ADVERTISEMENT

Updates on Team. Per Fran, Connor is 6th Man. Starters are Joe, JBO, Patrick, Keegan, Filip.

Since they have started practicing, can we call it basketball season yet?

Was Sandfort in those pics? The official website doesn't have his pic in the roster. I assume several of the white guys were the walkon guards???

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Sandfort is the guy about to get beat on a dribble drive by JBo. I know it's early for Sandfort, but I have never been satisfied with Fran's lack of teaching containment angles on defense.

Plus, I sure hope Fran doesn't keep Sandfort at guard very long, as that's his current listed position. To me his feet a much better suited for a stretch-4.

Ok rant over. It's just that seeing people get beat off the dribble makes me puke

Reactions: CarmelHawki
Sandfort is the guy about to get beat on a dribble drive by JBo. I know it's early for Sandfort, but I have never been satisfied with Fran's lack of teaching containment angles on defense.

Plus, I sure hope Fran doesn't keep Sandfort at guard very long, as that's his current listed position. To me his feet a much better suited for a stretch-4.

Ok rant over. It's just that seeing people get beat off the dribble makes me puke

Dude, JBo 2.0 is a slashing shooting guard

Fran teaches a fanning principle which you try to keep penetration out of the middle. That's why you see Sandfort fanning Bohannon to one side of the court.

Some prefer the opposite of funneling to the middle where there are more help defenders.

Reactions: perryhawk
You guys need to contact the U of Iowa and see if you would be allowed to vol. to help coach defense...

Sandfort will be a forward, I'm confident of that.

Reactions: Jonnymungo
Yeah thanks for the fanning principle lesson lmao.

In that picture I can almost guarantee Payton fanned JBo right to the basket. He doesn't have a containment angle. His legs are already crossed, which means he is already in catch up mode, and has no way to level off the drive.

Again, I'm not getting on Payton. Fran has never correctly taught containment angles at Iowa. If you aren't able to see it, the defensive numbers will speak for themselves. And pretty much every defensive coach will tell you that the most important thing is containing the ball. Penetration destroys the integrity of any and all defenses. You have allowed their troops onto your soil. Now you are put into defensive rotation and you have lost a significant portion of your rebounding positioning. They get layups, open 3's, FT's, and offensive rebounds. All of which could have been prevented by guarding the damn ball.

Even when Fran talks about defense, you never hear him talk about containment angles. It is what it is.

But go ahead and keep defending Fran's defense. I appreciate fans

In that picture I can almost guarantee Payton fanned JBo right to the basket. He doesn't have a containment angle. His legs are already crossed, which means he is already in catch up mode, and has no way to level off the drive.

Again, I'm not getting on Payton. Fran has never correctly taught containment angles at Iowa. If you aren't able to see it, the defensive numbers will speak for themselves. And pretty much every defensive coach will tell you that the most important thing is containing the ball. Penetration destroys the integrity of any and all defenses. You have allowed their troops onto your soil. Now you are put into defensive rotation and you have lost a significant portion of your rebounding positioning. They get layups, open 3's, FT's, and offensive rebounds. All of which could have been prevented by guarding the damn ball.

Even when Fran talks about defense, you never hear him talk about containment angles. It is what it is.

Golly, you know more than Fran! Why not shoot him an email detailing this containment angle issue so he can get up to speed!

Early on I like Sandford more as a 3, then a stretch 4. Right now he's too thin to guard 4's. With seasoning maybe he can use his length to guard 2's?

Yes, I get bet out of shape every time I see someone get beat off the dribble. That's the way people who value defense are

Jbo and Connor are going to play way too much this season. Fran has a defensive team but he can't coach winning ugly defensive games. I'd be excited about this team if Fran wasn't coaching it.

• Haha
Reactions: perryhawk
Yes, I get bet out of shape every time I see someone get beat off the dribble. That's the way people who value defense are

Jbo and Connor are going to play way too much this season. Fran has a defensive team but he can't coach winning ugly defensive games. I'd be excited about this team if Fran wasn't coaching it.
Bring back Lickliter!!!!

;)

My guess from afar is that we have the forwards/front line to be pretty decent..so I am guessing that it all comes down to how well our guards play.
Always does. So, evaluate your perception of our guards to determine success.

Always does. So, evaluate your perception of our guards to determine success.
Well my perception seems irrelevant until I get a chance to see what development took place in the off season and how they adapt to their new roles….including the chemistry with those front line players.

I’ve seen quite a bit of Keegan and Patrick….Rebraca has extensive experience and has performed well against good competition including B10 competition. I admit that the second team guys are still a big unknown until we see them……but unless they are much better than anticipated they aren’t the primary factor in next year’s success.

Can’t wait for some practice reports!

Well my perception seems irrelevant until I get a chance to see what development took place in the off season and how they adapt to their new roles….including the chemistry with those front line players.

I’ve seen quite a bit of Keegan and Patrick….Rebraca has extensive experience and has performed well against good competition including B10 competition. I admit that the second team guys are still a big unknown until we see them……but unless they are much better than anticipated they aren’t the primary factor in next year’s success.

Can’t wait for some practice reports!
Yea, great post Perry. Above is my thought too.....the exciting thing for me is a lot of unknown pieces to a puzzle we haven't put together yet and things like chemistry and how they've progressed with their play is anyone's guess?

I tell you what though...I really like the collective talent, size, length, and skills on paper and what little we've seen on video. I'd like to think I know basketball enough to know very good BB skills and talent when I see it. And this team has the talent per my view, young and inexperienced playing together yet but talented. Heck, along with 2 Murray's we even have a Kingsbury on the roster....how can you not be excited about that? Yes, any practice reports would be appreciated.

have you sent in your application?

Reactions: Ronman
Wow, look at you being all optimistic and such!:)
I have an insider. The key will be can the players play in games like they are practicing. In practice both Murrays and young McCaffery are much improved. Rebaca and the two freshman have been impressive. Perkins has improved his game. Josh Ogundele has been working on his jump shot and is trimmed down. I also worry about the defense!

I have an insider. The key will be can the players play in games like they are practicing. In practice both Murrays and young McCaffery are much improved. Rebaca and the two freshman have been impressive. Perkins has improved his game. Josh Ogundele has been working on his jump shot and is trimmed down. I also worry about the defense!
Thanks, I'll take it. The last time Fran had a rebuilding year like this it was not good. This team has me more optimistic because I believe Bohannon, Keegan, and Rebracca will help the young talent be competitive at the B1G level. That and this is the most athletic team Fran has put together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT