

He builds his team up and fills them with confidence. The horror

Maybe I read the article too fast and missed it but I didn’t see Josh O mentioned at all. Am I reading too much into that?

I think (hope) recruiting has been better the last few years in that we have had fewer misses. As a result, all of the players on the team can play. It then follows that the team has better depth. In past years the team has had one or more top end players that have been better than what we may have on this team (time will tell). So while depth may be better, this team may have a lack of star power.

I think (hope) recruiting has been better the last few years in that we have had fewer misses. As a result, all of the players on the team can play. It then follows that the team has better depth. In past years the team has had one or more top end players that have been better than what we may have on this team (time will tell). So while depth may be better, this team may have a lack of star power.
I really think that Keegan and JoBo can be considered stars. One if a great shooter and the other is already on draft lists as a potential 1st rounder.

I know Fran tends to oversell the team at times (unlike Kirk), but I like the makeup of this team and think they may overachieve this season and exceed expectations. Can't wait to get back in Carver!

My guess from afar is that we have the forwards/front line to be pretty decent..so I am guessing that it all comes down to how well our guards play.

Reactions: doug3386
My guess from afar is that we have the forwards/front line to be pretty decent..so I am guessing that it all comes down to how well our guards play.
Pretty much the same guards as last year but the youngsters have a year under their belts. That bodes well for Iowa, IMHO.

Reactions: perryhawk
I like the team so much I already have NCAA expectations. It will be a new group but maybe McC has the program at a point that the boys can maintain quality play even when hit with a the loss of team leaders/best players.

We have some highly regarded recruits now stepping into new roles, especially with Patrick, Joey and Ahron and Riley having 4*s somewhere. We have at least one guy that has all Big Ten potential this season-Keegan. Everything about the team says they can play well in an up tempo game but also defend better that the recently successful Iowa teams.

This where we all say "Go Hawks!!!" and drop the mic.

Also, no comment on Tony Perkins??
images

Reactions: HawkRugged17
Fran does go over the top sometimes. Knowing that you just have to take what he says in that context.

I'm interested in seeing how the minutes distribution plays out. Keegan is the one guy I'd expect to be on the floor 30+ per game. Much less certainty as to what the rest will look like.

Unfortunately, this team reminds me a little of the disappointing 17-18 team. Lots of promising underclassmen, but the upperclassmen on that team underachieved (not a talented group to start) and this team has lost most of it's great seniors and juniors. Really only JBo and Connor to lead the troops and I'm not sure they will be enough. If McCaffery gets this squad to the NCAA's, he will have done one hell of a job.

Unfortunately, this team reminds me a little of the disappointing 17-18 team. Lots of promising underclassmen, but the upperclassmen on that team underachieved (not a talented group to start) and this team has lost most of it's great seniors and juniors. Really only JBo and Connor to lead the troops and I'm not sure they will be enough. If McCaffery gets this squad to the NCAA's, he will have done one hell of a job.
I will respectfully disagree on this. I think there are a couple pretty significant differences with this years team. First, overall athleticism at all positions is better. The other thing I like is lineup flexibility. We can play with a smaller, guard oriented lineup with long athletic guys at the #4 and #5. We can also play long at all positions without much of a drop in athleticism. It's going to be a fun year.

[/QUOTE]

As athletic as Cook was during his time at Iowa, opponents didn't have to worry about him playing outside the box, and was a one dimensional player that teams basically knew what his MO was and prepared accordingly. I'm much more excited about this team just because of the athleticism and diversity of the roster and the various lineups that Fran can put on the floor at any one time. The season can't start fast enough, can't wait....

I will respectfully disagree on this. I think there are a couple pretty significant differences with this years team. First, overall athleticism at all positions is better. The other thing I like is lineup flexibility. We can play with a smaller, guard oriented lineup with long athletic guys at the #4 and #5. We can also play long at all positions without much of a drop in athleticism. It's going to be a fun year.
No, I get your point, but these young athletic guards have proven exactly zero when thrown into the fire full time. We really don't even know if they are reliable shooters. That 17-18 team had a young Moss, who scored in double digits as well as some youngster named JBo, who had his best scoring year of his career. I sincerely hope I am underestimating this team and their ability to handle the rigors of B1G basketball and all the talented opposition they will face. I am a Hawk fan and always hope for the best. I will stand by my statement that if we make it to the NCAA's, McCaffery and these young players will have done a helluva job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT