ADVERTISEMENT

US inflation correlates with......Republican hysteria!!!!??👀👀👀

Joes Place

HR King
Aug 28, 2003

Republicans right now think inflation is a much bigger problem than Democrats do, and a lot of that is just politics. But here’s another possibility: Many of the places Republicans live indeed have had significantly higher inflation than Democratic enclaves.

In new research, economists Carola Binder, Rupal Kamdar and Jane Ryngaert examined Labor Department inflation figures for U.S. metropolitan areas, and compared them with voting data. Their finding: Metro areas with more Republicans and independent voters tended to have higher inflation in 2022 than places where Democrats live.

A Wall Street Journal analysis found a similar pattern at the state level. Inflation estimates provided by Moody’s Analytics, combined with voting data, show that states where Donald Trump garnered the most votes in 2020 have on balance experienced higher inflation.
For example, South Carolina experienced the most inflation of any state since the pandemic hit. Its consumer prices rose at a 4.88% annual rate between December 2019 and last month. South Carolina elected Trump with 56% of the votes cast between him and President Biden in 2020.

In contrast, New Hampshire had the least inflation of any state, with prices rising at a 3.75% rate. It elected Biden with 54% of the Trump/Biden vote.

Almost like these GOP areas are jacking up their own inflation to "own the libs", I guess...

Correlation here is impressive!
00bn2Uo.jpeg

Paper conclusion indicates that if ALL voters had "imagined" inflation like the GOP, did, actual inflation would have been 2 to 4 percentage points higher.

During the COVID-19 rise in inflation, Democratic expectations stayed remarkably level anchored while Republican inflation expectations rose and fell with realized inflation. This environment-- in which two groups of consumers face the same macroeconomic conditions and monetary policy, but different beliefs about the monetary regime --provides a unique setting in which to study the effects of inflation expectations on inflation. We exploit the geographic variation in political affiliation to show that the partial de-anchoring of expectations increased inflation. In counterfactual exercises, we show that had all expectations become as unanchored as those of Republicans, average inflation would have been two to four percentage points higher in 2021 to 2024.

Ergo: propaganda actually impacts inflation economics!!!!

It's supply and demand, nobody wants to live in crime ridden Democrat shitholes

Actually, quite the opposite.

It's why TX wants to changes how its votes are counted to go by "counties", because all of the people there live in about 7 total counties.

Reactions: Tom Paris
High inflation directly correlates to Biden becoming president

No; the highest inflation directly correlates to GOP-dominated areas.

You may not like that this is what the data indicate, but per the WSJ, it is precisely what the data indicate. And the source implies that if ALL Americans dissociated like the GOP did on inflation, that our US inflation would have been 2-4% higher.

No; the highest inflation directly correlates to GOP-dominated areas.

You may not like that this is what the data indicate, but per the WSJ, it is precisely what the data indicate. And the source implies that if ALL Americans dissociated like the GOP did on inflation, that our US inflation would have been 2-4% higher.
Not gonna lie, this is about the dumbest research since climate change, covid, or trans "research".

So now your saying is republicans fault for not wishing inflation was lower? Good god, dems need to come back to reality.

So now your saying is republicans fault for not wishing inflation was lower?

The WSJ is explaining to you that Republican areas appear to have a self-fulfilling prophecy of higher inflation.
Lots of underlying reasons, including more grifting when people see they can raise prices because their customers "expect it", etc.

The WSJ is explaining to you that Republican areas appear to have a self-fulfilling prophecy of higher inflation.
Lots of underlying reasons, including more grifting when people see they can raise prices because their customers "expect it", etc.
Maybe democrat cities have a greater incentive to fudge the numbers.

I call bs on the idea presented in this thread.

I have seen the lies from the left regarding covid, climate, open borders, trans, race, etc. I have no reason to believe they would tell the truth about the economy either.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: fsu1jreed

Republicans right now think inflation is a much bigger problem than Democrats do, and a lot of that is just politics. But here’s another possibility: Many of the places Republicans live indeed have had significantly higher inflation than Democratic enclaves.

In new research, economists Carola Binder, Rupal Kamdar and Jane Ryngaert examined Labor Department inflation figures for U.S. metropolitan areas, and compared them with voting data. Their finding: Metro areas with more Republicans and independent voters tended to have higher inflation in 2022 than places where Democrats live.

A Wall Street Journal analysis found a similar pattern at the state level. Inflation estimates provided by Moody’s Analytics, combined with voting data, show that states where Donald Trump garnered the most votes in 2020 have on balance experienced higher inflation.
For example, South Carolina experienced the most inflation of any state since the pandemic hit. Its consumer prices rose at a 4.88% annual rate between December 2019 and last month. South Carolina elected Trump with 56% of the votes cast between him and President Biden in 2020.

In contrast, New Hampshire had the least inflation of any state, with prices rising at a 3.75% rate. It elected Biden with 54% of the Trump/Biden vote.

Almost like these GOP areas are jacking up their own inflation to "own the libs", I guess...

Correlation here is impressive!
00bn2Uo.jpeg

Paper conclusion indicates that if ALL voters had "imagined" inflation like the GOP, did, actual inflation would have been 2 to 4 percentage points higher.

During the COVID-19 rise in inflation, Democratic expectations stayed remarkably level anchored while Republican inflation expectations rose and fell with realized inflation. This environment-- in which two groups of consumers face the same macroeconomic conditions and monetary policy, but different beliefs about the monetary regime --provides a unique setting in which to study the effects of inflation expectations on inflation. We exploit the geographic variation in political affiliation to show that the partial de-anchoring of expectations increased inflation. In counterfactual exercises, we show that had all expectations become as unanchored as those of Republicans, average inflation would have been two to four percentage points higher in 2021 to 2024.

Ergo: propaganda actually impacts inflation economics!!!!
Can you define the term “inflation expectations” as it relates to this study?

Generally, republicans have more disposable income than democrats. Therefore, they're able to purchase price-inflated items more readily.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
I did, there was not a definition provided. That’s why I asked. Just curious how you would define it.
Dude. Just stop!

The study proved beyond a reasonable doubt that the ‘de-anchoring of expectations’ by republicans increased inflation. Why the hell would they have to define what it Is when their meticulous research proved what it DID?!?

Lil’ Joeys Place is the gift that keeps giving. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Dude. Just stop!

The study proved beyond a reasonable doubt that the ‘de-anchoring of expectations’ by republicans increased inflation. Why the hell would they have to define what it Is when their meticulous research proved what it DID?!?

Lil’ Joeys Place is the gift that keeps giving. 🤣 🤣 🤣
Correlation =/= causation.

I think “beyond a reasonable doubt” is a bit much. When looking at California CPI’s I think the definition of “inflation expectation” becomes pivotal. Care to provide a definition of what that means exactly?

Reactions: nelly02
Correlation =/= causation.

I think “beyond a reasonable doubt” is a bit much. When looking at California CPI’s I think the definition of “inflation expectation” becomes pivotal. Care to provide a definition of what that means exactly?

I was kidding. ‘Studies’ - like laws - are garbage if there are no definitions.

This is just another piece of crap science provided by the resident provider of crap science.

Pretty incredible the things people will come up with to try and explain a straightforward economic occurrance.

Gotta give OP credit. He's not going with the party line of "There is no inflation! Everyone is just lying about food being higher!" And instead has chosen with the rare used, "There is inflation, but it is caused by the GOPers who are raising the prices on purpose so their voters like Biden even less!"

Gutsy.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
I started, still not seeing it. I would appreciate yours though
My opinion on that point has no bearing on the studies that are cited and use it.

You want to find some technicality that "debunks" what the WSJ has informed you about: perceptions on inflation - driven mainly by rightwing media which separates opinions from reality - actually served to drive inflation higher in those areas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT