ADVERTISEMENT

Waaaaaay too early starting 5.......

I like the sleeper thought. Our 3-5 positions will be very solid. We should be able to match up with anyone in the B1G. They will be fun to see... But Our backcourt is really going to have to come together for it to happen. Especially if JBo is out... That noted I am overly eager to see them in action! Joe T, Bakari, CJF, and hopefully CMac with an outside shot. I think we could be good here. Sleeper good.
The roster losses have to ‘officially’ downgrade speculation about this team. But the newcomers appear to address team weaknesses while maintaining a potent offense around JW and Garza. That appears to point forward in momentum. JoeT and Bakari add quickness on both sides of the ball. Nunge could give Garza more space with his shooting and more interior height on D. CJ could be a shooter with more court awareness. Patrick could be a more physically gifted Baer. But they’re all somewhat unknowns on a college court. 3 are frosh, Nunge was 20 lbs lighter playing SF as a frosh 2 yrs ago, Evelyn was recovering from injury last year and in a much more deliberate system per his recent interview. There’s potential to fulfill, but the talent pieces are there to make it an interesting and perhaps ‘sleeper’ year.

This season really could go either way, not sure they will out perform last year’s results but they could meet them or they could drop off a bit, just really depends on how it all comes together.

The 2021 season watch out (provided JW doesn’t leave, which I don’t think he will) bc this team should be stacked with adding JoBo back into the mix.

Hopefully Fran can add a couple of 2020 recruits to the mix. Ones that play some bigtime minutes! Like an XF. There are several good ones out there interested in the Hawks. Hope we can snag a few of them! And soon....

This season really could go either way, not sure they will out perform last year’s results but they could meet them or they could drop off a bit, just really depends on how it all comes together.

The 2021 season watch out (provided JW doesn’t leave, which I don’t think he will) bc this team should be stacked with adding JoBo back into the mix.

Reactions: joemc2
I think the early starting lineup will be C-Mac, Bakari, Joe W, Nunge OR Pemsl, Garza - assuming JoBo is out.

The lineup I like best is Joe T, Bakari, Joe W, Nunge, Garza - though I reserve the right to change my opinion after I get to watch Joe T, Bakari, CJF, and P-Mac play

We lost a lot of talent, but this season may be unique in our ability to reload. Most years I'd expect a step back with the loss of 3 starters (assuming Bohannon sits) and the top reserve. When was the last time though, that we had so many potential starters coming off redshirt seasons? Nunge and Pemsl have both been starters, and Fredrick seems to have the potential to replace what we lost in Moss. Connor is a 3rd year player, and Evelyn a grad transfer. Add in a Top 80 player and one of the top guards from NY, and I like our chances to be good.

It will be interesting to see how Fran mixes the 4 & 5 guys - Garza, Pemsl, Nunge & Kriener (I don't think PMac is going to play any meaningful minutes at the 4). Three of them are natural centers, and Nunge has spent most of his HS and College playing on the outside, leaving no one that has played as an inside PF very much.

These combinations, and how they fit together, are going to be critical on offense and defense.

It will be interesting to see how Fran mixes the 4 & 5 guys - Garza, Pemsl, Nunge & Kriener (I don't think PMac is going to play any meaningful minutes at the 4). Three of them are natural centers, and Nunge has spent most of his HS and College playing on the outside, leaving no one that has played as an inside PF very much.

These combinations, and how they fit together, are going to be critical on offense and defense.
Kriener and Pemsl are both PFs/4s. Kriener can play the 5 but he is more of a 4. Pemsl is not a center/5.

Kriener and Pemsl are both PFs/4s. Kriener can play the 5 but he is more of a 4. Pemsl is not a center/5.

I said "natural 5". They (Kriener & Pemsl) both play very well in deep with their back to the basket. Kriener can shoot the 3 occasionally, but he doesn't really have the floor game of a traditional 4. Pemsl has no shot outside 9 ft. I think Garza, Pemsl and Kriener all have a similar skill set - Garza is just better at it.

When I think of a 4, I think of Aaron White and Chris Street. I'm hoping Nunge can develop that overall PF skill set.

Obviously, someone is going to play the 4.

Just my opinion.

I said "natural 5". They (Kriener & Pemsl) both play very well in deep with their back to the basket. Kriener can shoot the 3 occasionally, but he doesn't really have the floor game of a traditional 4. Pemsl has no shot outside 9 ft. I think Garza, Pemsl and Kriener all have a similar skill set - Garza is just better at it.

When I think of a 4, I think of Aaron White and Chris Street. I'm hoping Nunge can develop that overall PF skill set.

Obviously, someone is going to play the 4.

Just my opinion.
I understand this is your opinion. But Kriener has proved he can make the 8 - 10 foot jump shot as well as play around the bucket. He is also a banger who can defend about anyone inside. That is what I would call a PF.

Pemsl is still young - playing on a bum knee limited him early, but I remember that he had a lot more moves and a better shot before he got injured in HS (he's from my home town). I am hoping that now that he appears to be healthy, his conditioning and shot have improved so that he is more of a threat to shoot out to the 3-pt line. But he still knows his way around the bucket and how to block out, screen, etc., so I fully expect that he will be that guy to do the dirty work inside.

Interesting conversation. Most people in this thread have Toussaint starting at the point. I don't see it, but the play on the court will determine that. Most likely to me is Evelyn starting at the 1, Frederick at the 2 and Wieskamp 3. Then you have the other perimeter players (both McCafferys, Toussaint). I think both Evelyn and Wieskamp will play as many minutes as they can take physically. So many questions marks on the perimeter other than Wieskamp (and to some extent Evelyn). Yes, I know Frederick has been "killing it" during his redshirt season and Toussaint comes from NYC. All good things. But new guys will need time to adjust to the college game.

Nunge played almost entirely inside in high school. He was a big player with some perimeter skills. Which is hopefully how Fran uses him this year. He can step away from the basket, but asking him to guard perimeter players all the time and never posting him up is not a winning formula. Garza, Pemsl, Kriener, Nunge give Iowa 4 guys who all have been in college for going on 3 years and who are physically mature. They can be above average on the interior.

I’ll be midly surprised if Bakari and/or Joe T come out of the gates starting. Neither has yet to prove anything tangible at this level. CJF has not either but he’s put a full year in practicing so that counts for a little and I see Fran rewarding that early.

Let’s keep in mind Bakari is coming from the MVC so there’s going to be a step up in competition on a nightly basis. That league is really starting to fall off.

The locks are the 4 guys up front; Garza, Nunge, Pemsl & Kreiner along with Joe starting at the 3. The backcourt will likely start with Connor & CJF until Bakari & Joe T show something to warrant starting. That might take a couple of games.

I’ll be midly surprised if Bakari and/or Joe T come out of the gates starting. Neither has yet to prove anything tangible at this level. CJF has not either but he’s put a full year in practicing so that counts for a little and I see Fran rewarding that early.

Let’s keep in mind Bakari is coming from the MVC so there’s going to be a step up in competition on a nightly basis. That league is really starting to fall off.

The locks are the 4 guys up front; Garza, Nunge, Pemsl & Kreiner along with Joe starting at the 3. The backcourt will likely start with Connor & CJF until Bakari & Joe T show something to warrant starting. That might take a couple of games.

Don't count out Evelyn as a day 1 starter. He may not have Big Ten experience, but was a multi-year starter at PG and has a well-rounded skill set. Connor has been a Big Ten backup with limitations--still hasn't found his outside shot, good size but not quick enough to stay in front of a lot of guards. Bakari has the tools to shoot, distribute, defend and get to the rim. He's also got two years on Connor. That maturity can make a big difference. Evelyn will have to prove himself, just like everyone else, but his skill set right now IMO makes him a better starter than Connor, at least until Connor becomes a reliable shooter.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Don't count out Evelyn as a day 1 starter. He may not have Big Ten experience, but was a multi-year starter at PG and has a well-rounded skill set. Connor has been a Big Ten backup with limitations--still hasn't found his outside shot, good size but not quick enough to stay in front of a lot of guards. Bakari has the tools to shoot, distribute, defend and get to the rim. He's also got two years on Connor. That maturity can make a big difference. Evelyn will have to prove himself, just like everyone else, but his skill set right now IMO makes him a better starter than Connor, at least until Connor becomes a reliable shooter.

Bakari will likely surprise but there’s nothing you can point to other than MVC play at a marginal Valpo program. That’s the same league that includes UNI who we throttled last year and same league that featured a break out player that could hardly get his shot off against B1G competition and could not bring the ball up the floor after 4 years on our roster. Man I hope to be surprised, but I need to see him in real game action first and I’m thinking Fran will want to do the same (and will reward him if he shows it).

Connor has been a decent defender and has been able to drive on quicker PGs and use his strength and height advantage to score over them. If he can get his outside shooting to a decent percentage, he'd be fine. Otherwise the door is open for someone else with better skills.

Bakari will likely surprise but there’s nothing you can point to other than MVC play at a marginal Valpo program. That’s the same league that includes UNI who we throttled last year and same league that featured a break out player that could hardly get his shot off against B1G competition and could not bring the ball up the floor after 4 years on our roster. Man I hope to be surprised, but I need to see him in real game action first and I’m thinking Fran will want to do the same (and will reward him if he shows it).

He was on a couple of bad Valpo teams in a weak MVC. You're right. But he was asked to do a lot as a player and he shouldered a lot of responsibility, and those things will translate. We'll have to wait and see how good he actually is, but IMO his experience is an advantage.

He was on a couple of bad Valpo teams in a weak MVC. You're right. But he was asked to do a lot as a player and he shouldered a lot of responsibility, and those things will translate. We'll have to wait and see how good he actually is, but IMO his experience is an advantage.

Bakari should be hungry too to show what he can do at this level but as we know by now, this level is a whole different level across an entire season. We’ve seen excellent players struggle here.

I’m just not sold he’ll be a starter day 1 with Connor returning who’s been there already (unless he’s hurt).

Bakari should be hungry too to show what he can do at this level but as we know by now, this level is a whole different level across an entire season. We’ve seen excellent players struggle here.

I’m just not sold he’ll be a starter day 1 with Connor returning who’s been there already (unless he’s hurt).
Bakari may not have excelled as a freshman, but this is his second go round in the B1G. He got to practice every day on a team competing in the Big Ten.

I like Toussaint, but he has a lot of growing to do to beat out a gritty C-Mac. If he splits time with Connor our future is probably in pretty good hands.

I could see the 2/3 going several different directions by the end of the season. If Patrick is better than Fredrick and Evelyn, Wieskamp could slide over and be the starting 2. If it's CJ or Evelyn that are starting material, Wieskamp is our 3 and Patrick and CJ or Evelyn come off the bench.

Conner or Bakari start at the one. I’m going Conner.

CJ Fredericks starts at the 2
Joe W at the 3 ......

That will be your lineup

Reactions: Sheahawk
Conner or Bakari start at the one. I’m going Conner.

CJ Fredericks starts at the 2
Joe W at the 3 ......

That will be your lineup
I like it. Fran must have a lot of confidence in this team to start the game 3 vs 5. Should be interesting.

haha and Nunge and Garcia .... 4 and 5
Dawson Garcia? He committed to Iowa and is forgoing his senior season in high school? That's good news!! ;) I'm just joking around with you! I know you mean Garza. I still think the starting 5 will:
1. Toussaint
2. Evelyn
3. Weiskamp
4. Nunge
5. Garza

I have a feeling there is some kind of a promise made to Toussaint that he would start right away. There was always that rumor with Gesell/Woody. No idea whether that was ever true or not but one thing is certain-Fran is really good at identifying talent early before bigger boys get involved. My gut feels Fran knew he needed a player like that and went all in to get him. I'm probably wrong though because if Moss would have stayed I have a hard time seeing Fran making a promise like that unless he knew Moss was going to leave (again highly unlikely). Even if Bohannon didn't get hurt I think it would have been Toussaint/Bohannon in the backcourt. Connor, Frederick, Patrick, Pemsl, and Kreiner are all solid reserves as long as Fran doesn't play them all at the same time. One thing that I think is guaranteed about Toussaint is his ability to drive and dish. With the players that would be around him that is going to be so important for Iowa in order to be successful. Collapse the defense and kick it out to one of the many shooters or look for one of our skilled big men for an easy layup.

Starting 5 day 1

Conner
CJ
Joe
Luka
Jack

Word is Joe T really struggles to shoot from the summer and same with E. E has run the pg effectively and has age and experience on his side. CJ is being described to me as total all around player. Shoots it , handles, passes and defends. If thats truly the case he starts. Also Conner is shooting the ball so if thats the case he starts.

Starting 5 day 1

Conner
CJ
Joe
Luka
Jack

Word is Joe T really struggles to shoot from the summer and same with E. E has run the pg effectively and has age and experience on his side. CJ is being described to me as total all around player. Shoots it , handles, passes and defends. If thats truly the case he starts. Also Conner is shooting the ball so if thats the case he starts.
Pemsl instead of Nunge.

No Pemsl all off season he has not played at all.
I'm not sure what sources you have, but in a late June interview Pemsl said he's fully cleared for all BBall activities. What makes you think Cordell hasn't been participating in summer practice? In some recent interviews I also thought both Nunge and Bohannon had good things to say about Bakari's shooting.

But he has not practiced all summer
Says who? I haven/t really read any news coming out of practice, other than Bakari showing up about 3 weeks ago, Connor being good to go, and some player interviews last week. Maybe they are being cautious with Pemsl, given all his injury problems, but this is the first I've seen it mentioned he hasn't been practicing with the team.

In this article, dated July 3, 2019, it states that Pemsl was cleared to play earlier in the summer. He states himself that he’s 100%. After the ISU game on December 8, 2018, his surgery was “a couple weeks later”, so late December of 2018.
https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2019/7/3/mens-basketball-waiting-game-over-for-pemsl.aspx

Pemsl talks of “battling it out” with teammates for playing time. But even considering Pemsl now at 100%, without the dynamic athleticism of Cook, Iowa has to have a floor-spacer starting at the 4 for Garza, as well as extra height and shot-blocking on D to help the slow-footed Luka. That means Nunge, or possibly Kriener. Nunge as a lighter frosh had more blocks/min than anyone on the team outside of Baer last year.

Pemsl also compares his to Jordan’s recovery, saying it will be long but worth it. Will be extremely surprised, actually even concerned about who’s advising him, if Jordan plays this year.

Pretty sure I saw Pemsl in those scrimmage clips the athletic department put out recently. Seems like he's practicing.

This insider info? Bummer if Joe T is not shooting well. But he is adjusting to a whole new level of play. That can take some time to work through...

Connor is shooting well? From downtown? If he can hit the 3 this year, that would be huge.

Starting 5 day 1

Conner
CJ
Joe
Luka
Jack

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT