ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: How will Tom Izzo be punished for the Travis Walton Rape Cover Up?

How will Tom Izzo be punished for the Travis Walton cover up?

• He will be fired.

• He will be suspended

• He will be reprimanded (written warning) but no suspensions or fines

• Nothing will happen. Izzo wins a lot of games and that's all that matters at Michigan State

• He will get a raise/new contract.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't understand the culture where athletic coaches are now the cornerstone of reporting anything to anyone about a criminal act on their campus. What makes them anything other than a coach? Why didn't the English professor report it? It sounds ridiculous.

If someone was assaulted they need to report things to the police period. Universities need to get out of the police business. They suck at it.

I don't understand the culture where athletic coaches are now the cornerstone of reporting anything to anyone about a criminal act on their campus. What makes them anything other than a coach? Why didn't the English professor report it? It sounds ridiculous.

If someone was assaulted they need to report things to the police period. Universities need to get out of the police business. They suck at it.
The GANG RAPE committed by the assistant coach (who lived in Tom Izzo's basement) and 2 of Izzzo's players was reported to the AD. The AD said he would do his own investigation.

The AD did not report ANYTHING to the police or to the Title IX office (which is required by federal law).

Tom Izzo did not report ANYTHING to the police or to the Title IX office (which is required by federal law).

Instead, the AD and Tom Izzo kept THE GANG RAPE allegations quiet.

The AD resigned right before this all was to come out publicly.

Tom Izzo? Tom Izzo is untouchable. Oh, and you can see him tomorrow coaching in the B1G Championship game.

The GANG RAPE committed by the assistant coach (who lived in Tom Izzo's basement) and 2 of Izzzo's players was reported to the AD. The AD said he would do his own investigation.

The AD did not report ANYTHING to the police or to the Title IX office (which is required by federal law).

Tom Izzo did not report ANYTHING to the police or to the Title IX office (which is required by federal law).

Instead, the AD and Tom Izzo kept THE GANG RAPE allegations quiet.

The AD resigned right before this all was to come out publicly.

Tom Izzo? Tom Izzo is untouchable. Oh, and you can see him tomorrow coaching in the B1G Championship game.

can you provide a link to the federal law requiring that izzo report those 2 things to the title 9 office?

Once again....why is any coach a person that reports a crime. Crimes are for the police.

Why not the Dean of the College of Business. Let's hold them responsible. Or not. You know because crimes belong with the police.

can you provide a link to the federal law requiring that izzo report those 2 things to the title 9 office?

In the ONE GANG RAPE CASE involving Travis Walton and 2 players: the AD and Izzo, as required by federal law, were required to report the rape allegation to the Title IX office so that a Title IX investigation could be started. Instead, they kept it quiet and handled it internally.

In the SECOND SEXUAL ASSAULT CASE involving 2 other players (Adreian Payne and Keith Appling), please read this (talks about what's required under federal law):

The ESPN piece also details accusations against basketball players. One of those cases, in 2010, was the subject of local media reports and protests, prompting the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights to contact Michigan State. After a female student reported that two male students cornered and sexually assaulted her, the university did not start a Title IX investigation, as required by federal law. After undertaking an investigation, the university’s outside lawyer found the two men weren’t in violation of college policy. The men accused played in every game that year, and by all accounts did not receive any punishment from coaches.

Michigan State spokesperson Jason Cody responded to ESPN, saying that the campus was working “diligently” on the issue, while admitting some fault in mishandled sexual assault cases.

LINK: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2018/01/29/michigan-state-ncaa-under-fire-over-sex-assault-cases

Last edited:
This is all about Fran's failure to coach any friggin defense forever with this group and your resulting frustration.

Izzo is clean, period, loved by players,alums,natl people.
ESPN was desperate for a story with their bad ratings.

How about psycho Fran? He looks crazyeeeeee

Here is the part where Travis Walton sucker punched a woman at a bar, knocking her out. This case was reported to the local police. Izzo did not discipline Travis Walton. There was no Title IX investigation.

ON JAN. 16, 2010, Michigan State junior Ashley Thompson and her friends met at an East Lansing bar to memorialize a friend who had died in a car crash. While the group sought comfort by being together, Thompson said she did not feel like socializing with strangers.

Travis Walton, who a year prior had helped lead Michigan State to the 2009 national championship basketball game and was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, approached Thompson's table.

"He started speaking with us, and I'm like, 'I'm sorry. Can you just give us a moment?'" Thompson told Outside the Lines. "And he was like, 'You don't know who I am?' And I was like, 'I really don't care who you are.' And he kind of got angry at that point, and I told him to not-so-politely F-off."

She says Walton -- who at the time was an undergraduate student assistant coach under Tom Izzo -- instantly became angry.

"I barely got the words out of my mouth, and he came across and he struck me on the right side of my face," she says. "I kind of reached back toward him, and I didn't make contact, and then that's when he swung with a second reach and hit me on the left side of my face and hit me so hard that it knocked me backwards off of my barstool."

Thompson says she lost consciousness, and by the time she woke up, bouncers already had removed Walton from the bar. She made a police report that evening. Thompson made two trips to the hospital and was diagnosed with a concussion, bruises and scrapes, according to medical records provided to Outside the Lines.

An East Lansing Police Department report includes statements from two witnesses who confirmed Thompson's account. Two days later, officers issued an arrest warrant for Walton for misdemeanor assault and battery. Walton pleaded not guilty at his arraignment on Feb. 23, 2010, and the presiding judge ruled that he was "OK to travel with the MSU basketball team" while his case was pending.

On April 21, 2010, almost three weeks after the Spartans lost to Butler in the Final Four, Walton's assault and battery case was dismissed, and he instead pleaded guilty to a civil infraction for littering

LINK: http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...on-michigan-state-goes-larry-nassar-case-espn

once again....can you provide a link to the law stating izzo was required by federal law to report both cases to the Title IX office? nothing you've provided has shown that.

Here are the details from ESPN regarding the gang rape by Travis Walton & 2 players. As you can see, the AD said he would do his own investigation. Nothing was reported to the Ttitle IX office.

As you can read, the AD spoke to Izzo about this gang rape allegation. Neither of the 2 players were disciplined.

From ESPN.com:

Within that month (April, 2010), Walton's name would come up in another allegation involving a female MSU student. He and two basketball players -- who played for him in the NCAA tournament -- were named in a sexual assault report made by the woman and her parents to the athletic department, according to a university document obtained by Outside the Lines. The woman did not report the incident to police but told counselors about it; her parents later told then-athletic director Hollis that she had been raped off campus by Walton and the two players.

According to the report -- a letter from Allswede, the university sexual assault counselor, to campus administrators that detailed allegations of sexual assaults on campus -- the incident occurred in April 2010. Allswede wrote that the woman's parents decided to report the incident to Hollis because the woman had become concerned after "hearing that the same men attempted an assault on another student co-worker in a similar manner."

Hollis "expressed concern about what happened and stated he understood how upset the victim's parents must be because he couldn't imagine something like this happening to his own daughters," the letter states. It states that Hollis said he would "conduct his own investigation.
"

Several weeks later, the woman's parents met with Hollis and associate athletic director Alan Haller, who told them they had spoken with the coaching staff and were told the incident had been discussed with "the basketball team," according to the letter.

"None of the players were reprimanded in any way," the letter states. "The victim and her mother were told that there's not much that can be done to the players (except to increase awareness of sexual assault and 'intensify' the training program)."

The letter Allswede wrote says Walton was fired. In an interview with Outside the Lines, Allswede says little action was taken in regard to the players, and the report stayed within the athletic department, not to be investigated by anyone who handled student conduct or judicial affairs issues.

"The players got talked to, and the [assistant] coach was let go," she says.

LINK: http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...on-michigan-state-goes-larry-nassar-case-espn

Another Gang rape, this time in Aug, 2010, involved Adreian Payne and Keith Appling:

From ESPN.com:

A different MSU student -- Carolyn Schaner -- and a friend walked into the campus police department in August 2010 and told investigators about an incident that had occurred the night before.

Schaner had moved into Wonders Hall that weekend and attended an orientation meeting. Though she did not know who they were, she saw top basketball recruits Adreian Payne and Keith Appling during the orientation, but she did not speak to them. Later that evening, Schaner ran into them in the dorm's lobby and talked with them before she accepted an invitation to go back to their room, where the three started playing miniature basketball. The two men began taking their clothes off with each missed basket, but Schaner told police she refused to take off any more than her T-shirt, under which she was wearing a sports bra. She told police the two men ended up cornering her and turning off the lights. She told police she felt trapped and fearful of refusing their advances.

Appling, she told police, removed her underwear, and then the two men pulled her to the ground and started penetrating her vaginally, anally and orally. She told police that she said to the men, "I don't want it," "stop" and "don't."

In a video interview obtained by Outside the Lines, Payne told detectives that Schaner had indicated she wanted to leave.

According to a police report, Payne told officers that he could "understand how she would feel that she was not free to leave." Payne was concerned about her reaction to the circumstances and had even asked Appling to apologize to her, the report stated. Payne told officers that he had apologized to Schaner because "it seemed she felt that they 'disrespected' her." ESPN does not typically identify people who report acts of sexual violence, but Schaner sought to publicly reveal her identity.

Appling did not talk to detectives at the time, but he granted a phone interview with Outside the Lines late last year while he was in jail near Detroit serving time for a weapons charge.

"It was consensual," he says, adding that he never heard Schaner say "no" or "stop." "Had that been the case, I would have completely granted her wishes. We're not even those type of guys. We wouldn't want anybody to feel uncomfortable around us."

Shortly after this story published, Payne, who was playing in the NBA on a two-way contract with the Orlando Magic and its development team, was waived by the Magic. Neither he nor his agent responded to requests for comment

Schaner says campus police investigators told her that, because of Payne's police interview, they had a solid case to pursue. Once the case was forwarded from police to Ingham County prosecutors, Schaner was interviewed by an assistant prosecutor, Debra Rousseau Martinez. Schaner says Martinez told her she did not seem strong enough to stand up to questioning that would come as a result of making allegations against MSU basketball players.

No charges were filed in the case.
The assistant prosecutor, Martinez, now works for Michigan State's Title IX office. She declined to comment on Schaner's case.

The Payne-Appling allegations drew local media coverage and prompted campus protests. Due to the publicity, a regional representative from the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights reached out to MSU officials and offered assistance. The representative learned nearly immediately that MSU had not started a Title IX investigation into the matter, which is required by federal law.

The university then hired an outside attorney to conduct a Title IX investigation -- almost two months after Schaner made her initial report. On Dec. 19, 2010, the attorney concluded that the two men did not violate university policy.

Schaner, though, did not accept the finding. In June 2011, she filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights, accusing the university of several missteps. She said the school did not follow its own policy when relocating the two players -- a move she told Outside the Lines she hadn't been made aware of. She said that, despite having a personal protection order, the university allowed Payne and Appling to walk by her and be in close proximity to her. Her complaint also stated that MSU "has been slow to respond to this incident, and has made attempts to keep the incident as quiet as possible."

Records show that both freshmen played in every regular-season game that year; Appling told Outside the Lines that he did not remember if he and Payne received any sort of punishment from coaches.

Last edited:
so no link?
Wow. I obviously linked everything above.

And, as you can read for yourself, the AD and Izzo were required to report the alleged gang rape to the Title IX office. The university would then be required to "start a Title IX investigation, as required by federal law."

What did they do instead? As you can read (or can you?), this is what they did:

* The AD did his own internal investigation, keeping everything in house.

* The AD spoke with Izzo and the coaching staff about it.

* None of the players were reprimanded in any way.

No. nowhere do your links state that izzo was required to report the allegations to the title IX office.

Wrong. Izzo had an obligation to report. Just like Urban Meyer had an obligation to report.

Why are you denying that Izzo had any reporting obligations?

Regarding the Walton gang rape, from ABC News:

Neither Michigan State AD Hollis nor associate athletic director Alan Haller reported the incident to MSU's Title IX investigators at the time....Officials in such positions have been required by federal law to report such incidents to a Title IX office for investigation.

LINK: https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/michi...xual-assault-report-handled/story?id=54286246

please show a link that shows a head mens basketball coach was required by federal law to report the allegations to the title IX office when they occurred.

Reactions: WendallTurnstile
please show a link that shows a head mens basketball coach was required by federal law to report the allegations to the title IX office when they occurred.
Please provide a link that contradicts all the proof and links i have provided that discuss obligations for reporting to the Title IX office.

Also, there is this from the ABC report (and I quote):

"...Athletic Director Hollis told OCR (Office of Civil Rights) officials that coaches [ie, TOM IZZO] knew they were to report ANY INCIDENTS DIRECTLY to the office that handled Title IX complaints."

Tom Izzo failed to report on 3 different occasions in 2010. 3 times in ONE YEAR.

LINK:
https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/michi...xual-assault-report-handled/story?id=54286246

Last edited:
Please provide a link that contradicts all the proof and links i have provided that discuss obligations for reporting to the Title IX office.

you made the claim, several times, that it was federal law for izzo to report the allegations. yet you cannot come up with one link supporting that accusation.

Reactions: WendallTurnstile
you made the claim, several times, that it was federal law for izzo to report the allegations. yet you cannot come up with one link supporting that accusation.
ONE MORE TIME, since Post #59 did not sink into your brain .

This ABC News report supports my claim (and I quote):

"...Athletic Director Hollis told OCR (Office of Civil Rights) officials that coaches [ie, TOM IZZO] knew they were to report ANY INCIDENTS DIRECTLY to the office that handled Title IX complaints."

Tom Izzo failed to report on 3 different occasions in 2010. 3 times in ONE YEAR.

LINK:
https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/michi...xual-assault-report-handled/story?id=54286246

Last edited:
i will accept your admittance that you have no such evidence to back up what you have been claiming.

Having a perpetual losing team is a bitch isn't it? Makes you want to discuss other topics and show your own hypocrisy.

looks like sexual assault runs in the genes there in Iowa.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ving-nude-photos-videos-of-400-boys/38207261/

Did you hear that at your beloved university rape cases keep going up??? Looks like you guys don't care or read your own news. 52 rapes in 2017!

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...-statistics-sexual-assault-on-campus-20181005

How about all the discrimination going on at U of I athletic department. or maybe you don't read your own papers?

https://www.press-citizen.com/story...iowa-hawkeye-gary-barta-settlement/333218001/

Of course there is the sexual harassment by your teachers as well to worry about--

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/U...ting-sexual-harrassment-policy-493655861.html

There is no denying that women are assaulted in high numbers on your campus. Maybe its a culture thing?

https://wqad.com/2016/09/22/survey-...-undergrads-reveals-troubling-rape-statistic/

Having a perpetual losing team is a bitch isn't it? Makes you want to discuss other topics and show your own hypocrisy.

looks like sexual assault runs in the genes there in Iowa.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ving-nude-photos-videos-of-400-boys/38207261/

Did you hear that at your beloved university rape cases keep going up??? Looks like you guys don't care or read your own news. 52 rapes in 2017!

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...-statistics-sexual-assault-on-campus-20181005

How about all the discrimination going on at U of I athletic department. or maybe you don't read your own papers?

https://www.press-citizen.com/story...iowa-hawkeye-gary-barta-settlement/333218001/

Of course there is the sexual harassment by your teachers as well to worry about--

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/U...ting-sexual-harrassment-policy-493655861.html

There is no denying that women are assaulted in high numbers on your campus. Maybe its a culture thing?

https://wqad.com/2016/09/22/survey-...-undergrads-reveals-troubling-rape-statistic/

So you are perfectly fine that Tom Izzo kept Travis Walton on his coaching staff after he punched a girl and knocked her out at a bar?

So you are perfectly fine that Tom Izzo, along with the Michigan State AD, swept the gang rape (Travis Walton and TWO players) under the rug? As you know, your disgraced MSU AD did his own "investigation" and found no wrong doing. The AD and Izzo broke Federal Law by not reporting this to the Title IX office. But you seem to be ok with that.

So you are perfectly fine with Adreian Payne and Keith Appling forcing themselves on a girl (TWO on ONE) where neither player was punished by Izzo?

* In a video interview obtained by ESPN, Payne told detectives that the girl had indicated she wanted to leave.

* According to a police report, Payne told officers that he could "understand how she would feel that she was not free to leave."

* When this assault drew local media coverage, it was discovered that MSU had not started a Title IX investigation into the matter, which is required by federal law.

* It's also interesting because when the ESPN story came out, Payne was immediately dismissed from his pro team, the Orlando Magic! Apparently the Orlando Magic have zero tolerance for this type of thing.

* When Appling was reached by ESPN to discuss this assault case he was sitting in jail near Detroit serving time for a weapons charge.

Izzo didn't break federal law. What a laughable statement.

The University didn't start a title nine investigation which is against federal law. Izzo is not in charge of title nine investigations...he is a basketball coach. He could potentially be fired or sanctioned if he was supposed to report something but didn't. The question remains though on why this is the role of a basketball coach or really a university at all.

The incident was reported to the police. The prosecutor decided not to prosecute...which is the right of the prosecutor whether you like the decision or not

We all know senior leadership was broken with regards to investigations related to sexual assault. Was there collusion between the campus and the prosecutor? That would be an interesting question to answer.

The campus police knew about it so why didn't they report it for an investigation? If they did why wasn't one launched?

None of this relates to Izzo especially if campus police were already aware.

Last edited:
This ABC News report supports my claim (and I quote):

LINK:

I think you are confusing the words Tom Izzo with MichiganState University. They aren't the same thing. Izzo didn't break the law by not reporting anything. Michigan State University may have if they didn't launch a title 9 investigation.

Are you able to make that distinction? There is a really big difference.

And please stop with the multiple copy and paste jobs. You don't seem to understand what you are posting

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT