ADVERTISEMENT

Utah State coach raving about Spencer

"He turned the ball over once through 13 practices and hit almost 80% of his passes...he clearly won the job."

Yikes...as we all are fully aware, it wasn't all SP and this isn't B10 but wow, the hits keep coming for that Brian offense. So glad Lester is here!
He is practicing against Utah st. Not Iowa...

S

He's also playing for Utah St...equal levels. He's still hitting 80% and not turning it over. That takes some ability. It also take coaches putting you in a position to be successful and a decent O line.
All in a red practice Jersey…..he had an amazing highlight reel prior to Iowa. Did you know he broke Goff’s records?

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Suspect ol play, suspect play calling/scheme, suspect accuracy when throwing the ball, playing in the B1G, gun shy due to above mentioned ol play. I assumed you had watched the games, my bad
I watched. All of the above indeed. It's called a rhetorical question

Why? QB issues were a problem way before BF took over
Yeah, Brad Banks, Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi, Jake Ruddock, CJ Beathard and Nate Stanley all had issues at QB's before Brian took over as QB coach😁. What QB has played well since Brian took over as QB coach? I'll wait. 🤔 Granted, not all Iowa QB's before Brian have been good, but I think it is pretty clear that Brian had NO IDEA of what he was doing when it came to teaching the QB position.

Yeah, Brad Banks, Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi, Jake Ruddock, CJ Beathard and Nate Stanley all had issues at QB's before Brian took over as QB coach😁. What QB has played well since Brian took over as QB coach? I'll wait. 🤔 Granted, not all Iowa QB's before Brian have been good, but I think it is pretty clear that Brian had NO IDEA of what he was doing when it came to teaching the QB position.
Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Petras went backwards each year. By the end he was so shell-shocked he didn't know left from right. I honestly think he's a pretty capable guy. Brian ruined him. The guy was under constant pressure and the defense knew what play was coming before it even happened. Now maybe he just didn't have it mentally, and eventually just klnd of gave up. I don't know.

Petras went backwards each year. By the end he was so shell-shocked he didn't know left from right. I honestly think he's a pretty capable guy. Brian ruined him. The guy was under constant pressure and the defense knew what play was coming before it even happened. Now maybe he just didn't have it mentally, and eventually just klnd of gave up. I don't know.
I pretty much agree with all of this. The guy got pounded.

Last edited:
Why? QB issues were a problem way before BF took over
I disagree.

Ricky Stanzi and Nate Stanley were both guys who never lost a bowl game. Brad Banks was a Heisman runner-up. Drew Tate was a stud. Beathard was good enough to make it in the league.

Fans will always dispute the coaches when it comes to QBs. That's particularly true at Iowa. Folks were chomping at the bit for Banks to play more over McCann ... even though Banks admitted that he didn't know the O particularly well as a JR (since he was a transfer guy). In 2008, Stanzi was the 3rd stringer ... but Christensen suffered from PTSD from the '07 season given how bad our line was in '07. The coaches allowed for a competition to play out.

In 2014, the coaches (again) allowed for a competition to play out because Rudock failed to distance himself from the challenger (Beathard).

It's odd ... for as much as fans bellyache about the QB decisions made by the coaches ... they seem to allow for backups to get reps if the incumbent doesn't hold down the job.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
if he puts up big numbers at utah state that big arm might be enough to get him drafted. btw that would mean the last 5 iowa qb season starters got drafted — stanzi, rudock, beathard, stanley, petras. can’t be many schools that have had 5 consecutive season starting qbs get drafted by the nfl.
any updates on where these players are all now, I know beathard is with jacksonville jags as of Dec 2023

I disagree.

Ricky Stanzi and Nate Stanley were both guys who never lost a bowl game. Brad Banks was a Heisman runner-up. Drew Tate was a stud. Beathard was good enough to make it in the league.

Fans will always dispute the coaches when it comes to QBs. That's particularly true at Iowa. Folks were chomping at the bit for Banks to play more over McCann ... even though Banks admitted that he didn't know the O particularly well as a JR (since he was a transfer guy). In 2008, Stanzi was the 3rd stringer ... but Christensen suffered from PTSD from the '07 season given how bad our line was in '07. The coaches allowed for a competition to play out.

In 2014, the coaches (again) allowed for a competition to play out because Rudock failed to distance himself from the challenger (Beathard).

It's odd ... for as much as fans bellyache about the QB decisions made by the coaches ... they seem to allow for backups to get reps if the incumbent doesn't hold down the job.
You know people did care much for Jake Rudock, especially once they got a glimpse of CJ, but he played ok and was your "consummate game manager". However it was clear that CJ had more physical ability once he hit the field, which turned out fine for he and Rudock as Jake played decent enough at Michigan to make the NFL as a backup. I dare say neither would have ever sniffed an NFL opportunity under Brian's tutelage.

I'm glad to see Petras doing well in practices and scrimmage. I'm not surprised....as I publicly stated on this forum that I believed he had NFL skills and would get a look or two and have a chance to make a squad (assuming he fully recovered from the shoulder injury). I stated this during the 2022 season when many of you "know it alls" were calling for Padilla....claiming he was a more talented QB. We'll see what happens, but if Petras stays healthy he'll post terrific numbers and will earn a chance to make an NFL team. He earned this chance....after all he endured while at Iowa with that God awful QB coaching staff and pathetic Offensive Line.

I'm glad to see Petras doing well in practices and scrimmage. I'm not surprised....as I publicly stated on this forum that I believed he had NFL skills and would get a look or two and have a chance to make a squad (assuming he fully recovered from the shoulder injury). I stated this during the 2022 season when many of you "know it alls" were calling for Padilla....claiming he was a more talented QB. We'll see what happens, but if Petras stays healthy he'll post terrific numbers and will earn a chance to make an NFL team. He earned this chance....after all he endured while at Iowa with that God awful QB coaching staff and pathetic Offensive Line.

I blame Brian

"He turned the ball over once through 13 practices and hit almost 80% of his passes...he clearly won the job."

Yikes...as we all are fully aware, it wasn't all SP and this isn't B10 but wow, the hits keep coming for that Brian offense. So glad Lester is here!
I'm starting to wonder if, over time, we will all find out that, as bad as we thought BF was, he was actually MUCH worse.

Petras had O’Keefe as his position coach until his last season in uniform, and in 2020 had a good line and his best WR group. I think he improved during the next two seasons, even if that’s difficult to see statistically.

Petras had O’Keefe as his position coach until his last season in uniform, and in 2020 had a good line and his best WR group. I think he improved during the next two seasons, even if that’s difficult to see statistically.
You are right...I agree.

During the 2022 Season, Petras had an absolutely trash Offensive line and a horrible Offensive Coordinator making offensive decisions, including decisions directly impacting QB play. Petras should be held in high regard for surviving the brutality of that season and those circumstances. He's a talented QB that could make an NFL roster. The right staff and circumstances will allow him to showcase his skill set...which, by the way, is ample.

Reactions: Hawkeyegeorge12
Or putting together a game plan. The other team knew what was coming and BF had no answers. KF would not be here if he didn't have the best DC in the country. I'll credit KF for that win,but he squandered the best defenses Iowa has ever had because of his blind nepotism to his son. They could have had a fighting chance in the BIG game and playoffs if they had an average offense. And one other thing that helped KF which no longer exists. The BIG west.

Or putting together a game plan. The other team knew what was coming and BF had no answers. KF would not be here if he didn't have the best DC in the country. I'll credit KF for that win,but he squandered the best defenses Iowa has ever had because of his blind nepotism to his son. They could have had a fighting chance in the BIG game and playoffs if they had an average offense. And one other thing that helped KF which no longer exists. The BIG west.
It's hard to be this confused

• Haha
Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
He lacked one pretty important physical tool. The ability to move away from trouble in the pocket
He wasn’t very elusive, but given the 2 seconds he had before the entire D-line was in his grill he didn’t stand much of a chance. Hell, Lamar Jackson would’ve had issues getting away from the constant bull rushes the sieve up front allowed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT