ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early matchup with the Goofers...

Jan 15, 2015
125 - Minn forfeited to PSU but whoever they throw out there should be 5-6 for the Hawks. Mckee is still hobbling so it won't be him.

133 - If it's Glynn he might actually be giving up height to Lewallen. Either way Glynn wins this, if it's Murin you're looking at bonus points. Lewallen is decent with using his leverage but his gas tank is suspect. Glynn by decision, ADS by major

141- I really want to see Murin vs Mckee here but it might be Happel. Mckee wants to scramble, he doesn't generate a lot of offense and lives and dies by the scramble. Happel is technically sound and has to finish quickly if he wants to knock him off. You can ride Mckee as well, Mckee could catch Happel and get 6 for Minnesota

149 - Lugo vs. Brayton Lee - Lugo stays steady and scores 1-2 takedowns here and can win. Lee will tie up scrambles but isn't as flexible as Sasso. Lugo by decision (like most matches)

157 - Young vs. Ryan Thomas - Young wins something like 5-2. Thomas is steady but still wrestles like a high schooler in some spots and Young prevails.

165- Marinelli vs. Bailey O'reilly - O'Reilly is just outclassed here and Marinelli gets a fall.

174 - Kemerer vs Skatzka - Skatzka stays in it early and fights off Kem's shots but Kemerer eventually finishes a couple and beats him in the 3rd. Decision Iowa

184 - Assad/Wilcke vs O Webster - Toss up favoring Hawkeyes, Webster isn't dominant in any one position but has some tools in all positions and is pretty strong. He isn't refined on his feet, he can be ridden, and he gets extended on top, Wilcke wins by Decision

197 - Warner vs. Joles/Anderson - Warner wins a slow match 6-3. Another decision Iowa

285 - Cassioppi vs. Steveson - Gable has too many tools and Cas can't get anything going, Gable wins by major.

I have a final at about 30-8 Hawkeyes.

125 - Minn forfeited to PSU but whoever they throw out there should be 5-6 for the Hawks. Mckee is still hobbling so it won't be him.

133 - If it's Glynn he might actually be giving up height to Lewallen. Either way Glynn wins this, if it's Murin you're looking at bonus points. Lewallen is decent with using his leverage but his gas tank is suspect. Glynn by decision, ADS by major

141- I really want to see Murin vs Mckee here but it might be Happel. Mckee wants to scramble, he doesn't generate a lot of offense and lives and dies by the scramble. Happel is technically sound and has to finish quickly if he wants to knock him off. You can ride Mckee as well, Mckee could catch Happel and get 6 for Minnesota

149 - Lugo vs. Brayton Lee - Lugo stays steady and scores 1-2 takedowns here and can win. Lee will tie up scrambles but isn't as flexible as Sasso. Lugo by decision (like most matches)

157 - Young vs. Ryan Thomas - Young wins something like 5-2. Thomas is steady but still wrestles like a high schooler in some spots and Young prevails.

165- Marinelli vs. Bailey O'reilly - O'Reilly is just outclassed here and Marinelli gets a fall.

174 - Kemerer vs Skatzka - Skatzka stays in it early and fights off Kem's shots but Kemerer eventually finishes a couple and beats him in the 3rd. Decision Iowa

184 - Assad/Wilcke vs O Webster - Toss up favoring Hawkeyes, Webster isn't dominant in any one position but has some tools in all positions and is pretty strong. He isn't refined on his feet, he can be ridden, and he gets extended on top, Wilcke wins by Decision

197 - Warner vs. Joles/Anderson - Warner wins a slow match 6-3. Another decision Iowa

285 - Cassioppi vs. Steveson - Gable has too many tools and Cas can't get anything going, Gable wins by major.

I don’t think Cass goes if he’s even slightly dinged up against that caliber of wrestler. Call it ducking call it whatever you want. I wouldn’t send him out there to wrestle the goofers in a meaningless dual when they have zero chance in winning it anyway. March is right around the corner. It’ll be like Michigan all over again. “The silver lining”

If Cass is healthy you wrestle him because he needs to learn to finish against guys like that. Also if they don’t wrestle Spencer more reason not to wrestle Cass. Cass gains nothing by beating Gable, they would be 2/3 at big tens.

I don’t think Cass goes if he’s even slightly dinged up against that caliber of wrestler. Call it ducking call it whatever you want. I wouldn’t send him out there to wrestle the goofers in a meaningless dual when they have zero chance in winning it anyway. March is right around the corner. It’ll be like Michigan all over again. “The silver lining”
If this dual is "meaningless" like you say then sit, Lee,Lugo,Young,Marinelli,Kemm,Warner, and Cass.

This dual won't be that close, and all the "he's ducking" trolls might as well start belly aching now. Cass obviously tweaked something in the Paris match and I am 95% certain he will be a no go this weekend. Injuries suck, but it is a part of wrestling. Get healthy for when it counts is all I have to say about it.

Last edited:
If (when) Iowa wins the Title, NOBODY that matters will give two rats arses that Cass didn't wrestle Steveson. Health is far more important than any chest thumping at this point. Win the war - not every battle.

Reactions: tiltman and Boro407
who says he is injured? Stupid to suggest that at this point

Did I say he was injured?

Its not stupid. Think outside yourself and you just wanting to have a better HWT match to watch on sat night.

He obviously is wearing a knee wrap. That same knee look like it got aggrevated in his last match.

Cass has nothing to gain even if he beats Gable this Saturday. Cass is a 2 or 3 seed no matter what would happen.

Let him rest that knee up whatever it is and be as healthy as possible at Bigtens. I wouldnt want him to aggravate that knee anymore. Pretty good chance Gable will have that leg up in the air jerking on that knee a time or two. Absolutely no point in playing with fire this weekend.

I believe we all dont want to see Gwiz vs Stoll part 2. HWTs have just too much weight, power and torque. Dont make it worse if Cass even has any doubt that knee isnt 100%.

Take your 3 seed and roll into Piscataway NJ and fight another day.

Last edited:
I don’t see neither pletcher or nick lee as locks for 141.
Real Woods is real good and only getting better since the start of the season.
Dom Demas can put anyone on their back for a 6 point lead.
we just gotta hope at least one or prefabbly both of those guys are on Lee’s side of the bracket.

Reactions: Ihawkd9times
I honestly would only put out Spencer, Young, Bull, Assad, Warner. and roll with 5 backups at the other weights.

I would feel good about Happel vs McKee. McKee is highly overrated. Turk and Brayton Lee would be a toss up. Lets see what Nelson does at 174 vs a very tough Skatzka. IMO another toss up.

this might sound crazy but this would be the one perfect time to let Cashman go at 125. He can win that. And then let Spencer go out at 133.

Typically Id say you are crazy but Spencer needs a 7 min match for conditioning the week before he faces Picc and then its post season. Minnys 125 wont give Spencer more than 2 min of cardio. Better chance McKee can maybe push it 7 minutes.

Murin is making the cut to 133? Lol

this might sound crazy but this would be the one perfect time to let Cashman go at 125. He can win that. And then let Spencer go out at 133.

Typically Id say you are crazy but Spencer needs a 7 min match for conditioning the week before he faces Picc and then its post season. Minnys 125 wont give Spencer more than 2 min of cardio. Better chance McKee can maybe push it 7 minutes.
I think cashman got hurt sat wrestling in wisconsin at that open.

That is an interesting take. I’m not saying I agree nor disagree, but that’s why I love this forum. So many people come in with some out of the box thinking and a different perspective. I do kind of like that idea, but Cashman medically forfeited out of the open this weekend after his first match I believe, so unfortunately I don’t think it’s possible.

Other than he is hurt

I think you meant Dryden not Lewallen. Dryden is probably the tallest 133 in the country, he's like 6'2" or something like that.

Reactions: andegre

Cashman medically forfeited two matches after his first round win at the last tournament.

Can anyone confirm if Cashman was injured in his last tournament?
Gold 125
  • Champ. Round 1 – Aaron Cashman (Iowa) won by fall over Cristian Chavez (Luther) (Fall 1:33)
  • Quarterfinal – Brandon Betancourt (St. Cloud State) won by injury default over Aaron Cashman (Iowa) (Inj. 6:10)
  • Cons. Round 2 – Sam Camacho (Luther) won by medical forfeit over Aaron Cashman (Iowa) (MFF)

Reactions: andegre
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT