ADVERTISEMENT

Utah State coach raving about Spencer

KF praised Spencer for three years. Then he hopped on the Deacon Hill bandwagon. If Petras is great for Utah State, good for him. And if he is, it won't change the futility I saw from Petras in three long years in Iowa City. Of course, maybe Utah State knows how to coach offense and QBs. Coaching CAN make a difference . . .

and his boss

sigh and here you are tossing shade, right after giving me shit. I knew I wouldn’t have to wait long…😂😂😂😂😂

Obviously some of you aren’t capable of understanding you are doing the same thing 😂

Practice means nothing. The only thing that matters are Saturdays.

cover5.jpg

Incredible that people judge Padilla for his game vs. Ohio State where he was thrown in to a no-win situation when Petras had a QB rating of 4.8.
I'm not judging Padilla from anything. But I certainly didn't see any reason to not trust the decisions made by the staff that got to see both QB's every day in practice.

Being put into tough situations is the nature of being a backup QB. There is zero priority built around a backup QB. The starter gets the reps because he needs all the prep he can get. And the rest of the offense needs the rhythm from getting maximum reps with the starter. That's just the way it is. Welcome to football

That’s not the only issue Iowa has had offensively. And I’d argue the scheme and tendencies don’t help that position group out at all.
Sure, the offense had more issues than offensive line. But O-line was the primary issue.

Fix everything else on that team's offense, but leave it with the same offensive line, and the the offense still wouldn't have been any good.

Conversely, fix the offensive line on that team but leave it with the other problems, and it would have been a serviceable offense.

The scheme worked just fine before the offensive line was broken

I firmly believe that Spencer was scared for his life. He could never get comfortable behind our O line. Now I suspect it was a combination of getting hit and being afraid of getting hit but if he can gain confidence behind the Utah State O line he could be a good QB for them. Given all I have said above, this echos other posters, in that in order to tease out the real issue with his failures, O line, the yips, our OC etc we will need to see him in real games before we can fully understand why he failed here.

Incredible how loud the calls for Padilla got.

At least a couple pieces of evidence emerged to prove those voices wrong.

Yet I've never heard one person admit they were wrong to have called for Padilla over Petras. I'm sure a good season by Petras this year will do nothing to change that
You have a piss poor memory. People saw how SP was struggling and wanted to see if the next guy in could do better. Once it was demonstrated that SP was slightly better, all the begging ceased.

It doesn’t really matter bro

Our QBs suck no matter who plays.

The difference between other teams is that their coaching staff isn’t afraid to try anyone else.

We only saw small sample size of Padilla. Same with Labas.

It’s not like Petras or Hill didn’t have countless opportunities to get better. They were given every chance, and to the detriment of the team
The detriment of the team?

I don't see how you could possibly say Padilla would have won more games than Petras.

And despite all the complaining, I have yet to hear one person honestly say they believe Iowa would have won as many games last season having played Lainez over Hill. Are you the first?

Not even going to discuss Labas. It seems he took himself out of the staffs good graces, so I don't think it was a realistic option that they were ever going to play him

Sure, the offense had more issues than offensive line. But O-line was the primary issue.

Fix everything else on that team's offense, but leave it with the same offensive line, and the the offense still wouldn't have been any good.

Conversely, fix the offensive line on that team but leave it with the other problems, and it would have been a serviceable offense.

The scheme worked just fine before the offensive line was broken
That, or defenses figured out there was no passing threat and jammed up the LOS.

You have a piss poor memory. People saw how SP was struggling and wanted to see if the next guy in could do better. Once it was demonstrated that SP was slightly better, all the begging ceased.
Lol, there are people still arguing for Padilla in this very thread.

The calls for Padilla from the fan base got to a point where they were nearly unanimous and absolutely deafening. You've said yourself that those deafening calls were proven in the end to have been wrong. Simply trust that the staff has some clue as to what they are doing.

• Haha
Reactions: MikeyHawk
Incredible how loud the calls for Padilla got.

At least a couple pieces of evidence emerged to prove those voices wrong.

Yet I've never heard one person admit they were wrong to have called for Padilla over Petras. I'm sure a good season by Petras this year will do nothing to change that
Lol at you victory lapping over spring hype quotes.

We need him on the roster this season. Shows how incompetent the offensive staff truly was/is.
How so? By letting Petras go?

Cade became the guy and I'm sure Petras wanted to start, so he went somewhere else.

It basically came down to one or the other and there isn't anyone that would have chosen Petras

How so? By letting Petras go?

Cade became the guy and I'm sure Petras wanted to start, so he went somewhere else.

It basically came down to one or the other and there isn't anyone that would have chosen Petras
No, it didn't exactly come down to one or the other. Petras could have been the starter this year if the staff really wanted to keep him... or some kind of vice versa.

• Haha
Reactions: eyesofhawk
Lol, there are people still arguing for Padilla in this very thread.

The calls for Padilla from the fan base got to a point where they were nearly unanimous and absolutely deafening. You've said yourself that those deafening calls were proven in the end to have been wrong. Simply trust that the staff has some clue as to what they are doing.
Give me Padilla 9 days a week over Spencer.

He proved he was better. Maybe not by much but he was definitely better.

Plus the kid got thrown into the absolute worst, no-win situations & still showed he was better.

As I've said, the Padilla screamers had already been proven wrong

They have not. Ferentz is known to be a stubborn mule of a person and Padilla was not given the same treatment as Petras. Petras started and finished like 6 games where he put up single digits including several at home. Petras had lots of complete games where he was allowed to struggle, lose, play again next week and show improvement. And improve he did not. Padilla really should've been afforded the same chance to learn from losses. Instead, he ends up getting benched in the middle of the Nebraska game after going 2-0 in his only two complete games. Never suffered a loss as a starting qb. You've been a huge troll on this Padilla vs Petras topic for some time now. Seek help.

Padilla did nothing but put up even worse numbers than Petras, yet there are still some Hawk fans who want to defend him while bashing Spencer. Absolutely crazy.

Petras at Iowa: 114.7 passer rating, 56.7 completion ptg, 6.3 ypa.
Padilla at Iowa: 94.2 passer rating, 49.0 completion ptg, 5.2 ypa.
Deacon at Iowa: 87.4 passer rating, 48.6 completion ptg, 4.6 ypa.

Padilla's stats look more like Deacon than Spencer. Stop making Padilla excuses, he was bad.

I'll go with the "wait and see" when the games start crowd. Hoping for the best for him, I always liked him as a person and leader.

Padilla's stats look more like Deacon than Spencer. Stop making Padilla excuses, he was bad.

Drops and throwaways hurt Padilla's stats more than they hurt Petras'. Petras was more likely to take a sack or throw off target because he wasn't able to sidestep pressure or throw while running. Both qbs had to deal with a crappy receiving corps that couldn't separate or make catches through contact, but here's two balls hitting hands and getting dropped.

inc8-drop.webp

inc6-b.webp

Fun fact: Charlie Jones has 100+ yard games with Aiden Oconnell and Alex Padilla. Find me one from Petras in his 20 games with Charlie.

Padilla did nothing but put up even worse numbers than Petras, yet there are still some Hawk fans who want to defend him while bashing Spencer. Absolutely crazy.

Petras at Iowa: 114.7 passer rating, 56.7 completion ptg, 6.3 ypa.
Padilla at Iowa: 94.2 passer rating, 49.0 completion ptg, 5.2 ypa.
Deacon at Iowa: 87.4 passer rating, 48.6 completion ptg, 4.6 ypa.

Both were bad folks!🤪

I wish Spencer all the best, but let’s pump the brakes until he sees real action….😎

Lol, see what I mean? It's absolutely incredible
Utah st. vs SMU is not equal. It's a safe bet that SMU has way way way more $$ than US, therefore they have more talent.
I would have taken padilla over petras anyday. Petras had ptsd from brians play calling that killed the oline and ultimately petras. Padilla at least could run and made quicker decisions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT