ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2017-18 Season

Jenni Fitzgerald has been promoted to Associate Head Coach. They now have two, Jenni and Jan Jensen.

Penn State's Teniya Page fractures right ankle at USA Under-23 camp
Aug 3, 2017

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Penn State guard Teniya Page suffered a fracture/dislocation to her right ankle during an intrasquad game at the USA Basketball Under-23 camp on Thursday morning.

She was taken to Memorial Hospital, where she was treated. She has been released and will require an orthopedic evaluation to determine her follow-up care and treatment.

Page averaged 19.9 points as a sophomore at Penn State last season.
An article from ESPN.

Penn State's Teniya Page fractures right ankle at USA Under-23 camp
Aug 3, 2017

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Penn State guard Teniya Page suffered a fracture/dislocation to her right ankle during an intrasquad game at the USA Basketball Under-23 camp on Thursday morning.

She was taken to Memorial Hospital, where she was treated. She has been released and will require an orthopedic evaluation to determine her follow-up care and treatment.

Page averaged 19.9 points as a sophomore at Penn State last season.
An article from ESPN.

That sucks for her.

If Page is out for the season it changes everything for PSU. When she was out for awhile last year they really struggled.
Of course, she came back in time to face Iowa.

Nov 19-25 a tough stretch. Four games over six days in two countries.
Elon an NCAA team, and W. Michigan/Charlotte no slouches.

Paula has arrived from Spain!
DCx9My-V0AEVUAD.jpg

Last edited:
Looks as if Zion Sanders is doing some workouts with the team based on photos posted by Coach J. Assuming she has been added to the team otherwise she couldn't attend these workouts? #24 in first photo.

Zion was with some members of the team at the Iowa-Iowa State soccer match tonight. (Hawks won!)

I wonder too, they have 4 open. But maybe thy have recruits lined up. They only lose Chase. Have Martin, Czinano, and Cook for 2018.

Who is your surprise for this year? My pick is Chase Coley. She is a senior who has shown flashes. I think that she will play up to her potential and in control this year. She may be a starter at the 4 or first big off the bench.

Runners-up: Lexi Sevillian steps up because Tania Davis isn't up to full speed or Jinaya Houston does the "I'm not a freshman" act.

I think that there will be competition for minutes once the games get serious. Players will need that extra something to get into the top 8 for meaningful court time.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Who is your surprise for this year? My pick is Chase Coley. She is a senior who has shown flashes. I think that she will play up to her potential and in control this year. She may be a starter at the 4 or first big off the bench.

Runners-up: Lexi Sevillian steps up because Tania Davis isn't up to full speed or Jinaya Houston does the "I'm not a freshman" act.

I think that there will be competition for minutes once the games get serious. Players will need that extra something to get into the top 8 for meaningful court time.

Amanda. I think she'll be Ally's heir apparent - a forward able to take people off the dribble. It looked like she was chomping for more minutes toward the end of last year.

Reactions: oldhawk56
We have had freshmen earn starting roles at least the last 4 years. I am hoping Houston is good enough to play. Amanda can play the 3, has height, confidence and can rebound for sure. But can she guard a 3., not sure

Yes, yes, whatever is going on with Houston, all of us wish her nothing but the best of luck and fortune. Difficult situations can be made into large positives. Hope it works out for her.

As for the team, the season goes on and there are multiple players who now have a greater opportunity to show they deserve a bigger role on a winning team!

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...naya-houston-wont-return-to-hawkeyes-20170918
Jinaya won't be back. But some good news on the Tania Davis front...
Bluder said junior point guard Tania Davis is “about two months further along than we expected” in her rehab from a torn ACL suffered late last season.

“I didn’t think we would have her back until Christmas,” Bluder said. “She’s not doing full-court drills, but her half-court is pretty darn good. When we start (practice) Oct. 6, I think she’ll be a full-go with a brace.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...naya-houston-wont-return-to-hawkeyes-20170918
Jinaya won't be back. But some good news on the Tania Davis front...
Bluder said junior point guard Tania Davis is “about two months further along than we expected” in her rehab from a torn ACL suffered late last season.

“I didn’t think we would have her back until Christmas,” Bluder said. “She’s not doing full-court drills, but her half-court is pretty darn good. When we start (practice) Oct. 6, I think she’ll be a full-go with a brace.
She was moving pretty well on Saturday.

My wife was hosting a table at the University of Iowa's Study Abroad Fair when a tall young woman came up and talked at length. It was Paula Valiño Ramos, freshman from Spain. She was surprised when Jill asked for her autograph. Welcome to Iowa, Paula.

I see the full schedule with game times filled in is out on hawkeyesports.com. Now I am curious if anyone knows the status of the Puerto Rico Classic they are scheduled to participate in over Thanksgiving. I presume it can't be played in Puerto Rico now. Anyone know if there is a backup plan? Or do they just lose the three games?

http://hawkeyesports.com/schedule.aspx?path=wbball

Some tournaments got moved last year. My guess is that they find a new venue.

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Due to damage sustained by Hurricane Maria, the 2017 Women's Basketball Puerto Rico Classic has been moved from San Juan, Puerto Rico to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The tournament will be played at Dillard High School from Nov. 22-25.

2017 Puerto Rico Challenge Schedule
Nov. 22 Morgan State 12:30 p.m.
Nov. 23 Charlotte 11 a.m.
Nov. 25 Elon 4 p.m.

Picked up a basketball mag today. It had both Quinnipiac and Missouri ranked. It'll be an exciting opening weekend!

Yes, the Hawkeye Challenge is early this year, with some tough teams. The hawks will get an early read on where they are and what they need to work on.
Just hope Ft. Lauderdale doesn't get a hurricane before Thanksgiving.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT