ADVERTISEMENT

Very low talent this year

93hawkeye

HR All-American
Sep 19, 2004
Is Offensive talent the lowest it's been for KF's tenure? Lachey will probably make the NFL. Don't think any OL will. Kaleb Johnson and Leshun Williams have their moments in *some* games, but there are plenty of D1 RBs that do what they do. QBs, WRs, yeah, we know.

Is Offensive talent the lowest it's been for KF's tenure? Lachey will probably make the NFL. Don't think any OL will. Kaleb Johnson and Leshun Williams have their moments in *some* games, but there are plenty of D1 RBs that do what they do. QBs, WRs, yeah, we know.
Agree. I think Lachey and All are the only two that might play in the NFL consistently. Some might get looks, though.

I think we have RBs and WRs who would do well at other schools.

Minnesota was just daring us to play action on 1st down and we just continued to run 95% of our plays between the tackles. We’re starting a guy completing 37% of his passes and Kirk says he gives us the best chance to win. Sure, we probably win 10-6 or 10-9 if we don’t turn it over but it’s inevitable at some point these games are going to go the other way. Getting beat 45-15 in possession and gaining 127 yards is a losing formula.

I still think Johnson is solid. He doesn't look like himself though. Yes to All and Lachey. I don't see anyone else being drafted unfortunately.
I agree - Johnson appears a step slower than last season and falls down at the slightest contact. Not sure if he’s fighting an injury, put on some weight, or is getting guy shy behind this porous line.

Reactions: DewHawk
I believe the both draft analysts and PFF have Jones rated as a top 10 center in college. Honestly our guard play has been much better since Feth stepped in. There are just too many guys to block when they keep 8-9 guys in the box with no real threat to challenge the field with any type of pass game.

Is it the talent, or the lack of development and coaching that talent is getting?

OL Recruits
3* Volk
3* Elsbury
3* Logan Jones (as a DE)

3* Myslinski
4* Davidkov
4* Stephens
4* Colby
3* Dunker

3* Krough
3* Dotzler

The three 4* that we recruited in 2021 sure didn't pan out for us. Myslinksi was considered a huge recruit that year too, as he was committed to Texas before he flipped to us if memory serves me correctly. However, he hasn't been able to get on the field yet either. Either we're doing a REALLY piss poor job of evaluating talent, or a REALLY piss poor job of teaching the talent we're bringing in. Neither is good...but we have to fix it if we want to the offensive line to improve.

QB Recruits
2018 - 4* Petras
2019 - 3* Padilla
2020 - 4* Hogan
2021 - 3* Labas
2022 - 4* May
2023 - 3* Lainez

1 QB was an underperforming 3 year starter...3 have transferred...Labas is apparently serving a "top secret double classified" suspension from the offense, and we have no idea what Lainez can do for another 2 years because he has to learn this complicated playbook.

We did bring in 4* McNamara (51% completion...4 TD to 3 INT...not great) & 4th String 3* Deacon Hill (38% completion...2 TD to 3 INT...just ugly)

Last edited:
Reactions: littlez
If you think the talent level is low this year wait until next year. Anybody that actually has offensive skills will transfer and incoming recruits may or may not show up. Don't forget Taylor and CDJ will not be around to bail dumb and dumber out. JMO

Aren’t most of linemen at least 3 star guys? Possibly 1-2 even 4 star guys. Why are we able to take the Geno Stones and Dane Belton and Sebastian Castros who were recruited by Mac schools and put them in the pros year after year? It’s called coaching. We have it on 1 side of the ball and we don’t on the other. Plain and simple.

Why are we not giving other WR’s and QB’’s a look? QB that is bad and WR’s that drop over half

It feels like 1998 again.
1997 was still a very good team. 1998 was a down year, but Hayden had an incredible recruiting class coming in 1999.
Fred Barr LB 6'1" 215

Jon Beutjer QB 6'4" 185

A.J. Blazek OL 6'2" 280

Kory Borchers DL 6'6" 260

Maurice Brown WR 6'2" 185

Edgar Cervantes LB 6'2" 225

Jared Clauss DL 6'5" 240

Colin Cole DL 6'2" 275

Derek Davidson LB 6'2" 235

Adam Densmore OL 6'4" 260

Robert Gallery TE 6'7" 225

Aaron Greving RB 5'11" 190

Jory Helms LB 6'2" 220

Howard Hodges LB 6'2" 210

Erik Jensen RB 6'3" 245

Ramon Ochoa WR 5'9" 165

Nick Rahfaldt OL 6'4" 265

Eric Rothwell OL 6'5" 285

Cameron Smith DB 6'0" 185

Chris Smith DB 6'0" 180

Not all of those players would have been there under Hayden, as Ferentz brought in some recruits (especially the CC guys) after the new year, but the majority were recruited by Hayden’s staff. Having Chuck Long was key in landing a few of these guys. I was at the 1998 summer camp when they were recruiting several of these players. I feel like Kirk has the program in far worse shape than Hayden had it at any point. Especially from a national reputation standpoint.

It feels like 1998 again.
Looks just like 2022. Ugly wins vs bad teams. Blown out on both sides of ball vs goid teams. Looks like the entire KF tenure, minus 2002. That teams good, especially on O. The D wasn’t real good.

I believe the both draft analysts and PFF have Jones rated as a top 10 center in college. Honestly our guard play has been much better since Feth stepped in. There are just too many guys to block when they keep 8-9 guys in the box with no real threat to challenge the field with any type of pass game.

I don't know. We are getting beat by 4 and 3 man rushes.

*pass blocking

Reactions: amahawk
Unless you are a tight end why would you come to Iowa if you play offense? Kids know our reputation by now. They want to play where it's fun. What we do isn't fun at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT