ADVERTISEMENT

***US Soccer***

Well. Here is the thing that sucks to remember. This tournament's main purpose was to deepen the pool and find players. I would say Jones, Sands, Ferriera and M.Robinson will earn some calls in addition to Turner.

I am not sure anyone else really did much to get calls. Plenty are young so we will see what happens.

Robinson is pretty much locked in at one of the CB spots as long as he’s healthy.

I’d say Cowell is another guy I want to see more of, same with Vazquez - had some huge moments as a sub.

Robinson is pretty much locked in at one of the CB spots as long as he’s healthy.

I’d say Cowell is another guy I want to see more of, same with Vazquez - had some huge moments as a sub.

While I like Robinson, he made some bad mistakes this tournament but plenty of good things as well. Plus he's fast!

I think Robinson is certainly in the mix but there are quite a few guys there. Gregg tends to favor Zimmermann and then you got CCV, EPB, Richards, old man Ream all fighting for that other spot.

While I like Robinson, he made some bad mistakes this tournament but plenty of good things as well. Plus he's fast!

I think Robinson is certainly in the mix but there are quite a few guys there. Gregg tends to favor Zimmermann and then you got CCV, EPB, Richards, old man Ream all fighting for that other spot.

Miles was a standout in WCQ. If he hadn’t had that nasty injury he’d have started in Qatar over Ream - who is 35.

Imo I think our best CB pairing is Richards-Miles at present.

Cowell seems to the natural Jordan Morris replacement. If he could figure out his touch a little bit more if could be dangerous

To be honest I wasn't to upset we lost last night. I think after 2-120 minute games in a week that team would been fried for the final.

Cowell seems to the natural Jordan Morris replacement. If he could figure out his touch a little bit more if could be dangerous

To be honest I wasn't to upset we lost last night. I think after 2-120 minute games in a week that team would been fried for the final.
And let's be honest --- last night's result is really a "draw" as a PK shootout might as well be a coin flip.

Not a great performance, but hardly something worth gnashing teeth over.

Reactions: Dorrman
And let's be honest --- last night's result is really a "draw" as a PK shootout might as well be a coin flip.

Not a great performance, but hardly something worth gnashing teeth over.

I only caught the end of extra time and the shootout. Did we play our "B" squad or was it most of our best players minus Pulisic?

I agree with this, which is why I'm confused by your Vazquez comment. He is a lumbering 9 who doesn't put away a ton of chances. I don't see how he gets minutes.

Partly it’s due to the gaping void that historically is the 9 position. He’s 21/22 I think so we can expect him to grow and develop. I’m not necessarily looking at him as a starter, but more than we need more options.

Balogun on paper should have that spot locked down for awhile but if he doesn’t pan out, gets injured…we’re still mostly stuck with guys who to date have asked more questions than provided answers.

I agree with this, which is why I'm confused by your Vazquez comment. He is a lumbering 9 who doesn't put away a ton of chances. I don't see how he gets minutes.
Starting Vasquez did not work at all in hind site. He's a liability defensively. One of the advantages of Jesus at the 9 is that he can effectively press. After the first 15 mins we needed to drop our line of confrontation. There simply was too much space to cover. The team looked fatigued and I don't think they were capable of playing a pressing defense. Also because we had started Vasquez we didn't have him at the end of the match to get on the end of crosses.

Save for Matt Turner I don't think anyone on this team would make the 2 deeps on a World Cup Squad.

A few might make the team as the 3rd choice at their position.

Busio, Sands, Neal and Ferreira; possibly Cowell if he develops have shots I think.

Unusual problem for USMNT - for once all our best players are young, at multiple positions so on paper there aren’t many obvious needs aside from the need to develop depth.

From a depth perspective, biggest areas of concern for me are ST (obviously), CDM (Acosta will be 30 or so in ‘26 and we don’t have an obvious 3rd option; LB, CB.

Busio, Sands, Neal and Ferreira; possibly Cowell if he develops have shots I think.

Unusual problem for USMNT - for once all our best players are young, at multiple positions so on paper there aren’t many obvious needs aside from the need to develop depth.

From a depth perspective, biggest areas of concern for me are ST (obviously), CDM (Acosta will be 30 or so in ‘26 and we don’t have an obvious 3rd option; LB, CB.
For the 6- I had big hopes for Aiden Morris be he didn't look great against Jamaica I hoped he could played a little more but he had to leave the camp for some reason. Sands was pretty good this tournament but I think the Nations League showed us that without Tyler Adams they will just play Musah at the 6 and Gio will play a midfield role. There are several people who want that to happen regardless (i might be one of them)

Jones was decent, the US need a back up for Jedi. I know Dest and Scally can play LB so he is probably is behind those 2.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Yeah I can’t imagine it helped when selecting the roster that the coaching situation hadn’t been resolved yet.
At best it was a "got some guys some minutes".

Example: Jordan Morris is a amazing case of what could have been but those minutes should have gone somewhere else unless this was his swan song.

panama.gif
Go Panama in finals. Mainly because they have best national anthem

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
What happens at Copa is going to say a lot to me. Who is called up and who gets minutes? How does the team perform and what do Berhalter's tactics look like throughout? Also curious to see what young or new faces get calls for friendlies. So many young guys out there, but who will develop/emerge in the next 24 months?!!

US playing an Oman team that only missed out on the WC via the intercontinental play-in games. After a good chance for the visitors early, Balogun has his second career goal for the USMNT on the rebound of a thumping Dest shot, and it’s 1-0 in the 13th minute on TNT.

Last edited:
Oman plays decent defense but no offensive threat. I like Tillman. I saw him score in the Eredivise.

Minnesota has represented well as a venue for the USMNT

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Oman plays decent defense but no offensive threat. I like Tillman. I saw him score in the Eredivise.

Minnesota has represented well as a venue for the USMNT

They have had decent scorelines recently. They only lost 1 game this year (Iraq) and beat Saudi Arabia. Only lost to Germany 1-0.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT