ADVERTISEMENT

Upper Iowa University dropping 7 sports

So you don't have to read the article, here are the 7 sports being dropped due to declining enrollment:

"Upper Iowa University announced Thursday it is eliminating seven sports, including men’s cross country and track and field.

Men’s and women’s bowling, women’s tennis and shotgun sports also will be eliminated at the end of May.

UIU will continue to sponsor 16 sport programs — football, volleyball, men and women's soccer, women's cross country, men’s and women's basketball, men's wrestling, women's indoor track and field, softball, baseball, women's outdoor track and field, men’s and women's golf, and the fully-endowed cheer and dance program.

Upper Iowa also remains committed to the “on-time launch and development” of a women's wrestling program in the fall of 2024."

Some colleges are not going to make it.

Lots of DIII only exist for people to pay big money to play sports.

Upper Iowa is DII but some of their rosters are beyond huge, past scholarship limits so they are obviously farming athletes.

People are starting to turn their backs on this model.

I agree. In regards to DIII sports, parents are increasingly having the "let it go" conversation with their high school graduates.

Some long bus rides for Upper Iowa also. If I was an athlete and don’t see the field I would do some deep sole searching.

Reactions: Sheahawk
I agree. In regards to DIII sports, parents are increasingly having the "let it go" conversation with their high school graduates.
I will continue to tell people to have their kids look at NAIA schools. At least as much talent as D-3 and they give out athletic and academic packages combined. One of our kids graduated from one after playing soccer for 4 years, and the other kid will graduate, after playing basketball for 4 years, next year from another school - actually after her college in Wisconsin is having to close. The younger kid will have no debt due to all the money she gets.

If kids want to play, and can't afford DIII, NAIA has been awesome (well at least until one closed, but she got to go through the recruiting process again) for both kids. Highly recommend.

Reactions: MitchLL
NAIA - the GPAC is a solid conference. Much higher level than NCAA D3. There are some NAIA schools that could more than compete with NCAA D2 schools. I'd put Morningside in that conversation. Morningside football would easily be a top 20 program in NCAA D2 these days.

Some long bus rides for Upper Iowa also.

The Fayette County area and adjacent areas to the north and east are some of the most outdoor friendly areas in Iowa. So many things to do and see. But that isn't a priority for college kids. Fayette is a tough sell for kids.

Many, many years ago, I wrestled for an NAIA school and years after that fact, they did win a national championship in wrestling. Unfortunately, that school is no longer in existence.
That being said, who is the "sugar daddy" for Grand View.

Many, many years ago, I wrestled for an NAIA school and years after that fact, they did win a national championship in wrestling. Unfortunately, that school is no longer in existence.
That being said, who is the "sugar daddy" for Grand View.

LOL. Dana College.

Some long bus rides for Upper Iowa also. If I was an athlete and don’t see the field I would do some deep sole searching.

Never know what you’ll find…
bazza-bazza-wet-feet.gif

NAIA - the GPAC is a solid conference. Much higher level than NCAA D3. There are some NAIA schools that could more than compete with NCAA D2 schools. I'd put Morningside in that conversation. Morningside football would easily be a top 20 program in NCAA D2 these days.
It’s crazy. A long long time ago when I was at NDSU, Morningside was an automatic W for every other football team in the NCC. Once your program can establish momentum it can be hard to stop. Sometimes dropping down a level is what your program needs to achieve that.

GrandView is definitely at or near the top if you’re looking to continue to participate in sports. Wrestling, football and men’s volleyball are all always right near the top naationally every year.

Upper Iowa's website proclaims that they are lowering tuition from $34,000 down to $19,000 for the next school year.

Doesn't sound like they have issues with funding.
Or maybe they do and are gambling that they can increase enrollment to offset that $15k adjustment?

Upper Iowa's website proclaims that they are lowering tuition from $34,000 down to $19,000 for the next school year.

Or maybe they do and are gambling that they can increase enrollment to offset that $15k adjustment?
Probably doing what Central College did a few years ago. Get rid of the sticker price and just tell people what you are going to get charged after 'scholarships' are handed out. Visited Luther last fall, sticker price was like $60k, but they handed out money if you could walk in a straight line and the actual cost would probably be $25k if my daughter chose to go there.

UIU has been running in the red for years.

I believe Iowa Wesleyan tried that.

Heart of America Conference is pretty solid also for NAIA. The CCAC is losing 2-3 schools due to the schools shutting down.

It’s crazy. A long long time ago when I was at NDSU, Morningside was an automatic W for every other football team in the NCC. Once your program can establish momentum it can be hard to stop. Sometimes dropping down a level is what your program needs to achieve that.
Automatic win for everybody but NDSU. I remember Morningside giving you guys fits.

Much higher level than D3? That's hilarious.

Much higher level than D3? That's hilarious.
Well, since NAIA offers athletic scholarships and has lower academic standards than the NCAA, yeah, it is a much higher level of athletics.

When Brandon Wegher left Iowa he didn't go to Central or Wartburg, he went to Morningside, and still got an NFL shot from there.

• Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44
Probably doing what Central College did a few years ago. Get rid of the sticker price and just tell people what you are going to get charged after 'scholarships' are handed out. Visited Luther last fall, sticker price was like $60k, but they handed out money if you could walk in a straight line and the actual cost would probably be $25k if my daughter chose to go there.

My son is about to graduate from Central. Really, once they adjusted tuition and grants/scholarships, nothing changed. Same out of pocket, same amount of loan need. What good was it to charge $45k when a lot of the students get $30k in scholarships and grants from the school?

Well, since NAIA offers athletic scholarships and has lower academic standards than the NCAA, yeah, it is a much higher level of athletics.

When Brandon Wegher left Iowa he didn't go to Central or Wartburg, he went to Morningside, and still got an NFL shot from there.
I hate to tell you, but the athletic scholarships don't make much difference in cost to attend. It was cheaper for me to go D3 than NAIA even with a sizable "athletic scholarship". If you're good enough, D3 schools will find money for you.

And again, saying the NAIA as a whole is a much higher level than D3 is laughable.

Honest question.
Why do people attend these types of schools?
They want one on one interaction with their professors and don't want to be just a statistic at a large university. They also desire to avoid the temptations found at a lot of large schools. Also not everyone wants to be in a class of 500 nameless students.

They want one on one interaction with their professors and don't want to be just a statistic at a large university. They also desire to avoid the temptations found at a lot of large schools. Also not everyone wants to be in a class of 500 nameless students.
All of your points are valid but is it worth it? Does it translate to employment or graduate/medical/legal studies?

My son is about to graduate from Central. Really, once they adjusted tuition and grants/scholarships, nothing changed. Same out of pocket, same amount of loan need. What good was it to charge $45k when a lot of the students get $30k in scholarships and grants from the school?
Marketing. Peer institutions are closely watching Central and Simpson as case studies for enrollment. I don't think a full tuition reset (Central) is the answer, but it's more transparent that $60K tuition followed by $40K in grants and scholarships.

I will continue to tell people to have their kids look at NAIA schools. At least as much talent as D-3 and they give out athletic and academic packages combined. One of our kids graduated from one after playing soccer for 4 years, and the other kid will graduate, after playing basketball for 4 years, next year from another school - actually after her college in Wisconsin is having to close. The younger kid will have no debt due to all the money she gets.

If kids want to play, and can't afford DIII, NAIA has been awesome (well at least until one closed, but she got to go through the recruiting process again) for both kids. Highly recommend.

I played D3 football. One year we preseason scrimmaged an NAIA school and absolutely kicked the shit out of them. I remember being pissed those kids got scholarships.

But, in fairness… most NAIA schools are terrible academically. So even with the scholarships I’m guessing they’re losing out in the long run over lost earnings.

I played D3 football. One year we preseason scrimmaged an NAIA school and absolutely kicked the shit out of them. I remember being pissed those kids got scholarships.

But, in fairness… most NAIA schools are terrible academically. So even with the scholarships I’m guessing they’re losing out in the long run over lost earnings.
Name the schools. There are always outliers.

Morningside, Northwestern, Briar Cliff, etc. are terrible academically compared to BV, Simpson, Central, etc? Ok.

GPAC schools like Morningside would drag their nuts across the face of the D3 schools in Iowa and, frankly, the rest of the country. I have no vested interest in this, just calling it as I see it.

One of our posters here has a kid that plays football at Morningside. Ask him.

• Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44
Name the schools. There are always outliers.

Morningside, Northwestern, Briar Cliff, etc. are terrible academically compared to BV, Simpson, Central, etc? Ok.

GPAC schools like Morningside would drag their nuts across the face of the D3 schools in Iowa and, frankly, the rest of the country. I have no vested interest in this, just calling it as I see it.

One of our posters here has a kid that plays football at Morningside. Ask him.
And that's just dumb. Central last year and Wartburg this year were just as good as Morningside. One plus of NAIA is there are only 94 teams, so it's obviously much easier to be competitive than in D3 where there are 300 some teams.

And Morningside actually played a D3 team a few years ago, UW-Whitewater, and got beat.

Your posts on this are just getting worse and more uninformed.

NAIA is a mixed bag. For Every Grandview that is good there is a Clarke in Dubuque.

DII can has 9 full scholarships by ncaa rule for baseball. Upper Iowa has 54 guys on their roster, which is nuts.

They are farming athletics for students. My guess is upper Iowa has very few students on campus that don’t play a sport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT